• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Followed by Mysterious New Reveal Direct Airs June 9

From interest survey to production in two weeks flat! Xbox Handheld incoming! ;)

nduDIok.png

“”we value your opinion “

No you don’t .

Codes 208

Not that this denies a Gears game at the show, multiple 'insiders' have said it'll be there.

Fingers crossed.
Im sure itll still be there, but call of duty is the worlds worst kept secret regarding anything so theyd happily tease that but not gears or halo

Stafford

Sounds exciting. They had a pretty sweet showcase last year. Looking forward to seeing Avowed and Fable.

They better have Fable yeah. The super brief gameplay bits looked great, especially the outdoor bits, but we need more. If it's a no show, then I wonder if 2025 will be the launch.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I doubt it, look behind the logo, its the US capitol building. Gears takes place in a fictional planet, theres no connection here.

Thats definitely black ops themed
If it's COD...then the redaction makes sense...government mumbo jumbo...blah blah blah....the numberrrrrrrrrrrs. Still, I'm holding out hope for a brand new IP. However since it's a separate conference related to Xbox...in the past those were reserved for the big acquisitions. Bethesda had one...maybe two...and now it's Activision's turn.

Damnit....now I'm not as excited.

Mortisfacio

I know the internet at large still hates D4, but I'm hoping since Blizzard said no BlizzCon this year that they show the D4 expansion (possibly the raid) at this. The S4 patch is shaping up really nice and as much as I hated D4 at launch, I really like it with what's to come in the May patch.

ManaByte

Gold Member
E3 died for this

Posts like this show that people don't even know what E3 really was. The growth (and eventual plateau where we're at now) of gaming is what killed E3, because it no longer served its purpose.

Its purpose wasn't to wow console warriors with elaborate press conferences. E3 was a trade show where the big publishers would wine and dine the retail buyers every year to secure shelf space for their holiday releases. 25 years ago the publishers still had to convince retailers to stock their games. Now games are carried everywhere and a show like E3 isn't needed.

Ozriel

M$FT
CoD: Wolves?!

LMAO. I'm seeing the Capital building in the background so it's not fantasy. If it's CoD, expectations are zero and i'm completely uninterested. Sigh...

CoD is CoD. A known quantity at this point. What other ‘expectations’ could you possibly have?

Is there a rite of passage of some sort for people to pop in to proclaim they’re uninterested in one of the biggest gaming franchises?

Ozriel

M$FT
Back on topic, from a business perspective it seems like a smart move to have a new CoD reveal during the show and a deep dive right at the end of the show. The viewer count will very likely be the highest in years.

From a marketing perspective, probably first year with an Xbox COD console bundle in a decade. If that can’t move units, nothing else will.

CoD is CoD. A known quantity at this point. What other ‘expectations’ could you possibly have?

Is there a rite of passage of some sort for people to pop in to proclaim they’re uninterested in one of the biggest gaming franchises?
In this case, yes. Because teasing a secret Direct that turns out to just be the annual CoD game would be the most boring reveal in the entire world.

And more to your point, it's a known quantity. So why they would think it makes sense to make it the secret game behind this mysterious secret Direct would be extremely lame and underwhelming. The epitome of not reading your audience.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
In this case, yes. Because teasing a secret Direct that turns out to just be the annual CoD game would be the most boring reveal in the entire world.

Under the previous marketing deal COD would get a trailer at the summer showcase and then nothing until August for the MP reveal. This is the first time a COD game has been given 4 years development time and the first time it's been given a reveal like this.

Ozriel

M$FT

And more to your point, it's a known quantity. So why they would think it makes sense to make it the secret game behind this mysterious secret Direct would be extremely lame and underwhelming. The epitome of not reading your audience.

I don’t think you understand that this year’s COD is yet to be revealed. The subtitle of the game is yet to be announced and is not known to most people outside rumors and leaks.

Thats why it’s blanked out there as a ‘secret game’. They will definitely reveal it during the first phase of the showcase.

It’s going to be the biggest game of 2024. I suspect you’re severely overestimating the number of people who will be ‘disappointed’. It might be ‘boring’ to you but far more people will be tuned in.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Under the previous marketing deal COD would get a trailer at the summer showcase and then nothing until August for the MP reveal. This is the first time a COD game has been given 4 years development time and the first time it's been given a reveal like this.

Last time Microsoft promoted a game like this it was incredibly overhyped. Not sure why COD needs anything other than a trailer, but I guess we will find out, for better or worse.

Last edited:

NickFire

Hey - don't damper our hopes yet. Yes, it is a known quantity in most respects but don't forget that MW3 was more of an expansion. So a lot of us long time COD players are hoping for a big leap this year since they had extra time between completely new games. And the Gulf war time period is promising too.

I don’t think you understand that this year’s COD is yet to be revealed. The subtitle of the game is yet to be announced and is not known to most people outside rumors and leaks.

Thats why it’s blanked out there as a ‘secret game’. They will definitely reveal it during the first phase of the showcase.

It’s going to be the biggest game of 2024. I suspect you’re severely overestimating the number of people who will be ‘disappointed’. It might be ‘boring’ to you but far more people will be tuned in.

I’m completely flaccid and will not be watching it at all if it’s call of duty and so many other people. But, enjoy! Hope you love it

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The Starfield Direct is one of the best examples of game marketing ever made. I really enjoyed it. It wasnt a lie. Its like people dont want marketing.

Yep, the SF direct was pretty unanimously praised last year. For this year, I do find it a bit weird that they're devoting a full 30 min direct to CoD but I guess they have $70 billion reasons to do that.

Also, if they're going to start dropping the CoD games on Game Pass, no time like a dedicated CoD show to start doing that.

Hey - don't damper our hopes yet. Yes, it is a known quantity in most respects but don't forget that MW3 was more of an expansion. So a lot of us long time COD players are hoping for a big leap this year since they had extra time between completely new games. And the Gulf war time period is promising too.

If anything, this one should avoid the MW3 issues. This is reportedly the longest time a single CoD game has been given to develop since it became an annual franchise. 4+ years of development.

If nothing else, Treyarch's games have some of the best fire-tech, so expecting some good flamethrowers.

Last edited:

NickFire

Yep, the SF direct was pretty unanimously praised last year. For this year, I do find it a bit weird that they're devoting a full 30 min direct to CoD but I guess they have $70 billion reasons to do that.

Also, if they're going to start dropping the CoD games on Game Pass, no time like a dedicated CoD show to start doing that.

If anything, this one should avoid the MW3 issues. This is reportedly the longest time a single CoD game has been given to develop since it became an annual franchise. 4+ years of development.

If nothing else, Treyarch's games have some of the best fire-tech, so expecting some good flamethrowers.
The long dev time smacked in the middle of a generation is exactly why I am excited to see what is coming.

As an aside, MW3 is a really good game. It's overpriced because they treated it like an entirely new game, but the movement and gunplay is still stellar. If multiplayer is your primary reason to play it there is plenty of fun to still be had. And the absurd skins are fun. I hope they carry over again (like MW2 to MW3), but that is kind of doubtful.

Topher

Gold Member
The Starfield Direct is one of the best examples of game marketing ever made. I really enjoyed it. It wasnt a lie. Its like people dont want marketing.

I thoroughly enjoyed the showcase, but the game simply did not live up to the hype it generated. I don't think that's a controversial statement at all.

It's Treyarch and Black Ops. The most popular COD dev and series.

Doesn't really change anything I said, but ok...

Last time Microsoft promoted a game like this it was incredibly overhyped. Not sure why COD needs anything other than a trailer, but I guess we will find out, for better or worse.
Kind of curious if this show is going to replace the COD Next events

Side note expect blurry off axis pictures soon of pro athletes getting invited to play early

Ribi

Yes. The death of E3 has led to more frequent states of plays and developer directs.

Let E3's carcass rot.
More garbage state of plays with garbage reveals instead of carefully curated game selection that people can get hyped about all at once.

E3 died for this.

Top Bottom