• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Games Showcase Followed by Mysterious New Reveal Direct Airs June 9

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Figure it out, folks.

EzlCjho.jpeg

BoxFresh123

Do people think it's anything but COD?

Here's the next COD day 1 on GP is their next big GP push.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
With forza don't they do early release and then additional content as paid ultimate edition to get people to pay for the game vs just using the gamepass version?

Obviously they will make money from the playstation users but how are they going to get money from xbox and windows store pc game (GP) players?

Single player paywall?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
With forza don't they do early release and then additional content as paid ultimate edition to get people to pay for the game vs just using the gamepass version?

Obviously they will make money from the playstation users but how are they going to get money from xbox and windows store pc game (GP) players?

Single player paywall?

Early access bundles and the usual monetization through DLC (and the recurring GP monthly costs).

Although, I am still not 100% sure this years game lands on GP day 1.

I distinctly remember a part of the FTC docs being that Sony retains the marketing rights until 2024, which is probably why this CoD thing is being spun as its own direct, instead of being a part of the Xbox showcase.

I may be wrong and it might have been 2023 though.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Early access bundles and the usual monetization through DLC (and the recurring GP monthly costs).

Although, I am still not 100% sure this years game lands on GP day 1.

I distinctly remember a part of the FTC docs being that Sony retains the marketing rights until 2024, which is probably why this CoD thing is being spun as its own direct, instead of being a part of the Xbox showcase.

I may be wrong and it might have been 2023 though.
I know the gamepass thing has been beaten to death...but CoD is expensive. They are going to need something to keep make sure "number go up". You can only split recurring revenue between so many projects (1st and 3rd party). I am sure they have worked out the math or they wouldn't have made the purchase but it will just want to see how the numbers washes out on the back end.

When To Watch The Xbox Showcase 2024 In Australia And New Zealand

ACT, NSW, QLD, TAS, VIC
Monday, June 10
3:00 AM AEST

NT, SA
Monday, June 10
2:30 AM ACST

WA
Monday, June 10
1:00 AM AWST

NZ
Monday, June 10
5:00 AM NZST

3AM for me. oooof. I don't think so on a Monday. No live GAF thread for me.

Ozriel

M$FT
I thoroughly enjoyed the showcase, but the game simply did not live up to the hype it generated. I don't think that's a controversial statement at all.

Doesn't really change anything I said, but ok...

Starfield’s failings can’t dictate their future marketing plans for other big titles.
The format works well, and this will serve to bring even more eyes to their other games in the showcase itself.

Single player paywall?

Gamepass isn’t free. GP players also buy MTX.

I know the gamepass thing has been beaten to death...but CoD is expensive. They are going to need something to keep make sure "number go up". You can only split recurring revenue between so many projects (1st and 3rd party). I am sure they have worked out the math or they wouldn't have made the purchase but it will just want to see how the numbers washes out on the back end.

retail numbers on Xbox would go down, but it also means they’d have on-boarded a ton of new GP subscribers. It doesn’t look like a losing scenario either way.

The game will continue to sell well on PlayStation and Steam, and they’re launching on the Switch 2 as well for even more retail cash.

TheTony316

Doom Eternal, Hellblade are better on Xbox. Doom as a matter of fact runs at a significantly higher resolution and has better performance in the 120fps mode.

I'm talking about the recently released first party games like Hifi Rush and Sea of Thieves. Doom Eternal released ages ago long before the acquisition.

Last edited:

Chukhopops

Single player paywall?
78% of ABK revenue as of their latest report (2022) was from « in-game net bookings » aka microtransactions.

Under 4% of ABK revenue was from physical sales. It’s probably even less now.

I don’t think they will add the new CoD to GP this year but even if they did it wouldn’t be a gigantic loss.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I'm hyped for the future of Xbox. The studio acquisitions are starting to come into play now. Hellblade 2, Avowed, Fable, Perfect Dark. Just a small sample of the greatness that lies ahead. Go Xbox!

Star Wars Force GIF by Xbox

midnightAI

You said every Xbox first-party game, I understand the delusions of a fanboy but check your facts before posting next time.
To be fair, I presumed he meant the newly announced/released XBox first party games, not ones that were released prior to MS's purchase of those companies.

Also, isn't Doom Eternal an iD game under Bethesda which is a Microsoft Gaming subsidiary and not Xbox Games? (i agree that Ninja Theory is under the Xbox Games umbrella though, but that (Hellblade) was released long before MS bought them, if you boot up Hellblade on PlayStation you wont see the XBox logo)

Last edited:
Not gonna lie, I'm more interested in the hardware than the games at the moment - not cos I'm down on the games, quite the opposite, I think they already have their act together there going forward, but I want to see some bold moves on the hardware side. More power and open it up, a lot. Plus a handheld. Love my Steam Deck. Playing all my Xbox, PS5 and PC games on there at the moment via remote play, pretty much exclusively.

Salz01

Fable looked lame last showing. I don’t have high hopes for that one. If they don’t show Gears and or a Perfect Dark tease, the show will be a fail. They just want to go after that COD pie And that’s just boring.

MarkMe2525

I miss the days of MS show in the morning and Sony in the evening (depending on your timezone). My memory could just be flat out wrong, but I don't remember much pushback from the fan base, when they pulled out

Topher

Gold Member
Starfield’s failings can’t dictate their future marketing plans for other big titles.
The format works well, and this will serve to bring even more eyes to their other games in the showcase itself.

Yeah, you're right. It is a good way to highlight big games. And typically games get more previews leading up to launch than Starfield did.

Ozriel

M$FT
Do we really need 30 minutes of CoD? Fable or Avowed would be more appropriate.

Putting that 30 mins COD slot there is an example of the good marketing you folks always say you want Xbox to do more of.

The COD reveals are extremely popular, and dragging that crowd along to watch your showcase is a great marketing opportunity for other titles.

Fable looked lame last showing. I don’t have high hopes for that one.

No idea how anyone could say the last showing was lame.

Top Bottom