• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

GrapeApes

My Nexus 5 boot-looped. :( It didn't even have the courtesy to wait for J8sus, Xperia ZX Spectrum or the Pixel 2 to come out before dying.
Have you tried slamming the power button? Imagine the power button is a a hammer head a hard surface is the nail. Worked for me when I had boot looping with the phone. Of course the phone stopped recognizing Sims after that.

EmiPrime

Have you tried slamming the power button? Imagine the power button is a a hammer head a hard surface is the nail. Worked for me when I had boot looping with the phone. Of course the phone stopped recognizing Sims after that.

you fucking genius

SIM still works too!

Cross posting from the Galaxy S8 OT...

I've been having a weird issue with the phone the past few days... I'm not automatically getting notifications from various apps unless I open them. I can't tell if it's an issue with the phone, the apps or my network?

For example.. every time I open FB messenger, I get a tonne of notifications pour in at once from conversations. These don't come through naturally. I just noticed the same with my gmail. I had 4 new emails but no notification till I opened the app.

As far as I can tell, notifications are set to on?
Go to battery settings, tap the 3 dot menu, go to advanced settings, turn off app power monitoring or something like that. It's Samsung's version of Greenify or doze or whatever. That may be the cause.

Hasney

Heh, the S8+ actually left enough impression on me that I'm analysing all the videos I'm watching to see if I'd miss much if it was full screen and cropped (not stretched. God no stretched). Then I have over 6" of screen again.

CronoShot

Damn. Moto g?

Moto Z Play. For a comparison, my Pixel with that same usage would be somewhere between 15 and 20 percent.

I think what impresses me the most about the phone isn't even the battery life: performance is silky smooth, even on a midrange processor.

Even coming from a Pixel, and I can hardly tell any difference at all in terms of smoothness. If the Pixel were a 10/10 in terms of performance, the Moto Z Play feels like a 9.5/10, and it feels significantly smoother than the LG G6 I used for a couple weeks.

It's crazy.

Jeffrey

Moto Z Play. For a comparison, my Pixel with that same usage would be somewhere between 15 and 20 percent.

I think what impresses me the most about the phone isn't even the battery life: performance is silky smooth, even on a midrange processor.

Even coming from a Pixel, and I can hardly tell any difference at all in terms of smoothness. If the Pixel were a 10/10 in terms of performance, the Moto Z Play feels like a 9.5/10, and it feels significantly smoother than the LG G6 I used for a couple weeks.

It's crazy.

Yep. Secretly one of the best phones last year. Smoother than my s8+ at the very least lol.

Yep. Secretly one of the best phones last year. Smoother than my s8+ at the very least lol.
Yeah, I played with a Moto Z Play at a Verizon store and found it to be really smooth compared to my S7 Edge.

Unless a phone is really able to blow me away this year (not sure what would impress me at this point), I think I might buy a Z Play for cheap once I pay off my S7 Edge for the great battery life. No other features really matter to me these days (other than having an SD card support).

Only Samsung Pay is something I think is cool on Samsung phones, but I've almost never used it (my bank still doesn't support their debit cards with it). Having double the battery life would be worth giving up I think.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I wonder who are the poor suckers who buy LG phones week one.

Quasar

I wonder who are the poor suckers who buy LG phones week one.

I bought my 5x week one. Still pretty happy with it.Or at least happy enough to ride it out till after O I guess when updates stop. By then I'll see whether I go to a Pixel 2 or jump to an iPhone 8.

Though maybe OnePlus will finally sell phones in Australia and I'll consider them.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
I bought my 5x week one. Still pretty happy with it.Or at least happy enough to ride it out till after O I guess when updates stop. By then I'll see whether I go to a Pixel 2 or jump to an iPhone 8.

Though maybe OnePlus will finally sell phones in Australia and I'll consider them.
Eh that's a Nexus. Doesn't count :p

Hasney

My 6P started randomly rebooting, even after a factory reset, installing no extra apps and then even downgrading firmware just to make really sure. Got an S8+ after all instead of bothering with support. I'll just get £150 for the poor broken thing.

talking about bootloop my nexus 5 is getting worse, everytime I push the power button it launch the camera and restart every hour. at least I'm lucky it's not stuck in bootloop.

Mindwipe

Wish reviews would notice!

Maybe I'm just super sensitive to this stuff but there's been plenty of reviewers that have reviewed pixel and oneplus 3t that praise the performance of a US s8.

GAF, being a board of people who care deeply about 60FPS and are constantly looking for it, are way, way, WAY more sensitive than the general population.

I literally cannot tell the difference smoothness wise between my S8 and my Pixel when side by side.

reKon

Banned
GAF, being a board of people who care deeply about 60FPS and are constantly looking for it, are way, way, WAY more sensitive than the general population.

I literally cannot tell the difference smoothness wise between my S8 and my Pixel when side by side.

"_______ doesn't have the best graphics because I can't run it at 4K and 60 FPS. Doesn't look that great"

"Nope, not buying because it doesn't run at 60 FPS" (regarding ______ console game)

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Ruddock is going on about the scroll jank on the S8 -

Now, I have a Pixel XL, Exynos S8+, and a Mate 9 in front of me, and honestly, I see it. Pulling down the notification bar, I see frame drops. Swiping up/down the menu, I see it.

Chalk it up to early software, I guess, but I see the complaints of 'lagginess' while using my S8+. Maybe it's an Exynos thing?

Just needs more polish, imo.

Jeffrey

It's the delay that's the most noticeable for me.

Sometimes I hit home I have to wait a sec for a response. Same with multitasking button.

Just not consistent.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook

While I agree that for most people it's a non issue it would be nice if in 2017 people who are paying say $800 on a new Samsung didn't even have to wonder if they'll care about this in the first place cause it doesn't exist.

Mindwipe

Ruddock is going on about the scroll jank on the S8 -

Now, I have a Pixel XL, Exynos S8+, and a Mate 9 in front of me, and honestly, I see it. Pulling down the notification bar, I see frame drops. Swiping up/down the menu, I see it.

Chalk it up to early software, I guess, but I see the complaints of 'lagginess' while using my S8+. Maybe it's an Exynos thing?

Just needs more polish, imo.

I'm using a Exynos.

I don't see any delay on the home button etc that I don't see on my Pixel. Even iOS doesn't consistently deliver less than one second home button responsiveness.

I notice a delay on the S8 as well. It's not as bad as the S3 days though when there was something like a 3 second delay if you had the trash heap known as S Voice enabled.

Jeffrey

I'm using a Exynos.

I don't see any delay on the home button etc that I don't see on my Pixel. Even iOS doesn't consistently deliver less than one second home button responsiveness.
Could be just snapdragon issue. Samsung really has no excuse. Both chipset are coming out of their own ass. Should be able to optimize for both.

100% agree. 0.5 sec delay is end. If speed is only criteria then iPhone should be your only option.

Jeffrey

Android has quicker animations out of the box too. Feel like android is generally smooth these days. Samsung snapdragon is the exception lol.

Also g6 is $500 on tmobile. No weird credit gimmicks.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
TouchWiz (or whatever the new name of it is) got an update from the Samsung apps store...seems to be a hair more responsive

Got my G6 for 500. No Google Home but I would have just flipped it. Oh well I ain't even mad. Super happy with it.

How is it? I've been heavily contemplating getting the S8, coming from a Nexus 5x. However, if the G6 is $500, that is now another thing to consider. What's your hot take on the G6?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
are there good video conversion tools for android compatible devices? trying to watch some movies videos via gear vr, but its not doing well.

How is it? I've been heavily contemplating getting the S8, coming from a Nexus 5x. However, if the G6 is $500, that is now another thing to consider. What's your hot take on the G6?

Love it. I've never had an edge phone before and have no desire to get one. There's little things on the LG UI that I like better than the Samsung one (for example album art on lock screen) that sways me to LG.

Top Bottom