• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Android |OT7| Now With a Whole New Messaging System

Dying at this comment on AP about the Whatsapp outage.

Google right now.
71548696e196a89e5f630adb9ee4785ac33c35c4b1ade1a863a41384c0cbcdcf.jpg

Ty4on

GAF, being a board of people who care deeply about 60FPS and are constantly looking for it, are way, way, WAY more sensitive than the general population.

I literally cannot tell the difference smoothness wise between my S8 and my Pixel when side by side.

Nah. I think this is in part why Apple does so well. I'd love to see some testing on input lag as well because that seems to be a sore point on some devices.

You also have to look at how slow it is when it starts chugging because of heavy load, heat, whatever. I feel like I'm in heaven when I'm back at my computer and can actually do stuff quickly.

Jeffrey

more rumors pointing at jesus phone delayed to 2018 lol.

gah...

think ill switch to t-mobile if AT&T can't figure out their wifi calling situation this year to support unlocked phones.

Jeffrey

found my old nexus 7 2013. smoother than my s8+.

T-Mobile is looking better and better every day that goes by.

main issue now for me is the cost. 5 lines for me with employee discount at at&t for 20gb is about 170 a month. t-mobile with be $200.

Remind me to never take another BGR article seriously.

http://bgr.com/2017/05/03/android-7-...ket-share-may/

you are years late. Heck even if the articles are good, the ad situation on that site is insane.

found my old nexus 7 2013. smoother than my s8+.

main issue now for me is the cost. 5 lines for me with employee discount at at&t for 20gb is about 170 a month. t-mobile with be $200.

you are years late. Heck even if the articles are good, the ad situation on that site is insane.

T-Mobile One should be $180 for 5 lines (if you setup auto pay) with unlimited data and 10gb hotspot per line. That includes all taxes and fees. Not sure if they are still doing the Insider discount, but if they are find someone who works for T-Mobile to give you a code and it would knock another 20% off of the $180 per month for as long as you are a customer. That would get you down to $144 a month out the door. I know all of this because I was an AT&T customer for 15 years and moved my family over to T-Mobile a few months ago. Also if you have lines that would use less than 2 gb of data per month, they'll knock $10 off your bill for each line that stays under 2 gb for that month.

Jeffrey

T-Mobile One should be $180 for 5 lines (if you setup auto pay) with unlimited data and 10gb hotspot per line. That includes all taxes and fees. Not sure if they are still doing the Insider discount, but if they are find someone who works for T-Mobile to give you a code and it would knock another 20% off of the $180 per month for as long as you are a customer. That would get you down to $144 a month out the door. I know all of this because I was an AT&T customer for 15 years and moved my family over to T-Mobile a few months ago. Also if you have lines that would use less than 2 gb of data per month, they'll knock $10 off your bill for each line that stays under 2 gb for that month.

ooh didn't notice it goes down to $20 for additional lines after 4. $180 is comparable to what at&t bill is after taxes and what not lol.

Will they pay off my s8+ if I switch though? Or was that just a promo a while ago.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Glad to see the Z Play getting some love here. Honestly, I fucking love this phone and this battery life is fucking incredible. Believe the hype!

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Smartwatch GAF help me out

Was thinking of getting the Wife a fitness tracker in the Gear Fit 2 to go along with her Galaxy. Samsung has them on sale everywhere for $50 off so $129.

That being said I also see Samsung has the older Gear S2 watches also on clearance basically everywhere since the S3 is out.

I know they are made for different purposes, but the smaller price difference had me wondering.

Also with regards to the Gear S2 how much worse is it compared to the newer S3?

T-Mobile is looking better and better every day that goes by.

I'm probably going to switch from Verizon to T-Mobile this year. The lower bill isn't even the biggest reason. If you have T-Mobile, you have unlimited international roaming almost everywhere on Earth and that's an amazing perk if you're someone who might use it.

Hasney

Smartwatch GAF help me out

Was thinking of getting the Wife a fitness tracker in the Gear Fit 2 to go along with her Galaxy. Samsung has them on sale everywhere for $50 off so $129.

That being said I also see Samsung has the older Gear S2 watches also on clearance basically everywhere since the S3 is out.

I know they are made for different purposes, but the smaller price difference had me wondering.

Also with regards to the Gear S2 how much worse is it compared to the newer S3?

Really, the only differences on the S2 V the S3 are mostly iterative. Faster CPU, bigger screen, bigger battery etc. The Gear S2 is more flexible than the Fit 2, but the Fit 2 is lighter.

If you went with an S2, I don't think you'd crave the S3 unless they stop updates for it.

Vanillalite

I'm trying to find the cheapest, near unlimited LTE plan for USA carriers. Tethering would be ace but not absolutely necessary. I found this resource https://bestmvno.com/phone-plans-compared/unlimited-data-plans/

I won't do Sprint. Simple Mobile seems like the best. But I hesitate just going with a random company. Thoughts?

You got the cash so just go with Cricket.

I see no reason for you to go with anyone else. It's like 50 or 55 with auto pay.

Vanillalite

You know Google could easily make a cheap updated version of the N7. Just keep basically everything the same and throw in a Snap 625 chip. Boom done.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You got the cash so just go with Cricket.

I see no reason for you to go with anyone else. It's like 50 or 55 with auto pay.
They limit speeds to 8Mbps. That's absurd.

What's up with all these scumbag carriers charging for tethering? Screw off. I paid for the data. Don't worry how I use it. Can't I edit some settings to fool the phone?

Vanillalite

They limit speeds to 8Mbps. That's absurd.

What's up with all these scumbag carriers charging for tethering? Screw off. I paid for the data. Don't worry how I use it. Can't I edit some settings to fool the phone?

Most MVNOs are gonna limit your speed. That's why they are an MVNO.

Plus idk what you need more than 8 down on your phone anyways.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Most MVNOs are gonna limit your speed. That's why they are an MVNO.

Plus idk what you need more than 8 down on your phone anyways.
You wouldn't know because you've been living in third world infrastructure America forever. Streaming glorious 1440P live video streams ain't happening on 8mbps.

Guess I'll go with T-Mobile One. Expensive af and still no hot spots.

Vanillalite

You wouldn't know because you've been living in third world infrastructure America forever. Streaming glorious 1440P live video streams ain't happening on 8mbps.

You can so that now. You just can't do that on a cheap ass MVNO. :p

ooh didn't notice it goes down to $20 for additional lines after 4. $180 is comparable to what at&t bill is after taxes and what not lol.

Will they pay off my s8+ if I switch though? Or was that just a promo a while ago.

I'm not exactly sure what they are offering now, you'd obviously have to contact them. I can tell you that when I switched two of my lines they gave us an iPhone 7 and a 7 Plus in exchange for trading in an iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, it that was the beginning of March.

Vanillalite

Man HTC doing the Pixel combined with iPhone J8sus obviously being fucked in terms of coming out on time has me wondering if I should just get an S8.

I was trying to avoid this scenario, but the market might have forced me.

this_guy

I'm trying to find the cheapest, near unlimited LTE plan for USA carriers. Tethering would be ace but not absolutely necessary. I found this resource https://bestmvno.com/phone-plans-compared/unlimited-data-plans/

I won't do Sprint. Simple Mobile seems like the best. But I hesitate just going with a random company. Thoughts?

Metropcs is T-mobile network for $50 (all in taxes included) unlimited on your phone, or $60 with the ability to tether.

I think T-mobile went back to limiting streaming videos to 480p unless you pay extra for HD streaming.

Hasney

Man HTC doing the Pixel combined with iPhone J8sus obviously being fucked in terms of coming out on time has me wondering if I should just get an S8.

I was trying to avoid this scenario, but the market might have forced me.

Although my 6P failing forced my hand early, it probably is the call. Nova launcher and the fact you can have the buttons on the right place make it feel like a non Samsung phone. Hell, I even have Andeoind Messages back. Only annoying thing is that damn fingerprint sensor. Thank fuck for having a watch and Smart Lock.

Vanillalite

https://www.androidheadlines.com/20...-on-htc-u-11-but-adapter-included-in-box.html

HTC fully committed at no headphone jack lol.

Just seems so weird. The best selling Android phone still has it... And I'm not seeing a huge market of usbc headphones. What can your premium priced phone offer as a better alternative?

Seems like battery size isn't huge still.

USBC headphones would be a thing except Apple uses lightning so it splits the market for no headphone jack. So your essentially making either Android wired USBC headphones or iOS wired lightning headphones.

I'm sure companies wish they could just do one.

If HTC is fully committed to headphone jack and they are possibly making the next Pixel... then yikes...

USBC headphones would be a thing except Apple uses lightning so it splits the market for no headphone jack. So your essentially making either Android wired USBC headphones or iOS wired lightning headphones.

I'm sure companies wish they could just do one.

Considering how some things have gone, I do still see them switching to USB-C.

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
If HTC is fully committed to headphone jack and they are possibly making the next Pixel... then yikes...

Considering how some things have gone, I do still see them switching to USB-C.

Well HTC is making it for Google. Hopefully Google realizes folks like headphone jacks

...and high quality DACs, if you're reading this googy

Jeffrey

I feel like if you want even to try to take some of the Samsung or Huawei Android pie, make sure to at minimum keep up with the bullet point features.

You are already losing. Why handicap your self lol.

I feel like if you want even to try to take some of the Samsung or Huawei Android pie, make sure to at minimum keep up with the bullet point features.

You are already losing. Why handicap your self lol.

Phones without wireless charging aren't worth anything in 2017. Other manufacturers should at least get that right. I'm glad Apple is putting this feature into the spotlight again. It should be mandatory by 2019.

Hasney

Really? I mean, I assume my s8+ has wireless charging. I've just never cared to check. I doubt it would go through the case anyway.

Really? I mean, I assume my s8+ has wireless charging. I've just never cared to check. I doubt it would go through the case anyway.

For me, personally, sure. I've been using Qi charging since 2013, when I got the Lumia 920. A year later I bought a Nexus 5, which had it as well and it's basically the main reason I decided to get the S7. Samsung started putting wireless charging in the Galaxy S series with the S6 and I'm really glad they're sticking to it. I use it every day. I have a charging pad on my nightstand and one on my desk at work.

I understand that most people don't care about it, but I love how effortlessly it just works. No searching for cables, no fiddling in the dark (less of an issue with USB C, but still no issue with Qi) and it just looks better.

Top Bottom