• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndroidCentral “Sony no longer cares about the PSVR 2, and neither should you”

Its the curse of the second complimentary device for Sony PlayStations. PSP > PS Vita, PSVR > PSVR2.

Sony drops support if it doesn't gain traction quickly. The thing is just too expensive for what it is and offers, games and quality wise.
I don't agree with that PSP> PS Vita take. I had way more games for the Vita with the PS+ adding Vita games.

mckmas8808

Banned
Props to Sony going for it, if you want VR on Playstation enjoy the fruits of it. Better that than having absolutely nothing right?

I do actually think it's better than nothing personally. While it totally sucks that this story is probably true, I know I have at least another six to eight VR games I need to play. And I've already played four or five already.

Given this information was it worth $550? Probably not. But for $400 I wouldn't have been mad at what I have so far. Slightly disappointed, but again better than having nothing in VR at all.

Calverz

Banned
I was always sceptical of Sony making a psvr2. The market at the time was stagnating and we were finding out the true costs of pushing vr to success from the meta quest 2 expenditure reports. I just didn’t see the point in Sony doing it. Once the pricing was revealed, I think everyone here deep down knew it would be doa.

hinch7

I don't agree with that PSP> PS Vita take. I had way more games for the Vita with the PS+ adding Vita games.
They went from 82M+ sales on the PSP and highly competitive to Nintendo DS, with a lot of third party support; including the backing of Japanese gamers. To near Wii U levels of care and sales with its successor. The PSVita was a catastrophic fail considering the amount of effort and marketing that went into it.

With it being a whole other platform and system, it needed dedicated teams to handle development and they sent their B teams on that. Of which they offered mostly cut back console games. The exact same thing is happening in PSVR (2) games. Why would consumers care for smaller bite-sized games, made by b-tier and pay another consoles worth of hardware to experience that?

To each to their own. The PSVita was and excellent piece of hardware at its time and well ahead of the curve. Its just it was too expensive (memory cards included), and the games just weren't there. Coming from the PSP, that was an absolute powerhouse in comparison when it came to big releases and exclusive games.

Last edited:

Draugoth

Gold Member
Even 'on sale' in Aus it's absurdly expensive ... people are struggling to pay rent / buy groceries I can't see them dropping $%700 - $800 on a peripheral

U4VFVUe.png
when

This, for most people it would be best just to get another console.

If Sony wants the PSVR2 to succeed they need better regional prices

Last edited:
So I haven't touched VR in any fashion....what's holding it back from taking off? It seemed like with PSVR1 the tech needed more time in the oven; is that still the case today?

Gojiira

I dont think people realise just how niche VR actually is. Why would they put the level of support the consoles get into it when the adoption rate for VR is tiny. Guaranteed if sales of the headset had been better or the software better received they would have gone all in.
Or we could all be wrong and the Big Showcase will be a blow out of first party titles and support giving the VR2 a second wind. Who knows.

Pejo

For me it was obvious when they changed the tech with no upgrade path so that your PSVR1 games could be played on PSVR2. I'm not against updated and new tech, but they really should have made some effort to port the first party content at the very least with no additional purchase required, or worked on a porting tool to ease the port for developers, since many VR devs are smaller and don't have deep coffers. I haven't looked in a long while, so I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think you can even play Astro Bot Rescue Mission on PSVR2 still, and that should be their marquee title to sell VR.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Actually yeah GT is pretty important. I know someone who bought it just for that and he's happy. Never even intended to play anything else on it.
Not for nothing, if you're into GT or racers, it's worth it just for that alone. It pays for itself in addictive playtime.

One of the many reasons I have been super lethargic in the VR backlog. I keep firing up GT7 with it and get lost in the sauce.

I downloaded Hubris a month ago, and still haven't fired it up due to that 🤣

Last edited:

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Stellar Plans VR developer wants to advance the PSVR2 plan, but was advised against by his partnering company “Quest sales are ten times higher than PCVR, while PSVR sales are relatively low”

(Tweet says Quest and PSVR, but I believe they refer to Quest platform and PSVR platform, not the Quest1 and PSVR1 headsets)

Thank you for your attention! While I know this may disappoint some, I believe honesty is paramount. The initial development plan was 1. PCVR, 2. Quest, 3. PSVR. Seeing the enthusiasm for PSVR, I've decided to advance the PSVR development plan. I had an in-depth discussion with the boss of our partner company about PSVR development. We have previously developed PSVR versions of other games, so my PSVR version will also be developed there. He shared a wealth of data, indicating that Quest sales are ten times higher than PCVR, while PSVR sales are relatively low. He advised me to focus on one platform, gather feedback, and then consider other platforms. We unanimously agree that perfecting the PCVR version is currently the most important. Engaging gameplay is crucial, and blindly developing other versions may backfire.Finally, I'd like to talk about the specifics of PSVR development. Unlike other platforms, developing for PSVR requires registering a company to apply as a developer and to obtain development equipment. Since I am currently working on this game alone, I can only rely on my previous boss for PSVR development. Unfortunately, the development sequence will continue as 1. PCVR, 2. Quest, 3. PSVR.I don't want to deceive anyone, so I've decided to share our conversation with you all. Thank you for your understanding and support!

Ceadeus

the market clearly is not ready and the technology either. (for mass adoption)

I will say that PSVR specifically should be marketed as the "IMAX" experience and 100% of new Play Station games should to be compatible with it (Especially AAA games). Hopefully, Sony will realize this angle for the next iteration.
As a VR user myself, I think people just don't want to put something on their head each time they want to play. Most games requires space and to be standing. Eyes strain is shit too.

Playing in VR is fun but there are so many little irritating things it makes the experience a process.

Killjoy-NL

I think this is a problem for Sony, these are die hard Sony fans being left in the lurch who outlayed a lot of money. It's not going to motivate them to buy a ps6, most will probably move towards pc which will split thier focus and reduce overall revenue from them long term. The saving grace is there isn't very many of them. (Since sales are what, less than million?)
What makes you think that?

Bought PSVR and PSVR2 both day 1. Had my fun with both and both started collecting dust real quick.

It sucks that it happened, but I couldn't give 2 shits about it and it definitely won't push me towards PC, because on PC the same would likely happen with me buying the next VR and have it collect dust despite a larger library.

Hero of Spielberg

Gold Member
As a VR user myself, I think people just don't want to put something on their head each time they want to play. Most games requires space and to be standing. Eyes strain is shit too.

Playing in VR is fun but there are so many little irritating things it makes the experience a process.
Once they're as light as a pair of ski goggles, wrieless and prices come down I can see it being much more accessible for mainstream. Just a bit too clunky and expensive at the moment for most.

T-0800

I would have bought one if it was a bit cheaper and Sony actually had their top developers make some games for it. I think VR is incredible tech and it is sad seeing it struggle.

ChorizoPicozo

Gold Member

yeah. I think VR as we know it is always going to fail. but at the same time, I truly belive is the only way to achieve greater immersion and I'm not talking about more interactivity, different ways for inputs and stuff like that (the classic VR stuff).
I'm just taking about the difference between listening to music through the TV spekears or with a good pair of headphones for example.

there are games that some people will find so motivated to experience in this way. Just like some movies on IMAX.

Jesb

There should be some legal ramifications for what Sony did with this. At the very least refunds should be given out since they had no intention of supporting this.

Pretty clear there won’t be VR on PS6.

LordCBH

The absolute fuck was the point of them releasing this thing if they weren’t going to support it? The vita got more support than this thing did. Fuckin hell!

Still have my PSVR1 and a big backlog on that. If all those games were compatible with PSVR2 I would have been more compelled to get it. At this point im just going to wait until I can get it dirt cheap to play GT7.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I think this part should be in the OP as well

To back that up, another source informed me that only two PSVR 2 games are in development at Sony. Given the state of the games industry with constant layoffs and studio closings, I don't exactly feel confident that even these games will ever see the light of day if Sony continues on its current trajectory.

I mean isn't it an easy w and this would fly off the shelves if they make all their first party games mandatory vr.
But the problem is the first party games are in a drought as well .
But even the games that released in PS5 life cycles like god of war , spider man 2 , horizon 2 , ratchet.
I'm pretty sure it wouldve had much better sales

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
As a fan of VR I think they were kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I applaud them for trying. While th VR department probably dreamed of supporting it with full commitment there will have been the wider business who probably gave it one shot to explode and as it didn't they cut the budget.

Vr is niche. Lots love it a lot more couldn't care RIGHT NOW. Sony provided a way for their fans to get it and play common games. Which is fine

Probably their biggest issue is quest 3, its Facebooks sole focus and the majority of games are made for that platform. So plenty of end users can just pick that up and be happy.

So, sony was stuck because they can't sign off the budget for large vr experiences and there's arguably a better alternative for the smaller, still great fun, vr titles.

Still have my psvr, will pick up a psvr2 for super cheap one day just for gt7.

Last edited:

LimanimaPT

This is really a waste. I've got PSVR and it was the most spectacular thing I've ever experiences in gaming, but...
I have no intention on dropping a single dime in psvr2. The fact that the new Astrobot does not support VR tells everything I want to know. Sony has abandoned PSVR2.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Pejo

As a fan of VR I think they were kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I applaud them for trying. While th VR department probably dreamed of supporting it with full commitment there will have been the wider business who probably gave it one shot to explode and as it didn't they cut the budget.

Vr is niche. Lots love it a lot more couldn't care RIGHT NOW. Sony provided a way for their fans to get it and play common games. Which is fine

Probably their biggest issue is quest 3, its Facebooks sole focus and the majority of games are made for that platform. So plenty of end users can just pick that up and be happy.

So, sony was stuck because they can't sign off the budget for large vr experiences and there's arguably a better alternative for the smaller, still great fun, vr titles.

Still have my psvr, will pick up a psvr2 for super cheap one day just for gt7.
This is a fair take, but on the other hand Sony has a history of making cool hardware and then totally abandoning it and leaving it out to dry. It's hard to feel bad for them when they have a history of the Vita or Those gaming 3DTVs(which I still think was a cool idea and own one).

I think they really should have committed to VR if they wanted to push it as a medium, but they probably underestimated how hard it is to properly demo/market. Most VR games look like absolute shit on YouTube videos/previews/screenshots. You really have to try it out yourself to 'get' what makes them good. I don't have a good solution for getting to that, but some analyst probably should have thought about it before they pushed PSVR2 out the door at $550-$1000+ dollars (if you don't have a Playstation already and had to buy into the ecosystem wholesale).

I think it would have been a smarter move to bring out a PSVR1 compatible VR-lite to get it into more hands at a lower price point, then make the premium product after the userbase is larger and push the upgrade. There was simply not enough demand for PSVR2 during the window where it launched, and the lack of backwards compatibility will always be the biggest bonehead move in my eyes. Then the support (predictably) dries up as they aren't making money on it, and Sony has that history of just letting things die.

So yea, some of that was just the market not buying the thing, but a lot of the reason they weren't buying was bad decision making/not enough foresight by Sony leaders, in my opinion.

Negotiator101

Gold Member
Props to Sony going for it, if you want VR on Playstation enjoy the fruits of it. Better that than having absolutely nothing right?
It's time to start calling out the bullshit Sony are pulling with this. This is not cheap and it's been thrown by the wayside and it's the middle finger to all who bought it.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Even we the hardcore enthusiasts warned this would happen. Sony's timing was clearly off.

There's no haste to shoehorn this onto average Joe's face just yet - Especially tethered VR.

Sit back, relax and let those of us comfortably in the niche market fund the future tech and form factor improvements (and games) for a few years more to make it more accessible for the masses later on.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

Banned
What makes you think that?

Bought PSVR and PSVR2 both day 1. Had my fun with both and both started collecting dust real quick.

It sucks that it happened, but I couldn't give 2 shits about it and it definitely won't push me towards PC, because on PC the same would likely happen with me buying the next VR and have it collect dust despite a larger library.

Well I could be wrong, maybe even more so on the pc thing. But for everyone one of you who is fine with it being unsupported for a reasonable time, there has to be some that are bitter about it.

Yeah that's been pretty clear since launch day to me. Released Horizon which was shit in my opinion and then kind of just let third parties do all the heavy lifting.

No idea what's going on at Sony but but with this and their focus on GAAS, they are doing absolutely nothing to sell me on new hardware moving forward.

Mr.ODST

This is why I never buy Sony peripherals, the company is fucking wank at actually dedicating to anything, 2 true playstation exclusive since launch and one absolutely flopped and was supposed to be the showpiece of the device (firewall)

They did it with PSP & Vita which was the biggest tragedy and people trying to make excuses and blaming meta for releasing a better product.

I was lucky to make my money back on PSVR2 but i feel sorry for those where its too late.

Killjoy-NL

Well I could be wrong, maybe even more so on the pc thing. But for everyone one of you who is fine with it being unsupported for a reasonable time, there has to be some that are bitter about it.
Sure, but VR is very niche and can't imagine lots of people will move to PC because Sony doesn't support PSVR2.

Klosshufvud

Big corporations love to jump on these trends and blow billions of dollars on investments any person on the street would say is an insane investment. But they're not dictated by logic. They're dictated by a mass of greedy, idiotic shareholders, who if a company does not mindlessly jump on a trend, will sell their stocks in haste. It happened to VR and it happened to so many dumb trendy tech before it. And I bet will happen to AI too once people realize how limiting and overhyped it actually is.

Top Bottom