• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AndroidCentral “Sony no longer cares about the PSVR 2, and neither should you”

hinch7

This is why I never buy Sony peripherals, the company is fucking wank at actually dedicating to anything, 2 true playstation exclusive since launch and one absolutely flopped and was supposed to be the showpiece of the device (firewall)

They did it with PSP & Vita which was the biggest tragedy and people trying to make excuses and blaming meta for releasing a better product.

I was lucky to make my money back on PSVR2 but i feel sorry for those where its too late.
PSP was quite successful and supported well. Can't say the same to other complimentary PS devices/peripherials.

PSVR did find its niche but software support was just bad. If the larger third party publishers aren't willing to put their big games on there. Nor first party, its not worth considering. Thats the reason why I didn't buy a PSVita. The games were just not enticing enough and released at a time where the PS3 was in its peak and near PS4's launch.

Last edited:
Is anyone really surprised by Sony giving up on PSVR2? It was doomed from the start. It's a peripheral that costs more than the system itself, servicing an extreme niche. It's a $550 add-on to a $500 console. That's $1050 just to jump in, and it doesn't include the cost of software or even the Essential tier of PS+. Saying you never want to play online or get any of the catalog PS+ titles, you're still looking at over $1100 for the PS5, PSVR2, and a single PSVR2 game. After taxes, you're approaching $1200. In this economy where the cost of food, energy, and housing are astronomical. How many gamers can actually afford to make this purchase and then go out and buy expensive PSVR2 games on top of that to get the most out of it?

The PSVR2 is a very nice experience. But it's just something the overwhelming majority of gamers can't afford. And many that can would still give pause to what else they could do with that money. There is just no way the install base can ever grow enough to make the PSVR2 headset a worthwhile endeavor for Sony--not at the current prices. And lowering the cost would be throwing good money after bad.

VR is still a very long way from being the mainstream, preferred way to game. It's not affordable enough to foster widespread adoption where publishers can have titles selling millions upon millions of copies and changing the landscape of the industry. We'll probably get there someday. The ninth generation is not going to be that day.

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

Big corporations love to jump on these trends and blow billions of dollars on investments any person on the street would say is an insane investment. But they're not dictated by logic. They're dictated by a mass of greedy, idiotic shareholders, who if a company does not mindlessly jump on a trend, will sell their stocks in haste. It happened to VR and it happened to so many dumb trendy tech before it. And I bet will happen to AI too once people realize how limiting and overhyped it actually is.
I think the problem is technology is just developing too fast for mass market.

It's still too expensive.

At least SEGA tried with the Mega CD.

PSVR 2 is up there with the N64 DD for a total letdown a waste of time and money. It's such a shame as PSVR on the PS4 was so good.

Joke ? They released Gt7 and Village, so launch was stronger than base ps5 ;d Also re4r same year. First year was very strong tough 0 new hybrids announced currently sadly.
Yes, GT7 and Horizon from memory. Village is third party, regardless as to whether Sony funded it or not. Where are the first party games?

Putonahappyface

Gold Member
I bought it and kept it for a day unopened and then panicked and returned it the following day. Lack of games, lack of physical games, 1080p resolution for cinematic mode and many stories on Reddit over glasses being incompatible and scratching the lenses.

Disgusted Jim Carrey GIF

PeteBull

Yes, GT7 and Horizon from memory. Village is third party, regardless as to whether Sony funded it or not. Where are the first party games?
It wasnt profitable enough to make big games on it, it doesnt even sell 2m units, if u make proper game(3-4years of development at least, even if its double A title) u gotta sell solid few milion copies for it to not bomb, with such a miniscule instalbase there was 0 potential in any even midsized game to not bomb.
Sony took risks but soon after launch reality(aka sales data) hit them hard so no more point to invest heavily into it.

Look at that artrocious playstation portal that got terrible reviews, even that thing getting good sales/positive buzz, psvr2 got nothing https://www.dualshockers.com/playst...s-industry-advisor-who-underestimated-demand/

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
It was blindingly obvious they didn't care about it when they launched it without backwards compatibility. Completely dead on arrival.

No BC with legacy PSVR1 software, less than a handful of exclusives, more expensive than the connecting base console, zero pre/post release marketing. Absolutely shocked this hasn't panned out.

Last edited:
They stopped care about VR when they released it. The game released by them at launch were oked well before launch. The main reason should be about risky long term investement vs short term. Why gamble on long term VR technology when you can put that money on less risky short term investment like porting (selling) their previous IP to PC and immediately making millions out of it?

Last edited:

Hudo

Gold Member
It certainly did not help that it didn't have BC with PSVR1, it was way overpriced for something you required a PS5 for (for fuck's sake, it cost more than the PS5) and Sony's first-party are only barely able to support PS5 as it is. Another platform is not on the table with Sony's current state.

Edit: TL;DR: The failure of PSVR2 was caused by a series of retarded decisions Sony made.

Last edited:

Spyxos

Gold Member
I was waiting for a big discount and a few more games... but it looks like I won't be buying it at all.

PSVR 2 is up there with the N64 DD for a total letdown a waste of time and money. It's such a shame as PSVR on the PS4 was so good.
N64 DD was almost vaporware, VR2 is pretty much in line with the basic support VR1 got. Okay maybe their own support is halfed with going from two relevant titles to one. GT_S + Astrobot to just GT. But both ware/are carried by indies. I am still hoping that we get some VR-too titles with those GaaS things, all/most successfull ones have their mobile ports, low PC settings and what not, so different visuals ie. saved power left for VR should be possible then.

I also firmly believe Sony speculated that Capcom and Bethesda would support it enough together with the indies that still do, to get it off the ground. But then Bethesda turned into a MS division and further exclusive deals did not happen beyond the awkward transition phase. Bethesda with all there first person stuff would have been a nice fit and were previously quite eager to add VR stuff to some titles. Which they won't, since MS, no matter how much third party they might be for the near future, they just have no ball in that game.

Last edited:

Majukun

sony has the tendency to just release hardware or hardware features just to tick boxes and say they also have it, without long term plans for support

but given they are selling a shitload of consoles and games, i guess it works for them

jumpship

They also says Sony is making deep cuts to the funding.

But I think they will announce their next PSVR2 first party game in September PS Showcase

This article is so bad it should come with a government health warning.

The FUD is real, and have to agree with the articles single comment: This reads like it's sponsored by META. And Zucks, if you really need to stoop so low I cant smh hard enough.

I mean what is this:

"At this point, we need to forget that PSVR 2 even exists. Sony already has. You're far better off getting yourself a Meta Quest 3 this year, which has exclusives like...."

Followed by 3 direct links to "Today's best Meta quest 3 deals" get the fuck outta here with this blatant sponsored FUD.

As for VR investment the article fails to mention without Sony funding VR modes for Resident Evil Village and Resident Evil 4 Remake wouldn't happen. As a PSVR2 owner I'm fully aware VR is currently a niche market with expensive hardware to experience it. But boy what an experience (GT7 :messenger_smiling_hearts: ) But you need to start somewhere building a library of games, building development teams, familiarity with PSVR2 SDK and its capabilites, there is enough room for PSVR2 on the market. Sony isn't abandoning VR lol but also Rome wasn't built in a day just need a bit more patience, a price cut and continued investment. Oh and Home 2.0 to bring the VR community together would be great.

Come on Zucks no need to be this insecure with the the blatant FUD.

Last edited:
N64 DD was almost vaporware, VR2 is pretty much in line with the basic support VR1 got. Okay maybe their own support is halfed with going from two relevant titles to one. GT_S + Astrobot to just GT. But both ware/are carried by indies. I am still hoping that we get some VR-too titles with those GaaS things, all/most successfull ones have their mobile ports, low PC settings and what not, so different visuals ie. saved power left for VR should be possible then.

I also firmly believe Sony speculated that Capcom and Bethesda would support it enough together with the indies that still do, to get it off the ground. But then Bethesda turned into a MS division and further exclusive deals did not happen beyond the awkward transition phase. Bethesda with all there first person stuff would have been a nice fit and were previously quite eager to add VR stuff to some titles. Which they won't, since MS, no matter how much third party they might be for the near future, they just have no ball in that game.

I'm sorry VR2 is not on the same level of support from SONY. With the PSVR on the PS4 we got the amazing Astrobot and then lovely titles likes of Blood and Truth, VR Worlds, Fairpoint, Wipeout, Rigs from SIONY
All we got from SONY on the VR2 is a nice version of GT7 and a piss poor version of Horizon Zero Dawn.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Another thread where people seem to be utterly oblivious to the cost and duration of modern development.

Games don't magically wink into existence, and it's not like there's a bottomless well of available talent to draw on.

If you could simply throw money around in order to create product MS and XBOX would be market leaders by now!

That they aren't and instead have needed to resort to paying billions in M&A costs to fill out their content pipeline should clue people in on how "caring" is not the root problem!

hinch7

Another thread where people seem to be utterly oblivious to the cost and duration of modern development.

Games don't magically wink into existence, and it's not like there's a bottomless well of available talent to draw on.

If you could simply throw money around in order to create product MS and XBOX would be market leaders by now!

That they aren't and instead have needed to resort to paying billions in M&A costs to fill out their content pipeline should clue people in on how "caring" is not the root problem!
Which should not be of concern to the paying customer. If it doesn't have enticing lineup of software, its not going to sell.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Who the fuck cares..

I am 1000% ok with the fact my psvr2 is basically gran turismo 7 Vr box

The best gfx for VR gaming

Got a good steering wheel some loadcell brakes a shifter and razer rumble headphones.

Fucking worth it.

Google sim setups.. this shit is peanuts for what it gives me.

Oh yeah and i can play.. 2 resident evil games..

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Which should not be of concern to the paying customer. If it doesn't have enticing lineup of software, its not going to sell.

VR requires specific skills and knowledge. Teams with a proven track record or demonstrable ability at working in this niche area are fairly thin on the ground.
People need to understand that this reality is going to impact the rate and timescales of product. Throwing huge budgets at untested teams for expensive projects targeting small target audiences is not on the cards generally speaking.

Sorry but anybody buying in to these platforms really ought to understand this. It's a long haul bet, at best.

Last edited:

Hero_Select

PSVR2 didnt sell, like at all, guys, same way sega didnt support much sega cd/32x or ninny didnt suport much virtual boy, it was obvious psvr2 not gonna get proper support if hardware sales arent there.
Yeah because it's not backwards compatible with PSVR games nor did it work with your PC.

I wanted to buy one. The Resident Evil VR games are legit amazing but they did everything to ensure this thing would flop.

And now you have a separate adapter on top of the notsosmall cost of the headset to play PC games. VR is already expensive and anyone interested in the tech will probably just pick up a Quest 3.

Ozriel

M$FT
This article is so bad it should come with a government health warning.

The FUD is real, and have to agree with the articles single comment: This reads like it's sponsored by META. And Zucks, if you really need to stoop so low I cant smh hard enough.

I mean what is this:

"At this point, we need to forget that PSVR 2 even exists. Sony already has. You're far better off getting yourself a Meta Quest 3 this year, which has exclusives like...."

Followed by 3 direct links to "Today's best Meta quest 3 deals" get the fuck outta here with this blatant sponsored FUD.

As for VR investment the article fails to mention without Sony funding VR modes for Resident Evil Village and Resident Evil 4 Remake wouldn't happen. As a PSVR2 owner I'm fully aware VR is currently a niche market with expensive hardware to experience it. But boy what an experience (GT7 :messenger_smiling_hearts: ) But you need to start somewhere building a library of games, building development teams, familiarity with PSVR2 SDK and its capabilites, there is enough room for PSVR2 on the market. Sony isn't abandoning VR lol but also Rome wasn't built in a day just need a bit more patience, a price cut and continued investment. Oh and Home 2.0 to bring the VR community together would be great.

Come on Zucks no need to be this insecure with the the blatant FUD.

I’d say the insecurity is you accusing Zuck of sponsoring an article against PSVR2 when it’s of no real competition to the Quest line of headsets as a console accessory.
PSVR 2 only becomes a competitor when the PC drivers and adapters arrive in August. And if this were a sponsored article, it would focus on its use as a PCVR headset.

the Quest 3 is the current iteration of the most popular and most well supported VR headset, standalone, and most popular PCVR headset. Pretty much why they’re pushing it that much.

Hero_Select

I’d say the insecurity is you accusing Zuck of sponsoring an article against PSVR2 when it’s of no real competition to the Quest line of headsets as a console accessory.
PSVR 2 only becomes a competitor when the PC drivers and adapters arrive in August. And if this were a sponsored article, it would focus on its use as a PCVR headset.

the Quest 3 is the current iteration of the most popular and most well supported VR headset, standalone, and most popular PCVR headset. Pretty much why they’re pushing it that much.
Not just standalone. But you can hook it up to your PC to play a ridiculously large library, with a cable or wireless. It's a fantastic device and I hate that Facebook is the one behind it.

Duchess

As a long term PS fan, I've always been baffled by Sony's fixation on VR.

A portable system (PS Vita) would be a better investment, I think.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

VR requires specific skills and knowledge. Teams with a proven track record or demonstrable ability at working in this niche area are fairly thin on the ground.
People need to understand that this reality is going to impact the rate and timescales of product. Throwing huge budgets at untested teams for expensive projects targeting small target audiences is not on the cards generally speaking.

Sorry but anybody buying in to these platforms really ought to understand this. It's a long haul bet, at best.

What exactly are you trying to say here? That people who bought into the eco-system should have gone in knowing that the long-term (or even short term) support won't be there?

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
Not just standalone. But you can hook it up to your PC to play a ridiculously large library, with a cable or wireless. It's a fantastic device and I hate that Facebook is the one behind it.
That's the nature of VR investment. It's such a big money sink at this point that only a company like that with giant revenue from other areas could really pull it off at the level they are, and for the price they are.

I just don't get Sony sometimes... they do a lot right... but then they go and mess up and release stuff like PS VR2 and PS Vita and basically just ignore them post-release. Why bother releasing them if you are not going to back and support your products?

jumpship

The open goal rebuttle would be if PSVR2 is no real competition to the quest line then why is the quest mentioned extensively in an article about Sony's support of PSVR2 to the point of including quest product deals directly within the article?

Did you read it? By the end it's a blatant advert to buy a quest.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm fully aware VR is currently a niche market with expensive hardware to experience it.
Facts. From an enthusiast to another, there's no need to pack such a simple truth in layers of conspiracy theories and contradictions. VR will be dominating a few years down the line. In the meantime, our enthusiasm doesn't depend on universal approval.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
What exactly are you trying to say here? That people who bought into the eco-system should have gone in knowing that the long-term (or even short term) support won't be there?
Expect support to be comparatively limited versus any other sort of platform.

For the reasons I outlined previously expectations need to be managed especially in terms of quantity and frequency of support.

adamsapple

Expect support to be comparatively limited versus any other sort of platform.

For the reasons I outlined previously expectations need to be managed especially in terms of quantity and frequency of support.

Ok that's fine, but at there's no harm in expecting more support from the platform vendor itself. They reportedly only have 2 VR projects in development right now and even their completion is not guaranteed.

Sony's acceptance to make it PC compatible just seems like the kind of move you make before officially sun-setting the project.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Is anyone really surprised by Sony giving up on PSVR2? It was doomed from the start. It's a peripheral that costs more than the system itself, servicing an extreme niche. It's a $550 add-on to a $500 console. That's $1050 just to jump in, and it doesn't include the cost of software or even the Essential tier of PS+. Saying you never want to play online or get any of the catalog PS+ titles, you're still looking at over $1100 for the PS5, PSVR2, and a single PSVR2 game. After taxes, you're approaching $1200. In this economy where the cost of food, energy, and housing are astronomical. How many gamers can actually afford to make this purchase and then go out and buy expensive PSVR2 games on top of that to get the most out of it?

The PSVR2 is a very nice experience. But it's just something the overwhelming majority of gamers can't afford. And many that can would still give pause to what else they could do with that money. There is just no way the install base can ever grow enough to make the PSVR2 headset a worthwhile endeavor for Sony--not at the current prices. And lowering the cost would be throwing good money after bad.

VR is still a very long way from being the mainstream, preferred way to game. It's not affordable enough to foster widespread adoption where publishers can have titles selling millions upon millions of copies and changing the landscape of the industry. We'll probably get there someday. The ninth generation is not going to be that day.

Yea, I am actually surprised. Because why did they fucking release it if they weren't going to support it? They didn't have to.

The problem is not VR. New games are coming out weekly for the Meta Quest. New games are coming out on Steam VR. There are enough VR players to support Blade & Sorcery EA for *six years* while they got to 1.0. The problem is Sony.

Audiophile

PSVR2 probably costs about <$300 to build at this point, I appreciate R&D and additional costs, but they're taking the biscuit..

Give the PS5 Pro six months to settle in, knock the current PSVR2 sku down $150 to $399, then bring in an updated high end sku for $499 with better lenses, display persistence and wireless; providing a high and low end option. Sort out PSVR1 Back Compat (a novel idea on doing this), drive a dumptruck up to Valve in return for HL: Alyx coming to PlayStation, get 1-2 solid 1P titles out a year and market it at least a bit.

The PC stuff is a good move and should have been done out of the gate but the implementation seems half-arsed with missing features and the adapter price is silly (once again it seems Sony didn't think ahead regarding possibilities). Also, while I'm in favour of single player-focused, flagship 1P/2P PlayStation titles specifically retaining timed exclusivity for 12-18mths. When it comes to VR titles, it should pretty much all be cross plat with PC where possible to bolster the market. The industry needs to work together on this one.

I think the money men got in and panicked; and it was all about recouping costs upfront without any regard for building a foundation for a future market.

Either way, I still think VR has a future and PSVR3 will happen (though I expect a more distinct rebrand... just call it the "PlayStation Reality" headset), but it'll probs be 2031 onwards with PS6 when the tech is much more viable. To get it to sell though it needs to be viable with a $199 standard sku and $299 higher end sku imo. For now it seems they're just keeping their foot in the door with the bare minimum.

Last edited:

tommib

Gold Member
It’s just too exhausting to use. I got one at release and after the first few weeks you just want to lie down on your couch and play pancake. I don’t want to gesture with a helmet on my head. I tried finishing the Horizon game a couple of weeks ago and it’s all cool and dandy but after 1 hour I’m done.

It’s also all a bit much. I don’t need THAT much immersion. I don’t like the feeling of unreality you get when you come out of it. It’s weird.

I will eventually try the 7th guest game since it does look excellent.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
PSVR2 probably costs about <$300 to build at this point, I appreciate R&D and additional costs, but they're taking the biscuit..

Give the PS5 Pro six months to settle in, knock the current PSVR2 sku down $150 to $399, then bring in an updated high end sku for $499 with better lenses, display persistence and wireless; providing a high and low end option. Sort out PSVR1 Back Compat (a novel idea on doing this), drive a dumptruck up to Valve in return for HL: Alyx coming to PlayStation, get 1-2 solid 1P titles out a year and market it at least a bit.

The PC stuff is a good move and should have been done out of the gate but the implementation seems half-arsed with missing features and the adapter price is silly (once again it seems Sony didn't think ahead regarding possibilities). Also, while I'm in favour of single player-focused, flagship 1P/2P PlayStation titles specifically retaining timed exclusivity for 12-18mths. When it comes to VR titles, it should pretty much all be cross plat with PC where possible to bolster the market. The industry needs to work together on this one.

I don't think Sony cares about possibilities, they don't care. The idea that they would make a high end SKU is laughable when they stopped making the current one. It seems like the PC adapter is just a way to make it just enticing enough that they can clear out some of their stock.

PSVR2 still gets a few exclusives a year worth playing.
I still need to get back to exclusives like Synapse. Games coming to PS+ now like Before Your Eyes and Synth Riders.
Looking forward to games like Max Mustard, Wanderer, Behemoth, Aliens, etc.
People act like only first party games are playable and count.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ok that's fine, but at there's no harm in expecting more support from the platform vendor itself. They reportedly only have 2 VR projects in development right now and even their completion is not guaranteed.

Sony's acceptance to make it PC compatible just seems like the kind of move you make before officially sun-setting the project.
VR needs to be fully standardized for it to really grow, right now things are just too fragmented, and the general economics of the industry are making it all worse.

Because at the end of the day a VR project is a bet for the future more than the present.

There's obviously value In exploring what many people believe will be the next stage in how users interact with games and digital media, but objectively it'd be financial suicide try and hotshot uptake on it (through massive investment in content) while the hardware is so expensive.

adamsapple

Because at the end of the day a VR project is a bet for the future more than the present.

They're selling the VR headset here and now. Not in the future, tho. The support needs to be in-the-now as well.

And it's not like VR, as a whole, is not doing decently, just that PSVR2 isn't.

Last edited:

Perrott

Sony was not ready to support this, and that's on them.

No one is going to bother making PSVR2 exclusive games if Sony themselves are barely supporting it. This is PS Vita all over again. Leaving behind PSVR, those games, and people who own that headset was also a dumb move.
Sony supported Vita big time during its first two years, yet all third-party publishers stabbed them in the back:
  • Capcom made Monster Hunter (iconic PlayStation and PSP franchise) and Resident Evil: Revelations (after they had not delivered on a PSP exclusive RE announced at E3 2009) exclusive to 3DS. They also didn't deliver any Lost Planet game after demoing Lost Planet 2 at the Vita reveal as a showcase of the system's capabilities.
  • Konami didn't bother to port the remastered Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker from the PS3/360 HD Collection to Vita, cancelled the Vita port of Zone of the Enders HD Collection and cancelled the in development port of Metal Gear Solid V, which was meant to feature cross-progression with the PlayStation home console version via Kojima's own Transfarring system.
  • Square Enix was probably the worst offender. They didn't port Final Fantasy Type-0 released only in Japan late into the PSP's lifecycle and didn't allow Yoko Taro to develop an enhanced and expanded port of the original Nier for Vita as he wanted, but they also didn't port neither of the Kingdom Hearts HD collections, and actually failed to engage in any original game development for the system (unlike with PSP days, where they released Crisis Core, Type 0, The 3rd Birthday, Dissidia or Birth by Sleep).
Apply the same to all the other heavy supporters of the PSP (Bandai Namco, Sega, Take-Two, Ubisoft, Electronic Arts) that didn't do shit for the Vita, which as I said and unlike PSVR2 actually had a strong first-party support during its first years, yet still it failed to gain momentum because that's not enough, its never enough, unless you're Nintendo. Sony devices live and die, not by PS Studios games, but their third-party support - that's what actually turned the original PlayStation into a worldwide success - but Sony can't be to blame for the third-parties having zero interest first in the Vita and now in PSVR2.

Last edited:
Yea, I am actually surprised. Because why did they fucking release it if they weren't going to support it? They didn't have to.

The problem is not VR. New games are coming out weekly for the Meta Quest. New games are coming out on Steam VR. There are enough VR players to support Blade & Sorcery EA for *six years* while they got to 1.0. The problem is Sony.
I think I said this on a previous thread about the state of PSVR2, but I feel like Sony got too knee deep in R&D costs to not release it from their POV, but similarly to Vita ( which comparatively was a better supported system) they basically left it for third parties to pick up the slack.

diffusionx

Gold Member
VR needs to be fully standardized for it to really grow, right now things are just too fragmented, and the general economics of the industry are making it all worse.

There's obviously value In exploring what many people believe will be the next stage in how users interact with games and digital media, but objectively it'd be financial suicide try and hotshot uptake on it (through massive investment in content) while the hardware is so expensive.
It's not that fragmented. And it's not a bet on the future, you can buy one now and play games on it now. As for expensive hardware, you can buy a Meta Quest 2 for $200, while an old device, can play a lot of the popular games well and hook up to PC. I also think Meta is working on a cheaper Quest 3.

Just because Sony failed at this, due to a lack of trying, doesn't mean that the problem is VR. This is like saying that, because the Intellivision or whatever failed and ET 2600 was a piece of junk, console videogames have no future. Obviously not the case.

Last edited:
Top Bottom