• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anita Sarkeesian and Zoe Quinn are speaking at the UN about online harassment

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiunchbb

www.dictionary.com
20141204-patreon.png

Because male is never a victim of harassment and abuse. Good to know.

FaintDeftone

Those response tweets are hilarious. They're all basically proving these women's points without having to even speak a word. Good job guys.

We can talk about problems while being specific because online harassment of women is different from online harassment of men.

It would be like saying "what about other illnesses!" when someone tries to have an agenda about flu or something. Sometimes we need to isolate and separate them before we can really tackle a problem.

Why not?

No because it would be like fighting Women aids is more important. Seriously this gender/race thing has to stop regarding human rights. Everyone should be equal and if we want this to be one day a reality we should stop right now making a difference when we fight against all sort of discriminations.

Not saying but online harassment is also a first world problem so like you said we shouldn't put things before some others because in theory every fight is worth it but sexual abuse on women in India or sexual mutilation is some sub-Saharan African zone is just a bigger priority imo.

Crisium

Non-Sunni women in large parts of Iraq and Syria are literally enslaved (usually sexually).

In the year 2015.

How many billions in the world have no access to the internet?

What a joke. The UN struggles to be effective. Can they can handle multiple issues at once? Yes. But online harassment is not a worthy issue right now. Even a 2 minute speech to get the topic on the back of their minds would be a waste of time.

Non-Sunni women in large parts of Iraq and Syria are literally enslaved (usually sexually).

In the year 2015.

What a joke. The UN struggles to be effective. Can they can handle multiple issues at once? Yes. But online harassment is not a worthy issue right now. Even a 2 minute speech to get the topic on the back of their minds would be a waste of time.

How on earth do you make an assessment like this? Seriously--you seem to have a way of deeming something as "worth" or "not worthy". What metrics are you using? How do you determine one issue to be more important than the other?

UN should focus solely on how we're unsustainably draining our planet of resources that keep us alive. That's clearly the most important, right?

How on earth do you make an assessment like this? Seriously--you seem to have a way of deeming something as "worth" or "not worthy". What metrics are you using? How do you determine one issue to be more important than the other?

I would've said that people literally dying and being enslaved is a bit more important than harrassment, but apparently that's just me.

But online harassment is not a worthy issue right now.

It kinda is though.

You know why? Because these two women, and many others like them, have been harassed for over a year for committing the heinous act of being a woman in male-dominated sphere. Schools have had bomb and gun threats called in an attempt to silence them. Calls of violence made to them and their family. You don't see those as 'worthy' issues right now? When then?

Crisium

UN should focus solely on how we're unsustainably draining our planet of resources that keep us alive. That's clearly the most important, right?

As I said, the UN can work on more than one issue at the same time. I'm certain there are multiple issues that humanity should collectively work to solve on. I don't have a perfect metric for you - I would never claim too.

But I will claim to you, and everyone right now, that online harassment is unworthy a topic to the United Nations of the world.

I would've said that people literally dying and being enslaved is a bit more important than supposed harrassment, but apparently that's just me.

The UN, much like human fucking beings, is capable of providing a platform for multiple issues at a time.

I really like how you said supposed harassment, though. How crazy would it be if you had a bias against Anita/Zoe and it was somehow informing your stance on this topic! Pretty wild!

But I will claim to you, and everyone right now, that online harassment is unworthy a topic to the United Nations of the world.

Why? You've yet to actually answer.

andymcc

Banned
I would've said that people literally dying and being enslaved is a bit more important than supposed harrassment, but apparently that's just me.

they're both important issues. i'm glad you can tell other people what is and isn't important as you yourself will never receive a fraction of the level of harassment these women receive.

i'm expecting lots of grayed out names.

It kinda is though.

You know why? Because these two women, and many others like them, have been harassed for over a year for committing the heinous act of being a woman in male-dominated sphere. Schools have had bomb and gun threats called in an attempt to silence them. Calls of violence made to them and their family. You don't see those as 'worthy' issues right now? When then?

And with Zoe, she was forced to flee from her home and was basically homeless for a half a year.

foltzie1

In the year 2015.

The UN or any body is capable of handling multiple items at any one time.

"There are other more important issues", is the kind of BS argument used anytime wants to deflect rather than address an issue.

I do not know about you, but I am capable of understanding multiple problems at any one time and have opinions that may different on each topic.

Are you suggesting that Quinn and Sarkeesian should set aside their personal experiences and focus on Iraqi and Syrian foreign policy?

spons

Gold Member

In the year 2015.

I don't agree with invalidating one issue by saying the other is larger and more important. Online harassment exists, and is a problem, so fix it (obviously easier said than done - this needs a drastic culture change).

Chabbles

Okay, question.

I know online harassment is a thing, I've experienced my own share of it over the years for one thing or another, (not Anita Sarkeesian levels of harassment, but still.) Regardless, is there really any point in talking to the UN about it, or this another one of those "Feels good," kind of things? I mean, It's not as if the UN actually has any power over human behavior, in any way shape or form.

Wondering the same thing. Its the human condition and the root of the cause is what needs to be dealt with .. maybe round up afew thousand of the worst offenders of the vilest death threats and study their behavior. Find out what makes them do the things they do. Study their upbringing and interrogate the shit out of them. You'd probably find out they're just sadistic assholes in nature, who were never thought any manners/respect. The UN will have quite a task tackling that.

dLMN8R

It's quite convenient that some people don't seem to care about "Important Issues (TM)" until people like Anita and Zoe start talking about something that they have the privilege to not be affected by, and then they can compare those "Important Issues (TM)" to those other issues that are apparently less important.

The world (and UN) has the capacity to care about more than one important issue at a time.

Supposed?

Oh.

JDSN

Banned
So surprised to see so many concerned users about Syria and Iraq, never see them posting in threads related to that or bringing awareness of these issues....except in here.

Crisium

Why? You've yet to actually answer.

Are you sure I didn't mention how most of the world doesn't have the internet, parts of the world are suffering from death and enslavement, and we want to bring up to the UN online harassment? Entire nations barely have internet outside of their government and elite classes. It's not even just an issue of relevency to numbers. Even internet connected nations like the US, Korea, etc. have much more to worry about. There is room for online harassment debate and change, but not at the UN. It reeks of entitlement, and ignorant first worlders.

Are you sure I didn't mention how most of the world doesn't have the internet, parts of the world are suffering from death and enslavement, and we want to bring up to the UN online harassment? Entire nations barely have internet outside of their government and elite classes. It's not even just an issue of relevency to numbers. Even internet connected nations like the US, Korea, etc. have much more to worry about. There is room for online harassment debate and change, but not at the UN.
Considering they're talking at the UN, the UN obviously feels differently on the matter

ExVicis

So surprised to see so many concerned users about Syria and Iraq, never see them posting in threads related to that or bringing awareness of these issues....except in here.
I'm not one of those posters but...you're saying I don't care about them if I don't post about Syria and Iraq on Neogaf? Because I hope you don't presume to know what I do and do not care about.

I love calls to greater urgency that are issued by people who don't actually care about the greater issues they bring up. Yeah people being killed, raped, or tortured is awful and a huge issue the UN should dedicate a significant amount of its time towards. But you know what, they can also dedicate a little time to dealing with the growing issue of online abuse, an issue that's only going to get bigger and worse if it's not curtailed soon.

Edit:

Agreed. This is the point I was alluding to above.

aeolist

Banned

why bother with syria and iraq when climate change will kill us all someday

why bother addressing climate change when the sun will be come a white dwarf and earth will be uninhabitable

why bother caring about earth when the universe will undergo heat death and it will be impossible for life to exist anywhere

now excuse me, i have some angry emails to send to companies that advertise on gawker

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Zoe's group is doing some awesome work for all sorts of victims of online harassment. I'm glad she's getting a chance to speak and build up support for it.

In the year 2015.

"The sun is going to explode and kill us all a few billion years from now. What's the UN doing wasting its time with this short-term shit anyway?"

Ayt

Banned
Are you sure I didn't mention how most of the world doesn't have the internet, parts of the world are suffering from death and enslavement, and we want to bring up to the UN online harassment? Entire nations barely have internet outside of their government and elite classes. It's not even just an issue of relevency to numbers. Even internet connected nations like the US, Korea, etc. have much more to worry about. There is room for online harassment debate and change, but not at the UN. It reeks of entitlement, and ignorant first worlders.

Textbook case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fallacy_of_relative_privation

Given everything you pointed out, why are you wasting time on a gaming forum Mr. First World Problems?

JDSN

Banned
I'm not one of those posters but...you're saying I don't care about them if I don't post about Syria and Iraq on Neogaf? Because I hope you don't presume to know what I do and do not care about.

I presume if you care about a topic enough to post on a unrelated thread in an internet message board you care enough to post in a context that its actually relevant to the discussion, otherwise what you are doing its actually dismissive of both issues, not to mention off topic.

Crisium

"The sun is going to explode and kill us all a few billion years from now. What's the UN doing wasting its time with this short-term shit anyway?"

It's not like my very post that you just quoted didn't mention at all that the UN can tackle multiple issues at once... or did it. Please stop the hyperbole and acknowledge degrees of relevancy for allocation of resources.

ExVicis

I presume if you care about a topic enough to post on a unrelated thread in an internet message board you care enough to post in a context that its actually relevant to the discussion, otherwise what you are doing its actually dismissive of both issues, not to mention off topic.
I disliked the implication the original post seem to imply but you're right with this post. I retract my statement upon further clarification and apologize.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom