• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Any Nespresso Owners Here? If so, can you recommend me some of your favorite pods/recipes

Billbofet

Gold Member
Wife and I just recently purchased a Nespresso VirtuoPlus coffee maker.
For years, we have had a Kuerig. The convenience and variety of below-average coffee has been great, but we wanted to step it up a bit.
We are loving the Nespresso so far. It still has the convenience of one-cup brewing like the Kuerig, but the quality is quite a step up. I realized it's not the same as taking the time to grind beans, french press, etc. but it's like 80% of the way there in my opinion.

Anyway, for those that have one, what are some of your favorite pods. I'd also like to try the recipes for cappuccinos, ice coffee, and latte, so any recipes there would be appreciated.

I have had the Starbucks Pike Place and Veranda and they are okay (6/10). I enjoy darker roast and my wife is in the middle. So far, Stormio and Costa Rica are my faves.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I only drink it when it's around so I don't have strong opinions. I've only had the official pods and haven't really come across a flavor I did not like. Keep experimenting with different options--it's half the fun.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
miss my Nespresso. made some truly delicious espressos...but unfortunately the pods are too expensive in the states and the machines are designed to crap out

Billbofet

Gold Member
I have the VirtoPlus machine, so it takes the newer style pods.

I just made an ice coffee with the Ice Leggaro pod, and it's one of the best coffee drinks I've ever had. Wow!

Buy reusable pods and mix your own stuff (make sure to check the barcode/size before you buy). The Nespresso machines are not as versatile as Dolce Gusto but you can still make your own coffee blend.

Fbh

Back when I used it I thought these Jakobs (which they had in a local supermarket) were pretty good for the price:

Buy reusable pods and mix your own stuff (make sure to check the barcode/size before you buy). The Nespresso machines are not as versatile as Dolce Gusto but you can still make your own coffee blend.

To each their own but I've never much seen the point of the reusable pods.
If you are going to start refilling and washing pods why not just get a regular espresso machine?

Billbofet

Gold Member
I have tried again and again to use reusable pods and they always taste like ass.
Granted, this has only been with the Keurig, so I'll give the Nespresso a try with these at some point. Thanks!

Durask

I like coffee that's not bitter, in fact IMHO true espresso, the one you make from freshly roasted beans with perfect pressure and time has barely any bitterness - don't have the time or tbh motivation for that but sure love it when I can bum a shot from an espresso snob. :messenger_savoring:

My favorites are:

Original - Chiaro

Vertuo - Double Espresso Bianco Leggero

Durask

Costco sells Pete's coffee pods which are much cheaper and taste great.

costco.com/peet's-coffee-nespresso-compatible-aluminum-capsules%2c-80-count.product.100462497.html

I typically use both lungo and restretto for each cup, although I believe there's a way to change the duration of each button. I've had my delonghi for about 4-5 years and LOVE IT.

This is very cheap.
In regular supermarkets Peet's capsules are usually $8 for 10 capsules which is actually more expensive than Nespresso ($7.20 for 10 capsules).

lachesis

I also didn't like Keurig, even though they were very convenient. I heard Nespresso is a lot better too.

During early pandemic, I really missed getting a good cup of strong coffee & was getting quite sick of instant coffee. Tried all kinds of brands but it just wasn't cutting it for me.

So I was also debating a Nespresso machine, or actual espresso machine... In the end, I was quite close getting a Gaggia Classic to get started in espresso game - but I don't think I was quite ready to really invest in it, as well as maintenance / and all the science of making a really great espresso. I didn't know that grinder would cost that much - and I knew that I would get pretty obtuse about bean freshness and all... so decided to just not to. As much as I like my cup of coffee, I didn't think I could do that... and Nespresso seemed too expensive as I drink quite a bit of coffee. Normally about 3 shots in the morning. Sometimes 4. (but just once a day, in the morning)

Also being a cheap bastard, I ended up going with a Moka Pot - 6 cup/shot variant and to see if I'm cut out for daily coffee making routines.
What I ended up realizing & sticking to it was the cost benefit of it.

It's a bit more wasteful in bean usage, compared a real espresso machine - but I can buy bulk Lavazza Crema e Gusto, pre-ground 4 brick packs at around 18 bucks - 4 dollars and 50 cents per brick.
1 brick of Crema e Gusto, makes about 60 strong shots (well, not as strong as a true espresso, but darn strong). In the end, one shot/cup came down to 7.5 cents. If I went with Cafe Bustelo grinds, each shot goes down in price even further too.

I have to wash every time I use, and takes about 10 minutes or so to prep and clean up afterwards - but it makes pretty good, consistent strong coffee of my liking.
It took me a little practice to get things right and consistent, but since buying this... I am having hard time drinking coffee outside, other than actual cafe with proper barista, not Starbucks with their fully automated espresso machines. (Even started doing a bit of latte art myself)

MikeM

Love mine. Been using it for 3 years now.

My go to coffee is the hazelino muffin (hazelnut). The decaf is really good too if you want some of those.

MrMephistoX

Lungo mode.

That’s it it’s just a long espresso with a medium breakfast roast and then you can do Cream and sugar like a normal cup of coffee. If you want it stronger do it once if you want it weaker run the same pod twice. You can also get reusable pods for most any blend but I like the Peets medium roast and Pikes Place roast from Starbucks.

I had two but after I saw a documentary about how bad those pods are for the environment I gave them away lol.

i love coffee so I got an automatic (with grinder and all) and is way better! I just put the beans and the left over I use for my plants 🪴. It was expensive though, around 2000 us +

Durask

dam, which one you got?
The original Citiz (stock photo)

iu

Last edited:

Durask

Also being a cheap bastard, I ended up going with a Moka Pot - 6 cup/shot variant and to see if I'm cut out for daily coffee making routines.
What I ended up realizing & sticking to it was the cost benefit of it.

Try AeroPress

It is dirt cheap and makes very very nice coffee - follow the instructions exactly the way they say and you will get coffee with barely any bitterness.

lachesis

Try AeroPress

It is dirt cheap and makes very very nice coffee - follow the instructions exactly the way they say and you will get coffee with barely any bitterness.

I may try do that. Also heard good things about AeroPress too and see how it differs.

As with the Moka Pot - it's actually all about right kind of grind, even more so is how much coffee is in there. Sometimes if I put too much, the water struggles to come out, and sometimes it comes out a bit watery, or if I run it too long - comes out too bitter.

I don't necessarily mind a bit of bitterness, as I normally make latte out of it. What's really important for me though, is the strength of it to give me the caffeine kick. I seem to have pretty high tolerance, so I tend to drink 3-4 shots in the morning, and used to drink more in the afternoon - but realized that too much strong coffee in a day makes my stomach upset - so that's why I've been drinking it with milk or almond milk.

Durask

I may try do that. Also heard good things about AeroPress too and see how it differs.

As with the Moka Pot - it's actually all about right kind of grind, even more so is how much coffee is in there. Sometimes if I put too much, the water struggles to come out, and sometimes it comes out a bit watery, or if I run it too long - comes out too bitter.

I don't necessarily mind a bit of bitterness, as I normally make latte out of it. What's really important for me though, is the strength of it to give me the caffeine kick. I seem to have pretty high tolerance, so I tend to drink 3-4 shots in the morning, and used to drink more in the afternoon - but realized that too much strong coffee in a day makes my stomach upset - so that's why I've been drinking it with milk or almond milk.

Darker roasts have slightly less caffeine - the lighter the roast the more caffeine (slightly and unlikely to make a difference)

However, if you want the most caffeine, you'll need to make cold brew - that stuff is liquid caffeine.

lachesis

Darker roasts have slightly less caffeine - the lighter the roast the more caffeine (slightly and unlikely to make a difference)

However, if you want the most caffeine, you'll need to make cold brew - that stuff is liquid caffeine.

I see. Didn't know lighter roasts actually had more caffeine. (sometimes feels a bit fruity but at the same time a bit acidic in taste... so I tend to go with darker ones.)
Perhaps I will try out different beans/grinds or maybe even get one of those hand-grinders. (Too cheap to get an actual machine grinder.. lol)

I hear Aeropress also makes quick cold brew and I just bought one you've mentoined... will see how it goes.
Like many Asians, I drink iced coffee even in cold weather... so it maybe a worthy investment. (Heck it's only 30 bucks so..)

Thing about the Moka Pot, it's got it's quirks - but the one that I don't like the most is the rubber gasket is rather hard to get it out after brewing & cleaning.
Sometimes putting coffee into the filter basket can get a bit messy around too. Aeropress does seem to be much easier to clean.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
I have a nespresso with classic pods at home.

It's incredibly convenient and makes quick, no effort, OK coffee.

On the other hand it's very enviromentally unfriendly and you can have better coffee at home.

At the end of the day, I like the convenience...

I have a nespresso with classic pods at home.

It's incredibly convenient and makes quick, no effort, OK coffee.

On the other hand it's very enviromentally unfriendly and you can have better coffee at home.

At the end of the day, I like the convenience...

I bought the Mrs a Tassimo machine for Xmas.

I feel guilty every time I use it.

It's like David Attenborough is standing over my shoulder letting out a big sigh.

I signed up for PodBack, coffee return recycling, but still, I imagine there's a lot of people who don't.

But Bailey's Latte...

Love my Nespresso Vertuo Plus. Stormio is my favorite. Make coffee pretty much everyday, but also clean and descale about once a month. Supposedly that helps keep it up and running for a long time.

Billbofet

Gold Member
Love my Nespresso Vertuo Plus. Stormio is my favorite. Make coffee pretty much everyday, but also clean and descale about once a month. Supposedly that helps keep it up and running for a long time.
Agreed. Now that I have had it for several months, my favorite is Stormio and my wife's is Melozio.
On the few occasions we have run out before our next delivery and have had to go back to the Keurig, it's like night and day.

Top Bottom