• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Woman goes 24 hours without spending any money. So proud she writes an article.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mAcOdIn

Come on, get off the "she still spent money" part, it's silly. You can't not "spend" money just by virtue of being alive. Do you own property? Even if it's 100% paid off you might as well divide your property tax by the day and count that as spending money, even if you're out camping and not using the property, even if you're in Azerbaijan, even if you're fixing the Hubble in space you're being charged for that day. Same with cable, Internet, insurane, gas, water, electric, doesn't matter if you're not physically using it, there is a minimum they'll charge you and it isn't zero. There's no way she's mistaken the two types of expenditures and we shouldn't either.

Alucrid

Banned
Shanadeus said:
Wait wat?
She doesn't even have a proper degree in Psychology and still landed a job as an fucking analyst?
Wonder who she fucked to land that job, or I guess her daddy might have helped her.

Please note the school she graduated from.

Dead Man

Cronox said:
ITT: poor misers criticise rich woman for spending money daily.
ITT: Cronox doesn't read the thread.

Almost no one has criticised her for spending money, they have criticised her for being so proud of her pathetic feat of 1 day.

What the fuck? This haughty bitch sees fit to write an article bragging about how she went one day without pissing away money on luxuries (while at the same time obviously bragging about having that kind of lifestyle to begin with)? How is this an accomplishment?

CassSept

Mad Max said:
Probably no one here has ever gone a day without spending any money though, electricity and water also cost money, food you bought earlier doesn't really count obviously, and even if you produced your own food you'd still have some expenses.
Well, we did going by her definition.
Heck, that's what I've done today! And will probably do tomorrow! Ain't I amazing!

quaere

Shanadeus said:
Wait wat?
She doesn't even have a proper degree in Psychology and still landed a job as an fucking analyst?
Wonder who she fucked to land that job, or I guess her daddy might have helped her.
Standard practice at any elite job. They look for intelligence, not a certain set of skills. 8% of JP Morgan entry level hires are liberal arts majors.

DJ_Tet

Banned
80 * 240 working days = $19,200 pissed away on restaurant food (for one,) coffee and taxis.

I know it's easy to spend money in NYC but damn.

Her point is valid (most people have little routines, $4 coffee here, $5 muffin there, $2 snack here that do add up.) I remember when I calculated how much going to fast food for lunch everyday was costing me (in addition to gas wasted sitting in line/driving there) and it's astonishing.

It wasn't $19,200 though :lol

Yen

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
ITT: Gaf hates successful people who frankly writes an useless articles but is a nice insight into the people who have excess money.

Really GAF, it's not a sin to be upper class. She seems like a smart girl with excess money, but what can you do. She probably doesn't enjoy life as much as some people here do.

Shanadeus

Banned
aswedc said:
Standard practice at any elite job. They look for intelligence, not a certain set of skills. 8% of JP Morgan entry level hires are liberal arts majors.
Please tell me that a proper psychology degree would land you a better job at least.

Liberal arts majors are ugh.

ronito

Relix said:
ITT: Gaf hates successful people who frankly writes an useless articles but is a nice insight into the people who have excess money.

Really GAF, it's not a sin to be upper class. She seems like a smart girl with excess money, but what can you do. She probably doesn't enjoy life as much as some people here do.
Hey how was that internship at goldman sachs, was it?

JDSN

Banned
Relix said:

The OT is full of some of the oldest miserable young adult people ever, I dont know what are you talking about.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
JDSN said:
The OT is full of some of the oldest miserable young adult people ever, I dont know what are you talking about.

Hey I said "some". I at least do enjoy more than her =P

koam

Tacitus_ said:
"Let them eat cake" is the traditional translation of the French phrase "Qu'ils mangent de la brioche", supposedly said by a French princess upon learning that the peasants had no bread. As brioche is a luxury bread enriched with eggs and butter, it would reflect the princess's obliviousness to the nature of a famine.

Well at least I learned something out of this!

Shanadeus said:
Wait wat?
I honestly cannot make the connection myself. Even if she took one finance class at Harvard, how is it still a qualification for landing an Analyst job at Morgan Stanley? I mean, how the fuck did her resume even get selected?

"We're looking to hire a financial analyst at Morgan Stanley, one of the biggest financial institutions in the country. Lets see what we got here. Harvard graduate? Good. Magna cum laude? Good. Major in Psychology, Romance languages & Literature? Good. Thesis on Bhutan's development? HIRE HER NOW!"

Let alone her interview for the job...I shudder to think what was even asked.

Koomaster

I like her solution to spending money when hanging out with friends. Have them bring you food and wine, then throw together something from left over products in your own cupboard to feed them.

Hmm, I've got an almost finished jar of peanut butter, frozen spinach and olive oil that I am looking to get rid of, time to invite over my best buds!

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
So many comments here borderlining sexist...

Bottomline is, she's a Harvard graduate, what do you expect ? They got vast connections and can get their alumni really good jobs after graduation. People who are in the positions she's in rarely make food anyways because they often eat out and network or simply due to the lack of time to prepare food at home. This applies to both guys and girls in similar position. You guys would all be doing the same thing too if you're in her position.

Shanadeus

Banned
NetMapel said:

Bottomline is, she's a Harvard graduate, what do you expect ? They got vast connections and can get their alumni really good jobs after graduation. People who are in the positions she's in rarely make food anyways because they often eat out and network or simply due to the lack of time to prepare food at home. This applies to both guys and girls in similar position. You guys would all be doing the same thing too if you're in her position.
It takes a certain kind of person to do the same thing she's doing, probably someone that hasn't grown up in a frugal environment and are used to lavish spending.

NetMapel said:

Most rich people would have the common decency to at least be slightly modest or coy about it in public so as not to look like a humongous douche.

The "let them eat cake" quote is perfect

NetMapel

Shanadeus said:
It takes a certain kind of person to do the same thing she's doing, probably someone that hasn't grown up in a frugal environment and are used to lavish spending.
Did she grow up rich ?

ElectricBlue187 said:
Most rich people would have the common decency to at least be slightly modest or coy about it in public so as not to look like a humongous douche.

The "let them eat cake" quote is perfect
What I think is that this article's target audience is not any of us. Hardly any of us go to any personal wealth management firm anyways to manage our wealth because there isn't much to be managed in the first place. It is obvious that her article is intended for people closer to her economic and social status.

You work at Morgan Stanely or other private trading firms for 14 hours a day or something and see if you got time to make food for yourself everyday !

She sounds like my roommate.

I think he calculated sometime last fall (he's a lawyer) that he was spending something like $800 a month on just food, because he was eating out for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

He's between jobs atm, so he at least attempts to cook himself dinner 2-3x a week now, though he'll still go driving halfway around town to find his favorite spots for breakfast and lunch.

NetMapel said:

The timing of the job has nothing to do with it. People like my friend, who's home now 20 hrs a day, still for some reason "can't find the time" to cook themselves a decent meal, sweep the floor, or wash the dishes, because they weren't accustomed to doing it their entire lives. There's nothing about their morning routine that says they can't put together a pb&j before they walk out the door, and frankly I find the insinuation that other people don't work hard at their jobs rather insulting. I know grad students and post-docs who put in 80 hr weeks on the regular and they have no problem not blowing their stipends on cab-rides and Starbucks.

And as soon as he finds another job, he'll go right back to spending the way he was.

NetMapel said:
What I think is that this article's target audience is not any of us. Hardly any of us go to any personal wealth management firm anyways to manage our wealth because there isn't much to be managed in the first place. It is obvious that her article is intended for people closer to her economic and social status.

You work at Morgan Stanely or other private trading firms for 14 hours a day or something and see if you got time to make food for yourself everyday !
She starts her diarrhea of an article with these words:
What would be it like to go a day without spending any money? How would I get from A to B? What about food? Turns out, a day of living expense free is very easy to do.
She casts no illusions as to who her audience is. I spend around $5 a day on food and snacks so obviously I was interested in reading the article. $30-$35 a week on food for me is way too high. Imagine the surprise when I found out that $30-$35 is what she spends on one single meal.

And yeah, its possible to eat at home even when you're pretty well off. I've seen doctors cooking food and eating at home.

Oyashiro

Fuck, I spend money like once or twice a week :lol And also, she takes a cab to work when it's a 20 minute walk away? Really?

Shanadeus

Banned
NetMapel said:
Did she grow up rich ?
Who knows, I grew up rich and I'm not incapable of living frugally and minimalistic.
She probably grew up barely doing anything herself through hard work.

Gad, taking a cab when her work is 20 minutes away. And what kind of crappy food does she generally eat to find a pasta with peas and tomato vodka sauce tasty?

Dennis

Banned
NetMapel said:
This comment annoys me. Had it been a man he would be called a total douchebag and you know it. Why should we be any less scathing in our criticism just because it is a woman?

I have noticed this as a bothersome trend - woman being offended that men would even have the audacity to criticize them!

Get over yourself, you are not above criticism and you do not have the right not to be offended.

NetMapel

I don't like her actions any more than you guys, but I see a lot more jealously and unfounded assumptions than actual facts here about her. Plus, it looks to me like she lives a lot like other CEOs or rich people so I don't know why you guys are singling her out and bashing her this way. So we got a few talented multitasking doctors or whatever who can work hard and still make food for themselves... good for them but that's still just anecdotal evidence. Personally, I rarely see a lot of CEOs or people in those positions eat the food they cook themselves. If they bring food, it's usually by their wife or girlfriend (well, all the CEOs I've personally known are guys).

DennisK4 said:
This comment annoys me. Had it been a man he would be called a total douchebag and you know it. Why should we be any less scathing in our criticism just because it is a woman?

I have noticed this as a bothersome trend - woman being offended that men would even have the audacity to criticize them!

Get over yourself, you are not above criticism and you do not have the right not to be offended.
I've seen way too many examples here on GAF where if it's a topic about gays or blacks, the aggressive tone is far less than a topic about woman. Now THIS is an annoying trend. I'm sure this topic would have taken a different tone if somebody else wrote this exact same article.

Dennis

Banned
Oh please, the favorite pastime on GAF is for guys to call other guys douchebags for everything and nothing.

I don't really see anything in this thread to do about her gender - its all about her sense of entitlement and how far removed she seems from most people.

To you it just instantly became about gender somehow.

Edit: in fairness, I suppose the comments about her sleeping her way to the job can be seen as sexist.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
It may come off as a little tactless but the article has some good points for discussion. I think everyone here can cut their expenses by not purchasing unnecessary things but there is a point where it starts to have a negative effect on your perceived quality of life.

For example, I can save money by not buying any fruit juice but I love fruit juice so that would have a huge impact on me. So instead I save money on things I care little about, like clothing. I could stop buying video games but I would rather save by not eating out.

I'm curious to know what GAFfers consider to be their "luxury items."

NetMapel

DennisK4 said:
Oh please, the favorite pastime on GAF is for guys to call other guys douchebags for everything and nothing.

I don't really see anything in this thread to do about her gender - its all about her sense of entitlement and how far removed she seems from most people.

Edit: in fairness, I suppose the comments about her sleeping her way to the job can be seen as sexist.
You must have missed all the Girl-age threads then :lol

Shanadeus

Banned
DennisK4 said:

Not at all, if it was a man I'd remark on the number of gay men he must have sucked off to get the job.

Zilch

Banned
Although I agree with the general sentiment of this thread, I find a lot of comments here totally bewildering.

Why would she take a taxi instead of the bus? Are you fucking kidding me?! Come to NYC, get on a bus, tell me if you see any middle-upper-class white female executives on it. Hell, get on a few buses and report back to me.

And food-wise, NYC just has this learned/ingrained take-out/eat-out mentality. Some people barely use their own kitchens. It's hard to step outside your apartment without spending money and for better or worse this attitude is encouraged.

projekt84

RustyNails said:
She's a Harvard graduate with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, romance languages & literature, with Magna cum laude plus thesis on "Bhutan's development".

And she landed a job as an Analyst at a trading group right out of school. Yeah. So remember kiddies, your Psychology degree is not a waste. You can always end up as a big shot analyst at a financial firm.

RustyNails said:
So remember kiddies, your Psychology degree is not a waste.

Hmm...

RustyNails said:
Bachelor of Arts degree in Psychology, romance languages & literature

RustyNails said:
Harvard Graduate

One of these quotes is more important than the other.

NetMapel said:
I don't like her actions any more than you guys, but I see a lot more jealously and unfounded assumptions than actual facts here about her. Plus, it looks to me like she lives a lot like other CEOs or rich people so I don't know why you guys are singling her out and bashing her this way. So we got a few talented multitasking doctors or whatever who can work hard and still make food for themselves... good for them but that's still just anecdotal evidence. Personally, I rarely see a lot of CEOs or people in those positions eat the food they cook themselves. If they bring food, it's usually by their wife or girlfriend (well, all the CEOs I've personally known are guys).

I've seen way too many examples here on GAF where if it's a topic about gays or blacks, the aggressive tone is far less than a topic about woman. Now THIS is an annoying trend. I'm sure this topic would have taken a different tone if somebody else wrote this exact same article.

I think most of us wouldn't have written an article about how we didn't spend money, that's the bottom line. MALE or FEMALE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom