• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently, Ben Carsen likes the free market because it caused the financial crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My family just received this flyer in the mail (for some reason, they thought we were republicans). It includes one line that's pure gold:

4e6d645793.JPG

He's a free-market advocate: he points to the deregulation of Wall Street in the 1990's as the root cause of the financial crisis.

So well why the heck then would you be a free market advocate?!

Do the people who write these things even understand the words they're using?!

Edit: Thanks to j_k_redtail for finding the original article: http://www.newsmax.com/t/newsmax/article/642490
1. He's a newcomer: Carson has never run for a public office and could bring a fresh perspective to the White House should he transform his success as an author and speaker into a competitive campaign.

2. He's not politically correct: He often speaks out against the evil of political correctness in his speeches and interviews, and his position has been reflected in policy ideas and his six published books that don't always follow the straight conservative line.

3. He's for a flat tax: Carson has often spoken in favor of a flat tax to replace the nation's current tax structure, including citing the Bible in his arguments. He has not settled on a number, but says 10 percent is recommended in the Bible so he often recommends between 10-15 percent that is proportional across all income levels.

4. He is a fierce Obamacare foe: As a world class surgeon, Carson says health insurance companies should be turned into utilities with profit limits, and has even brought controversy by equating the Affordable Care Act with "slavery."

5. He's a free-market advocate: He points to the deregulation of Wall Street in the 1990s as the root cause of the financial crisis.

6. He's for individualism and independence: Even though his family relied on food stamps while he was young, he says President Lyndon Johnson's Great Society era started the steady fall of the country's individualism and independence.

7. He's got guts: Carson's launch can be traced back to February 2013, when he delivered his fiery speech at the National Prayer Breakfast challenging President Barack Obama on health care, taxes, spending, and the country's direction — all with the president and first lady sitting just a few feet away.

8. He's got a real rags to riches story: With the support and prodding of his mother, he rose from poor grades, a single-parent home, and poverty to attend Yale University and medical school at the University of Michigan.

9. He's a bonafide genius: He became the director of pediatric neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins Children's Center, all while becoming the first surgeon to successfully separate twins conjoined at the back of the head.

10. He's used to the corporate world: Carson has served on corporate boards including Kellogg Co. and Costco Wholesale Corp., and his foundation, Carson Scholars Fund, is operating in all 50 states and has given out nearly $6 million in scholarships to students for academic and humanitarian achievement.

11. He backs social conservatism: Carson is a staunch social conservative who opposes abortion rights and same-sex marriage, views he attributes to his personal faith as a practicing Christian.

12. He's a loyal husband and family man: Carson, who has three sons, is rarely without his wife, Candy, by his side. Though she has no official title, she's described by aides as a senior adviser on his team, a group that has hired a mix of businessmen and political veterans in recent months in preparation for a run.

TS-08

"Even though Ben directly benefitted from food stamps on his path to a successful career as a doctor, he doesn't think others should receive the assistance because screw everyone else."

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
"Even though Ben directly benefitted from food stamps on his path to a successful career as a doctor, he doesn't think others should receive the assistance because screw everyone else."

I'm curious what a young Ben Carson would say to his parents to keep them from using food stamps; or if he even knew what they were.

Asbel

4. He is a fierce Obamacare foe: As a world class surgeon, Carson says health insurance companies should be turned into utilities with profit limits, and has even brought controversy by equating the Affordable Care Act with "slavery."
Free market advocate

Makai

Number 6 is good too. "Even though my family used food stamps to survive, anti-poverty programs destroy our freedom"

Isn't this the common belief of everyone on the right? I'm sure if you asked Kasich or Jeb they'd say the same thing.

Deregulation = free market. Here, Carson (or, a writer whom Carson's campaign deemed good enough to use in a flyer) is saying that the he's an advocate of deregulation because deregulation is what caused the financial crisis.

2. He's not politically correct: He often speaks out against the evil of political correctness in his speeches and interviews, and his position has been reflected in policy ideas and his six published books that don't always follow the straight conservative line.

Poor choice of words.

Maledict

How can one simultaneously be for the free market and deregulation, yet at the same time advocate for turning the health insurance companies into utility companies with a cap on profits? Aren't they the exact opposites of each other?

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Number 6 is good too. "Even though my family used food stamps to survive, anti-poverty programs destroy our freedom"

Welfare works differently for conservatives. For them, it contributes to, and even enhances their self-reliance, and thus, technically isn't even welfare anymore, as welfare is only used by weak-willed, government reliant liberals.

Is the insurance utilities thing actually a bad idea?

It's a new one to me, so I'm not really sure how it'd work, but on the face of it it... doesn't sound like a terrible idea? The profit limit part, at least. Not sure how making it a utility would work, exactly, since unlike other utilities (e.g. power, water), you don't always use your health insurance.

EDIT FOR COMPREHENSIBILITY:

Profit limit sounds good (since health insurance isn't an industry that requires constant growth and innovation, profit isn't a necessary incentive for quality), but I have no idea what he means by utility.

woolley

I thought everyone stopped acknowledging that he's in the race. We all know his whole campaign was just to sell books and he never wanted to be President.

I thought everyone stopped acknowledging that he's in the race. We all know his whole campaign was just to sell books and he never wanted to be President.

I mean, what I really don't understand is why they're sending us flyers in the first place. Presumably, they know that we aren't registered republicans, so why are they spending money on people who can't possibly vote in the primaries?

I live in the IE(Southern California) and saw somebody sporting a bumper stick Carson for president. The rest of the bumper stickers were about God and Jesus.

I live in the IE and saw somebody sporting a bumper stick Carson for president. The rest of the bumper stickers were about God and Jesus.

Reminds me of the time I seen a person with a Trump for president sticker while I was driving. He was pissed at me and I still don't know what I did to make him road rage.

This is still the worst. I still cannot believe it.

Ben Carson’s bumbling humiliation of 5th-grader: Too painful to be called a gaffe
“Anybody here in fifth grade?” Carson said. “Who’s the worst student?”

This was not a deleted scene from a dream sequence in a John Hughes film. This was real. The question briefly hung in the air — a humiliation bomb waiting to be told its target.

Then, the finger-pointing began. One student from Isaac Newton Christian Academy — motto: “Developing Christlike character and academic excellence” — was singled out by his peers, a dozen of whom pointed directly to their choice, that one boy, for “worst student.”
It's really about time this masquerader left our home planet and went back to his galaxy.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Well that was really dumb, but at least it was uh... well-meaning I guess? Not really the worst thing Carson said or did, to be honest.

This isn't really all that strange.

The whole point of the free market is that it rises by itself and falls by itself and will fix itself due to the nature of what a market does.

There were plenty of people during the 08 crash saying nobody should be bailed out and to let it all fall down because it would be better in the long run to have institutions and markets rebuild from the rubble and ash that will be guaranteed to fix the issues instead of keeping the ones in place that have a higher chance of repeating.

The Obama care quote is just as bad lmao! He believes in profit limits for insurance companies, but don't worry guys, he's a big time CONSERVATIVE

This isn't really all that strange.

The whole point of the free market is that it rises by itself and falls by itself and will fix itself due to the nature of what a market does.

There were plenty of people during the 08 crash saying nobody should be bailed out and to let it all fall down because it would be better in the long run to have institutions and markets rebuild from the rubble and ash that will be guaranteed to fix the issues instead of keeping the ones in place that have a higher chance of repeating.

What does this have to do with the deregulation of wall street in the 90's?

danm999

The turn companies into utilities with profit limits point immediately followed by FREE MARKET ADVOCATE gave me whiplash.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Deregulation = free market. Here, Carson (or, a writer whom Carson's campaign deemed good enough to use in a flyer) is saying that the he's an advocate of deregulation because deregulation is what caused the financial crisis.

Oh wow, I guess I misread as "regulation" because "deregulation" just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Along those same lines, maybe it was a typo no one caught? A result of the "de" being left on after rewording the sentence?

Along those same lines, maybe it was a typo no one caught? A result of the "de" being left on after rewording the sentence?

But there was no wave of regulation of Wall Street in the 90s. What there was was a wave of DE-regulation, which actually matches what's written.

I think the writers just don't actually understand the words they're using.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
This is still the worst. I still cannot believe it.

Ben Carson’s bumbling humiliation of 5th-grader: Too painful to be called a gaffe

It's really about time this masquerader left our home planet and went back to his galaxy.

Honestly, this is probably the only stupid thing Carson has done where I can actually give him a slight pass on. Before I got to the actual point that Carson was making, I figured he was going to make some inane metaphor on something like progressive taxation (i.e. "imagine if the worst student here was getting the same grades as the best ones!) or some other stupid chain e-mail story.

But it turns out he actually had a well meaning intention. It was clumsy, and very inept as are most Carsonisms, but for once, it wasn't malicious.

OuterLimits

Isn't Carson tanking in the polls? I think either his foreign policy blunders or Trump running around doing reenactments of his stabbing stories started the downfall. Maybe both.

Makai

Isn't Carson tanking in the polls? I think either his foreign policy blunders or Trump running around doing reenactments of his stabbing stories started the downfall. Maybe both.
He's hanging in there, though. Still got more than Christie and Jeb combined.

danm999

Yeah it's kind of impressive he's still even in it.

Between suspending his campaign to go on a book tour, his hot takes on the pyramids, and then his home tour with a mural quoting the book of "poverbs" you'd expect him to be well out of it.

Relativ9

Wait...you guys honestly don't see that this is a parody flyer? It's not supposed to make sense, that's the whole point. It's supposed to show that HE doesn't make sense.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Honestly, this is probably the only stupid thing Carson has done where I can actually give him a slight pass on. Before I got to the actual point that Carson was making, I figured he was going to make some inane metaphor on something like progressive taxation (i.e. "imagine if the worst student here was getting the same grades as the best ones!) or some other stupid chain e-mail story.

But it turns out he actually had a well meaning intention. It was clumsy, and very inept as are most Carsonisms, but for once, it wasn't malicious.
Yeah, pretty much how I feel.

Wait...you guys honestly don't see that this is a parody flyer? It's not supposed to make sense, that's the whole point. It's supposed to show that HE doesn't make sense.
Eh, Poe's Law I guess? I thought it had hints of satire but other parts of the flyer seem to suggest otherwise. Where's the confirmation that this flyer is fake?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

It's not parody. It's a Newsmax article, a site that is openly conservative and has run several positive pieces on Carson in addition to this one. It's just that an endorsement of any of the GOP candidates right now is likely to end up reading as indistinguishable from satire.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

Yeah, it's not crazy to expect people to point to at least a few different people.
Makes me wonder what the fuck is going on at that school.

Gandie

[He's for a flat tax: Carson has often spoken in favor of a flat tax to replace the nation's current tax structure, including citing the Bible in his arguments. He has not settled on a number, but says 10 percent is recommended in the Bible so he often recommends between 10-15 percent that is proportional across all income levels.

Let's use an ancient three thousand years old book to solve our economic and social problems. What a clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom