• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apparently Bethesda ripped off a New Vegas mod for a Far Habor Quest in Fallout 4

CloudWolf

CnWiv2jVUAAkodx.jpg

Why would Pete Hines even know something about the quest design? He's the PR guy.

But yeah, that would be one hell of a coincidence. :lol:

Zexen

Well yeah, this "coincidence" is shitty, but even then, the mod's creator doesn't give a damn so, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

As far as I know Obsidian asked for permission from the mod makers. I know for a fact that they asked the creator of the Weapon Modification mod of Fallout 3 for permission to use the same idea in New Vegas.

BigTnaples don't care, he's been corrected at least half a dozen times on his insistence in considering New Vegas a Fallout 3 expansion with mods built in

and yet here we are again

gblues

Banned
To believe the accusation of plagiarism, you have to believe:

- employees of Bethsoft are still playing F:NV
- and they played this one obscure mod
- and someone decided that it was cheaper to go through the effort and expense of editing the script, changing details, recording VA, than to just use the actual mod wholesale.

The EULA for F:NV mods is broad enough that they could just use the mod and give a credit, and minimize expenses to testing, asset upgrades, and VA, which would be vastly less expensive than what they did.

Occam's razor applies here: it's a coincidence (most likely, both mods drew from similar inspiration) and this is nothing more than cheap controversy to get more eyes on an obscure F:NV mod.

J_Viper

All I know is that whoever came up with that block puzzle section in the DLC needs to be fired.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

ItsDorf

Banned
While it's 100% shitty they did nothing illegal and the creator seems to have agreed to it!

Everything built with the Creation Kit belongs to Bethesda per EULA of the CK and before it of the CS.

It is just that nobody paid any heed to those:

"You automatically grant to Bethesda Softworks the irrevocable, perpetual, royalty free, sublicensable right and license under all applicable copyrights and intellectual property rights laws to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, perform, display, distribute and otherwise exploit and/or dispose of the New Materials (or any part of the New Materials) in any way Bethesda Softworks, or its respective designee(s), sees fit."

This was in place since the release of Morrowind's CS - and nobody seemed to care, at all.

Caleb8980

source

- and someone decided that it was cheaper to go through the effort and expense of editing the script, changing details, recording VA, than to just use the actual mod wholesale.

The EULA for F:NV mods is broad enough that they could just use the mod and give a credit, and minimize expenses to testing, asset upgrades, and VA, which would be vastly less expensive than what they did.

I'm not sure why you think any of this. Particularly that they'd even want to use a mod wholesale as a quest.

Even if they had reused the same script verbatim (and there's no way they'd want to), they'd still be re-recording the VA (for cohesion with the rest of the game's sound design) and they'd still be utilizing new assets. The idea that they'd even consider just planting a mod quest from an older game into their newer game wholesale just doesn't make sense

It's entirely possible that only a single person used the mod as an influence and didn't inform anyone else on the team about it. It's easier for me to think of Bethesda as slightly negligent and a bit careless as opposed to a team of competent villains that carry out complicated conspiracies with low payoffs. If anything, the state of their games should point to the former option being far more likely.

The problem is that even if Bethesda realizes one of its employees fucked up, I don't think they can admit to it or remedy it somehow without setting an unfavorable precedent if further coincidences happen in the future ("intentionally" or not). "Fuck you we own you" might end up being the only response they can reasonably take with this.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Occam's razor applies here: it's a coincidence (most likely, both mods drew from similar inspiration) and this is nothing more than cheap controversy to get more eyes on an obscure F:NV mod.

Why wouldn't the makers of RPGs play some of the best RPGs out there?
The similarities are way too close for this to not be the case in the first place, that one design of the central room is near identical. Shit, you're stretching way more than anyone seeing similarities between the two :lol. But gotta defend those poor saps at Bethesda, I guess.

dubq

No one actually thinks the modder should start a fight with Zenimax's legal counsel, not even the modder himself.

What is lame however is Bethesda essentially copied an amateur's work and charged $20 for it.

Yeah, kids. Forget the world where game creators aspire to originality. In the real world, no matter how much love you pour into your RPG, the guys who make formulaic giant sandbox murder simulators and populate it with quests "borrowed" from mods will get all the money.

I wasn't condoning it. Just saying it's naive to think that the modder has any legal recourse.

duckroll

Here's my hot take on this:

- It's not an asset or mechanical copy so much as a questline with a similar overall structure and story concept
- Entirely possibly that one or more persons on the quest design team played the mod, liked it, and tried to make a version of it
- Said people may or may not have disclosed this inspiration to anyone else in the team
- The idea of a murder mystery featuring robots set in a Vault is not really -that- uniquely odd to be considered a smoking gun in a setting like Fallout
- Whatever the EULA for the mod creation tools say is irrelevant because from an ethical standpoint if you're going to copy something you should give the original creator a heads up even if you are legally entitled to do so

So in the end, I think the only people who really know the truth will be the people who made this quest. If they can sleep well at night knowing they did nothing wrong, that's all good.

gblues

Banned
I'm not sure why you think any of this. Particularly that they'd even want to use a mod wholesale as a quest.

I think you missed the point I was trying to make--which is that, to call this plagiarism, you have to basically ignore the fact that there is zero motivation for Bethesda to willfully and intentionally do so.

duckroll

I think you missed the point I was trying to make--which is that, to call this plagiarism, you have to basically ignore the fact that there is zero motivation for Bethesda to willfully and intentionally do so.

Bethesda is not a person though. A game is developed in parts by a large team of people who individually contribute to various aspects of it. This is a single questline in a larger story DLC. I think it is entirely plausible that one or more people involved in coming up with this particular questline for this DLC might have played the mod in question and took inspiration from it, maybe a little too closely, and without disclosing it to others. It could be innocuous inspiration which didn't feel like plagiarism, or it could be willful intent because of laziness or lack of their own original idea. We won't know, but it's not really unbelievable...

GECK

This seems so stupid.
They could've shot the guy a mail, asked if it was okay, he'd have said YES and bragged about it, and have included a special thanks credit, and maybe even get some feelgood coverage from the media.

Instead, a shitstorm.

Doubtful it goes that far up, as Bethesda's QA is notoriously quite shit.

The lead designer of the quest probably played the mod, liked/plagiarized it and was dumb enough to think no one would notice.

In the end, this guy probably gets laid off down the line. But there is no way Bethsoft is going to do anything buy deny/ignore this.

Aaron

Of course there's motivation. Same as game artists tracing art on the Internet. It's easier to copy than it is to create. Even with all the work of rebuilding the quest for F4, it's much easier to do that than to make it entirely from scratch. These are people on a deadline. They have to produce content to meet the preset rollout date, and maybe an original idea just didn't come to them in time.

pa22word

People using the word steal is odd. Bethesda tells you they own everything in their ecosystem. Modding in their world is a bit like open source and they own the end result.
They could put a clause in their eula for their next game that by playing their game they own my penis in perpetuity, doesn't much mean they could come down to my house and tear my dick off any time they want.

Idk how many times people have to say Eula's aren't legally binding documents before people actually "get it" that just because a corporation tells you something in a bunch of arbitrary legalese doesn't make it so.

Bluth54

It's entirely possible that only a single person used the mod as an influence and didn't inform anyone else on the team about it. It's easier for me to think of Bethesda as slightly negligent and a bit careless as opposed to a team of competent villains that carry out complicated conspiracies with low payoffs. If anything, the state of their games should point to the former option being far more likely.

The problem is that even if Bethesda realizes one of its employees fucked up, I don't think they can admit to it or remedy it somehow without setting an unfavorable precedent if further coincidences happen in the future ("intentionally" or not). "Fuck you we own you" might end up being the only response they can reasonably take with this.

Yeah this is the most likely explanation.

Arulan

This is rather pathetic for Bethesda.

I continue to be impressed by how low the developer of The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind has fallen. From the subsequent Elder Scrolls games, to two creatively bankrupt Fallout games. How did they go from one of the shining examples of world-building to where they are today?

Omadahl

Banned
I'm not surprised. I tried playing Fallout 4 for a second time yesterday and just ended up making One Punch Man in mods instead. There's just zero appeal left.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Lmfaooo the funniest part of all of this is that as soon as I found the quest I told one of my friends "dude go do the hotel in far harbor there is this insanely unique questline involving the robo brains that is leagues above anything else in this"

Reebot

They could put a clause in their eula for their next game that by playing their game they own my penis in perpetuity, doesn't much mean they could come down to my house and tear my dick off any time they want.

Idk how many times people have to say Eula's aren't legally binding documents before people actually "get it" that just because a corporation tells you something in a bunch of arbitrary legalese doesn't make it so.

This is binding, though. Anyone competent in US contract law will tell you that.

Fury451

Banned
Wait, they are denying they did this!? Are you kidding me!?

Well, PR gonna PR. I'm sure saying "Yeah, it was a good concept so we jacked it. Suck it modders, we own you." wouldn't fly, despite that being a more accurate statement.

It's interesting how trying to spin PR always, always makes a company look worse.

If they did indeed lift the idea, they could do what Avalanche did with the guy who made the Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod- work with him or give him a job. Or at the very least, ask permission and credit him for his damn work.

On second thought, yeah, you're right, that does seem completely plausible. I wouldn't doubt that's what happened, but really they would be better off copping to it in a round about way and crediting the guy for the inspiration or story than trying to play it off as sheer coincidence, because either way the message being sent seems to be of the "F--- you we own you" variety.

Yukinari

Did Todd Howard and Notch ever hang out together? If they did they must have exchanged some good ideas on how to use the community to their advantage.

Massa

IANAL but the thing is that without Bethesda's consent a derivative work of Fallout isn't allowed to begin with.

Did Todd Howard and Notch ever hang out together? If they did they must have exchanged some good ideas on how to use the community to their advantage.

...what do Todd Howard and Notch have to do with anything here?

Yukinari

IANAL but the thing is that without Bethesda's consent a derivative work of Fallout isn't allowed to begin with.

...what do Todd Howard and Notch have to do with anything here?

Im just being cheeky cause Minecraft also used fan mods for its content.

grebby

Bethesda won't face any problems here. It's just hilariously embarrassing for them, they continue to make themselves look bad.

DiscoJer

Doubtful it goes that far up, as Bethesda's QA is notoriously quite shit.

The lead designer of the quest probably played the mod, liked/plagiarized it and was dumb enough to think no one would notice.

As someone who briefly did QA for Bethesda back in the Daggerfall days, I have to object. The problem wasn't the testing (which at least back then, were recruited from big fans of their games), but management who insisted games had to ship on a certain date and they used a triage method when it came to bugs.

Backlogger

Here's my hot take on this:

- It's not an asset or mechanical copy so much as a questline with a similar overall structure and story concept
- Entirely possibly that one or more persons on the quest design team played the mod, liked it, and tried to make a version of it
- Said people may or may not have disclosed this inspiration to anyone else in the team
- The idea of a murder mystery featuring robots set in a Vault is not really -that- uniquely odd to be considered a smoking gun in a setting like Fallout
- Whatever the EULA for the mod creation tools say is irrelevant because from an ethical standpoint if you're going to copy something you should give the original creator a heads up even if you are legally entitled to do so

So in the end, I think the only people who really know the truth will be the people who made this quest. If they can sleep well at night knowing they did nothing wrong, that's all good.

I agree with your first 3 bullet points and said something similar many pages back. Even if someone totally lifted the idea from the mod its possible they didn't tell their superiors about where they got their idea.

Better thing to have done is said "We don't believe anything was done wrong here but we will investigate internally..." etc, and if they find that an employee took the idea then come out later and give credit to the modder (and maybe fire the employee). Instead they are kind of coming off as defensive, which makes them seem guilty

Lanrutcon

Bethesda doesn't even have to grace to admit it when they're caught, or credit the Author in a game that probably has a credits list the size of a phone book.

Pathetic.

Klyka

Banned
Ok after going through all the pictures and posts, this is no mere coincidence.

Bethesda really just needs to say "We loved that quest and decided to make a homage to it!"

But I guess they aren't?

MMaRsu

Banned
Ok after going through all the pictures and posts, this is no mere coincidence.

Bethesda really just needs to say "We loved that quest and decided to make a homage to it!"

But I guess they aren't?

Haha why would they, this is hardly causing an uproar

eXistor

Is it bad that I have a hard time figuring out which screenshot is from F4 and which is from NV? Such unappealing games visually.

Sound like a Fallout version of the Dark Brotherhood quest "Whodunit?" That quest was a standout in Oblivion, and I'm not surprised that Bethesda would want to recapture it.

They ripped off this rip-off of some of their better work which is mostly just taken from Star Trek TNG episodes anyways.

On the legal side of things, Bethesda is 100% within their rights.

Acknowledging the creator while recreating their mod would have been perfectly acceptable, even if the mod creator got no other compesation.

But recreating a mod and passing it off as your own is morally and creatively bankrupt.

Top Bottom