• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pay now available in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
w4Fy2xh.jpg
Just made my first purchase in Pret. Tea, cheddar & pickle sandwich and fruit bowl.

Used my Apple Watch, super quick. Just double tap the button and bring the watch near the credit card machine. There was a moment of awkwardness when the guy couldn't figure out how I was intending to pay as I was holding nothing.

Apple Pay settings just showed up on my iPhone 6 Plus and iPad Air 2. My wife got her on her latest Mini, but nothing yet on her iPhone 5S.

Guardian said:
Apple Pay launches in the UK: here's how to use it
A new contactless payment system that lets people use their iPhones to tap-and-pay in high street shops has been launched in the UK. Apple Pay will let iPhone 6, 6 Plus and Apple Watch owners pay for items costing up to £20 by just touching their gadgets to a payment terminal, much like contactless credit cards.

The UK launch marks the first expansion of Apple’s contactless payment system beyond the US, where it rolled out last October. Contactless payments have become increasingly popular in the UK with major banks offering cards that can just be tapped to pay, eliminating the need to type in a pin.

Where can I use it?
A variety of banks, credit card companies and retailers have lined up to support Apple Pay. Most retailers that already accept contactless payments via credit and debit cards will support the new pay system.
Notable companies and services include Waitrose, Co-op, Lidl, Spar, Boots, Marks and Spencer, Post Office, BP, Costa Coffee, Starbucks, LePain Quotidien, Wagamama, Nandos, KFC, Pret A Manger, Subway, McDonald’s, the Trainline, Transport for London and Liberty.

For online payments the list includes Addison Lee, Argos, British Airways, Domino’s, easyJet, Hailo, hungryhouse, Just Eat, lastminute.com, Miss Selfridge, Ocado, Topshop and Zara.

When used to pay online, Apple Pay will operate similar to the way PayPal works on Samsung smartphones, using a fingerprint to authenticate payments without having to enter credit card details on supporting sites.

Is there a limit?
Most payments will be limited to the £20 cap that is currently in force for contactless payments using credit or debit cards. That limit will rise to £30 in September.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/14/apple-pay-launches-uk-how-to-use

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
We have had contactless cards for ages so this is almost completely useless.

Still waiting on Google Wallet, well, ANYWHERE but the USA. I can't believe how badly Google stalled on this, they lost the massive lead they had. Grats to Apple for working it out, hopefully lights a fire under the competitors' asses.

jts

...hate me...
No need to reach for the wallet.

Or even to bring your wallet on you (in certain situations - like say, going for a casual jog or walk).

I really don't see why people think it's better to just carry a dedicated piece of plastic for every single form of payment (or tickets) instead of dematerializing them and incorporating them into our daily devices. Because that's the future.

Yes, contactless cards are already nice. But it's possible to have it even better.

Ashes

Banned
Contactless is already available here in most places, so I think this will have less of an impact. In London at least.

A bit late to the market apple, but more choice is good.

Ashes

Banned

Or even to bring your wallet on you (in certain situations - like say, going for a casual jog or walk).

I really don't see why people think it's better to just carry a dedicated piece of plastic for every single form of payment (or tickets) instead of dematerializing them and incorporating them into our daily devices. Because that's the future.

Yes, contactless cards are already nice. But it's possible to have it even better.

It's a limited amount like contact less no? So you're gonna be carrying your primary bank card anyway.

jts

...hate me...
It's a limited amount like contact less no? So you're gonna be carrying your primary bank card anyway.

Sure, baby steps.

And there are also other issues like battery life.

But I really appreciate society slowly moving away from the old world tokens. This is regardless of brand, or whatever. These days I can even take a plane without carrying a single piece of paper, just my phone and ID, and I love it.

The smaller issues will be ironed out with time.

Enco

Instead of reaching for my wallet I'll reach for my phone and have to use my fingerprint.

Not brining your wallet isn't really a big benefit. Especially when you consider the downsides such as if you run out of battery or there's a limit on how much Apple pay can handle.

I don't see the point in Apple pay but it's pretty cool I guess.

Ashes

Banned
But I really appreciate society slowly moving away from the old world tokens. This is regardless of brand, or whatever. These days I can even take a plane without carrying a single piece of paper, just my phone and ID, and I love it.

Got to admit that is cool.

But I fear cashless societies will affect the poorest. You will need to have a running phone to function in society.
The homeless will probably suffer even more no?

Volotaire

A bit pointless for me to use Apple Pay or Google Wallet (I know this article does not mention the latter) since I use contactless card.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Just set it up on my watch and phone. I'm going to try this at Greggs at lunchtime. Did you need to do anything else on your first watch purchase other than double tap the side button?

Polk

Privacy and security advantages. Your card details are never transmitted or seen by the merchant, it can't be used without your fingerprint, etc.
Scaning range is less than 5cm and you never let card from your hands.
And even then all they can scan is cc number (without PIN/CVC of course) and list of latest offline transactions.
If you are that paranoid use RFID blocking wallet or have two cards in the wallet.

Ninja Dom

Yup, just set up my Santander Debit Card on my iPhone 6 and Apple Watch.

Reminder: it's two separate processes for setting up the same card on an iPhone & Apple Watch. Apple Watch does not automatically get the card set up simply because the host iPhone has it set up.

My first test is gonna be in the pub tomorrow!! 😊😊

numble

Scaning range is less than 5cm and you never let card from your hands.
And even then all they can scan is cc number (without PIN/CVC of course) and list of latest offline transactions.
If you are that paranoid use RFID blocking wallet or have two cards in the wallet.

He is talking about CC number being revealed to the merchant that you scan your card at.

giga

Most payments will be limited to the £20 cap that is currently in force for contactless payments using credit or debit cards. That limit will rise to £30 in September.
Guessing this is a UK regulation? How absurd.

Kuros

Is scamming such an issue here in the UK? I've been using cards for 15 years and never once had an issue with scamming.

I had a card cloned in London and 300 quid stolen 2 years ago in an ATM.

It wasn't a chip card though.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
I still don't understand why I would justify paying a £300+ iwatch to pay for my shopping than to just grab my contactless card and pay the same way for free

Well obviously you're not going to buy an iPhone and Apple Watch JUST to pay for shopping, that would be insane. It's just an added benefit if you do have them.

The £20 restriction was implemented as a safeguard if your card got stolen, so it's just limited to small everyday purchases, if you go over that, it's chip and pin.

Cyport

Well HSBC were supposed to launch today but at last minute they changed it to the end of July. I don't even have a contactless card so I was looking forward to try it with Apple Pay.

Well obviously you're not going to buy an iPhone and iWatch JUST to pay for shopping, that would be insane. It's just an added benefit if you do have them.

I don't know, there must be SOME people who think this way but no doubt paying for something on a device other than using a card is not for me when shopping in my highstreet

Aegus

I had a card cloned in London and 300 quid stolen 2 years ago in an ATM.

It wasn't a chip card though.

Ah. I think all my cards have been chip and pin. I also live up in Aberdeen so maybe there's less chance of scummy scammers up here.

Ninja Dom

I still don't understand why I would justify paying a £300+ iwatch to pay for my shopping than to just grab my contactless card and pay the same way for free

Because the Apple Watch does a lot more than that. And there are plenty of other watches that cost that (and more) which can't pay for shopping.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom