• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pay now available in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Apparently there are some problems with the bank verification end of things though.
but that isn't Apple's fault, rather banks with poor controls in place to prevent social hacking. The required info at my bank to put my card on my watch (my phone just let me do it through the bank's wallet app) was literally the same info needed to get any info on my account. So bank's that don't have good anti-social hack controls in place will be open to this sort of thing.

RedShift

Looking forward to using this just because it will save me a couple of seconds just getting my phone out rather than getting my wallet out then extracting the contactless card.

Plus it should be easier to track my purchases in YNAB. It looks like you can immediately see your purchase history, unlike Natwest's statements in the app which take forever to update.

Will hit up Pret tomorrow. Do you just hold the phone against the reader without unlocking it and use Touch ID?

Ninja Dom

Any Santander users who've set up Apple Pay?

I was advised to download the Spendlytics app which is the app I'm presuming tracks my purchases. Has anybody got this app and does it work? I haven't used Apple Pay yet so that's why I'm guessing that I just get an error when I look at it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's why I love Apple Pay. Convenient sure (versus digging thru my wallet for which card I want to use), but mostly for security. They knocked it out of the park with this, which the anti-Apple crowd can't fucking stand to admit.

As has been pointed out many times in this thread, Apple Pay is more secure as it doesn't store your name/card number with the merchant.

Alternatively, people aren't flipping cartwheels because contactless fraud is very low in the UK so perhaps the 'we don't store your card data' that Apple keep pushing isn't really that critical? Is that a real problem in the US? Maybe moving to more secure chip+pin and contactless cards would have helped anyway, and Apple are simply capitalising on that in the US

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Alternatively, people aren't flipping cartwheels because contactless fraud is very low in the UK so perhaps the 'we don't store your card data' that Apple keep pushing isn't really that critical? Is that a real problem in the US? Maybe moving to more secure chip+pin and contactless cards would have helped anyway, and Apple are simply capitalising on that in the US

it's more a knock against Google, whose wallet stores both your financial data and your transaction data. Not really a knock against chip+pin cards.

edit - and also online apps. Remember that Apple Pay works inside of iOS apps as well. So I can pay for my uber with apple pay, at which point uber never gets any actual valid payment data from me except for the one time transaction. Otherwise you have to keep a card attached to your uber account, at which anytime uber gets hacked, your payment data is there for the taking.

No one is saying people should be "flipping cartwheels", but to say it's "pointless" and the same as using your "contactless card" is clearly incorrect.

cakefoo

Apple Watch is the best way to checkout, hands-down, pun intended. I just wish more stores would get off their stubborn asses and support wireless payments.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
No one is saying people should be "flipping cartwheels", but to say it's "pointless" and the same as using your "contactless card" is clearly incorrect.

Well 'knocked it out of the park' seemed equally hyperbolic.

Shall we settle on something like 'seems like an excellent and secure alternative to card payments in the US, and in countries with existing contactless infrastructure it can be useful to have an alternative which suits some peoples lifestyles'

Google do need a kick up the arse though. They've had wallet for ages, is still only US and nowhere near as convenient as it needs to be.

I like the idea of contactless, but I still find myself using chip and pin as you see the amount come away from your available balance straight away with the bank, but I find it takes a couple of days for those transactions to come out on contactless (I hate not knowing exactly how much I have).

I've set it up on my phone anyway, and will give it a try soon to see how well it works on my iPhone 6. Contactless is pretty much everywhere in/around London now. Could be handy if I forget my wallet.

No way will I use it on the tube though, don't want an angry mob behind me whilst I'm trying to get the thing to work if the phone doesn't recognize my fingerprint at the barriers at rush hour.

DrSlek

Google Wallet/Pay might be nice when it gets here, but I can't see myself using it. I just can't imagine myself fiddling with my phone and opening an app to make a payment, when simply grabbing my card from my wallet and waving it over the scanner seems like it would be faster.

railGUN

Banned
Google Wallet/Pay might be nice when it gets here, but I can't see myself using it. I just can't imagine myself fiddling with my phone and opening an app to make a payment, when simply grabbing my card from my wallet and waving it over the scanner seems like it would be faster.

You don't have to open an app with Apple Pay. Not sure about Google Wallet, though.

Edit: looks as though you don't have to open an app for Google Wallet either.

DOWN

Banned
Well 'knocked it out of the park' seemed equally hyperbolic.

Shall we settle on something like 'seems like an excellent and secure alternative to card payments in the US, and in countries with existing contactless infrastructure it can be useful to have an alternative which suits some peoples lifestyles'

Google do need a kick up the arse though. They've had wallet for ages, is still only US and nowhere near as convenient as it needs to be.
Apple Pay is the biggest movement in how people pay and care about their data in ages. Sure, it's less notable to the UK in terms of contact less, but as the biggest success yet in moving beyond cards and securing data privately, Apple has done something very right and there's no reason to pretend they aren't paving the way for how people want the next standard of payments to work. It's private and it's convenient. It's a big deal.

Barclaycard must feel stupid and embarrassed of their bPay initiative. Obsolete within a month (it launched June 2015). Who is going to pay £15 for a contactless sticker on their phone when Apple Pay is free? 😂

Oh is this why Barclays haven't allowed Apple Pay yet? ugh, ridiculous.

DrSlek

You don't have to open an app with Apple Pay. Not sure about Google Wallet, though.

Edit: looks as though you don't have to open an app for Google Wallet either.

In videos I've seen there seems to be some kind of payment confirmation required on the phone itself. That's not part of the apps?

railGUN

Banned
In videos I've seen there seems to be some kind of payment confirmation required on the phone itself. That's not part of the apps?

Not for Apple Pay, as per their website:

One touch to pay with Touch ID. Now paying in stores happens in one natural motion — there’s no need to open an app or even wake your display thanks to the innovative Near Field Communication antenna in iPhone 6. To pay, just hold your iPhone near the contactless reader with your finger on Touch ID. You don’t even have to look at the screen to know your payment information was successfully sent. A subtle vibration and beep let you know.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
LKKtKct.gif

W9tmO7f.gif

UQK4Mf5.gif

You don't have to open any apps, just have your thumb on the the TouchID sensor for authentication and hold it to the terminal. The watch is authenticated if it is unlocked and attached to yourself, if it's removed it locks.

Ninja Dom

A few people using Apple Pay on Oyster card readers on the tube this morning. Also, every London Underground station (270 of them) has been issued with Apple Pay posters and have to display them.

LKKtKct.gif

W9tmO7f.gif

UQK4Mf5.gif

You don't have to open any apps, just have your thumb on the the TouchID sensor for authentication and hold it to the terminal. The watch is authenticated if it is unlocked and attached to yourself, if it's removed it locks.

What's with that absolutely massive 80s looking terminal in the first gif?!

Sorry for the tangent, but this always strikes me as weird...

When I was little, in the 80s and early 90s, the USA seemed so far ahead, everything cool happened there and they got everything first.

It's like they just stopped and stood still somewhere around 1995 and Europe went full pelt ahead and overtook, leaving them in the dust.
I'm always still really surprised when I go there that they don't have loads of stuff we take for granted.

They also don't seem to realise that it's any different elsewhere or that they're so behind.

Nevasleep

A few people using Apple Pay on Oyster card readers on the tube this morning. Also, every London Underground station (270 of them) has been issued with Apple Pay posters and have to display them.
Was expecting one of comedy/sarcasm handwritten notices below.

DOWN

Banned
What's with that absolutely massive 80s looking terminal in the first gif?!

Sorry for the tangent, but this always strikes me as weird...

When I was little, in the 80s and early 90s, the USA seemed so far ahead, everything cool happened there and they got everything first.

It's like they just stopped and stood still somewhere around 1995 and Europe went full pelt ahead and overtook, leaving them in the dust.
I'm always still really surprised when I go there that they don't have loads of stuff we take for granted.

They also don't seem to realise that it's any different elsewhere or that they're so behind.

You're saying this in a thread about a new payment standard that has been in the US for many months made by the world's most successful company, a US company lol

Yes, McDonald's and their tens of thousands of restaurants are slower to upgrade, but their system works for drive through for now.

You're saying this in a thread about a new payment standard that has been in the US for many months made by the world's most successful company, a US company lol

Yes, McDonald's and their tens of thousands of restaurants are slower to upgrade, but their system works for drive through for now.

That's already been superseded another less convoluted, easier to use and already widespread and secure enough (by all accounts it is technically more secure, but it's negligible and not something that's a huge issue here) technology.

It's like when they released the original iPhone with no 3G when 3G had been widespread in Europe for years already then.

I think generally things will catch up, so stuff is mostly at the same level in all the developed countries - but at the moment the US seems to have fallen behind in a lot of consumer technology and stuff. Last time I visited the US a few years back there were people in a Walmart looking at the self service tills like they'd been dropped from space or something...

Ninja Dom

Nice! I'm in the pub right now and I've bought 2 pints of Stella using my Watch. Simplest thing ever. Worked straight away, first time, no problems.

The bartender had never seen it before, he doesn't know what Apple Pay is. Just believes my contactless card is somehow loaded onto my watch.

He was also saying that 1 in 40 contactless transactions are deliberately denied so the customer is forced to type in the pin. Some sort of security measure. I wonder how that will affect Apple Pay users who don't have their cards on them.

xsarien

daedsiluap
Just stop making up shit for the love of fucking god. You don't know what you are talking about and literally are making up shit as you go.

It took way too long for someone to say this.

Anyway, Apple Pay is probably one of the most secure payment methods to come along in awhile. I use it without hesitation in NYC cabs and, to be honest, the only thing in this thread that's *really* annoying me is that apparently Pret in the UK has NFC terminals! The ones here still just swipe my damned card.

Like I'm a fucking caveman.

Ninja Dom

Alright, I've used Apple Pay with 3 different retailers using both Watch & iPhone.

Watch is far more convenient. Double-click the side button, hold the Watch next to the terminal and done. Worked first time, 100% of the time.

But the bad thing with Watch is that the Passbook app on the Watch doesn't list your purchases after you've used the Watch for Apple Pay. That's a good thing with using Apple Pay on the iPhone, Passbook app on the iPhone lists all of your recent transactions.

Chittagong

Gold Member
PLZ1Nli.jpg

Loving Apple Pay so far. Have paid all my pints this week with my Apple Watch.

They just need to raise the cap, £20 is very low.

Dazzla

I tried it in Waitrose yesterday, didn't work. Just kept saying hold next to reader yet it was right against the screen. Tried twice before I gave up and used my card.

Wouldn't surprise me if it's something to do with the iOS 9 PB

I might actually have just been converted...

I've just used this for the first time -http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/fill-up-and-go/how-it-works.html

Basically, (after registering and linking to your PayPal account) you pull up at the pump, scan a QR Code on the pump with your phone - it then tells you to fill up, you fill up, then just drive off.

It felt like stealing petrol, it was actually brilliant. I can now see the appeal of Apple Pay.
Although I'm waiting for Google to get their act together because I'm not an iPhone person.

ReAxion

I might actually have just been converted...

I've just used this for the first time -http://www.shell.co.uk/motorist/shell-fuels/fill-up-and-go/how-it-works.html

Basically, (after registering and linking to your PayPal account) you pull up at the pump, scan a QR Code on the pump with your phone - it then tells you to fill up, you fill up, then just drive off.

It felt like stealing petrol, it was actually brilliant. I can now see the appeal of Apple Pay.
Although I'm waiting for Google to get their act together because I'm not an iPhone person.

That's like a worse version of CurrenC.

I think I'd probably laugh if I saw someone whip out a 6 Plus or Apple Watch to pay for something. Even though it probably is the future, it just looks ridiculous with those devices.

That's like a worse version of CurrenC.

Never heard of that. But this works really well.
I was kind of thinking it wouldn't or it would be awkward scanning the thing. But it picked it up just pointing it in the general direction.

QR codes are kind of old hat now, but it kind of fits with this. I think the idea is that your do it through the window before you get out. It's pretty instant activating the pump.

So nice not to have to talk to the weird peppy over happy bloke to pay, or be offered 5 bars of chocolate for £2 or whatever.

You tend to have your phone out on the seat or whatever, so it makes sense and is easy. I can see how it would be the same in a pub or coffee shop with Apple pay, etc.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I think I'd probably laugh if I saw someone whip out a 6 Plus or Apple Watch to pay for something. Even though it probably is the future, it just looks ridiculous with those devices.
Can you imagine if you'd see one of those guys taking their wallets and pulling out a plastic thing to pay with instead of cold hard earned cash? Lol. Kids.

-- 1960 called

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom