• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Pay now available in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReAxion

Never heard of that. But this works really well.
I was kind of thinking it wouldn't or it would be awkward scanning the thing. But it picked it up just pointing it in the general direction.

QR codes are kind of old hat now, but it kind of fits with this. I think the idea is that your do it through the window before you get out. It's pretty instant activating the pump.

So nice not to have to talk to the weird peppy over happy bloke to pay, or be offered 5 bars of chocolate for £2 or whatever.

You tend to have your phone out on the seat or whatever, so it makes sense and is easy. I can see how it would be the same in a pub or coffee shop with Apple pay, etc.

CurrenC is the thing wal-mart & others are going to push instead of just accepting Apple Pay.
And I'm glad that worked for you, but Apple Pay beats it in a couple of ways.
You don't have to register per vendor; just add your card to Apple Pay and you're set wherever it's accepted.
You don't have to unlock your phone, open an app, or scan anything.
You just aim your phone at the thing with your finger/thumb resting on the TouchID and it's done.
If Google Wallet can duplicate Apple Pay then it'll be better in the same ways.

As long as people don't start trying to pay with iPads then I'm OK with it.
I don't imagine them going in that direction because the devices are different use cases and they understand that.

Can you imagine if you'd see one of those guys taking their wallets and pulling out a plastic thing to pay with instead of cold hard earned cash? Lol. Kids.

-- 1960 called

That's a shit example, don't try and be a smartass. As I clearly said, using phones/watches is probably the future but that doesn't make using an ugly/bloated watch and a phablet better than or more convienent than using a thin plastic card.

It looks as ridiculous as whipping out iPads for photos but I guess that's the future too?

cjp

That's a shit example, don't try and be a smartass. As I clearly said, using phones/watches is probably the future but that doesn't make using an ugly/bloated watch and a phablet better than or more convienent than using a thin plastic card.

It looks as ridiculous as whipping out iPads for photos but I guess that's the future too?

Why is holding your wrist next to a terminal more ridiculous than digging your wallet out of your pocket and your card out of your wallet?

giga

I can assure you that taking out my credit card from my wallet in my back pocket is much more cumbersome than taking out my phone from my front pocket.

iMax

It's not.

That ugly looking watch is.

southpark_tearlick.gif

Koppai

They just now atarted issuing debit and credit cards with the chip in them in the US. Wonder why it has taken ao long. I got a new debit card and discover sent me a new card recently.

ReAxion

They just now atarted issuing debit and credit cards with the chip in them in the US. Wonder why it has taken ao long. I got a new debit card and discover sent me a new card recently.

Me too. It was weird when they just showed up one day.

CurrenC is the thing wal-mart & others are going to push instead of just accepting Apple Pay.
And I'm glad that worked for you, but Apple Pay beats it in a couple of ways.
You don't have to register per vendor; just add your card to Apple Pay and you're set wherever it's accepted.
You don't have to unlock your phone, open an app, or scan anything.
You just aim your phone at the thing with your finger/thumb resting on the TouchID and it's done.
If Google Wallet can duplicate Apple Pay then it'll be better in the same ways.

I don't imagine them going in that direction because the devices are different use cases and they understand that.

Ah yeah, I'm just taking about this as a single solution for one thing - I meant it's made me realise that Apple Pay and the whole phone paying thing, in the right situation, is actually worth it. I'm still not sure I'd pay for my weekly shop with an Apple Pay type system, but for things where you have your phone out anyway it's cool. I'm not such a hater of it anymore.

With the pay at pump systems you have to put your card and PIN in first for it to pre-authorise to make sure you have the money - with this, there didn't seem to be any of that, just scan the thing and fill up.

One thing that I see might get annoying is having different transactions on different statements, I like having everything in one place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom