• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

dallow_bg

nods at old men
everyone waiting for second gen - you do know you can easily just ebay your first gen when 2nd gen comes around and that one year of "pioneering" (urgh...) the AppleWatch won't have cost you more than a hundred bucks. I don't see how that would not be worth it.

Or they can save $100.
Who cares if they wait?

everyone waiting for second gen - you do know you can easily just ebay your first gen when 2nd gen comes around and that one year of "pioneering" (urgh...) the AppleWatch won't have cost you more than a hundred bucks. I don't see how that would not be worth it.

It may not just be about the money though, I can see people holding out until the experience is worthwhile. It's not like this is a device people really need.

Red

A lot of tech reviewers seem overly enthusiastic about smartwatches. Like they really want these things to happen and are especially generous reviewing them to spread excitement.

Steel + milanese loop looks beautiful and I can see myself wearing that just for the looks. It was wise of Apple to position this thing as a fashion accessory, because it really doesn't seem to add anything substantial as a gadget.

Market value isn't the same across all apple products.

God damn that battery life. I stress enough about my phone battery already, no chance in hell I'm going to charge TWO devices nightly. I'm out.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
After watching The Verge's video review... yeah, this product is a big no for me. At least in this first iteration. It will be interesting to see, after the first year, how people feel about it and if it catches on, especially after more apps start coming out. But glances, the fact it has to load so much from your phone (slowly), the whole UI they came up with... nothing is resonating with me.

I'm looking at him bring up that transit app and all I can think is... no, I'd rather just do that on my phone and it would probably be faster, too.

the transit one is odd. I'd actually expect it to be as slow on the phone because if it needs a GPS signal that isn't dependent on the watch at all. But if you use that app a lot, can't you allow it to get your location in the background so it is ready to use?

The Chef

After that Verdge review no freakin way am I buying this thing.

In the first of many moments where the watch felt underpowered, I found that the screen lit up a couple of ticks too slowly: I’d raise my wrist, wait a beat, and then the screen would turn on. This sounds like a minor quibble, but in the context of a watch you’re glancing at dozens of times a day, it’s quickly distracting.

This would drive me INSANE.

After that Verdge review no freakin way am I buying this thing.

This would drive me INSANE.

Yeah, that particular quote kills it.

I know that would really bother me if I am just looking at the time.

It seems like something Jobs wouldn't stand for.

Rootbeer

Banned
In the first of many moments where the watch felt underpowered, I found that the screen lit up a couple of ticks too slowly: I’d raise my wrist, wait a beat, and then the screen would turn on. This sounds like a minor quibble, but in the context of a watch you’re glancing at dozens of times a day, it’s quickly distracting.

Sounds like the sort of thing Steve Jobs would have seen and said "Nope, not good enough. Get it right."

Oh, well.

Sounds like the sort of thing Steve Jobs would have seen and said "Nope, not good enough. Get it right."

Oh, well.

"If you can't get the experience of lifting your arm to check the time fucking right, you're doing it fucking wrong. You're all fired!!!"

But why buy it now, if it's not a good product?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
"If you can't get the experience of lifting your arm to check the time fucking right, you're doing it fucking wrong. You're all fired!!!"

Actually, putting it like that is quite damning. It's failing the first objective of just being a watch.

Actually, putting it like that is quite damning. It's failing the first objective of just being a watch.

That's why I think Jobs wouldn't let the product ship without at least getting that right.

I still want to hear if this was a real problem across the board.

Fliesen

But you are assuming people are going to want an Apple watch in a year.

that's why i said "everyone waiting for the 2nd gen" ?

also, you can still sell it for 200-250$ a year from now, even if you don't get the 2nd gen model.

Or they can save $100.
Who cares if they wait?

Also i was just mentioning the option to people who forget that upgrading from gen 1 to gen 2 costs like 100$, 150$ tops. Apple product hold their market value really well - i don't see how this one would be any different.

But why buy it now, if it's not a good product?

where are you reading that it isn't a good product? most reviews boil down to "it's nice, but you don't need it, it's not a notification-handling game changer". It certainly doesn't live up to expectations anyone would have been having pre-announcement.
i am not telling people to buy one, but whoever said "welp, i'm waiting for gen 2":

* is / was clearly at least interested in owning an AppleWatch / Smartwatch eventually
* maybe wasn't entirely aware that test driving an Apple Product isn't as expensive as test driving other products because they hold their value extremely well

even before reviews we knew the strongest reason to buy any first gen device would be being along for the ride from the get-go. this goes for AndroidWear, as much as for smartphones, as it does for wearables or next gen consoles.

I don't see what's different about using my phone either. Is it just saving you the hand movement to your pocket?

You only need to authenticate once when you put it on your wrist so you don't need to use Touch ID every time you make a purchase. It'll be a slightly faster experience but not exactly ground breaking, unless you're using an iPhone 5 and don't already have Apple Pay.

Red

There is a sense of hubris surrounding the release of the Apple Watch. Apple has positioned it as a luxury fashion item, with a $17,000 max price and several-hundred-dollar AppleCare plan, it's featured in high-end retail stores, they've built their own showcases simply to display and sell this one item. Their entire retail staff is being outfitted with new uniforms to create a new brand image surrounding the watch. I was tentatively interested in it before. Knew I would wait for second or third gen but was curious about how well the first generation would perform. I was not expecting anything special but was partway hoping it would surprise me. Seeing videos of it in action confirmed my suspicions. While things may change in the interim between now and the next gen's release it appears to be a pretty foolish investment at this time. The actual performance and battery life of the device in the shadow of this manufactured hype makes me want to see it fail, if for no other reason than to cause Apple to double down on the substance of the experience and not release it out of the gates with full expectation of success.

You gotta admit, it makes the functionality of the Pebble look great by comparison.

I wonder if it will work as an Apple TV remote. That'd be neat.

They criticized the apple watch quite a bit in the review, unless you were just being sarcastic

It was my first glimpse of the layout. I read the review and it's definitely not an advertisement.

Actually, I really like the format of it for reviewing a smart watch.

There is a sense of hubris surrounding the release of the Apple Watch. Apple has positioned it as a luxury fashion item, with a $17,000 max price and several-hundred-dollar AppleCare plan, it's featured in high-end retail stores, they've built their own showcases simply to display and sell this one item. Their entire retail staff is being outfitted with new uniforms to create a new brand image surrounding the watch. I was tentatively interested in it before. Knew I would wait for second or third gen but was curious about how well the first generation would perform. I was not expecting anything special but was partway hoping it would surprise me. Seeing videos of it in action confirmed my suspicions. While things may change in the interim between now and the next gen's release it appears to be a pretty foolish investment at this time. The actual performance and battery life of the device in the shadow of this manufactured hype makes me want to see it fail, if for no other reason than to cause Apple to double down on the substance of the experience and not release it out of the gates with full expectation of success.

You gotta admit, it makes the functionality of the Pebble look great by comparison.

I am invested in the Pebble Time kickstarter but I still want to see a production model in action before making any real comparisons right now. The timeline interface has the potential to be great if it loads fast and works as advertised.

Ambient80

A lot of tech reviewers seem overly enthusiastic about smartwatches. Like they really want these things to happen and are especially generous reviewing them to spread excitement.

Steel + milanese loop looks beautiful and I can see myself wearing that just for the looks. It was wise of Apple to position this thing as a fashion accessory, because it really doesn't seem to add anything substantial as a gadget.

Your first point, absolutely 100% agree. Tech press seems downright determined to make this a huge new thing regardless of product quality.

Second point also agree I love the Milanese loop look, but I wouldn't pay for that band from Apple. Surely a third party will make one in similar looks and be a small fraction of the price.

Red

I am invested in the Pebble Time kickstarter but I still want to see a production model in action before making any real comparisons right now. The timeline interface has the potential to be great if it loads fast and works as advertised.

Sure, but even the ambition of the Pebble Time has impressed me more than the Apple Watch. I'm not going to make a call on how successful the Apple Watch will be, since despite any initial problems the brand carries a lot of weight and has had a true marketing blitz ahead of it compared to Pebble's efforts, but I want to see Apple fall for once, maybe just to see them scrapping it out with the underdogs. I want Pebble to become more popular, because they are leading the market right now. They have the best, most focused ideas on what a smartwatch should be.

“Do you want Mexican or Chinese for dinner?” will trigger useful smart replies, but if you mostly text with vague lolspeakers like me, you’re going to get a bunch of suggestions that make it seem like you’re pushing off real answers because you’re busy cheating on your wife.

I enjoyed that.

creepyemoticon-8f000b7a.gif

Again, the new emojis are fucking awful. I feel like I'm in a chat room in the 90s or something.

kaskade

I just quickly looked through this thread but I have to get ready for work where I'll look at the reviews. I just wonder how much of this responsiveness can be fixed with some software updates?

Fliesen

The new emojis are maybe the single most baffling thing to come out of this bizarre fever dream that is the Apple Watch.

the fact that they dedicated an entire hardware button to a function that seems mostly pointless to me is kind of baffling.

actively calling or texting someone from my wrist (not answering a call / replying) is the last thing i'd do. When replying your phone might be out of reach, sure.
But if i want to initiate a call or write a message, i'll just go get my phone (which needs to be nearby for it to work anyways)

how do the animated emojis look on the receiver's phone btw, or are they only Watch -> Watch like the heartbeat?

I just quickly looked through this thread but I have to get ready for work where I'll look at the reviews. I just wonder how much of this responsiveness can be fixed with some software updates?

the UI doesn't seem to be unresponsive per se, it just takes third party apps (those that run on your phone and just stream content to your watch) an annoying while to start up.

if you use an AppleTV, think of it like that. The device itself and anything you do on it natively runs mostly smooth, when you stream content over from your iPhone / iPad / MacBook, however, you get the spinning wheel for a few seconds.

It will be interesting to see:

* how much this handoff can be improved for non native apps
* how much better native apps will perform - but at what detriment to battery life

Fliesen

What happens with the new emojis when they are sent to somebody that doesn't have an Apple Watch?

same thing i've been wondering. Might just be a short, looping mp4 clip being sent? Don't think it's going to be a GIF.

Or the Watch might just not offer sending these abhorrent ICQ / MSN messenger era kinds of smileyfaces because it knows the other person doesn't own an AppleWatch.

number11

These reviews are making me think about just getting the standard sports model. Are there any video reviews with the sports watch?

Quick

Banned
Just watched The Verge's review and I'm definitely out. confirms my doubt that it's undercooked.

I might end up picking up next year's model or the year after that.

Arkanius

The reviews clearly show that this was a "Me too" from Apple, which they rarely do unless they are absolutely prepared.

I'm curious about Gen 2 though, I hope they make it circular. Moto 360 is finally getting a full 360x360 resolution (no flat tire) and that to me, is the perfect look and feel of a Smartwatch

The reviews clearly show that this was a "Me too" from Apple, which they rarely do unless they are absolutely prepared.

I'm curious about Gen 2 though, I hope they make it circular. Moto 360 is finally getting a full 360x360 resolution (no flat tire) and that to me, is the perfect look and feel of a Smartwatch

Was there any reason they didn't do that in the first place?

I don't see Apple changing the shape for the 2nd gen. Forcing everyone to buy new bands and developers to completely re-do their apps would be a crappy move.

I know the software is the same.. I'm talking visually. I'm just interested in seeing more examples of how the sports model looks on the wrist.

Unless you absolutely feel like you need to pre-order this right away and get the Watch on day one I'd go into a store and try it out before you buy it. I think this starts on Friday.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
who are you people complaining about battery life!?!?!

a) all of the reviews seem pretty uniform in saying that there is more than enough battery life for all day usage.. one saying they went from 5:xx am to 11:xx pm when it just hit "low power". Granted they were all 42mm.. but that's what I'm getting

b) "I don't want to worry about charging multiple devices nightly" What? I mean seriously, do you like go to sleep and then Batman uses your devices to patrol the streets at night? How hard is it to plug in 2 or even like 4 cables before going to bed? And it's not even JUST apple watch.. I mean I don't get people raving about phones having 42 or 60 hours of battery life. Does it really make your life better by not having to spend those 2 seconds at night plugging your phone in?

first world problems and all of that...

Top Bottom