• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Watch |OT| Apple invents the watch!

I'm gonna go fucking HAM on those nylon bands. Get a bunch and mix it up per-day

Super excited they launched before spring/summer

I think they're the best bands Apple has made yet. It's actually made me wear my Apple Watch on a regular basis again. It's nice to have a casual band that isn't rubber.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
The marine blue classic leather band is really great looking too. Probably my favorite dressier band they're making now. They've upgraded these classic leather bands yet again btw - now in the 3rd gen they have stitching all along the sides. 1st gen was plain, 2nd gen had the crevice along the sides, and the different color on the back side, now they've added the stitching that matches the leather color. Expensive though, so I didn't want to get it (yet...)

After paying way too much for the Milanese loop, there's no way I'm getting an Apple brand watchband again. Always going 3rd party.

The watch was a hit with my younger family during Easter gatherings. They are sold on the Fitbit stuff, which I really like, but a few wanted a watch afterwards.

Selling points were: notifications, calendar, and fitness tracking. My job just got busier and I love having the next meeting on the watch. Also love reading work email on it as not every email requires a response.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
After paying way too much for the Milanese loop, there's no way I'm getting an Apple brand watchband again. Always going 3rd party.
I have yet to find a 3rd party band that doesn't have some niggling flaw. The silicon band I got was a pretty faithful copy of the apple one, but it collected dust like crazy for some reason, and its sides were unfinished (and slightly sticking out of the watch. The leather band I tried also seemed nice in the photos, but was thick and sharp and somehow uncomfortable due to poorly trimmed edges, and the holes were also kind of slightly off center.

Milanese loop and leather bands do have an unfairly high prices - you can buy a whole nice looking Skagen watch with a milanese bracelet of equal quality for the same amount of money Apple sells the bracelet alone - but they are not that exorbitant. However, their link bracelet is just plain robbery.

I had a knockoff Milanese loop for a while. Ended up returning it because the magnet was unshielded so the wrong side would end up sticking to the metal, making it super annoying to get on

Official one is shielded, gonna just wind up getting that one

I guess I've been lucky as my silicone band and my leather loop are 3rd party and work and look great. Coming up with a good Milanese substitute might be tough, but I don't have to worry about that.

Bit out of the loop so what are some realistic expectations for the Apple Watch 2?
I was hoping Apple would unveil it during their event last week, but since that didn't happen I'm not sure to jump in or just wait.

aparisi2274

Anyone pick up the black nylon band for use with the 42mm Aluminum sport watch? Curious how it would look with the silver? I currently am using a black sport band with my watch and I love the contrast.

Ninja Dom

Is there really no way of viewing recent Apple Pay transactions made via the Watch like there is with the iPhone?

No there isn't as far as I know.

Use Apple Pay on iPhone and you get notifications and transactions. Use Apple Pay on Watch and the Wallet gives you nothing.

I think it's because Apple Pay exists separately on the Watch and the iPhone.

I wish there was an option to have the watch stay on when you glance at it, for like maybe 30 seconds. The slightest twitch of my wrist will sometimes turn off the display. Really hard when you're trying to get handoff to work with say your phone.

I got the watch kind of randomly. I never thought I would want it but I took advantage of Best Buy's sale. It turns out, it's one one of my favorite Apple devices now.

I saw someone with a case around the face of the Watch today. I get it, you want to keep the Watch in good condition, but I can't put a case on my Watch. The Watch can be a little distracting already and adding a case to it just makes the whole thing look ridiculous, in my opinion. My apologies to anyone who has one!

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I saw someone with a case around the face of the Watch today. I get it, you want to keep the Watch in good condition, but I can't put a case on my Watch. The Watch can be a little distracting already and adding a case to it just makes the whole thing look ridiculous, in my opinion. My apologies to anyone who has one!
I've seen quite a few of those around believe it or not.

My SS watch is covered in minute scratches but it looks very fresh still. The display is impressively scratch free though.

Ha, so it's my girlfriend's birthday today (just turned midnight) and I was responding to a text she sent me and the first pre-made message when I went to reply on my watch was "Happy Birthday!"

Good job, Watch

mrkgoo

Does anyone know the activity app actually stores data?

I'm under the assumption that the watch doesn't really store data - only records it for the day then adds it to your history on the phone.

I had a replacement recently and I restored from a backup, but the activity app wanted to be set up again i.e. It wanted my health data like weight and height again and set a new move goal. Was weird because it was working during the day but didn't ask until it rolled over midnight. Maybe because I changed the name of my watch orbit was first day. Just seemed to randomly forget my statistics.

Just curious if there is such a thing as history on the watch that may have reset as well. My history on the phone from my previous watch is still there.

Or maybe it's a quirk of having multiple watches in that it recognises different pairings now.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So I made and released my first Apple Watch app! I guess I can't say much of anything about it here, as that would be self-advertising, but it feels good to make something really useful, for a device that you like using. I could give out some download codes to people in this thread, through private messages - if even that is allowed?

So I made and released my first Apple Watch app! I guess I can't say much of anything about it here, as that would be self-advertising, but it feels good to make something really useful, for a device that you like using. I could give out some download codes to people in this thread, through private messages - if even that is allowed?

you can link to the app, don't think anyone would care.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
you can link to the app, don't think anyone would care.
Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. I'd probably have to contact some mods and ask first. Btw, before anyone PM's me, it's the app that lets you control your Nest thermostat from the watch. I made it primarily because I was sick and tired of waiting for Nest to make the watch app (figured they probably won't even do it now that Google owns them), and all the available 3rd party ones were kind of crap.

Hmm, I'm not too sure about that. I'd probably have to contact some mods and ask first. Btw, before anyone PM's me, it's the app that lets you control your Nest thermostat from the watch. I made it primarily because I was sick and tired of waiting for Nest to make the watch app (figured they probably won't even do it now that Google owns them), and all the available 3rd party ones were kind of crap.

fuck, that sounds amazing.
People post their iOS games in the iOS gaming thread all the time. it's not a big deal as long as you're clear it's yours.

mrkgoo

So I think I just bought an Apple Watch on ebay.

At least I've won the auction.

Yay?

Yay!

I personally like the watch. Is it essential? No. In fact, mine has needed repair so I've been without, and it has been fine. I miss being able to tell time quickly and a few other very minor inconveniences, but nothing essential.

So why yay? Because it's non-necessity is kind of a feature. Last thing I want is another device that is essential. Something I have to update every few years because I can't live without it.

It's an accessory that makes my phone handier to use. I love that about it.

SuperPac

Activity++ released today - really clean interface for your Activity data on the watch. The Glance is especially good and offers more info than Apple's at a quick look, and the iPhone app gives you a good overview and shows you your streaks. I haven't used the complication yet but I've heard good things.

Activity++ by Cross Forward Consulting, LLC
https://appsto.re/us/I-V8ab.i

Worth it IMO!

jts

...hate me...
Yay!

I personally like the watch. Is it essential? No. In fact, mine has needed repair so I've been without, and it has been fine. I miss being able to tell time quickly and a few other very minor inconveniences, but nothing essential.

So why yay? Because it's non-necessity is kind of a feature. Last thing I want is another device that is essential. Something I have to update every few years because I can't live without it.

It's an accessory that makes my phone handier to use. I love that about it.
It came out wrong, but I am excited about it. I was following several auctions to get a good deal, which was a requirement for me because of the second gen coming later this year (at least expected to).

But it's funny though. It was exactly one year ago this month that I went mad with hype to get one. I ordered it from Apple Germany to a mail forwarder, my order went back and forth from being cancelled by Apple, to the point I got phone calls from them to say my order had been restored. But the wait was long and eventually I cancelled it myself and waited for a local launch. Which took forever, and eventually the lukewarm reception of the Watch ended up throwing me off the hype train.

I was dead set on aiming for the 2nd gen but then it dawned on me that I want it for the Summer. Which I believe is the best season to enjoy it, especially its fitness features, that are most of the reason I want it for.

It is finally done though and I can't wait for next week!

Meanwhile, White predicts that the Apple Watch could be refreshed within the next two to three months. He believes that a 20% to 40% thinner Apple Watch 2 could be unveiled by June, possibly at Apple's annual WWDC, which could take place between June 13-17 based on scheduled availability at Moscone West, the San Francisco convention center where the developer event is typically held.

http://www.macrumors.com/2016/04/08/apple-watch-2-debut-wwdc-june-brian-white/

Would make sense if there's major changes to watchOS.

Have a feeling I can wait a second Apple Watch out. If you don't preorder, the demand won't be quite as high the 2nd time around, so the watches will likely be available, and then I can gauge by this thread and news articles whether developers are really supporting Apple Watch 2.

I have my doubts about that.

Anyway, making the watch thinner seems pretty dumb when one of the big problems is a lack of battery life for some people.

tmdorsey

Bruh, I have a Nest thermostat and this would be very useful! Can you send a pm my way?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OK, I've checked with one of the mods, and he told me that as long as I'm not too overt about it, I can post about my app. I think posting on page #138 of the Community forum topic is not being too overt :p

OK, so the app is called Thermo Watch, and it lets you control your Nest thermostat from your Apple Watch. It also doesn't completely suck, like the few other apps available for this purpose :p I wanted to make this, as I was tired of waiting for Nest to make an official one, and realized it may never happen considering that Google owns them.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thermo-watch-for-nest-thermostat/id1086717755?mt=8

POLPczJ.jpg
S2ybzA6.jpg
kuA0ZJR.jpg
pepXiED.jpg
zXCy8gR.jpg

it lets you adjust the temperature in the quickest way I could think of - right after you launch it (which you can do from the watch face, tapping on the complication) you spin the crown to adjust the temperature. If you're in the heat/cool mode, you tap on the dial you want to change, and then spin the crown. If you do force-touch, it lets you access features like changing the hvac mode, and also a voice control where you can speak out the temperature you want to set - even as a full sentence, no matter how goofy it is - as long as the sentence has a number spoken in it. As you can see in the screens, there are also complications (one of which looks like a mini thermostat) and a glance is available too.

The app has been reviewed and approved by Nest's QA department, and is featured on their website in the partnership program "Works With Nest": For what it's worth, they really seemed to like it :p
https://workswith.nest.com/company/marconelly/thermo-watch

I've been using the app for a while now - it's been very reliable, and I find it's really the quickest way to adjust the temperature - you can start adjusting literally the moment the app opens, even before it finishes the state syncing. I hope in using it, it comes through that I wanted to make something that won't just be useful, but feel truly native, responsive, and stable - and hopefully nearly indistinguishable in terms of quality in feel and operation from Apple's own apps bundled with the watch.

If any of the fellow Apple watch GAFfers have Nest and want this, send me a PM, and I'll give you a download code. Btw, I have absolutely no access to any of your login data or usage activity. The login page in the app is Nest's web page, and I don't track any kind of activity.

Moozo

Looking at maybe buying one of those.

Can anyone give some anecdotal evidence or point me in the direction of any articles or videos which talk about the speed of the thing/apps/loading times? That's the only thing making me apprehensive atm but for all the people saying it's slow, or not slow, I can't find any evidence or hard figures or examples to back it up.

Red

Can anyone give some anecdotal evidence or point me in the direction of any articles or videos which talk about the speed of the thing/apps/loading times? That's the only thing making me apprehensive atm but for all the people saying it's slow, or not slow, I can't find any evidence or hard figures or examples to back it up.
Basic functions and native apps are plenty quick. It's non-native apps that cause problems. Best to avoid them.

Blackhead

Redarse

It's slow. Third party apps, Native apps, Apple apps, whatever. It's slow.

Red

How do you figure? Most basic functions happen as soon as you swipe or press. Noozo, if you let me know what functions you want to see I can record and upload a video for you.

Moozo

This is what I'm talking about. People just say it's slow and don't qualify that in any way.

The caveat for me is that I can get it for significantly below RRP, so that's what's stopping me waiting for the next version.

Moozo

How do you figure? Most basic functions happen as soon as you swipe or press. Noozo, if you let me know what functions you want to see I can record and upload a video for you.
I'm just interested to know about third party apps really. Like, are they all consistently slow to load or just some, or are they slow to actually use, or are they poorly performing, and does it differ from app to app etc.?

And how many seconds constitutes "slow" for these things?

I'm mainly interested in the fitness side of things - would like to use it with Strava for example while cycling.

Blackhead

Redarse
This is what I'm talking about. People just say it's slow and don't qualify that in any way.

It's too slow. What other qualifier do you need? You want the exact second count to be convinced? It's slow enough to be noticeable and an impediment to usage.

AppleWatch: After the Buzz (PocketNow, Dec 2015)

Why slowness is killing the Apple Watch (SixColors Feb 2016)

etc

I'm just interested to know about third party apps really. Like, are they all consistently slow to load or just some, or are they slow to actually use, or are they poorly performing, and does it differ from app to app etc.?

I'm mainly interested in the fitness side of things - would like to use it with Strava for example while cycling.

The caveat for me is that I can get it for significantly below RRP, so that's what's stopping me waiting for the next version.

Well then just buy it and decide for yourself

Red

I'll try to do a short demo for you when I leave work.

Chittagong

Gold Member

They are always slow. You'll see a spinning disc for 2 sec at least, and even then stuff will redraw gradually with a poor fps. Only third party notifications are worth anything.

Shearie

For third party apps I usually use Bank of America, Wunderlist, PCalc, and Overcast and the only one of those that I think is annoyingly slow is Overcast, which makes sense since the developer of Overcast doesn't really care about his Watch app. While I would love apps to load everything instantaneously, the speed they're at right now isn't bad or else I would have returned the watch already.

aparisi2274

OK, I've checked with one of the mods, and he told me that as long as I'm not too overt about it, I can post about my app. I think posting on page #138 of the Community forum topic is not being too overt :p

OK, so the app is called Thermo Watch, and it lets you control your Nest thermostat from your Apple Watch. It also doesn't completely suck, like the few other apps available for this purpose :p I wanted to make this, as I was tired of waiting for Nest to make an official one, and realized it may never happen considering that Google owns them.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/thermo-watch-for-nest-thermostat/id1086717755?mt=8

POLPczJ.jpg
S2ybzA6.jpg
kuA0ZJR.jpg
pepXiED.jpg
zXCy8gR.jpg

it lets you adjust the temperature in the quickest way I could think of - right after you launch it (which you can do from the watch face, tapping on the complication) you spin the crown to adjust the temperature. If you're in the heat/cool mode, you tap on the dial you want to change, and then spin the crown. If you do force-touch, it lets you access features like changing the hvac mode, and also a voice control where you can speak out the temperature you want to set - even as a full sentence, no matter how goofy it is - as long as the sentence has a number spoken in it. As you can see in the screens, there are also complications (one of which looks like a mini thermostat) and a glance is available too.

The app has been reviewed and approved by Nest's QA department, and is featured on their website in the partnership program "Works With Nest": For what it's worth, they really seemed to like it :p
https://workswith.nest.com/company/marconelly/thermo-watch

I've been using the app for a while now - it's been very reliable, and I find it's really the quickest way to adjust the temperature - you can start adjusting literally the moment the app opens, even before it finishes the state syncing. I hope in using it, it comes through that I wanted to make something that won't just be useful, but feel truly native, responsive, and stable - and hopefully nearly indistinguishable in terms of quality in feel and operation from Apple's own apps bundled with the watch.

If any of the fellow Apple watch GAFfers have Nest and want this, send me a PM, and I'll give you a download code. Btw, I have absolutely no access to any of your login data or usage activity. The login page in the app is Nest's web page, and I don't track any kind of activity.

I just picked up a nest, do you think you can PM me a code? I was scouring the appstore looking for something that would allow me to control the nest with my watch, and your app looks great.

Thanks

Top Bottom