• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AppleTV won't get Amazon Video until Apple agrees to 'acceptable business terms"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

Apple TV won't get Amazon Prime Video until Apple agrees to 'acceptable business terms'

17062-14236-14811-10645-151102-Apple_TV-l-l.jpg

Speaking at Re/code's Code Conference on Tuesday, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos suggested Prime Video will remain off devices made by Apple — or any other company marketing comparable set-top streaming products — until amicable money models are agreed upon.

"[Y]ou can always get the video player on the device," Bezos told The Verge, adding that getting "acceptable business terms" is another story. When asked whether Apple's customary 30 percent take of all App Store purchases is a factor in negotiations, Bezos said that "private business decisions should stay private."

Amazon Prime customers have long clamored for an official Apple TV app to watch videos on the big screen. Hopes were lifted in November when an Amazon customer service representative said development of an Instant Video app for tvOS was already well underway. While the app has yet to launch, it is more than likely that Amazon has indeed prepared for such inevitabilities. Only Bezos is unwilling to open that door.

Amazon debuted its own streaming solution in the Fire TV in early 2014, followed by a Google Chromecast competitor called Fire TV Stick a few months later.

This seems to be an issue with Amazon, not Apple. If I already have Prime, I could download a video streaming app from Amazon and that doesn't have any financial transaction with Apple.

Mindwipe

Bezos is going to have to explain to me what the blocker is here with the Chromecast.

You don't even need Google's permission. There are no terms.

DOWN

Banned
It's an iTunes competitor through and through so not sure why they would allow it. They don't have Vudu either.

stufte

Haven't had my Apple TV plugged in for over a year since I got a Roku. And it has Amazon Video. And everything else I use. Eff Apple TV.

Dalek

It's an iTunes competitor through and through so not sure why they would allow it. They don't have Vudu either.

They have Netflix, HBO NOW and other streaming video apps that are "iTunes competitors", so that isn't a reason.

Viewt

I really wish they'd get it settled, because not being able to use Amazon Video is the one thing stopping me from getting an AppleTV. I want one machine that features all of my subscriptions:

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Right now my PS4 can do the latter three, but not HBO Go (stupid Comcast blocking it). I'm not gonna get an AppleTV just to have to switch to a different machine for Amazon. Ironically, if I had a PS3, I'd be all set. So dumb.

jelly

Do App stores take 30% of streaming subs, count as an in app purchase?

What terms does Amazon require on their stores?

GuyKazama

Switched to Roku since Apple TV didn't have Amazon or Vudu, and PS4 was missing HBO Now. No plans to go back.

I really wish they'd get it settled, because not being able to use Amazon Video is the one thing stopping me from getting an AppleTV. I want one machine that features all of my subscriptions:

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

This .....

icespide

Banned

it kind of doesn't matter, amazon could limit the app to streaming only and force you to do all of your purchases/subscriptions on amazon.com (this is what the iPhone and iPad apps do)
You can't buy content directly through the apps on those devices because of Apple's 30% rule.

Maybe part of the reason? I know I would love for them to release an official app as I love my Apple TV.

can they not do this on apple tv?

SMattera

They have Netflix, HBO NOW and other streaming video apps that are "iTunes competitors", so that isn't a reason.

In a vague sense, sure. But HBO NOW and Netflix don't let you buy/rent movies. They just give you access to a rotating catalog of content.

SMattera

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Right now my PS4 can do the latter three, but not HBO Go (stupid Comcast blocking it). I'm not gonna get an AppleTV just to have to switch to a different machine for Amazon. Ironically, if I had a PS3, I'd be all set. So dumb.

I'm pretty sure Comcast blocks the PS3 as well.

Why don't you just get a roku?

Cheebo

Banned

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Roku?

x-Lundz-x

it kind of doesn't matter, amazon could limit the app to streaming only and force you to do all of your purchases/subscriptions on amazon.com (this is what the iPhone and iPad apps do)

can they not do this on apple tv?

Sure they could... I know I would rather just bring up the app on my PS4 or Xbox1 because I can get the content directly without having to go to Amazons website.

icespide

Banned
Sure they could... I know I would rather just bring up the app on my PS4 or Xbox1 because I can get the content directly without having to go to Amazons website.

I understand it's not the most intuitive, but it would at least satisfy customers that just want to enjoy prime streaming on their apple tv

AndyD

aka andydumi
This seems to be an issue with Amazon, not Apple. If I already have Prime, I could download a video streaming app from Amazon and that doesn't have any financial transaction with Apple.
I don't think they have separate apps for the free catalog and purchase catalog. So you could make some purchases in there.

Vyer

I don't know why you'd assume that, given that Amazon Video is on everything else you can hook up to your television.

no it's not.

EDIT: In fact, and I don't know why this isn't in the OP, but Re/Code claims Bezos was including Chromecast in his comments:

Back in October, Amazon made a bold move. It booted two products — the Apple TV and Google Chromecast streaming devices — that compete with Amazon's streaming device from its online store.

Asked why, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos wouldn't answer directly. “Private business discussions should stay private," he said at the Code Conference on Tuesday evening.

But he offered a hint, suggesting that Google and Apple were demanding terms that the e-retail giant refused to swallow.

“[W]hen we sell those devices, we want our player — our Prime Video player — to be on the device, and we want it to be on the device with acceptable business terms," he said. "You can always get the player on the device. The question is, can you get it on there with acceptable business terms?"

Bezos claimed he didn't know whether Amazon sells the Apple TV streaming device. It doesn't.

icespide

Banned
iPhones and iPads are a huge market that amazon can't ignore, so they made an instant video app for those, albeit without purchase capability.

Apple TV is not as big so amazon doesn't feel compelled to immediately provide an app for this. They're using this as a chance to try and make Apple feel the pain a bit for their 30% cut rule in the app store.

that's pretty much it

linkboy

I don't know why you'd assume that, given that Amazon Video is on everything else you can hook up to your television.

It's not on Android Tv devices (Nexus Player and Nvidia Shield). Amazon even went as far as to block the sideboard apk from Sony Smart TV's from working.

Hell, you can't even use it with a chromecast (both the Nexus Player and Shield are chromecast compatible, do that might be a reason why they don't support chromecast).

Here's what it comes down to, Amazon wants to sell you a FireTV, which is why they're being stingy with their video service.

Zaph

30% of all in-app purchases (unless you're buying physical goods).

This wouldn't be so bad for Amazon if it was just about Amazon Prime streaming (like a lot of other services, they could not allow new subscriptions through the app), however Amazon uses their streaming service to aggressively sell VODs - on the FireTV devices it's impossible to filter out only the free streaming content. So without allowing VOD purchases, there's no real desire for Amazon to be on those platforms.

The reason there are Amazon iPhone/Android apps with stream-only abilities (LoveFilm) is because those platforms are here to stay so Amazon must have a presence. Nobody has really 'won' the Living Room war yet (and it's one of the few places Amazon's hardware actually competes) - so Bezos is holding out for a better deal (like the ones that will have to happen if those Apple/network tv talks ever progress further).

The lack of Amazon app hasn't really been an issue for me. But then again I'm not really into any of the Amazon exclusives.

-griffy-

Banned
Still think it's kind of petty that Amazon won't even sell devices without Prime on them. I feel the idea that customers would be confused because they would order an AppleTV and not have Amazon Prime on it is bogus. That's a really thin excuse. Consumers don't give a shit, if they want an AppleTV they want an AppleTV.

Personally, the first to get Vue wins for me. I have two Rokus, a FireTV stick, and a Chromecast at another location. I want something that will do:

Amazon
Hulu
Netflix
Vue
In-network content

and that doesn't have a shitty UI and app. Sorry FireTV, you fail at both. Oh yeah, and something with a smaller footprint and power consumption than a PS3/4. I don't want that running all day.

Struct09

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Those are my main services and I have a Roku 4. I love it. It also has VUDU which has come in handy.

Enzom21

It is pretty clear that Apple will allow pretty much any streaming service on the ATV 4.
The reason some services, like Amazon and VUDU aren't there is because they don't want to give up that 30% to Apple. In Amazon's case, I think it is a combination of not wanting to give up 30% and wanting people to buy their devices instead of competitor's.

No this is all Amazon. It is not on every device and Amazon went so far as to ban Apple TV 4 and Chromecast from their website.
Amazon wants you to buy their crap.

this_guy

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Amazon Fire TV or Roku both fit your needs here.

This is partially Bezos wanting his FireTV device to sell well and one of the ways to do that is to have exclusivity over his Prime Video App.
The only reason I imagine Roku and other devices has their app is because he doesn't really view them as competitors maybe?

Dali

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

A roku does those .

Dalek

A roku does those .

But what people don't seem to get is that if I already have a device that does all those EXCEPT Amazon....I'm not just going to throw my device away and buy a different to just get the Amazon app.

That's just dumb.

DOWN

Banned
None of those sell full catalogs and new releases. Netflix has 1-5 year old "new" films in super limited rotating selection. HBO has roughly 10 1-year old new releases. Not at all iTunes catalog purchase competitors.

Dalek

None of those sell full catalogs and new releases. Netflix has 1-5 year old "new" films in super limited rotating selection. HBO has roughly 10 1-year old new releases. Not at all iTunes catalog purchase competitors.

Yeah, that's a fair point. I guess I was thinking solely of their streaming service.

But what people don't seem to get is that if I already have a device that does all those EXCEPT Amazon....I'm not just going to throw my device away and buy a different to just get the Amazon app.

That's just dumb.
But you don't have to throw your device away? Why not just keep them both hooked up?

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Get an xbox one.

There's nothing different putting something on the Apple TV app store, or the iPhone, yet the iPhone gets it. It's BS from Bezos.
That's exactly what it is.
It's why the Amazon Prime app wasn't on Android until I think the Fire Phone flopped and then they let it onto Android devices and only through their app store.
I understand why they just don't develop apps like regular. This exclusivity BS is just annoying as a consumer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom