• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AppleTV won't get Amazon Video until Apple agrees to 'acceptable business terms"

Status
Not open for further replies.

numble

Costco could benefit from a relationship like that, yes.

Just like Apple benefits from having software like Steam being available on a MacBook despite the fact Apple has a store that sells the same software.

Open ecosystems are a thing.. because they can attract a greater volume of people.

Closed ecosystems tend to make more money per customer; and if you can have a closed ecosystem AND be a huge market leader, you've hit the jackpot (like Apple has with the iPhone.)

Here's a basic way to explain it: I'd be more likely to buy an Apple TV is I could shop on amazon's video store with it.. I don't currently buy movies or TV shows through iTunes because I don't have an Apple TV. I mainly use an HTPC; if I were to buy an Apple TV to then buy things from Amazon, I'd also be getting iTunes exclusive content advertised to me.. and thus, am likely to end up buying some.

Costco could not benefit from letting other retail stores take up their space for free just because Costco charges shoppers a membership fee.

I don't understand your argument.

So because Best Buy is open, it should allow Amazon to open a store inside for free? And Costco should also give Best Buy a free store inside a Costco for free because Costco is closed?

Your HTPC can show movies and TV shows bought through iTunes.

Amazon has already created video apps on iPhone and iPad because it works both ways--users are more likely to use Amazon if it is available on their devices. If not, people are more likely to use Netflix and Hulu.

riotous

Banned
Costco could not benefit from letting other retail stores take up their space for free just because Costco charges shoppers a membership fee.

I don't understand your argument.

So because Best Buy is open, it should allow Amazon to open a store inside for free? And Costco should also give Best Buy a free store inside a Costco for free because Costco is closed?

Your HTPC can show movies and TV shows bought through iTunes.

Amazon has already created video apps on iPhone and iPad because it works both ways--users are more likely to use Amazon if it is available on their devices. If not, people are more likely to use Netflix and Hulu.

I never siad anyone "Should" or "shouldn't" do anything; I'm also well aware I can buy things for iTunes on PC. All I said was I'd be more likely to buy iTunes content if I had an Apple TV.

If you can't understand the "Steam on OSX" angle, not sure what else to tell you. Explain to me why Apple allows stores to install on Macbooks?

Quit getting caught up on the retail analogy; I'm the one arguing it's a bad analogy lol. Costco would make a better analogy it's still not a great one; macbooks and other devices that allow 3rd party stores.. MUCH better analogy.

And like I said I'm not saying what SHOULD or SHOULDNT be done. There's a reason to do so though.

numble

I never siad anyone "Should" or "shouldn't" do anything; I'm also well aware I can buy things for iTunes on PC. All I said was I'd be more likely to buy iTunes content if I had an Apple TV.

If you can't understand the "Steam on OSX" angle, not sure what else to tell you. Explain to me why Apple allows stores to install on Macbooks?

Quit getting caught up on the retail analogy; I'm the one arguing it's a bad analogy lol. Costco would make a better analogy; macbooks and other devices that allow 3rd party stores.. MUCH better analogy.

You are talking about sideloading, not being available on the main store. The App Store does not have a Steam app. You need to separately install it. You can sideload onto an Apple TV if you want, if Amazon creates the app.

riotous

Banned
You are talking about sideloading, not being available on the main store. The App Store does not have a Steam app. You need to separately install it. You can sideload onto an Apple TV if you want, if Amazon creates the app.

Apple creaetes an official way to install applications on OSX that's far more seamless than side-loading on Apple TV.
Just not continuing this.

numble

Apple creaetes an official way to install applications on OSX.

Just not continuing this.

As of the latest iOS and tvOS versions, there is an official way to install non-App Store applications on an Apple TV (and iOS devices), no jailbreaking or developer account required. You must not be following the latest developments.

riotous

Banned
As of the latest iOS and tvOS versions, there is an official way to install non-App Store applications on an Apple TV (and iOS devices), no jailbreaking or developer account required. You must not be following the latest developments.

The difference in intent between what you can do with an xcode project that you have to sign and the completey open ecosystem of apps for OSX is enormous and apparent.

In the end I think Amazon are dicks and should release a client that can play back content you've purchased elsewhere just like Apple allows... this entire conversation has turned into semantics and minutia. Companies can benefit from open ecosystmes; they also might choose closed ones.

numble

The difference in intent between what you can do with an xcode project that you have to sign and the completey open ecosystem of apps for OSX is enormous and apparent.

But you are comparing to OS X, where Steam is not allowed on the App Store, and you need to install it separately. You can install separately on Apple TV as well. Okay, if you want to argue that they should make sideloading simpler, that's fine, but that is different between comparing the Mac App Store and Apple TV App Store, since they both do not allow Steam on there.

I really wish they'd get it settled, because not being able to use Amazon Video is the one thing stopping me from getting an AppleTV. I want one machine that features all of my subscriptions:

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Right now my PS4 can do the latter three, but not HBO Go (stupid Comcast blocking it). I'm not gonna get an AppleTV just to have to switch to a different machine for Amazon. Ironically, if I had a PS3, I'd be all set. So dumb.

So you want a Fire TV. That's what I use and that's what subscriptions I have. Works great to be quite honest.

KonradLaw

Obviously Amazon isn't dumb enough to let Apple take 30%, but I'm wondering why can't they just release a free app that you need registered account for? Same way they do Kindle..you can download the app and use it, but you can't buy books through it. Instead you it through regular browser, bypassing the whole Apple's ecosystem.

Is Apple controlling Apple TV app store much tighter than regular one? I mean...AFAIR there is a Prime app for iPhone and iPad.

icespide

Banned
Obviously Amazon isn't dumb enough to let Apple take 30%, but I'm wondering why can't they just release a free app that you need registered account for? Same way they do Kindle..you can download the app and use it, but you can't buy books through it. Instead you it through regular browser, bypassing the whole Apple's ecosystem.

Is Apple controlling Apple TV app store much tighter than regular one? I mean...AFAIR there is a Prime app for iPhone and iPad.

Amazon can't afford to ignore iPhone and iOS. Apple TV is much smaller market so they're being dicks about it

KonradLaw

Amazon can't afford to ignore iPhone and iOS. Apple TV is much smaller market so they're being dicks about it

Well..but they aren't loosing anything on iOS. Apple doesn't get a dime from them. It would seem extremely petty to not do Apple TV if exact same rules applied.

SMattera

Amazon had a phone and they have a tablet.

But their tablet is like 5% of the market and their phone was a failure.

The TV is the one area where they can legitimately beat Apple because they own one of the most popular streaming services.

LaMagenta

I really wish they'd get it settled, because not being able to use Amazon Video is the one thing stopping me from getting an AppleTV. I want one machine that features all of my subscriptions:

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Right now my PS4 can do the latter three, but not HBO Go (stupid Comcast blocking it). I'm not gonna get an AppleTV just to have to switch to a different machine for Amazon. Ironically, if I had a PS3, I'd be all set. So dumb.
I love apple tv. Never even thought why they don't have amazon video cuz there's plenty other things they don't have either. So I usually unhook hdmi from back of apple tv, plug on my mac and then watch amazon video on the big screen. And done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom