• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AppleTV won't get Amazon Video until Apple agrees to 'acceptable business terms"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad I have a Fire TV, great for Amazon video for obvious reasons. Has all my streaming services on one device. I'm sure Roku is good too.

This may be Amazon's fault but it's Apple's problem. Not having Amazon Prime on there is what made me go with Fire and now I'm buying all my streaming video shows/movies from Amazon instead.

DOWN

Banned
They have it on the iOS tho

Which is on devices where the fewest theatrical releases are bought and viewed. Streaming services dominate mobile. Full catalog purchase stores dominate in the living room, and that is where iTunes movies thrive.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Likely because Amazon Video purchases would require a 30% fee to Aplle, or this app would not allow for purchases thus killing a revenue stream. Why support ATV app that drives purchases of hardware away from Amazon? Better to just support a lesser experience on iPhones/iPads (cause that segment of the paying market is too large) with something that is just good enough.

See the following...
This may be Amazon's fault but it's Apple's problem. Not having Amazon Prime on there is what made me go with Fire and now I'm buying all my streaming video shows/movies from Amazon instead.
It's just business strategy imho.

Likely because Amazon Video purchases would require a 30% fee to Aplle, or this app would not allow for purchases thus killing a revenue stream. Why support ATV app that drives purchases of hardware away from Amazon? Better to just support a lesser experience on iPhones/iPads (cause that segment of the paying market is too large) with something that is just good enough.

See the following...

It's just business strategy imho.

Yeah, it's all about the 30% fee. They can say it's "private" but it should be obvious to anyone that's what we're talking about. Look at what happened when Amazon bought Comixology. They totally neutered the iOS app to prevent Apple from getting that cut.

Kthulhu

Amazon continuing to not know how to make hardware and software outside of the Kindle.

I honestly don't know why they even bother.

Dalek

Yeah, it's all about the 30% fee. They can say it's "private" but it should be obvious to anyone that's what we're talking about. Look at what happened when Amazon bought Comixology. They totally neutered the iOS app to prevent Apple from getting that cut.

Silly question, but when I order a coffee maker from the Amazon iOS app, does apple get 30% of that?

Silly question, but when I order a coffee maker from the Amazon iOS app, does apple get 30% of that?
No because that's a physical good, you can't buy digital goods on the app. I've even been blocked from buying PSN digital codes from the app and had to use my computer.

this_guy

Glad I have a Fire TV, great for Amazon video for obvious reasons. Has all my streaming services on one device. I'm sure Roku is good too.

And this is exactly why Amazon chooses to do this. I have the FireTV as well but I've switched to buying movies on Vudu a year ago. Unfortunately Vudu isn't on the FireTV so I have to use my Chromecast. Sucks for the consumer but companies are still competing for the living room.

Enzom21

No. You're not paying through you iTunes account so there would be no way for Apple to take a cut of that. It you were able to use Applepay I bet there would be the 30% cut.

Zaph

No. You're not paying through you iTunes account so there would be no way for Apple to take a cut of that. It you were able to use Applepay I bet there would be the 30% cut.

ApplePay, and other digital wallets, take a fraction of a percent. This comes out of the existing credit card transaction cut, which is why Apple had to get banks to opt-in one by one.

AndyD

aka andydumi
No because that's a physical good, you can't buy digital goods on the app. I've even been blocked from buying PSN digital codes from the app and had to use my computer.

Indeed. There is a significant distinction between app marketplaces for products that Apple does not offer (physical stuff like a coffeemaker) and digital stuff that directly competes with the itunes store, say digital movies and music.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I really wish they'd get it settled, because not being able to use Amazon Video is the one thing stopping me from getting an AppleTV. I want one machine that features all of my subscriptions:

- HBO Go
- Amazon
- Netflix
- Hulu+

Right now my PS4 can do the latter three, but not HBO Go (stupid Comcast blocking it). I'm not gonna get an AppleTV just to have to switch to a different machine for Amazon. Ironically, if I had a PS3, I'd be all set. So dumb.

Roku does all of those and more. It's why I got one. It also doesn't have a gimped USB port like the other machines.

A year ago I got an AppleTV (the latest one that didn't have games on it) and it's a great way to stream my iTunes purchases (and Disney Movies Anywhere) while overseas (the less I have to carry in my luggage the better and that weight adds up fast!). My last trip, I used it for Netflix overseas and it worked GREAT, but I was sad there's no way to really stream Ultraviolet purchases properly. So my plan is to get 2 Roku units. A box for home so I can have Netflix, Amazon, Funimation, and Vudu in one AND be able to control it with my Harmony remote. And then get a stick so I can use for my overseas trips.

I would use my PS3 but the noise is just too much right now, another reason to get a PS4 (maybe I'll skip the Roku box and get the PS4 assuming I can find a way to use my Harmony remote with it)

It's a shame we can't have EVERYTHING in one, but with competing businesses, it certainly makes sense.

Thinking about getting a Roku 4, ...even tho i have the new Vizio P-series 4k TV....kinda annoying Amazon Video and Vue not on android tablet or i'm unable to cast it to my shiny new TV ....

Somnid

Their beef with Apple is they don't want to give up 30% revenue on a super important business. In fact it might not even be financially viable.

Their beef with Google is over the Amazon App Store which Google doesn't allow and so Amazon then leverages Prime Video to get people to sideload it.

So unless these change I wouldn't expect the app situation will.

Sucks, it's the one thing missing from Apple TV 4 that would make it perfect. I like it so much more than any other streaming box, and I've used / own them all. Telling Siri to skip 34 seconds(or whatever!) is flawless. Hate that nonsense is preventing this, and pretty sure it'll never come.

gcubed

Amazon can't compete with Netflix until they give up on their crybaby bullshit. Until they can get their streaming service on anything anywhere like Netflix has, they are an afterthought. No appletv, no Chromecast, no native Android (seriously, f their sideload store)

SMattera

Amazon can't compete with Netflix until they give up on their crybaby bullshit. Until they can get their streaming service on anything anywhere like Netflix has, they are an afterthought. No appletv, no Chromecast, no native Android (seriously, f their sideload store)

They're not trying to compete with Netflix/HBO/etc. They've been explicit about this. Prime Video is just there to get you into the Prime ecosystem/keep you there.

Prime Video offers enough value at this point that it makes Apple TV/Android TV/Chromecast non-starters IMO. I would never recommend them to anyone considering a streaming device purchase unless they had a massive iTunes library.

Bezos is going to have to explain to me what the blocker is here with the Chromecast.

You don't even need Google's permission. There are no terms.
Yes. This doesn't make any damn sense.I just want to watch Amazon Video on my old ass TV that has a Chromecast attached. This should not be difficult.

A lot of "Roku" responses. Are they really awesome set-top boxes now? I haven't paid attention to them in a long time.

They're pretty good devices that probably have the widest support for the varying services. If I could run Kodi on it, I'd probably be all over it.

Tobor

It plays all the formats which is what people want on a set top box.

Well, except for iTunes Movies and Apple Music, which is a necessity for me.

I'm good with Apple TV and use the PS4 for the rare occasions where I use Amazon Prime.

Cipherr

/shrug

The lack of accessibility for the most part has left me apathetic to anything Amazon is doing. I don't really think this works in their favor, but its their right to do it.

Still know nothing of any of their shows and don't really care. If it was accessible then I might browse that stuff on a boring slow day. Or maybe I wouldn't, who knows
wtzgU.gif

Jonbo298

Amazon is being extremely awful with app support all around. My Verizon Note 5 has not been able to update the Kindle app ever since Marshmallow was released; always error 505. Their support has essentially been to shrug and we'll get to it eventually.

Similar with the Amazon Video app on Android. Multiple times a day I'm notified to update it in the main Amazon app. I do so, and it doesn't actually update. I did make sure that installing apps from unknown sources is allowed.

At any rate, my view of Amazon has gotten incredibly negative this year. I was ok with the Prime cost increasing because shipping costs go up over time. But the longstanding issues with their apps on my phone, this corporate filled excuse on not supporting Apple TV, no Chromecast support, officially not allowing price matching (sans TVs), barring specific products from their site (yes I'm aware a business can do that, doesn't mean I have to like it) and in some cases locking buying some products to Prime only.

They went from consumer friendly to wall street friendly so fast that I would not be surprised if Prime subscriptions start dropping soon. I'll have serious doubts about renewing when it comes up in November.

this_guy

I wished Amazon, Apple, and Google all joined in with the Ultraviolet format so you could watch your movies with any of the services. Disney does it right with their DisneyMoviesAnywhere drm that lets you watch your movies on multiple services.

icespide

Banned
I wished Amazon, Apple, and Google all joined in with the Ultraviolet format so you could watch your movies with any of the services. Disney does it right with their DisneyMoviesAnywhere drm that lets you watch your movies on multiple services.

Ultraviolet is garbage though

linkboy

Their beef with Apple is they don't want to give up 30% revenue on a super important business. In fact it might not even be financially viable.

Their beef with Google is over the Amazon App Store which Google doesn't allow and so Amazon then leverages Prime Video to get people to sideload it.

So unless these change I wouldn't expect the app situation will.

Except you can't side load Prime Video on Android TV devices. Amazon even went so far to block people from doing it with the apk from Sony TV's.

Somnid

Except you can't side load Prime Video on Android TV devices. Amazon even went so far to block people from doing it with the apk from Sony TV's.

I'm speaking to Android as it exists on phones and tablets, they want to be there but on their own terms. Amazon doesn't care about Android TV because it has no marketshare, especially not compared to Fire TV so it's just a hostage.

From what it sounded like they considered it in the past, but now it looks like they might be building a similar service: http://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-test...igital-copies-with-blu-ray-and-dvd-purchases/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom