• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are Indies Killing Gaming?

Are Indies Killing Gaming?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Guilty_AI

Gold Member
Selaco just released and most people don't know that it exists. There's so many great games that people, including myself, don't even know exist because we still haven't figured out a reliable method for getting these names out into the public conversation.

I think part of the problem is the 'indie' label itself. It's too broad of a term and it's become synonymous with one specific subset of games (the artsy, retro, 2D, throwback or whatever you want to call it). At least now we've got the boomer shooter genre/category to pull those types of games out from under the indie label/category.

I think part of the solution is discovering new terms for genres and losing the 'indie' label. Metroidvania is another example of this.
Well, Selaco has been talked about for years in multiple popular channels. It's also over 1000 steam reviews now which makes it rather favorable in the eyes of the Steam recommendation algorithm.

The secret to finding stuff that interests you is knowing what you want. Even before steam made the boomer shooter label you'd end up stumbling in some channel that deals with classic shooters and doom mods if one showed even some interest.

Likes CRPG? A quick search on Steam's interactive recommender would already present you with games like Underrail, Islands of Caliph or SKALD. Immersive sims? You'd be presented with games like Shadows of Doubt, Blood West, Fortune's Run, Amnesia the Bunker, etc.

Dutchy

I'm currently playing Hades 2 in early access. Shit is more polished and has more replay value than the past 25 AAA that I've played.

OP really living in some alternate reality

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Gotta love the fact that the OP highlights no examples to support their case.

But i can see where it is at. A lot of the Direct shows focus on platformers or isometric RPG's and the thing they have most in common is they look the same. Everything is colorful or has that cellshaded anime look.

When it comes to boomershooters a similar trend is there - A lot of it looks very samey/Quakey. So its really all about picking the right ones.

Mr Hyde

Gold Member
I think indies and AA are a breath of fresh air right now in the gaming space. Outside a select few games, AAA has shit the bed so hard it's not even fun.

simpatico

Yes. Absolutely yes. If indies weren’t releasing so much fire lately, we might not notice how abysmal the AAA stuff has been.

Top Bottom