• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Men who have engaged in same-sex sexual conduct are not allowed to donate, hence I don't.

Edit - this has to be the most delayed double post ever.

I think they took this law back in the UK. Might be on some time limit now

Red cross won't let me donate blood.

The complications from donating bone marrow, and some of the conversations I've had with people in the medical profession have made me not pursue donating that, although if I knew someone who needed it and I was a match I would take the chance for them.

I am an organ donor and also believe it should be the standard option and you have to opt out of it.

I'm personally planning on becoming an Organ Donor, it just feels like the right thing to do with my body after I pass on at the end of this century. I just need to stop being lazy and grab a form and fill it out.

Though I've always looked at Blood Donating as something that I would always love to try doing. Though the problem for me is that I'm absolutely petrified of needles. I really want to do it, but this fear just takes hold of me whenever they host blood donation stations at the campus here.

Watevaman

Organ donor, yes. I'm not gonna need them when I'm dead so I figure let others use them.

Blood donor? No, but I'm not against it, I just can't be added. Never heard of marrow donation.

lunchtoast

Organ Donor and also apart of that be the match site. Haven't donated blood since military. Not something I'd go out of the way for unless I had rare blood.

Koomaster

I'm ineligible; they don't want any of my stuff. Which is a shame since for some reason when I was a kid I always wanted to be a blood donor as weird as that seems.

I'm too petite to give blood :/
I wouldn't mind doing so if I was capable of being larger than what I am.

Even when I was at a doctors office, and they would take 3 tubes of blood for testing, I would get extraordinarily weak and my heart would race in my ears. I've never collapsed while giving blood but even with giving a little bit I get damn near close.

JDSN

Banned
Im O- and since the blood bank in my country is full of assholes I have become the unofficial blood donor of my hospital's ICU.

Martian

Organ and blood: yes. Looking to becoming a bone marrow donor.

What would I care about what happens to my body when I'm dead? Hack away people, hack away

Im O- and since the blood bank in my country is full of assholes I have become the unofficial blood donor of my hospital's ICU.

image.php

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Organ donor.

I really think it should be the default option, and people who don't wan't should opt out.

Yep. If I somehow became world leader this would be done before my first day was over.

dorn.

I donate blood 3-5 times a year and I'm a registered bone marrow donor, they haven't asked me to donate so far though.

entremet

fuck saving lives

holla holla get dollah
I think the reasoning is that insurance companies charge a pretty penny for transfusions and as such donors should be able to sell them.

I still give blood regardless personally. This is for the US, where we have a messed up healthcare system.

My biggest problem with donating blood is that my veins are small and move around. It usually takes like three or four (or in one case, seven) tries before they get my vein. I end up covered in bruises. Worth it though.

I used to donate blood at every work event (happens every two months here, which is nice) but I can't now due to a prescription I'm taking.

Partial organ donor. Haven't ever been talked to about bone marrow, so I haven't really reached out to offer that...

Mr-Joker

Banned
I am a selfish git and refuse to donate any of my body part and never will, unless it's for my family member.

Yeah, it doesn't even make sense

I think it's do with the fact that Gay people have a higher chance of getting HIV/AID.

Though I could be wrong.

So many selfish assholes out there. I really wish there was some sort of priority system where if you don't give blood or donate organs based on some arbitrary reason (like just not feeling like it) as opposed to a legitimate reason (like being ruled out) you get bumped to the back of the queue. Why should you get that organ or that transfusion if you're not willing to help with the supply.

hint:
you shouldn't

And for those talking about only donating for family, there's no guarantee that family will have compatible blood types. You could just as easily be relying on strangers donating in that scenario, good thing some of us out there actually do.

It's one of those things that I want to do but I'm too lazy to seek out the methods of doing so... so I don't.

If you're in the U.S., or hell probably most countries, just Google "blood drive" and the name of your city. See if there are any blood drives being set up sometime soon near your home/work. Taking the first step is a pain, but once you get to the place, it's all relatively simple, generally goes quickly, and they can answer any questions you have before/during/after you donate.

Sorry, not trying to turn this into a "donate blood!" propaganda thread, but it really is a worthwhile cause to participate in.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Yes, I'm a full donor, because there is no rational reason not to be. I also donated blood regularly in the past, but they haven't let me do it in a couple years because I keep going to malaria hotspots and I can't donate for a year afterward.

I've donated blood, but not regularly. I donated plasma pretty frequently for a few years and made some good money. Marrow domain really freaks me out so I don't think I could do that.

Senoculum

I donate blood. It takes less than 3 months to replenish, and I go again almost immediately.

I usually take a girl with me and have dinner with her afterwards. They're always like, "Wow, you're like... so amiable." Works every time...

But seriously, I do it because I can. I work right next to the clinic; it's also connected to a movie theater (For the Torontonians, it's the Varsity on Bloor). So I kill an evening donating a pack of blood and watching a flick. It takes about 8 blood packs (a week) to help someone with Leukemia. About 50 for someone in a car accident and in need of major surgery. There simply isn't enough blood going around, and ESPECIALLY from the youth (I'm 25, and I'm sometimes the youngest person at the clinic by decades). There's never any lines, because no one does it, so I'm out in 30 minutes. To reiterate: I do it so others can have a chance of life. Also, free Oreos.

They also check your blood for any abnormalities, so it's kinda like a free check up!

I also have a card on me that declares my organs free to be used, if I happen to keel over dead. I think that this should be law. If you''re dead, give up those organs.

Raiden

Banned
I'm not but i should be.

How healthy do you have to be to donate blood? I smoke and i drink during the weekends. Other than that i'm pretty healthy.

I used to donate blood quite a lot, but haven't been able to for the last few years because I've been getting tattooed fairly regularly. I'm B- too so felt it was quite important I donated for my fellow rare blood types. I'm on the bone marrow register and signed up to donate any part of my body they want.

The way I see it is we come in to this world demanding a lot and giving very little back in return, so this is the least we can do to help others.

I'm just an organ donor, because I figure that if it ever comes to that, I wouldn't be able to use my body parts anyway, might as well save a life or two.

I don't give blood because I hate having blood drawn from my wrists (which is worse still, because when I get blood tests, it turns out the best place to get blood in from my knuckles anyway) and also because to this day, I have a severe aversion to needles.

I didn't even know there were places to donate bone marrow without it being an emergency.

Damaniel

Banned
I'm an organ donor. I used to give blood, but after passing out during my last two donations (both times after the unit had been donated, but while they were collecting the last vial or two of blood for testing purposes), I decided that giving blood probably wasn't the best idea.

LilZippa

Listed as an organ donor and am set to give blood again this week actually. You have peaked my interest in marrow donation and I will now check that out.

Martian

I'm just an organ donor, because I figure that if it ever comes to that, I wouldn't be able to use my body parts anyway, might as well save a life or two.

I don't give blood because I hate having blood drawn from my wrists (which is worse still, because when I get blood tests, it turns out the best place to get blood in from my knuckles anyway) and also because to this day, I have a severe aversion to needles.

I didn't even know there were places to donate bone marrow without it being an emergency.

Well unless your veins are really thin, they just take blood from the inside of the elbow (dont know the english word)

And bone barrow is something really painful, but I think if I can just suffer a little bit and I can save a life, its a done deal

Also: dont you get paid if you donate blood in the US?

Talon

Well unless your veins are really thin, they just take blood from the inside of the elbow (dont know the english word)

And bone barrow is something really painful, but I think if I can just suffer a little bit and I can save a life, its a done deal
There's really poor misinformation about bone marrow transplants. There are two types of transplants - one is effectively a peripheral stem cell extraction where they isolate the stem cells from drawing blood and then put the rest of the fluid back into you - similar to a plasma transfusion.

The other (pelvic bone extraction) - the one that you're thinking as painful - is quite rare nowadays and involves extracting from the bone.

The poor information really hurts with bone marrow transplants because the match rates for that are EXTREMELY low - you only have a 20-30% chance of matching within your family. I forget the exact raw rate, but it's something like 1 in 1000 last I checked. If you're Asian in particular, you are in high demand because very few asians signed up for the bone marrow registry for some reason. It's one of those deals where they search on the match list and there is exactly one person that could save a person's life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom