• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you a blood, bone marrow, and/or organ donor? Why or why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tenebrous

I'm a blood donor, and on the organ donor register here in the UK. I believe organ donation should be an opt-out system instead of an opt-in system, because honestly, there's no reason not to do it (besides supernatural nonsense).

Mephala

I don't donate organs because my whole family is against it. They believe that the emergency life savers may not try as hard to save your life in favour of the organs you will donate. I don't personally believe this is common nor enough to stop donating just cause a few people are dicks about it but I'm not going to argue with the rest of the family over it.

Blood I donated a few times though sometimes they don't accept due health reasons and complications.

My bone and marrow are fucked. Showing up for donation is like walking in with a clown outfit at best you get some laughs at worse you're a weirdo.

Dead Man

I don't donate blood because I have sex with men, but there's been talk lately of changing that here in Australia.

I have no reason for not donating blood, but I have a very good reason for not being an organ donor. I don't wanna give any incentives for people desperate for my organs to organize my death.
That's a terrible reason.

Edit: already posted in the thread lol.

Apathy

I'm an organ doner simply cause who cares what happens to my organs when I'm dead. Give them to someone that can use them.

I don't donate blood, but only because I faint every time I have to take blood out in the past. Don't need to do that when donating.

LaNaranja

I used to donate blood regularly when I was going to university and the donor center was on campus. I haven't donated since I graduated. Just haven't found the time. I am O- so I used to try to donate as much as I could.

I have no reason for not donating blood, but I have a very good reason for not being an organ donor. I don't wanna give any incentives for people desperate for my organs to organize my death.

I can guarantee you from firsthand experience that EMT's do not give a shit if you're an organ donor or not, they will work their asses off to save your life. Please, people need to stop perpetuating this myth. We could save so many more lives if more people donated.

LOLDSFAN

I'm an organ doner simply cause who cares what happens to my organs when I'm dead. Give them to someone that can use them.

I don't donate blood, but only because I faint every time I have to take blood out in the past. Don't need to do that when donating.

Same, but I have never passed out, just get really uncomfortable and start playing mind games where I psych myself out. Like I used to be fine with needles until I found out certain groups of people freak out about them. :p

Apathy

Same, but I have never passed out, just get really uncomfortable and start playing mind games where I psych myself out. Like I used to be fine with needles until I found out certain groups of people freak out about them. :p

Lol every time I need blood drawn for a test, I have to warn the place and they lay me down and like clockwork I pass out. Worst feeling having my blood pressure drop and feeling cold and light headed and numb

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Im an organ donor on my DL, but have never given blood. I need all of my blood, and my blood is probably too unhealthy for use anyways. I have contemplated giving blood once just to find out what bloodtype I have.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Saw it was an old thread, looked to see if I've posted already on the topic

I have a severe case of trypanophobia/needle phobia. You keep your fucking needles to yourself, docs and nurses. I've been told I have a rare blood type that the banks need but fuck no. No needles unless I absolutely have to. Fuck needles. Fuck.

Yep, lol, and I'm still a fucking needle phobe. Fuck needles.

I can't donate blood anymore sadly since I have tattoos but I really support the cause! I am an organ donor and am prepared to donate bone marrow and any spare organs to my friends and family that would need it. I appreciate the sentiment of this thread.

I think it's just a 12-month ban on donating blood after your most recent tattoo, at least in the US. I have no idea for outside the US, but just wanted to mention this FYI.

And props to you for being an organ donor!

Straight from Red Cross:

"Tattoo

Wait 12 months after a tattoo if the tattoo was applied in a state that does not regulate tattoo facilities. Currently, the only states that DO NOT regulate tattoo facilities are: District of Columbia, Georgia, Idaho, Maryland, Massachusetts, Nevada, New Hampshire, New York, Pennsylvania, Utah and Wyoming. This requirement is related to concerns about hepatitis. Learn more about hepatitis and blood donation.

A tattoo is acceptable if the tattoo was applied by a state-regulated entity using sterile needles and ink that is not reused. Cosmetic tattoos applied in a licensed establishment in a regulated state using sterile needles and ink that is not reused is acceptable. You should discuss your particular situation with the health historian at the time of donation."

I always think tattoos put a halt to donating because I forget this constantly. Odds are fairly good that you're able to donate today.

Give blood whenever I get around to it. If someone I cared for needed bone marrow sign me up.

I'm against organ donation. When I die, I want my body to be whole in case they find a way to bring me back to life. This is assuming in the future there is a way to halt the decomposition process. This may change as I get older or am faced with situations that alter my opinion. Also I can't be guaranteed that whoever gets my organs will look after them. I'd hate an alcoholic to get my liver only to fuck it up, or a smoker to ruin my lungs along with their own. What a waste.

If I were to donate organs, I'd give all but my eyes. My eyes belong to me, gateway to the soul and all that. I guess I have slight romanticism towards my eyes. I wouldn't like the idea of someone walking around with my eyes.

Don't know how serious you are, being the internet, but it would make much more sense to be an organ donor now while there's obviously no way to stop the decomposition process and then retract it if that actually comes along. If there was an accident tomorrow and you were about to die it doesn't make sense to not be an organ donor because you were waiting to see if they could freeze your body upon death or something like that. The thinking is completely backward.

As for not wanting your organs to go to someone unworthy because it'd be a waste? It wouldn't be a waste for them to be used on no one and just decompose in your dead body? If you are really stuck on this another thing to consider is that if you don't donate it doesn't suddenly mean that this future alcoholic/smoker doesn't get an organ. It just means there's +1 organs to go around so someone else ALSO gets an organ instead of just this person that could hypothetically "waste" one.

I don't want it to seem like this is an attack. I'd just like to counter your reasons if it's possible to sway you to sign up. Much like how others reply to folks that are worried they'll be left to die instead of attempted to be saved if they're donors.

And I've posted in here many times. I'm signed up for everything. It's been awhile since I've done blood/platelets since I've had some changes in my life but I should go do that so I'll be looking to get it done soon, likely in the next week.

I'm a registered organ and blood marrow donor. I've had friends and community members with terminal cancer that might have experienced a longer life expectancy if there had been compatible donors.

Not sure if I'll ever be called upon to donate marrow with the odds of that happening being a 1 in 540 chance.

My mother used to work for a blood bank, so I used to donate. I haven't donated in a few years, because I've gotten tattoos fairly frequently. But maybe I will begin donating again after next year.

MarshallH

Neo Member
I've been a blood donor for a few years now. I'm also a organ donor, marrow donor and stem cell donor. Figured why not, if it can save lives.
I live close to the blood bank, so the whole process doesn't take me more than an hour anyway.

Hypron

I can't donate blood because I lived in Europe in the 90s... I haven't checked whether I'm eligible for the other type of donations though.

Maengun1

I don't mind needles for shots since it lasts like a second, but having the needle in for the extended period of time to donate blood bothers me a lot. I've done it twice and it was a horrible experience both times. Not saying I never would again, but haven't done it more than those 2 times. I have a common blood type anyway.

Am an organ donor.

cjp

Give blood whenever I get around to it. If someone I cared for needed bone marrow sign me up.

I'm against organ donation. When I die, I want my body to be whole in case they find a way to bring me back to life. This is assuming in the future there is a way to halt the decomposition process. This may change as I get older or am faced with situations that alter my opinion. Also I can't be guaranteed that whoever gets my organs will look after them. I'd hate an alcoholic to get my liver only to fuck it up, or a smoker to ruin my lungs along with their own. What a waste.

If I were to donate organs, I'd give all but my eyes. My eyes belong to me, gateway to the soul and all that. I guess I have slight romanticism towards my eyes. I wouldn't like the idea of someone walking around with my eyes.

It might. It also might go to someone who has never touched either alcohol or cigarettes in their life. Would you really deny the chance of giving someone life because there's a slight possibility it might go to someone, who in your opinion, doesn't deserve it?

Paganmoon

Donate blood every 3 months, also on a stem cell donation register, but haven't ever been called in for that.

It's really such a small thing to do, and it hardly takes any time, I usually go to the donation center on my lunch break.

In my experience the staff at the centers are extremely helpful, and kind. They will not push you or anything, so if you're on the fence, go to one, fill in the form, and do a blood test (they take a small amount of blood the first time), you can get a feel of how it is, see if you find it uncomfortable, and so on.

And for those that say they don't cause they're selfish, think of it this way, do it for yourself. you donate some blood and you save lives, you'll be a lifesaver! and you can be proud about it and pat yourself on the back, or tell the world or whatever.

Yeah everything (when i die).
Why? You might help someone or help science. And your atoms will not go to waste in a black pile of death-juice at the bottom of a coffin.
Especially the iron coffins sound like an eternal prison to me.
The body is just a fleshy shell. I've had lcd trips where i was completely disconnected from it.

The last moment of dying will feel timeless.This is the nanosecond where your personal hell or heaven will come true or not, depending on your actions in life and your personal convictions. You will judge yourself.

I think...

I don't donate blood by the way. Not sure they'd want it.

Im an organ donor on my DL, but have never given blood. I need all of my blood, and my blood is probably too unhealthy for use anyways. I have contemplated giving blood once just to find out what bloodtype I have.

Truthfully, unless you have a preexisting medical condition, you don't actually need all your blood. Your blood is probably perfectly healthy, but if it isn't, the blood donation center will be able to determine that.

Organ donor. Can't donate anything else because I'm an "active" gay

Organ donor, yeah, but no one wants my gay blood or bone marrow.

And I continue to be disappointed with our blood donation procedures. All this potential blood being inaccessible. Not the fault of any of you, just slow and outdated legislation.

I'm a heavy smoker, so my lungs are useless.

I'm a heavy drinker, so my liver is junk.

My family has a history of kidney problems, so god only knows if they are worth anything.

And I dislike giving blood.

In other words, no.

I'm a blood donor, and on the organ donor register here in the UK. I believe organ donation should be an opt-out system instead of an opt-in system, because honestly, there's no reason not to do it (besides supernatural nonsense).

Spain has an opt-out consent organ donation policy and it's been the country where most organ donations take place for years.

BriGuy

Blood donation makes me feel very light-headed and ill, but I am an organ donor. It's a nice thing to do, but beyond that, I'm secretly hoping I can possess whomever gets one of my organs if I die, so I can keep on truckin'.

kharma45

Blood and organ.

I concur.

It might. It also might go to someone who has never touched either alcohol or cigarettes in their life. Would you really deny the chance of giving someone life because there's a slight possibility it might go to someone, who in your opinion, doesn't deserve it?

Unfortunately I'm cynical, so yes. I've know people through "acquaintances" who needed a new liver, got one then destroyed it the same way as her first. I know it could go to the young little girl who we all like to think is on the other end, but it isn't a guarantee. If someone I cared about needed an organ while I was alive that's a different story. However as of now, that's my stance now. I can do more good while I'm alive, so with that statement I'n mind I'll book an appointment to give blood.

Maybe one day I'll change my opinion. For now, that's how I feel. I like the idea in death my body is whole whether I can be frozen, cremated or otherwise.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
Organ and blood donor.

Trying to get to the 10 gallon club, but it takes a lot of donations and I only donate about every 6 weeks.

Paganmoon

Organ and blood donor.

Trying to get to the 10 gallon club, but it takes a lot of donations and I only donate about every 6 weeks.

Wow, every 6 weeks is quite often. How much do you donate?
In Sweden, it's 4.5deciliters (about 15 fluid ounces according to Google), every 3 months for men (women can only donate every 4 months).

In France it's opt-out. Everyone is a potential donor unless they specifically register on the "National Registry of Refusals".

I'd never advocate an opt-out system. The state should not have default rights to my corpse. That's up to my next of kin and myself while I'm alive to decide to donate.

NekoFever

I'd never advocate an opt-out system. The state should not have default rights to my corpse. That's up to my next of kin and myself while I'm alive to decide to donate.

I kind of agree. I'd encourage it by making it opt-in, but giving registered donors priority over non-donors if they ever need a transplant (people who can't donate for medical reasons obviously excepted). I believe several countries already do it this way.

AlteredBeast

Fork 'em, Sparky!
In Sweden, it's 4.5deciliters (about 15 fluid ounces according to Google), every 3 months for men (women can only donate every 4 months).

Sorry, meant to type 8 weeks. It is the minimum time allowed by the red Cross and I really want that damn shirt. :)

I'm a heavy smoker, so my lungs are useless.

I'm a heavy drinker, so my liver is junk.

My family has a history of kidney problems, so god only knows if they are worth anything.

And I dislike giving blood.

In other words, no.
Your corneas should still be useful. Same with your small bowel. And your skin. Have any excuses for those?

In other words, it's perfectly alright to say, "I just don't feel like donating." No hard feelings.

I kind of agree. I'd encourage it by making it opt-in, but giving registered donors priority over non-donors if they ever need a transplant (people who can't donate for medical reasons obviously excepted). I believe several countries already do it this way.

I think that's fair. Shit I'd probably opt in if that were the case.

Polk

In Poland it's 450ml every 2 monhts in Poland for bood donations (every 2 weeks for plasma and every month for thrombocytes). Women can donate blood every 3 mohts AFAIR (not sure about plasma and thrombocytes).

Shredderi

I don't donate blood because I have sex with men, but there's been talk lately of changing that here in Australia.

That's a terrible reason.

Edit: already posted in the thread lol.

I can guarantee you from firsthand experience that EMT's do not give a shit if you're an organ donor or not, they will work their asses off to save your life. Please, people need to stop perpetuating this myth. We could save so many more lives if more people donated.

Sorry, it was just a joke. Wasn't aware that there was actually this kind of myth circulating around. In that case my joke was a little in bad taste. Apologies.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
In my country, everyone is an organ donor by default, probably by the terrible donation rates. So yeah, I initially had my doubts, but fuck it, if I'm gonna die, I hope people in need get what they otherwise wouldn't get.

I tried to donate blood once and was told I was too thin. Broke my heart, I was pumped to do that.

EDIT: BTW, isn't France allowing homosexuals to donate blood eventually? Oh, yes they are! Hopefully other countries follow suit.

Ladekabel

I donate blood. Read that it reduces the risk of getting a heart attack and people seem to need it. Additionally I get 25€ everytime I donate and have a small chance to win tickets for a football game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom