• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

ASIS

I'd be down for that... which is exactly why it'll never happen :p

Yeah, we already had one female mc, back to prioritising a less popular male design over a female one for this new IP, wouldn't want Corrin to get lonely :p

This shit again.....

It's only in your mind. There is no gender issue in this game.

Anyone actually bother looking carefully at the audience members?
I might just be slow and it's been commented on already, but I noticed a few things that could shed some light

1. Everyone is wearing masks. I can see why it was thought to be W101 related.
2. They have normal limbs
3. If you look at the screen below, their color schemes seem to match those of the characters. They look like sports team fans
32159365941_79e29e2126_o.jpg

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
is this true? there was an ARMS thread in /v/ yesterday and they mentioned Mechanica is the younger sis of either Spring Man or Ribbon Girl as stated in the Japan stream.

Caramello

I'm really looking forward to this. It has taken a few days to grow on me, just like Splatoon. I feel like it could be really special.

psyfi

Banned
This game will take ppl by surprise. Gonna be a gem for the switch. I have high hopes.
Yeah, I agree. If it has as much depth as it looks like it has (assuming it'll get more content by launch), then I think it'll be really successful. How Nintendo handles its online modes will be crucial, too.

An excerpt of my full impressions from the Switch preview event in NYC:

Strapped in to play Arms, went through the tutorial, time somehow accelerated, and I was left in a heap of my own emotions.

Simply put, I LOVE THIS GAME.

The game is very fluid, the Joy-Con controls are very solid (there were no traditional control setups I saw), the visuals were so colorful and vibrant, and most importantly, it was pure fun.

My demo was a best 2 out of 3 rounds battle against another player. 5 characters were available: I played as Ribbon Girl, the other guy was Master Mummy. It was a fiercely contested bout, with me as the victor - making a 2-1 comeback that delighted the rep since it was so strategic with the dash-dodging and how close the punches came.

I was worried that the throws made it feel cheap (we did a lot of them and they did a good chunk of damage), but with enough strategy and know-how, I was able to dodge them well, punish accordingly and defeat my opponent soundly.

Also, I think Arms may have a bit of HD Rumble to it because it really felt like I was extending my arms (there was a slight springiness) for a satisfying hit, followed up with it retracting. It's subtle, but very nice.

Debirudog

Strapped in to play Arms, went through the tutorial, time somehow accelerated, and I was left in a heap of my own emotions.

The game is very fluid, the Joy-Con controls are very solid (there were no traditional control setups I saw), the visuals were so colorful and vibrant, and most importantly, it was pure fun.

My demo was a best 2 out of 3 rounds battle against another player. 5 characters were available: I played as Ribbon Girl, the other guy was Master Mummy. It was a fiercely contested bout, with me as the victor - making a 2-1 comeback that delighted the rep since it was so strategic with the dash-dodging and how close the punches came.

I was worried that the throws made it feel cheap (we did a lot of them and they did a good chunk of damage), but with enough strategy and know-how, I was able to dodge them well, punish accordingly and defeat my opponent soundly.

Also, I think Arms may have a bit of HD Rumble to it because it really felt like I was extending my arms (there was a slight springiness) for a satisfying hit, followed up with it retracting. It's subtle, but very nice.

Man, this had me hyped.

HD rumble might be the switch's secret butter.

JnFnRu

So not sure if this is worth just for one player fun as not sure my hubby will always want to join me playing?

Any impressions from people playing solo?
Is it like Wii Boxing with the Motion Plus or much more responsive with the Joy Cons?

So not sure if this is worth just for one player fun as not sure my hubby will always want to join me playing?

Any impressions from people playing solo?
Is it like Wii Boxing with the Motion Plus or much more responsive with the Joy Cons?

I know you can play one on one with the CPU for this demo. We don't know what other modes there are and if there's some single player campaign, yet.

Mokujin

Finally learned today that Motion Controls are not mandatory and standard controls can be used, really nice!

Really like the characters design and gameplay but couldn't see myself enjoying it much with motions.

Finally learned today that Motion Controls are not mandatory and standard controls can be used, really nice!

Really like the characters design and gameplay but couldn't see myself enjoying it much with motions.
You never know until you tried it. Many said the same thing for Splatoon and majority love gyro for Splatoon.

disco

Seems people are being more optimistic about this post-Splatoon success. I wondered whether people would scream Wonderful 101 doomed as soon as they unveiled it but it looks like that idea has dissipated.

Seems people are being more optimistic about this post-Splatoon success. I wondered whether people would scream Wonderful 101 doomed as soon as they unveiled it but it looks like that idea has dissipated.

I don't think we should really compare something like Wonderful 101 to Splatoon or ARMS.

See, despite being a 'new Nintendo IP', Wonderful 101 is, at its heart, a PlatinumGames developed title from top to bottom...which pretty much doomed it from having any sort of mainstream success right from the start. Splatoon and ARMS on the other hand are from Nintendo EAD/EPD, who generally have a far greater understanding of making games that appeal to a wider audience, considering they've created famous series like Super Mario, Mario Kart, Legend of Zelda, Wii __, Animal Crossing and now more recently, Splatoon.

Jintor

Yeah.

Platinum make great games. Insanely wonderful and deep games with a tonne of replay value and spectacle and hype.

But they are the very antithesis of pick-up-and-play imho

Maybe I'm interpreting how the punching mechanics work but it looks like you'd be gimping yourself if you play with a traditional controller? Can you aim your punches or do they follow a set trajectory relative to your camera's position and what kind of punch you throw?

NEO0MJ

Maybe I'm interpreting how the punching mechanics work but it looks like you'd be gimping yourself if you play with a traditional controller? Can you aim your punches or do they follow a set trajectory relative to your camera's position and what kind of punch you throw?

I thought you were locked on the opponent the whole time?
The way to curve the punches right now is dependent on when you turn the controller. The sooner you twist the more the trajectory of the punch will curve.

noshten

All Nintendo needs is to get Luffy licensing and put him in as DLC... that could easily take care of the marketing for this game

LuffyJetGatling.gif

Peléo

What are you even talking about? They're both on the box. The female character is punching the male one too.

Something interesting to notice is how the ARMS logo matches her Glove. Pretty sure this was intentional.

Great impressions. I'm glad everyone that has played is enjoying this game a lot.

About the grabs feeling cheap, did you guys know that punches break through them? You don't even need to dodge to counter it. Take a look at this timestamp:

https://youtu.be/lU6pMr1BKec?t=13m59s

V-Faction

Just like Fight Stick vs. Pad, I'd love to see competitive matches where a dedicated HD Rumble user goes up against a dedicated button user.

For those curious, at this point in fighting games being a pad user or fight stick user is completely inconsequential. The playing field is not determined by what controller you use, but instead by your skill+knowledge+execution. Pad users have won EVO titles, some have even used Keyboards, and some crazy players swap their left hands and right hands (what kind of insane person does that, certainly not a respectful or highly-recognized individual, no siree). I hope ARMS reaches that goal.

She's still on the box and punching Spring Man so why are you complaining <3

What are you even talking about? They're both on the box. The female character is punching the male one too.

It's more an ill-aimed jab at smash than Arms to be honest, hence me mentioning Corrin :p

This shit again.....

It's only in your mind. There is no gender issue in this game.
In arms? Sure, I actually pretty agree much with you. That's why I only bring it up when people start bringing up who should be in smash, but I guess I could've made the source of my snark clearer :3

Dude, why are you taking Geminosity seriously?
Why shouldn't they? ¬.¬

guek

Banned
I really think people are underestimating it. It won't be a total game changer, but it could be a really cool bonus.

Expect to see it in Sony's next console at least, much like the speaker on the Wiimote later appeared on the DS4. Microsoft would be smart to incorporate it too.

Blues1990

I'm on board for this game, as it looks like a blast to play and it's incredibly appealing (from a visual design standpoint).

Surprised that there haven't been any references to Nintendo's own Punch Out! series, as this game seems to take a number of core mechanics from that series.

So, Splatoon was made by Animal Crossing team, while ARMS is being developed by Mario Kart 8? Add in that Aonuma told that Nintendo has asked him to make a new IP, but he hasn't had time for it, it might be that Nintendo has been asking it's teams all around to come up with something new. Not all of them will ever get released, but that's the impression I got.
I'd say probably all of their major AAA studios have been given the same push.
This game has the potential to become the new Splatoon. It just needs the good amount of content, marketing and follow-up.
Agreed. It depends how the execution and marketing of this game plays out.

Doorman

I'm on board for this game, as it looks like a blast to play and it's incredibly appealing (from a visual design standpoint).

Surprised that there haven't been any references to Nintendo's own Punch Out! series, as this game seems to take a number of core mechanics from that series.

Honestly, outside of the "core mechanic" (sort of) of it being a boxing game...I'm not sure there's much to compare to. Punch-Out is a boss rush based in strong reactions, pattern recognition, and puzzle solving. ARMS is a 1v1 multiplayer-focused fighting game demanding more complex freeform movement, aiming attacks, and predicting, conditioning, and out-thinking a human opponent, just as you would in basically any fighting game. I know the Wii version of Punch-Out had a versus mode but ARMS is much different in its goals and its overall style. While I can understand the comparison being brought up, it ends up sounding to me like the talk of people wanting Splatoon to have random Super Mario Sunshine references in it rather than letting the IP breathe for itself.

...I will now turn around and openly admit my hypocrisy because I will likely be openly campaigning my hope that Sukapon from Joy Mech Fight makes an appearance in ARMS. If that game's never getting a revival, this is likely the closest I'm going to get, dammit!
latest

Regiruler

From the footage it looks like the airdash does not keep your height and continues whatever vertical momentum you had. Ninjara is an exception though.

Been noticing a lot of similarities between this lineup and the Wii's year one lineup.

Cross-generation Zelda title at launch.

Sequel to a fan-favorite shooter series that was born and became a hit the previous generation (Metroid Prime / Splatoon) in summer.

3D Mario title at Holiday with a wildly unexpected setting.

So where does ARMS fall into this?

It's a game that is easily dismissed at first- seems simple and perhaps cheap at first glance, but as people get hands on it reveals more depth and builds a rabbid fan base.

ARMS is the Switch's Excite Truck.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
The title HAS so much potential. I hope the team gets the appropriate resources to make it full of content and even pack a little flair in the presentation.

Was interested in the game but thought it was motion controls so not precise enough but with that annoucement I'm hyped as hell

Maybe EVO 2018 ?

Top Bottom