• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS - Nintendo Switch (Motion [optional] controlled boxing, Nintendo, Spring 2017)

Alrus

They haven't gone with Wii style advertising in years

I feel like the trailer was very Wii-era in its presentation actually. Emphasis on motion controls and real people being "into the game".

But they still have time and I'm sure (well I hope) that we'll see more contextualisation in the coming months.

Speely

Banned
This game will be a contender for GOTY 2017. At the risk of being overly-combative and annoying, I will avatar bet that Arms is a GOTY contender for at least two major pubs. Come at me.

Edit: At this point, I am just firing into the darkness.

Penguin

Emily Rogers suggested on Twitter and makes sense, hype/build-up should focus on revealing the characters and their stories.

If enough of them could maybe do like one a week or every other week. Maybe character and their stage.

They'll be fine. Splatoon was a great, GREAT new IP releasing on has-been hardware. Arms is releasing in a window that's very much more advantageous on fresh hardware.
Oh yeah I'm not worried. They have the advantage of brand new fresh hardware this time.

kbohs

I wasn't hugely interested in this after the trailer in the presentation but I think I've come around to being totally on board. Based on footage and impressions it appears that the motion controls work better than I would have thought and Splatoon really proved that Nintendo can knock it out of the park with new ip's. Glad to see we are getting this early in the Switch's life, hopefully more people pick it up because of this and the game/series gets supported by the big N.

Regiruler

I just noticed that an army hoodie that a schoolmate of mine has ARMY on the front in a yellow outline font...

And he's had this forever, before someone thinks he's a huge nerd or something. I think this may be a possible issue.

HyperHip

Are you able to follow up/combo after opponents get knocked into the ropes? Looks like something that would be possible if close enough.

Are you able to follow up/combo after opponents get knocked into the ropes? Looks like something that would be possible if close enough.

One thing I feel like we haven't seen much of is close quarters combat. Aside from grabs, which knock opponents away again, I haven't seen too much of people trying to close the distance between them and their opponents

Zesh

I'm interested in this as the gameplay looks solid, but I'm not sure if there will be enough content to justify the $60 price tag. I am somewhat tempted to give it a shot with the current Best Buy Visa Checkout promo, though.

noshten

2 years after Splatoon another new IP from Nintendo. With positive impressions about the depth from those who have played it, I'm intrigued

dcgd4j.gif

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a release date of April 28th, while this is slated for just Spring. Do ya'll think it's safe to assume that this is a May/June title? Wish we were getting it earlier, but I feel like it would have a date if it were.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has a release date of April 28th, while this is slated for just Spring. Do ya'll think it's safe to assume that this is a May/June title? Wish we were getting it earlier, but I feel like it would have a date if it were.

not sure. Nintendo stated that they didn't want any droughts so I'm expecting a steady stream. I'd say mid May.

not sure. Nintendo stated that they didn't want any droughts so I'm expecting a steady stream. I'd say mid May.

I get why they're doing that, but selfishly I wish these things were rolling out sooner. I'm most hyped for ARMS and Splatoon 2 and those are both slated for months later.

Probably the best choice in the long run, just wish we had a multiplayer companion for Zelda at launch

It's not coming past May. You can bet money on it.

HyperHip

One thing I feel like we haven't seen much of is close quarters combat. Aside from grabs, which knock opponents away again, I haven't seen too much of people trying to close the distance between them and their opponents

So looks like you actually can combo off the walls, so yeah CQC is gonna be interesting.

Harpoon

I get why they're doing that, but selfishly I wish these things were rolling out sooner. I'm most hyped for ARMS and Splatoon 2 and those are both slated for months later.

Probably the best choice in the long run, just wish we had a multiplayer companion for Zelda at launch

It's not Nintendo-developed, but there's always Super Bomberman R!

This stage really makes it look like the characters aren't exactly robots or amputees.

So, has it actually been confirmed that you can use buttons to play this? Only asking because it says motion control is optional in the title, but I haven't read any press releases confirming that.

The more I look at this game, the more I think that I don't mind the motion controls, but it'd be nice to truly know first.

So, has it actually been confirmed that you can use buttons to play this? Only asking because it says motion control is optional in the title, but I haven't read any press releases confirming that.

The more I look at this game, the more I think that I don't mind the motion controls, but it'd be nice to truly know first.

Yes, it was brought up explicitly during the Treehouse stream. It's mentioned at the 8 minute mark in this video.

Top Bottom