• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

DjRalford

Gp7 is a pile of shit, there is no way I should be getting out manoeuvred by master mummy, level of input reading is ridiculous as he's already countering before the fucking animation has started on the screen.

Bollocks!

Anti counter training is equally crap.

Edit-Finally beat anti counter training now, it took master mummy with a giga and launcher but I finally beat It.

Robiin

Ranked is fun. But stressful as fuck.

Rank 5 now, won most matches but facing 6 and up often goes to last match last hit.

DjRalford

Ranked is fun. But stressful as fuck.

Rank 5 now, won most matches but facing 6 and up often goes to last match last hit.

I found ranked fairly easy going, party mode extracts massive salt from me though, especially 1v1v1, I've only won one of those so far and I'm 0-4 on vball.

One thing I'm not liking in ranked is people disconnecting as they're about to lose, considering the rank loss is minimal it's pretty petty.

Robiin

I found ranked fairly easy going, party mode extracts massive salt from me though, especially 1v1v1, I've only won one of those so far and I'm 0-4 on vball.

One thing I'm not liking in ranked is people disconnecting as they're about to lose, considering the rank loss is minimal it's pretty petty.

I've grown really tired of the mini games, so I don't play party mode much since unlocking ranked yesterday.

Yeah I've had a few people disconnecting and the game just stops the match. Really weird considering in Party mode it gives the win to whoever is left connected. Should be a penalty.

Also, I need help choosing a complementary arm for when my Kid Cobra w/ Sparky+Popper combo doesn't work. I don't know what specifically I have trouble with yet to be honest, I suppose I need something versus good Ninjaras who are sneaky with their teleports. Any tips?

Sh0k

Is there a reason to go over Grand Prix mode after you beat level 4 and unlock Ranked mode? Also, can you unlock different start screens other than Spring Man?

Forkball

So why is the big yellow number above my characters on the selection screen?

That's what player you are. It changes to 2 if you are player two etc.

I tried out portable mode today... and honestly it's not bad at all. In fact I would say it has some advantages since it's easier to see certain arms like the tribolt. Sometimes on the TV it just looks like a mass of particle effects and wires flailing about. Using the default controls, there is some autoaim, so its definitely playable.

Also Mechanica is currently S-tier in the eSports volleyball meta.

heringer

I'm at work right now and this game is all I can think about. And I haven't even finished Zelda!

I think I like it more than Mario Kart. Crazy, I know.

Crash331

What's the best way to earn money for the Get Arms game? I have like 30 and I feel like I've played lot.

Play versus v-ball against helix with dual defenders. Use someone fast like ribbon girl with poppers. Set the difficulty to 6. You get 3 coins per match and I can usually get a point on each serve.

Forkball

What's the best way to earn money for the Get Arms game? I have like 30 and I feel like I've played lot.

The fastest way I've seen is this:

+Go to training with two players (use both joy cons)
+Do the movement tutorials
+Pick one character when the test match starts
+Pummel the opponent
+Rematch

The actual fight takes about 13-15 seconds if you time it right, and you get two coins per round (one for each player). Try to pick an arm that does a lot of damage for your main character, and pick Master Mummy as the opponent as he won't flinch and get knocked down as much. This is crazy repetitive, but if you are hard up for coins, it's worth a shot.

TheMink

I really feel like Dissidia fans will really like this game, as a Dissidia fan myself. I like very similar things about it.

jts

...hate me...
I'm at work right now and this game is all I can think about. And I haven't even finished Zelda!

I think I like it more than Mario Kart. Crazy, I know.
I'm also liking it more than Mario Kart if I'm honest. Although to that notion it helps that Mario Kart 8 feels a bit old by now, Deluxe or not.

How do you hit a Helix squishing onto the ground?
Can you?

This is bullshit this Helix I played online just jumped and squished over and over and it was almost impossible to hit him.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
How do you hit a Helix squishing onto the ground?
Can you?

This is bullshit this Helix I played online just jumped and squished over and over and it was almost impossible to hit him.

image.php

This avatar/web comic still cracks me up every time I see it.

DjRalford

I've grown really tired of the mini games, so I don't play party mode much since unlocking ranked yesterday.

Yeah I've had a few people disconnecting and the game just stops the match. Really weird considering in Party mode it gives the win to whoever is left connected. Should be a penalty.

Also, I need help choosing a complementary arm for when my Kid Cobra w/ Sparky+Popper combo doesn't work. I don't know what specifically I have trouble with yet to be honest, I suppose I need something versus good Ninjaras who are sneaky with their teleports. Any tips?

The revolver / retorcher type arms would probably work well against ninjara, the arm is fast and using one arm to force a side rush you know where he'll reappear and can hit with the second barrage from the other arm.

Coins, practice, fun :)

Edit: seen a few common questions recurring, anybody may wanna check if any of this is helpful! http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=241267668&postcount=3801

Great stuff as usual Hawkian.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Really don't wanna play online anymore until they fix queuing up with 2 players.

The lack of 2v2 games in a lobby full of pairs is inexcusable Nintendo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Dragon can punish ninjara pretty good.

dawgparty

You guys think this game would be a good choice for me and my boyfriend(a somewhat casual gamer dude)? He's into some fighting games but doesn't ever really want to check moves or delve too deep into it, is this easy enough to learn?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Great stuff as usual Hawkian.
:3
So are people jumping into ranked regardless of old arms?
What do you mean regardless of old arms?
You guys think this game would be a good choice for me and my boyfriend(a somewhat casual gamer dude)? He's into some fighting games but doesn't ever really want to check moves or delve too deep into it, is this easy enough to learn?
It's definitely got that easy-to-learn-tough-to-master thingee.

I think you two could have a blast just hanging out in Party Mode (the online variety/unranked lobby)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I love Monster Mummy. Found my character! Baiting people to try and grab you when you are shielded and healing up never gets old.

JambiBum

The higher your rank the more coins you get for ranked matches. I'm at rank 9 right now and getting 9 coins for a win and 10 for a perfect. Only get 2 if you lose though.

Beat level 4 GP yesterday, I'm still amazed at how much of a git Ninjara was in that mode, Hedlok and Brass were small time by comparison in regards to how the CPU can abuse its powers.

Still have little idea which character I'm gravitating towards or Arms, I guess I'm comfortable saying light arms are off my list, not my jam.
Enjoy heavy arms but I suspect they'll be blindingly obvious most of the time.
Can't quite grasp how to best use Mechanica so I'm leaning towards Min Min right now.

pdk27

Just Beat Level 4 GP with Twintelle. Ninjara was the toughest match. Man, it feels good to get better at this game. That credit music was pretty good too.

Enjoy heavy arms but I suspect they'll be blindingly obvious most of the time.

I often pair a megaton/megawatt with a lighter arm used for harassment (ramram, slamamander, sparky, etc). They're pretty good as counterpunch defense tools. Less effective if the opponent is using double arms that can attack from the side, though.

Barrett2

Very fun game, quibbles aside (music) it's hitting sweet spot for me.

Definite difficulty spike at level 4. I get feeling I just need to play a lot at this level to improve my reaction time / discipline.

Any consensus on good arms to unlock first?

I often pair a megaton/megawatt with a lighter arm used for harassment (ramram, slamamander, sparky, etc). They're pretty good as counterpunch defense tools. Less effective if the opponent is using double arms that can attack from the side, though.

This makes sense, I like the idea of slamamander on the side.
Now to pray to the god of loot drops for the ARMS getter.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hate my life, lol I meant plus arms but auto correct messed that up and I posted without double checking.
Definitely. I could be wrong (not at a high level yet) but Plus arms don't make that much impact IMO, more of a completionist thing. You only get one upgrade per Arms, and they give:

+10 base damage, +5 throw damage on a select few arms (the Heavies other than Blorb)
Possible slight speed increase to some arms
No change to Rush damage

Very rarely enough to make the difference between win or lose.

Nico_D

Yeah, I regularly equip Sparky and Megawatt as Ribbon Girl. The third arm changes based on what I feel I need and want: triblast, popper, ramram and likely others as I open them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know if I will get tired of it quickly but I really like party mode. The way it is paced is kind of genius.
Right? I hope it gets some love from DLC/live support

I love how it can go from utter bullshit 3v1 hedlok coop to tense, fair straight 1v1 at a moment's notice.

Luigi87

Definitely. I could be wrong (not at a high level yet) but Plus arms don't make that much impact IMO, more of a completionist thing. You only get one upgrade per Arms, and they give:

+10 base damage, +5 throw damage on a select few arms (the Heavies other than Blorb)
Possible slight speed increase to some arms
No change to Rush damage

Very rarely enough to make the difference between win or lose.
Oh perfect. Honestly the only reason I haven't jumped into ranked yet.

I've only tried a couple of times, but I can't even win my first Grand Prix game at level 4. I think the majority of people buying this game will never get to see Ranked mode. I doubt I'll get past level 3. It's too difficult.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Oh snap Hawkian up in here. Your Destiny guides and tips were top notch. Will read when I get the chance.
Thanks a ton man. I'm quite taken with this game lol
I've only tried a couple of times, but I can't even win my first Grand Prix game at level 4. I think the majority of people buying this game will never get to see Ranked mode. I doubt I'll get past level 3. It's too difficult.
So instead of struggling against a wall on 4, I suggest replaying 3 or even 2 with the character you want to improve with, until you can easily clear those without losing a match.

4 is a huge difficulty spike, it definitely makes you prepare. But as someone who considered 4 extremely difficult the first time through, with multiple retries on every fight, I can now make short work of most fights in it with multiple characters. It's actually kind of amazing how much of a difference you will feel over time if you stick with it.

GP4 is also the right time to start considering your Arms selection and mastering your character's gimmick(s). Who are you using?

I lost to match 1 at least 12 times and at least 3 times for everybody else up to the last boss and i died at least 20.

I then turned around and trounced level 5 with ribbon girl and ninjara no problem all with standard arms.

Believe.

RedFury

I lost to match 1 at least 12 times and at least 3 times for everybody else up to the last boss and i died at least 20.

I then turned around and trounced level 5 with ribbon girl and ninjara no problem all with standard arms.

Believe.
I feel like first go your fighting the controls (and losing) more than you are your opponent. Once everything "clicks" your opponent is a low speed bump.

This was me at the beginning of the day when I bought the game, and then at the end of the day I had beaten rank 4. There's a bit of a first day learning curve but stick with it.

Top Bottom