• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ARMS |OT| (’-‘)-------------

Theswweet

Any tips for intermediate punches? Cant hit ribbon girl

Ribbon Girl is tricky since she has such easy access to mid-air combat. however when she's in the air it should actually be easier for you to hit her, since she won't be able to react as fast.

If what has been tripping you up is her grab-spamming, make sure you only have one arm out at a time when fighting, and keep your distance. If you can dodge her grabs, take that opportunity to throw one back at her.

heringer

Just fought a Min Min with a mean double ramram. We fought like 5 times and I only managed to bet her in the last fight by learning to use parry. Parry is awesome! Great against aggressive fighters putting pressure on you from both sides.

Max just knows how to distract his opponents

tumblr_orm2h5nTbf1v2pzzno1_500.gif

Also his name is the best pun(s) in the game so far

I... I don't get it.

I feel so dumb.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Start off by feeling better! That's a rough matchup :D

To beat Ribbon Girl with Min Min I went double Ramrams and played super aggresive and tried to push her into corners. Also you better have that dragon arm going 100% of the time playa ;)

Glix

Really hoping to get in a GAF room with you guys tonight.

But I will have to tear myself away from Nex Machina, which I have been champing at the bit for.

(Do powered up Arms carry over to ranked? That seems crazy)

Kyzer

Banned
Ribbon Girl is tricky since she has such easy access to mid-air combat. however when she's in the air it should actually be easier for you to hit her, since she won't be able to react as fast.

If what has been tripping you up is her grab-spamming, make sure you only have one arm out at a time when fighting, and keep your distance. If you can dodge her grabs, take that opportunity to throw one back at her.

Start off by feeling better! That's a rough matchup :D

To beat Ribbon Girl with Min Min I went double Ramrams and played super aggresive and tried to push her into corners. Also you better have that dragon arm going 100% of the time playa ;)

Cool! Thanks for the tips, I guess choosing the right arms is always important

jts

...hate me...
Curious about picking this up, I'm not huge on fighting games and the test punch didn't instill much in me..how fun is it for pick up and play like MK8?
Party Match is extremely fun to just pick up and play. The different modes, the lobby rivalries, the short matches, the coins going up.

But YMMV. And Party Match was already what you played in the testpunch... except it's now complete, with more modes included and a handicap system in place (and with more fighters and arms to pick).

Definitely feel like it's a game you have to want to play though. It's pretty beginner friendly, even for someone like me that doesn't play fighting games, but there's still a learning curve. If the game didn't click with you during the testpunch, but you want to give it a second chance... at least go with physical, in case you regret it.

Tenki

Three days ago I struggled to beat GP level 3 and 4. Today I beat level 7 just losing one round.

It's so easy with Min Min and a Dragon on the left arm.

DCyQKluV0AA2h4m.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
(Do powered up Arms carry over to ranked? That seems crazy)
I think they do, but they actually don't make that much impact. Pretty minor stat improvements. I was wary at first as well but after looking into it meh.
I lost against Min Min on difficulty 3 of the Grand Prix four times in a row.

What could I be doing wrong?
Who are you using, with what Arms?

Don't feel shame about going back to GP2 by the way if you feel like you're not making any progress. You should be able to basically wipe the floor with all the enemies on a GP level before moving on, not just beat it by scraping by.

Glix

The big level up moment for me was when I stopped trying to force the agenda. Read, react, poke with ONE ARM at a time not both.

Get really strong with your characters quirks and traversal options.

Try out some different arm configurations if you haven't yet.

DrDogg

Thing is, Twintelle seems so much less threatening the more I play against her. She seems more threatening on the ground with just the threat of her having the air dodge thing keeping you on your toes. With Ribbon Girl if she's jumping so much it's predictable when she's going to land, she can be punished. She's still really tough though.

Aerial Twintelle in your face is probably the best rush down in the game. After a knockdown I will start the air slow down just as the opponent is getting up. At this point they can't attack because it's an instant slow down > dodge > counter punch > knock down to reset the situation. So they have to either stand there (meaning I get a point blank throw they can't react to) or they dash to either side, which I can also punish if I want to take a risk and guess correctly which side they'll dash to.

Most of the times I beat Gore it was because I landed a knock down and was able to move in for rush down aerial Twintelle.

Any talk as to how TO's plan to run ARMS tournaments?

BYO Switch? No arms customisation? Must use default character Arms?

Looks like it will be default Arms at the very least. Valle is asking people to bring Switch consoles to WNF if they decide to go with Arms, but I think that's only because few TOs have a good number of Switch consoles (for obvious reasons).

I do expect the default Arms situation to remain that way for some time though, if not for the tournament life of the game. You may see some special tournaments that allow any Arms, but that probably won't be the standard.

Chilla guarantees the opponent can't move for a much longer period of time then Sparky's, and if you land hits on a frozen player they won't fall over from knockdown so you can keep laying into them if they don't block. From my playing, not a lot of players know you can block while frozen. If they do block, which a good player will do then you get the throw, plus +10 damage compared to Sparkys. The point though is there is far more potential to rack up a lot of damage and keep the player under a lot more pressure then wake up does. Do you see the risk/reward part of its design? This has worked really well for me, at least. Most of the time the frozen player tries to attack as I get closer to them, but since I can dodge around them and they can't move or turn around they are wide open for more punishment.

It's really not that much longer "stun" time between the Chillas and Sparky. While you may tag novice players, that's not really how you should judge what's good in this game. With a Sparky I get guaranteed follow-up from almost any distance.

With Chilla nothing is guaranteed at all. Even if you're right on the opponent, they can still break your throw, meaning you take damage. If you don't throw and they just block, you get nothing. And if you're not at point blank range it's easy to break a throw on reaction, meaning you get nothing and you likely took damage from the throw break.

I also don't see the risk/reward here. There's zero risk with Sparky and I get guaranteed throw damage. With Chilla against a good opponent I get nothing guaranteed, risk taking damage if I go for a throw outside of point blank range and at best land that throw damage.

So at best you get +10 damage at point blank range if they opponent didn't read a throw was coming and at worst you take 70+ damage for the throw interrupt. I still don't see this how you're landing multiple hits on a skilled player unless you're point blank and they mistakenly read you're going to throw (and try to break it).

Anyone know if the Charged Dragon beam counts as Medium or what?

Dragon is medium at all times. Both the laser and the dragon head. However, the laser tends to ignore some Arms like the Megaton. Seems to just go right through it for some reason.

Deft Beck

I think they do, but they actually don't make that much impact. Pretty minor stat improvements. I was wary at first as well but after looking into it meh.

Who are you using, with what Arms?

Don't feel shame about going back to GP2 by the way if you feel like you're not making any progress. You should be able to basically wipe the floor with all the enemies on a GP level before moving on, not just beat it by scraping by.

Spring Man, and I pretty much pick the ARMS at random.

I would rather be playing as Ninjara, though I tried level 4 with him at first and got trounced in the first match.

The big level up moment for me was when I stopped trying to force the agenda. Read, react, poke with ONE ARM at a time not both.

Get really strong with your characters quirks and traversal options.

Try out some different arm configurations if you haven't yet.

Agenda?

Glix

I would rather be playing as Ninjara, though I tried level 4 with him at first and got trounced in the first match.

Agenda?

Like being aggressive I guess. Trying to force certain moves or setups. Basically ignoring the opponent and trying to force my agenda.

After like 15 tries on Brass Man at lvl4 I started watching his arms much more that I had up to that point and it helped my game a ton.

Sorry if this is unclear

Aerial Twintelle in your face is probably the best rush down in the game. After a knockdown I will start the air slow down just as the opponent is getting up. At this point they can't attack because it's an instant slow down > dodge > counter punch > knock down to reset the situation. So they have to either stand there (meaning I get a point blank throw they can't react to) or they dash to either side, which I can also punish if I want to take a risk and guess correctly which side they'll dash to.

Most of the times I beat Gore it was because I landed a knock down and was able to move in for rush down aerial Twintelle.

Looks like it will be default Arms at the very least. Valle is asking people to bring Switch consoles to WNF if they decide to go with Arms, but I think that's only because few TOs have a good number of Switch consoles (for obvious reasons).

I do expect the default Arms situation to remain that way for some time though, if not for the tournament life of the game. You may see some special tournaments that allow any Arms, but that probably won't be the standard.

It's really not that much longer "stun" time between the Chillas and Sparky. While you may tag novice players, that's not really how you should judge what's good in this game. With a Sparky I get guaranteed follow-up from almost any distance.

With Chilla nothing is guaranteed at all. Even if you're right on the opponent, they can still break your throw, meaning you take damage. If you don't throw and they just block, you get nothing. And if you're not at point blank range it's easy to break a throw on reaction, meaning you get nothing and you likely took damage from the throw break.

I also don't see the risk/reward here. There's zero risk with Sparky and I get guaranteed throw damage. With Chilla against a good opponent I get nothing guaranteed, risk taking damage if I go for a throw outside of point blank range and at best land that throw damage.

So at best you get +10 damage at point blank range if they opponent didn't read a throw was coming and at worst you take 70+ damage for the throw interrupt. I still don't see this how you're landing multiple hits on a skilled player unless you're point blank and they mistakenly read you're going to throw (and try to break it).

Dragon is medium at all times. Both the laser and the dragon head. However, the laser tends to ignore some Arms like the Megaton. Seems to just go right through it for some reason.

I'm available if you want more Helix with different arms practice

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

I admit to knowing probably less about Spring Man than any other character, sorry. :( Armswise, something that hits fast is a good idea for her.
He means to just play a bit more conservative. Watch what she does, try and interrupt/punish some throws see if you can get the hang of her opening when she lands from jumping.

Dragoshi1

Okay, now I'm finding it difficult to win compared to the first few days.

How the heck do you counter jump>dodge players? I find that on the ground, my ARMS don't go upwards towards them at all, just flailing under them.

When I jump, I still can't hit them as they're busy mashing that Y button raw.

It's getting frustrating, as nothing I do seems to work now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Actually forgot you were talking min min rather than Ribbon girl. Try equpping your fastest arms and rush the crap out of her. If she makes distance again go for the wide throw and then close the gap.

Shahadan

I... I don't get it.

I feel so dumb.

Brass is a shiny metal alloy like all the gaudy shit he's wearing
"Top Brass" is a way to qualify people of the highest positions (usually in the military because then they're highly decorated)
Max = top

Basically he's wearing a lot of metal and he's the undefeated champion of the world of arms.
Maxi shiny, maxi important

Max Brass

Iirc brass is also rather fragile so there's the idea that all his flashiness and muscle are mostly for show and he's rather shallow and weak.
A lot of things in a single name, and it fits him well imo *shrugs*

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ninjara is my match up. I can beat any character but it just can't figure it out.

I barely touch him.
Who are you using?

He is designed to make you panic and do dumb things, but everything he can do has a reasonable counter
"Top Brass" is a way to qualify people of the highest positions
Max = top

Basically he's wearing a lot of metal and he's the undefeated champion of the world of arms.

Max Brass
cute heh. How do his bulging pectorals fit into all this

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Ok, I can confirm you CAN do a wide grab with regular controls, nice. It's a bit tricky to pull off consistently, though.
Can you explain the technique a bit so I can put it into the guide in more helpful language maybe?

I felt totally inadequate writing that part because I'd never tried it and don't understand the stick/button input myself.

JambiBum

Gore, I do have one question about helix. If you are on even terrain, how are you supposed to hit helix when he ducks or is it not really possible? If the terrain allows it you can just move lower and the crouch isn't really a problem but if not then it is.

"Top Brass" is a way to qualify people of the highest positions (usually in the military because then they're highly decorated)
Max = top

Max Brass

Iirc brass is also rather fragile so there's the idea that all his flashiness and muscle are mostly for show and he's rather shallow and weak.
A lot of things in a single name, and it fits him well imo *shrugs*

Ah, gotcha! I didn't realize that "top brass" was an expression.

Gore, I do have one question about helix. If you are on even terrain, how are you supposed to hit helix when he ducks or is it not really possible? If the terrain allows it you can just move lower and the crouch isn't really a problem but if not then it is.

It's not particularly possible unless using arms like the whammer or parasol but even then he can puddle to the side as opposed to under it. The best tactic for a puddle is to have an aerial advantage but you have to be careful since he can dash or jump or air dash so it's tricky, best shot to hit Helix over all is while he's dashing in the air, if you allow him to hit the ground he can puddle and do multiple things from there.

JambiBum

It's not particularly possible unless using arms like the whammer or parasol but even then he can puddle to the side as opposed to under it. The best tactic for a puddle is to have an aerial advantage but you have to be careful since he can dash or jump or air dash so it's tricky, best shot to hit Helix over all is while he's dashing in the air, if you allow him to hit the ground he can puddle and do multiple things from there.
Yeah that's what I thought but thanks. I've only had a couple of helixs give me issues where they stay in puddle form more than I expect and I can't hit them unless I have low ground.

heringer

Can you explain the technique a bit so I can put it into the guide in more helpful language maybe?

I felt totally inadequate writing that part because I'd never tried it and don't understand the stick/button input myself.

Whooof, I don't think I can explain it very well, especially because english is not my first language, but I can try.

Basically you punch to one side and immediately after that you punch with the other arm to the other side while still holding the button of the other arm. It's all done in a very quick motion. You need to be very fast to change the stick's direction and push the other button otherwise you will just throw two punches in different directions.

If you get the timing just right your grab can go just as wide as with motion.

heringer

Do you guys feel the triggers on the Switch are super fragile? I hate the clicky nature of it, and I'm almost afraid that it will inevitably break if I use it too much. This is why I'm using A and B to punch, which is not ideal.

Guys!!! Im super happy my wife just bought me ARMS as a father's day gift!!!! Wohoooo I can't wait play it.

Nice! I'd say to wife her... But you already did that... So... Re-wife her!

My birthday is in less than a week, so I hope my wife surprises me with this :]

I'm starting to like ranked more than party mode. Better matches and when you lose, you don't lose that many points. So I'm not really stressing.

Raysoul

I was able to cheese out a level 4 Helix using Triblast. It doesn't matter what stance he is, the post explosion always catch him. Would try it on higher difficulty.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Whooof, I don't think I can explain it very well, especially because english is not my first language, but I can try.

Basically you punch to one side and immediately after that you punch with the other arm to the other side while still holding the button of the other arm. It's all done in a very quick motion. You need to be very fast to change the stick's direction and push the other button otherwise you will just throw two punches in different directions.

If you get the timing just right your grab can go just as wide as with motion.
Thanks, I will just copy your description if that's okay! Seems like it might help people who understand the controls.
Do you guys feel the triggers on the Switch are super fragile? I hate the clicky nature of it, and I'm almost afraid that it will inevitably break if I use it too much. This is why I'm using A and B to punch, which is not ideal.
I dunno but I have thrown my joycon at the wall twice by accident :X
I was able to cheese out a level 4 Helix using Triblast. It doesn't matter what stance he is, the post explosion always catch him. Would try it on higher difficulty.
If I may, the CPU doesn't know what it's doing with Helix :p

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Did level 1 GP with uh...The robot cop and dog. I can't quite get a feel for "curving my punch" correctly. It sort of just goes wherever.

Is there a list of what the arms do and what each character does?

correojon

Just tried Kid Cobra on GP and was pleasantly surprised at his spin on the basic mechanics: his dash is slow but his jump is fast, so contrarily to the rest of the cast you should jump to avoid attacks. BUT if you charge your fists your dash becomes faster, you can quickly dash several times in succession as long as your fists are charged (2-4 times) and you can even slide under enemy attacks if you dash forward. As landing from a jump automatically charges your fists, you end up forcibly mixing jumps and quick dashes if you want to stay mobile, with the added benefit of always having a charged punch ready. I loved playing as him and could easily beat GP4, even Hedlok fell easier than I expected.

I also tried standard controls today and have mixed feelings about them; there's some autoaiming which made my normal punches connect more than with motion controls, but you loose a lot of precission when you need to make some tight aiming. Overall I think it has an edge over motion controls, but only tested it in GP5. Also, I find motion controls much more fun to use, so I think I'll keep on using them.

I've been playing GP mostly with different characters, GP4 is a cakewalk until the semifinals where usually Springman forces me to really use my characters special skills. Max Brass is easier and Hedlok is the real test. It's great how everytime I go through GP I do much better than the last time, even with a new character. I'm loving this game!

Top Bottom