• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Artbooks - The Best And The Worst

Dark Horse is releasing The Art of Metal Gear Solid I-IV on May 8, 2018.

It's gonna be 800 pages, hardcover, and probably collect all of Shinkawa's work on the series.
1OHgGJz.jpg

Rnr1224

Got a question for everyone here, I am a fan of art books and design works in general. Ive picked up some of the essential books with some of the bigger game series but i'm looking for stuff that is more design focused and includes early design drafts and even some text about why the character was designed that way and such. Any books that do this particularly well?

So far I've found that the Persona 4 artbook has done it the best that i have found but i wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were.

eefara

Hey there gang!

Matt here, Director of Publishing at UDON. Caught that you were chatting about UDON art books.

Happy to join in if you have any questions, suggestions, concerns about any of our projects. Just let me know! I'll keep an eye on this thread to check if there's something to respond to.

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

Oooh, great to see a representative! Udon seems to have fallen off the map lately; I don't think the website's been updated in forever. :

Are you guys still working on a release for the Persona Q and Bayonetta 2 artbooks? And do you know if there's any chance you guys pick up the Devil Survivor 2 artbook? I figure it's a"no" on DeSu2, but I have to ask. :(

Hey there gang!

Matt here, Director of Publishing at UDON. Caught that you were chatting about UDON art books.

Happy to join in if you have any questions, suggestions, concerns about any of our projects. Just let me know! I'll keep an eye on this thread to check if there's something to respond to.

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

Any chance of the MMZ: Complete Works getting another reprint? Last one completely passed me by.

gaiages

Banned
I always love it when this thread comes up :D Gaming artbooks are my #1 favorite gift to get, because it's that sort of thing I don't always have money for but always have a wishlist of, lol.

This year I'm going to splurge a bit on myself for Christmas, and buy the two Cook and Becker books (Sonic the Hedgehog and Final Fantasy XV). Just the Standard editions, though, I'm not that rich lol.

Does anyone have the elusive Mega Man Zero art book? How is it? I desperately want it for my collection.

Any chance of a reprint, MattMoylan? :p

That's Prima.

I bought it for my ex as a gift back when it was... normally priced and I flipped through it myself. I really liked it!

Now I'm sad I don't have it since it goes for a lot of money :( At least it looks like we'll get some sort of reprint for it :)

It's gonna be 800 pages, hardcover, and probably collect all of Shinkawa's work on the series.

Oh my, I think I need that in my life. Not want, need.

ZoronMaro

*sweats*
I've always wanted a Yoji Shinkawa artbook, all the ones I can find are hard to find, or if you do find them they're super expensive. Although this also is pretty steep, but it's 800 pages and "concept and key art" sounds exactly like what I've always wanted.

Thanks for the heads up.

Hey there gang!

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

Hi Matt. Any chance to see a reprint of Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive?

Got a question for everyone here, I am a fan of art books and design works in general. Ive picked up some of the essential books with some of the bigger game series but i'm looking for stuff that is more design focused and includes early design drafts and even some text about why the character was designed that way and such. Any books that do this particularly well?

So far I've found that the Persona 4 artbook has done it the best that i have found but i wanted to know what everyone else's thoughts were.

Deus Ex universe to in details within character design iterations.

Journey's artbook too... its incredible to read how much was done, rework, scrapped, though out and in the end all you see is sand...

dreamfall

Shinkawa's art is so beautiful. Putting that preorder in before I miss it - it's awesome they've collected so much of his art on the series and placed it in one collection.

DemWalls

Hey there gang!

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

The answer may be obvious, but anyway... can we expect you guys to bring DS III Design Works over here?

bwolfman

Neo Member
I like you Junior.

I always loved the Assassin's Creed ones. Im not a fan enough to buy them but they always look so dense and the art is great. I love the details on the costumes and accessories.

How's Alan Wake Illuminated ? Never heard of this. I had to google it.

Nice collection !

I do quite enjoy Alan Wake Illuminated, it's not just pictures of the art and concept, it also features insight into why certain styles and choices were made with commentary from the crew working on the game

Does anyone have the elusive Mega Man Zero art book? How is it? I desperately want it for my collection.

Any chance of a reprint, MattMoylan? :p

It Rocks ;)

You will want to pickup a copy as soon as you find a fairly priced one, cheers

MattMoylan

Neo Member
Is there any reason why your website hasn't updated for so long? I liked going there to see what's coming up from you guys. I feel like it's been a while since you announced something new, or maybe that's just me?

As a wishful suggestion, I'm hoping to see you guys release the Ace Attorney 6 artbook. I bought the others and I'd love to add this to the collection.

The website is something we have neglected, it's one of our priorities to fix it up now that convention season is over. Though for the time being you may want to follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more regular updates.

AA6, on our radar. AA5 art book didn't do huge numbers, it was just fine. So maybe but, we've got some other Capcom art book priorities first .

Are you guys still working on a release for the Persona Q and Bayonetta 2 artbooks? And do you know if there's any chance you guys pick up the Devil Survivor 2 artbook? I figure it's a"no" on DeSu2, but I have to ask. :(

Persona Q is largely done, it's in the queue to be wrapped up and scheduled for release.

Bayonetta 2 has been a long road, its' been stalled for a while but will still pushing to get around some roadblocks. The first book had a similar rough road.

Devil Survivor 2, we actually do have teh rights but, it's a low priority behind a lto of other projects we need to complete.

Any chance of the MMZ: Complete Works getting another reprint? Last one completely passed me by.

Mentione above but, bery likely. Look for an announcement of another similar project by end of the year for how MMZ will probably return.

Hi Matt. Any chance to see a reprint of Valkyria Chronicles: Design Archive?

That one we are still debating. It sold well but over a long time, and slowly died down at the end of our stock. But good to know there soem interest still.

The answer may be obvious, but anyway... can we expect you guys to bring DS III Design Works over here?

Can't officially announce anything, YET. Soon...

Sooo, I got this for my birthday. After reading it, I experienced the biggest case of regret ever. I sold my Wii U the day Splatoon was out. I sleeped on this game, and I'm just discovering the greatness of the design, universe, artstyle and everything from it, thanks to this book. I feel like it's a spiritual sequel of one of my fave games of all time, Jet Set Radio. Everything scream Dreamcast in this artbook.
The book in itself is pretty big, probably the biggest of my collection. It has everything, chara designs, items, backgrounds, concept arts, a ton of little notes about the conception of stuff, etc. Really really love this book, can't recommend it enough. I'm not buying any game until I save enough money for a Switch and Splatoon 2 now, that's how good this artbook is!

eefara

Persona Q is largely done, it's in the queue to be wrapped up and scheduled for release.

Bayonetta 2 has been a long road, its' been stalled for a while but will still pushing to get around some roadblocks. The first book had a similar rough road.

Devil Survivor 2, we actually do have teh rights but, it's a low priority behind a lto of other projects we need to complete.

Good, great, and excellent! I guess my only real concern now is when you guys can get your website back up. I don't use Facebook, and your Twitter just spams my feed with stuff I'm not interested in (sorry).

Hey there gang!

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

Oh yes, now where you ask.

I was looking a few pages back where I posted my collection inclusive the new and unfortunately disappointing Bloodborne Artbook and I would like to know.... Why? What happened there? No hardcover anymore, looks and feels very cheap, the cover, the paper, no text in it, very barebone and on top it was way more expensive than the other 2 artbooks.

Almost everyone in this thread here was massively disappointed. What went wrong?

I wonder how baller/limited the Limited Edition of this release will be.

Hey there gang!

Thanks all!

-Matt Moylan

Hey Matt! I love the Fate/stay night complete material books. How are those going? Any interest internally on publishing the Fate/Grand Order Material books as well? ;;>_>

Lighting in my room is super extra trash so I can't get any good pics of the book. Of note is a crazy amount of promotional art for GR1 and 2, insane amounts of beautiful environmental concept art, and all the issues of the mini comicstrip series Gravity Days.

Spacebar

I was looking a few pages back where I posted my collection inclusive the new and unfortunately disappointing Bloodborne Artbook and I would like to know.... Why? What happened there? No hardcover anymore, looks and feels very cheap, the cover, the paper, no text in it, very barebone and on top it was way more expensive than the other 2 artbooks.

Almost everyone in this thread here was massively disappointed. What went wrong?

This. I've got a few Udon books and they've always been solid. I held off on Bloodbourne after hearing some reviews.

This. I've got a few Udon books and they've always been solid. I held off on Bloodbourne after hearing some reviews.

Already explained in the previous page.

Would have loved to make it a hardcover version like Dark Souls, but unfortunately the JP publisher did not give us the rights to upgrade the book that way. That said, even for a softcover we agree it's still a little floppier than we'd prefer. Being such a thick book helps a bit, but we'll probably not use that paper stock for future books.

80 bucks, I already 3 of those 4 game artbooks...but Snake Eater never got an official one and hell, considering how much Shinkawa's art books go for these days, this is a good deal. Might as well pick it up for those reasons...though I wish it also had Peace Walker, I regret missing out on that one.

1upsuper

I bought it for my ex as a gift back when it was... normally priced and I flipped through it myself. I really liked it!

Now I'm sad I don't have it since it goes for a lot of money :( At least it looks like we'll get some sort of reprint for it :)

It Rocks ;)

You will want to pickup a copy as soon as you find a fairly priced one, cheers

Thanks. I'll definitely buy it when/if it gets a reprint soon...

Mieu

@Matt of UDON
Thanks for responding back. I hope we get reprints of the elusive and expensive artbooks we've been clamoring for.

Any plans to reprint the Marvel Vs Capcom artbook? I only have a digital copy on my PS4

Can't seem to find that gravity rush artbook in amazon. Are there a lot of japanese text?

Hopefully they don't have the trouble that they've had with the Venture Bros. artbook. They've been working on it for four or five years.

I didn't even know about that one until I saw it on Amazon today. Though they seem to have gotten the Rick & Morty artbook out fine. Maybe the issue isn't with Dark Horse.

This is an awesome thread! The only artbook I own is the one for The Last of Us. Though I do have that small book that came with the MGS Legacy Collection and the LE Kingdom Hearts 1.5 artbook case.

Voror

Really glad to hear the Persona 4 book is getting a reprint. I got the one for 3 a bit ago and really liked it. Glad to hear there's interest in bringing the JP P5 art book too.

I'll echo those on the MMZ art book. First one I ever got from a Barnes and Noble way back when. One of my favorites.

Top Bottom