• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed III: Liberation |OT| VITA LA REVOLUTION

Is it just me or is this game shaping up to be disappointment of the year? It looks very pretty but it's a technical and design mess. I was so damn sure this was going to be good, and the main character seemed so cool. :(

Mass effect 3 and Diablo 3 came out this year :p

I think for what they have pulled off on a handheld, it seems to be pretty good. Hopefully it gets a sequel and they can refine some of the design.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Is it just me or is this game shaping up to be disappointment of the year? It looks very pretty but it's a technical and design mess. I was so damn sure this was going to be good, and the main character seemed so cool. :(

While I still like it, I can see this joining Gravity Rush as one of the most disappointing games of the year.

OmegaZero

Damnit... I must not be playing right, I can not disarm, counter, or fight worth a shit in this game. I want to like/enjoy you ACL!!!! Why won't you let me love you!?!?!?!!

The counter window is pretty early. Press O when you see the red triangle appear over the enemy's head.
Holding O will allow you to block, which effectively makes you unbeatable against standard enemies.

I don't understand the logic of this world... at all.

Interestingly enough, hooligans tried to attack me and one pushed me while I was in front of a guard. The guards then proceeded to attack and kill the unlucky dude while the other two split up and ran away.
When I went up to the guards, they attacked me but then stood still (in their idle stance) until I went next to them again.

While I still like it, I can see this joining Gravity Rush as one of the most disappointing games of the year.

People had high expectations for this though? This is suppose to stand up to the console versions which has a team that is probably 10x the size of the folks working on this game.

I'm just pleased that it isn't complete doodoo.

Story is probably the worst of any game i've played this year, mainly because i have zero fuck of a clue about anything.

OmegaZero

Gravity Rush and this are actually quite similar.
Both have great visuals and animations, an interesting female protagonist and shallow gameplay mechanics coupled with an open world.

Chesskid1

Banned
how do you beat the guys that roll over your back when you counter them

ive been using guns/smoke bomb for them but how do i beat them using combat

So... just got to play this since my power came on earlier and I was able to download it. Is my download version corrupt or is the sound just really not good at all?

the3ye

So... just got to play this since my power came on earlier and I was able to download it. Is my download version corrupt or is the sound just really not good at all?

Sound quality is terrible. Dunno what's wrong with VITA games lately. This and LEGO lotr have some serious sound quality issues.
At first I thought my white VITA speakers are broken...but headphones don't help

wow i was fighting some ax guy for like 5 min... apparently the only way to kill them is counter roll behind and slit the throat.

still can't seem to get chain kills to work.

No because gravity rush was genuinely awesome. It's one of my games of the year.

This however is a buggy mess

I seriously do not understand all the hate for Liberation. I'm loving it it's exactly what i wanted for a game I CAN PLAY ANYWHERE!

It's not hate. The games fun. Just has a ton of issues.

Based on his Twitter feed, Alex @ Giantbomb.com is going to give the Vita version a terrible score. Not surprised, most people on GAF don't seem to jive with--or even care about--his opinions, especially on games that aren't "triple-A" in scale.

I just heard I think Jeff say on the bombcast that he never liked the AC games much in the first place.

This all reminds me a bit about how the Prince of Persia games reviewed on PSP.

I've put a couple hours in and enjoying the game so far, but the glitchy, beta-quality finish is pretty annoying. I've run across lots of graphics and control glitches, including some that were repeatable/predictable - it's like they didn't bother with play testing at all... Definitely the glitchiest Vita game I've played to date, and if I didn't like Aveline so much I'd probably quit.

Chesskid1

Banned
i finished it tonight.

pretty happy with it. there are moments in the game where not much is going on, so the framerate is pretty smooth, really makes you wish you could play the entire game like that.

there are a few levels that are entirely set pieces designed for that specific mission, and they look great, such as the snow level. amazing for a handheld imo.

story was prettty disjointed as well, hoping from one place to another without much transition, and introducing characters we have no idea of their relationship and not elaborating much.

gotta do all the side stuff and multiplayer now. a sequel where they iron out the kinks would be great.

dEvAnGeL

biggest mistake ive made was to buy this game, framerate if not horrible but sometimes it does gets annoying, what i really cant stand is the blurriness of the image, is like you have some sort of filter on the vita screen, the image is so soft i cant stand it, i know uncharted GA is not native res as well but the game sure as hell looks a lot and i mean a lot clearer the this, played the game for almost 3 hours and deleted it

Epcott

i finished it tonight.

pretty happy with it. there are moments in the game where not much is going on, so the framerate is pretty smooth, really makes you wish you could play the entire game like that.

there are a few levels that are entirely set pieces designed for that specific mission, and they look great, such as the snow level. amazing for a handheld imo.

story was prettty disjointed as well, hoping from one place to another without much transition, and introducing characters we have no idea of their relationship and not elaborating much.

gotta do all the side stuff and multiplayer now. a sequel where they iron out the kinks would be great.

How long did it take you to beat?

I bought it on impulse from the PSN store last night at like 2am. I'm kind of regretting it, but it's not all bad. I had low expectations after reviews, it's at least the best handheld entry into the series we've seen :)P) and it plays pretty well. Story and presentation feel very second rate though and I'm not terribly fond of the idea of having three separate notoriety meters to empty.

Here's hoping it's not the last time we see a somewhat full-featured AC on the system, there's plenty of potential for it.

Gustav

Banned
Man, this game is rough. Feels like playing a pre-beta build. 6 months of extra development would have done wonders for it.

Something I've noticed about the hardware after playing this a bunch.

The right trigger really isn't designed to be held down for a long time.

It really is a weird grip and my right hand is not a fan.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Fucking dynamic shadows. Useless.

The triggers are not very responsive either. Rather flimsy.
Well, glad I'm not the only one (kind of). I find that sometimes my character will stop running if I ever so slightly change the amount of pressure I'm applying.

Something I've noticed about the hardware after playing this a bunch.

The right trigger really isn't designed to be held down for a long time.

It really is a weird grip and my right hand is not a fan.

My right shoulder button has been shoddy/ less responsive since day one I purchased it, ACL and NFS:MW have been reminding me daily that I will need to replace/ fix it at some point in the near future.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
No because gravity rush was genuinely awesome. It's one of my games of the year.

This however is a buggy mess

It's not hate. The games fun. Just has a ton of issues.

Gravity Rush is one of the most boring games I have forced myself to finish. The missions were laughably terrible. Like I always said, that game felt like a tech demo, with "gameplay" added at the last minute.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I picked this game over Code of Princess.

Hope I don't regret it. I liked AC2 and Brotherhood (but not so much for Revelations).

Gravity Rush is one of the most boring games I have forced myself to finish. The missions were laughably terrible. Like I always said, that game felt like a tech demo, with "gameplay" added at the last minute.

guess we will just agree to disagree on that one. I loved the game.

Skilletor

The lady persona is just plain unfun to play as. I don't play AC games to run slow and be tied to the ground. This is just boring.

pwack

I really enjoyed Gravity Rush, and so far am really enjoying Liberation.

Could AC:L be better technically? Absolutely. The "fit and finish" is clearly sub-par. But so far, I have not encountered any game breaking bugs, and am having a ton of fun.

We have a super-expansive open world thatits pretty impressive technically (excluding bugs) that we can play on the go. The combat and free running, what I like most about these games, seems to live up to the console versions I've played (AC 1 and 2; in fact, this surpasses 1 in my mind). The plot is sparse, but I never really thought the beat by beat plot in any AC game was very clear or interesting. The characterization of the hero is, I think, very good, especially compared to Altair. And I actually appreciate the notoriety system. It never made sense to me that I could run my ass around Italy in a silly hooded costume, climbing walls, and the majority of the populace would simply ignore me. Having to deal with the consequences of my actions in this way makes sense.

I am very excited.

I loved Gravity Rush and I am loving Liberation.

I didn't get any bugs I can recall on gravity rush, I haven't seen any (yet) on liberation. I do notice the very obvious slowdown.

Yet I am still impressed with the quality of visuals and the sheer amount of stuff going on. For a handheld game it is pretty amazing. I think people are simply overlooking what the game does despite what it is running on. I mean.... if the console or PC versions existed without bugs I could understand where expectations come from, but considering the other versions still have hiccups on even more powerful hardware it is hard to believe that people really expected the handheld version to be flawless performance wise.

AwRy108

Yet I am still impressed with the quality of visuals and the sheer amount of stuff going on. For a handheld game it is pretty amazing. I think people are simply overlooking what the game does despite what it is running on. I mean.... if the console or PC versions existed without bugs I could understand where expectations come from, but considering the other versions still have hiccups on even more powerful hardware it is hard to believe that people really expected the handheld version to be flawless performance wise.

Agree completely! I grit my teeth every time I read a review that fails to mention how impressive it is that they're playing a unique, full-fledged AC game that fits in your pocket.

I've played all of the console AC's on PS3, and they each suffer from fps drops that are similar to what's seen on the Vita; yet, reviewers seem to neglect this fact when reviewing the Vita version.

Also, while I love GiantBomb, they're ignorant dipshits for giving the AC Liberation review to Alex--he doesn't even like AC games!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I just noticed that the trading minigame timer wont run while the Vita is in sleep mode, meh. Was hoping to grind that out a little next to doing other stuff.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Loved Gravity Rush. Loving AC: Lib. *shrug* Different strokes. AC: Lib is certainly buggy, but it's not Bethesda levels of buggy, and those games have about as much compelling game play as this one in my opinion.

Yopis

Loved gr......crazy have ACL but have not had time to play. This thread is wild. Hope I dont run into many glitches.

gryz

Banned

last night I spent 2 hours stuck in the water unable to climb out during the lady tutorial

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
last night I spent 2 hours stuck in the water unable to climb out during the lady tutorial

Yikes, I on the contrary spend 4 hours exploring New Orleans, trying to massacre every red spot I was able to find on the map.

I had fun (of course I was looking for secrets, but the red spot certainly helped). I think I've done 30+ double air assassinations during that. Good times, good times.

gryz

Banned
5 minutes stuck: game's fault. anything between 5 minutes & 2 hours: your fault :) ...

it's the game's fault when it says "press x to climb out" on the screen and that makes you dive deeper into the water. first time I was shoved in by some enemies. 2nd time I went down a big step onto a pier and was unable to get back up so I had to jump in the water. it took 2 hours because I had to keep swimming across the entire area to find a sloped land area that I could walk out of. this is janky gameplay/"bad design".

I'm finally past that and the game does seem a little better, but the criticisms aren't unwarranted.

cyborg009

Banned
I had a lot of issues with the mission using the lady persona at the port...

The game is running pretty good for me after that patch, I almost didn't even to play anymore because performance was so bad.

Ok I completed it
story was badly told and I'm not really sure about half the stuff that happened
- prophecy disk just happened
- her mother warned her off agate
- apparently ignored her mother and offered disk to agate
- turns out he had no interest in it and its power again
- all that the disk had was the first civ people talking a couple of lines about eve. What's so powerful?
- agate later try's to kill you for some reason. The he tops him self as he dishonoured him self some how.
- step mother thing was a crap twist that felt lazy.
- you spend one bit apparently agreeing to help her then pretend to join the temples then slaughter them all.... Again... Why? Why not just kill her earlier?

I dunno the story really was a total mess and if anyone can shed some light that would be great.

Dunan

it's the game's fault when it says "press x to climb out" on the screen and that makes you dive deeper into the water. first time I was shoved in by some enemies. 2nd time I went down a big step onto a pier and was unable to get back up so I had to jump in the water. it took 2 hours because I had to keep swimming across the entire area to find a sloped land area that I could walk out of. this is janky gameplay/"bad design".

If you're where I think you are (the place where you have to bribe
the guys standing in front of the Spanish capitán's ship
, you could have clung to the side of the building and moved back to the pier you were originally on.

They really should have just desynchronized you if you fell in the water during that scene. Is this game still using the "health bar is really your degree of synchronization" gimmick? (I really like this gimmick and hope they stick with it.)

I had a lot of issues with the mission using the lady persona at the port...

The game is running pretty good for me after that patch, I almost didn't even to play anymore because performance was so bad.

I updated before I finished the Lady section. Did that patch fix some nasty issues?

Top Bottom