• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed Unity Leaked PS4 version shots (Confirmed 900p / 30fps)

In a lot of these screenshots, the lighting on the environments makes them look almost photo-real. Many (but not all) of them look fantastic.

But then the moment you see a character in that environment the effect is completely ruined. I think they need to work on characters more. Maybe for Assassins Creed 23.

RetroStu

Banned
900P on a open world game

Yeesh.gif

Eh?, there is more chance of an open world game being 900p than a linear game.

Anyway the game looks good to me and i'm sure that Vaseline effect won't look half as bad when you are actually playing the game on your tv.

I'd just like to explain one thing.

The reason the same NPC is repeated several times over isn't because Ubisoft didn't feel the need to render thousands of different NPCs it's because of the limitations of the Animus. You see, these are memories and history of your ancestors and it wouldn't make sense for you to have thousands of different NPCs because there is no way the human mind could actively remember thousands of different faces. So what the animus does in this case is replicate the other people in your memories as the notable people - the ones you did have an interaction with at some point in the memory. It's also an animus issue why the game is so blurry. It's weaker memory you're going through. It's foggy in itself and the animus can only replicate the memory in the detail it's given. So when you see an NPC with a darkened face or a blurriness to their face it's not the actual game's fault it is intended by design to give you an authentic Animus experience as you play the game.

Daverid

Screenshots look awful, doesn't look much better in motion. Seems like Ubisoft Kiev and the PC Version is the only hope left...

So basically there's no hope.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
While some fans lament over Assassin’s Creed Unity‘s 900p/30fps lock, Unity‘s World Level Design Director is taking the time to explain why 60fps is not only unnecessary, but also harmful to some video games. Nicolas Guérin believes the standard takes away from the cinematic experience, and sees the practice fading from the industry overall.

“At Ubisoft for a long time we wanted to push 60 fps. I don’t think it was a good idea because you don’t gain that much from 60 fps and it doesn’t look like the real thing,” Guérin told TechRadar. ”It’s a bit like The Hobbit movie, it looked really weird.”

“And in other games it’s the same – like the Rachet and Clank series [where it was dropped]. So I think collectively in the video game industry we’re dropping that standard because it’s hard to achieve, it’s twice as hard as 30fps, and its not really that great in terms of rendering quality of the picture and the image.”

Assassin’s Creed Unity is likely to perform on an outstanding level either way, but it would certainly be something to see the industry as a whole overturn beliefs that 60fps is the long-awaited, bright future of development. We’ll wait and see whether 60fps becomes an unwarranted feature rather than standard quality expectation.

http://www.twinfinite.net/2014/10/09/assassins-creed-dropping-60fps/

Apparently some of us have some ridiculous expectations here. :) I as well kept hearing it was too hard to render in the first place, which might be why it looks like that. Do they need to cut down on size to make the characters look better?

skelekey

This looks extremely underwhelming to me especially after having played InFamous SS. The buildings seem a bit flat, The lighting could be better. The character models lack the detail that I would expect from a current gen title.

Ah well, I haven't really been compelled to play an AC since AC2. I might get IV at some point but this game isn't really giving me any reason to want to play it.

The reason the same NPC is repeated several times over isn't because Ubisoft didn't feel the need to render thousands of different NPCs it's because of the limitations of the Animus. You see, these are memories and history of your ancestors and it wouldn't make sense for you to have thousands of different NPCs because there is no way the human mind could actively remember thousands of different faces. So what the animus does in this case is replicate the other people in your memories as the notable people - the ones you did have an interaction with at some point in the memory. It's also an animus issue why the game is so blurry. It's weaker memory you're going through. It's foggy in itself and the animus can only replicate the memory in the detail it's given. So when you see an NPC with a darkened face or a blurriness to their face it's not the actual game's fault it is intended by design to give you an authentic Animus experience as you play the game.

Well sure that's the in-universe explanation but that doesn't mean it's the real explanation.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
Hopefully more NPCs = more hilarious NPC glitches.

I have a bad feeling there will be large patches of NPCs all moving in unison, ala a flock of birds, at certain times. :p

Oh god. I always thought it would be cool to play this with the sheer amount of NPC's on screen but you just ruined it giving me a visuals of different NPC's moving in unison, onscreen. lol.

I don't even understand why having so many NPCs is a good thing to them. It's just more people to get in my way while running around the world. I sometimes used to wish there were less npcs in the other games for that very reason.

shanew21

I don't even think 1080p would help this game. The entire thing just looks blah. Low res textures, no shadows, etc.

This game was built for next gen?

Ugh, I hate that 'soft' look that upscaled resolutions give. Which is made even worse here with not-so-good AA.

The shots in the Imgur link look better...but still pretty disappointing, imo.

Fliesen

Man, this looks like they only have 10 different npcs.

You can find the women right of the character 4 times in this picture.

it's not too bad, they spice it up with varying accessories, like hats, scarfs and at least change up the faces. But it's not the bigges variety of NPC models either.

You'd hardly notice in a big crowd scene like that in motion, though, i guess.

Well now I see why it had to be 900p. It looks like a lucid dream already, the PS4 would probably explode if they tried to add more p's.

Chobel

LOL!

Wow this looks nothing like earlier screens and footage. Just a blurry mess. Reminds me of PS3 IQ. Seriously must be some weird post-FX going on because even at 900p it shouldn't look blurry like this. Watch_Dogs ran at the same res and looked far crisper. Guess it's the engine.

TyrantII

Eh?, there is more chance of an open world game being 900p than a linear game.

Anyway the game looks good to me and i'm sure that Vaseline effect won't look half as bad when you are actually playing the game on your tv.

1:1 pixel mapping is essential the further the draw distance. Otherwise you don't have the pixel density to resolve far objects and detail.

The Vaseline effect will be worse, seeing as most of these don't show the sweeping vistas but street level and it's already apparent.

For the looks of it, this is a pretty drastic step back from AC4.

Tobor

Feeling good about skipping this one. How in the world does this game look worse than Black Flag? Unbelievable.

We can still do business on FC4, Ubisoft, but Unity can GTFO.

M3Freak

Banned
Leaked PS4 thread: talks about X1 version...nice

Well, it's a valid point since it's obvious many multi-platform games are being gimped to accomodate the lower spec Xbone. Gimping ensures the game sells more units (otherwise people would tend to stay away from the inferior version).

It's sad, really. PS4 versions of games should be coded to take advantage of the PS4 hardware, even if that means making other version (e.g. Xbone) look bad.

At least we know first party games will use the hardware to the fullest!

nOoblet16

The AA they are using in this game HRAA is blurry, and it kills high frequency detail. They even admit this in their slides that they published a while ago. It's like a blur filter applied then a sharpen filter applied on top of it, this is ofcourse a simplistic description of it but this is a bad way to get rid of jaggies ie. by effectively destroying most of the high frequency details. Farcry 4 will be using the same technique, but that will be 1080P (atleast in terms of pixel ratio, as I won't be surprised if it cuts a few pixels up the top and bottom)

Guys, it looks blurry not because of the resolution, it's the anti aliasing solution they are using. It reminds me of GTA 4 on PC, that ugly blur that was used to hide jaggies (Don't know if console version had this too.)

If they are using the same AA as AC4 that shouldn't be the case. AC4 had very little aliasing and looked tack sharp at 1080p. It's probably just the side effect of having to upscale.

I don't even think 1080p would help this game. The entire thing just looks blah. Low res textures, no shadows, etc.

This game was built for next gen?

Maybe it started as game built for what Ubi hoped next gen would be. The end result looks like a mountain of compromises just to get the thing to run. I think devs are avoiding 720p like the plague.

Aces&Eights

U0qb8aL.jpg

I should stop now.

Sweet Jesus, here we go lol.

Honestly, I am pretty forgiving in the WTF is that?!? department but I'm getting scared all my map icons are going to be blurry. How can I find all the chests, feathers, top hats, thieves, hookers and objectives if they all blend in?

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member

Did Ubisoft come out and say that? If not they need to jump all over this explaination, it would suite their current PR!

Durante

This is the best post in this thread.

First trailers were CGI for one thing. Basically assume all marketing material from Ubisoft is a lie unless it's a Ubiart game, wait for direct capture of retail release.

its just bizarre tho, why keep lying game after game? smh. im definitely not buying this till its bargain bin price.

Top Bottom