• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity |OT| Liberté, égalité, parité

You can play the game on pc now if you have a retail copy, just FYI.
Game looks great.
i5hjVSEXeDfia.jpg

i1ITdUcoywvxN.jpg

Wynnebeck

Banned
Damnit! I have like $80 of trade in credit at GameStop and my manager said she'll hold a copy for me tonight. However, hearing early impressions has me greatly worried. Impulse buy or wait for Black Friday?

This game is seriously impressive!

My last impressions were from ~2 hours of play, I now have about 4-5 hours and my enjoyment has only went up. There are tons of little touches that really make this game feel alive. Everything is so dense, the textures and detail in the world is pretty remarkable. People calling this a last gen game are selling it tremendously short.

I agree that it feels like AC2/Brotherhood. Traversing the world is actually fun because of the improved animations. Side missions are hard and they don't really hold your hand that much surprisingly like the Nostradamus puzzle missions and murder mysteries. Its such a time sink, I've barely done anything and the hours fly by.

Performance is weird because it will be running great but then you get these drops that do hurt the overall presentation but you can tell its poor optimization in spots, like if they had another 4 months it would be nailed down smooth. But the visuals when the sun is out and shining are a treat. This gen is going to be great.

Screenshots incoming:
Wow, they look damn good :D

Sami+

I really, really am curious though - why is the game still so blurry at 1080p? It looks like it's been upscaled to me.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
For those playing the PS4 version:

If you're experiencing heavy frame drops, try disconnecting your PS4 from the internet. I have no solid evidence to prove this, but I just tried this and after unplugging the internet cable I had the feeling the game was pretty much stable at 30 fps. Going to bed now but tomorrow I'd like to try replaying some levels/areas where I know the framerate will always drop to sub 20s, to see if this really works.

(Naturally you won't be able to co-op then)

Give it a try if you really can't stand the framedrops.
Someone should really try this.

DOWN

Banned
Here's some screens. I'll take some more later. Sorry for the Hud.

Its a mixed bag ranging from great looking to okay.

Another random note: Probably my favourite soundtrack in the series so far.

Wow. They really nailed a sort of HDR cinema look with the colors. Looks like a film tribute to French paintings.

Crap, Only 30% downloaded with a little over an hour to go before the game goes live on digital.

Gonna be a long while before I can play =.

I only got the code a couple hours ago.

Phionoxx

Took the plunge and bought a PC key from GMG. I have enjoyed all AC games though, with ACB being my favorite. Didn't complete 3 due to boredom mid-way through the game but really enjoyed 4. Looking forward to checking this out. Wish I would have bought earlier though, the Uplay servers are crazy slow? Barely managing 700 kB/s.

Red Comet

Man, these PC screenshots are making me drool. I'm so glad I decided to go PC in the end. I just wish Uplay would unlock it at 12 EST, because otherwise I won't get to play until sometime tomorrow evening.

This will be the last time I buy directly through Uplay though. At the time, it had been pulled off Steam and GMG wasn't offering any discount. I think they offered a VIP deal the next day, and now Steam's got it back up for sale. Go figure.

My xbone preload unlock just now...

Good god, the game is very beautiful (though some times it can also look kinda bland), but dear god, it runs very very very bad.

It does look like it's severely CPU bound too, I've had some slideshow drops when I was looking at a wall and behind me there were some guys fighting.

Edit: Except for the cutscenes, they also run very poorly, but I suspect the culprit here is tessellation. Everytime a detailed hair or beard comes into the screen the framerate plummets.

Also the Brazilian sub is really bad, I think the worst I've seen on a game thus far.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wow. I'm doing the UPlay pre-load right now, and it looks like it becomes playable at around 8GB downloaded?

Never seen this kind of tech implemented on PC outside of MMORPGs.

Someone wanna tell me why some titles go live at 12:00 AM and others at 2:00 AM? This inconsistency is really pissing me off when it comes to preload...

My xbone preload unlock just now...

Good god, the game is very beautiful (though some times it can also look kinda bland), but dear god, it runs very very very bad.

It does look like it's severely CPU bound too, I've had some slideshow drops when I was looking at a wall and behind me there were some guys fighting.

Edit: Except for the cutscenes, they also run very poorly, but I suspect the culprit here is tessellation. Everytime a detailed hair or beard comes into the screen the framerate plummets.

Also the Brazilian sub is really bad, I think the worst I've seen on a game thus far.

Are they unlocking early?

SRTtoZ

Are you sure? I was under the impression that only a few effects and resolution were the main differences. Care to post some pics for comparisons?

We don't have enough proper footage of the console versions yet but so far it looks to be a significant advantage visually and performance wise with a decent setup on PC.

Peterthumpa

We don't have enough proper footage of the console versions yet but so far it looks to be a significant advantage visually and performance wise with a decent setup on PC.
Well, I'm really curious for some console vs PC comparisons now. Was going to pull the trigger on the PS4 version but I'll wait for more impressions.

Graphics is always better on PC than on a console, but I am curious to see how well console can perform :D

Well, I'm really curious for some console vs PC comparisons now. Was going to pull the trigger on the PS4 version but I'll wait for more impressions.

Apparently, it runs pretty well on a 750 ti at high settings and 1080P resolution according to a post in the pc performance thread.

SRTtoZ

There was 1 really good quality (but short) video on youtube of the PS4 version that seemed to look pretty damn good, but everything else since then has been shitty compressed, bad capture card type of footage. Will see if I can find that, maybe Eden can help.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksxm5g884BI

Turn it up to 1080p, this impressed me visually, the quality is quite good, but yes I'm also waiting for comparisons as i'd rather have a game like this with trade in value (PS4) vs digital PC that I'll probably play once and never again.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Lame. Bb wouldn't release the game to me said that street date is tomorrow for stores not participating in midnight launch.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Are you sure? I was under the impression that only a few effects and resolution were the main differences.
PS4 version looks like that, only blurrier. But it's considerably blurrier, and probably enough that someone would think the way he does comparing static scenes. Blurriness not as obvious in motion.

There was 1 really good quality (but short) video on youtube of the PS4 version that seemed to look pretty damn good, but everything else since then has been shitty compressed, bad capture card type of footage. Will see if I can find that, maybe Eden can help.

Found it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ksxm5g884BI

Turn it up to 1080p, this impressed me visually, the quality is quite good, but yes I'm also waiting for comparisons as i'd rather have a game like this with trade in value (PS4) vs digital PC that I'll probably play once and never again.
Make sure to play this in Chrome (or Safari on Mac with html5 playback enabled) in 1080p/60 mode.

kudoboi

Wow. I'm doing the UPlay pre-load right now, and it looks like it becomes playable at around 8GB downloaded?

Never seen this kind of tech implemented on PC outside of MMORPGs.

Yeah its one feature that needs to be implemented on steam

PS4 version looks like that, only blurrier. But it's considerably blurrier, and probably enough that someone would think the way he does comparing static scenes. Blurriness not as obvious in motion.
Maybe it is because of 900p? And the frame rate is not as stable as the PC version either.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Maybe it is because of 900p? And the frame rate is not as stable as the PC version either.
Not just because of that, but because of heavy (and simple) post processed AA. Which is a shame considering how good AA solution they had in AC4, which they almost for sure are not using here. 900p generally should not look this blurry. And yeah, framerate is not stable 30 on PS4, and even less so on XB1, it seems.

AA solution on PS4 AC4 was quite impressive, second only to Infamous, and maybe Ryse (if you like that cinema blurry but defined look). They used SMAA+temporal supersample in AC4. Here however, they seem to just be using FXAA dialed to 11 for maximum overblur :\

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Got into the game... only played a couple of minutes, but I'm impressed. That performance thread had me worried.

It runs great on my PC (2500k, 16GB RAM, GTX 970 4GB) at the default settings, which appear to be high. It looks incredible already, so I'm not sure how far I'm going to adjust the settings. I might mess around with it later.

Anyone know what time this unlocks on PSN?

If it's 12AM PST I'll just pick it up on the way back from work tomorrow. 12AM EST and I might start preloading.

Top Bottom