• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Austin and Central Texas Community |OT| Tacos, Tunes, Traffic, and Torridity

Oh nevermind, Ikkicon is gonna be at the Renaissance up at the Arboretum, not downtown anymore. Alas.

Piranha is not bad. To be honest I have more beloved sushi bars when it comes to food; but I have a ton of friends who work at PKS.

Yeah, I'm curious as to why they're at a different location. I'll actually be staying there with 4 friends and 4 people that I don't know at that hotel. Should be interesting. :V

I just enjoy trying out new places, especially since it was mentioned here. Hah.

Yeah, I'm curious as to why they're at a different location. I'll actually be staying there with 4 friends and 4 people that I don't know at that hotel. Should be interesting. :V

I just enjoy trying out new places, especially since it was mentioned here. Hah.
Good on you in finding your lovey at Ikkicon. I tried flirting with some of the otaku girls who sat at the sushi bar last year, and whoo boy. Better luck trying to explain to a fish there's a world beyond the water's surface. :p

Won't lie, I do miss working the sushi bar instead of working at
JW
. But my buddy Otto -- who is the owner/chef of the Kyoten sushi trailer -- is opening his own sushi brick and mortar next year, and I'm gonna help at least one day a week. You clowns better go to the grand opening. :p

neshcom

Banned
Hey, I teased this the other day, but we're filming a couple of episodes of our YouTube show at HandleBar today 2-4pm and looking for interested friendlies to come by and try some puzzles. No pay, but free drinks! It's not a """Real""" AustinGAF meetup, but it's a good time.

Hey, I teased this the other day, but we're filming a couple of episodes of our YouTube show at HandleBar today 2-4pm and looking for interested friendlies to come by and try some puzzles. No pay, but free drinks! It's not a """Real""" AustinGAF meetup, but it's a good time.
Dang, sorry I missed it! :p Looks like some good fun.

rothgar

My daughter was born 3 weeks early on the 23rd, so we spent Xmas eve and day in the hospital. A lot of our Xmas plans were completely turned upside down, but in the end everything turned out great since everyone is healthy and we have a new member of the family.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Coming down to Austin for the first time in about a month . For super bowl weekend with my boys . Any recommendations on what to do? Any must go places? Just looking to have a great time. Thanks and can't wait to try out your city for 4 days.

I went to River Place Nature Trail today which I guess has been opened/closed many times over the last decade for weird city politics. I've been to just about all the good trails now and I think this is the best. I'd easily recommend it over the Green Belt as it has some great up keep. It's more challenging however due to the many elevation changes and stairs.

ViDzV4Al.jpg

Went to pinballz for the first time and seeing console war graffiti in the bathroom gave me a laugh. Also taught me I'm terrible at pinball so I'll practice in fx or something before coming back, lol.

I wonder if Asahi Imports has finished their renovations yet...

::edit:: Whoa, La V, Mettle and Congress have all shuttered. Sad month for Austin restaurants.

neshcom

Banned

Hey, we're doing another one of these at Moontower Saloon tonight starting at 5pm! It's supposed to be dry and warm tonight, so come on out :D

I went to River Place Nature Trail today which I guess has been opened/closed many times over the last decade for weird city politics. I've been to just about all the good trails now and I think this is the best. I'd easily recommend it over the Green Belt as it has some great up keep. It's more challenging however due to the many elevation changes and stairs.

ViDzV4Al.jpg
Awesome never been thanks for the heads up

FartOfWar

Banned
Hey guys! So I'm thinking of moving here or Seattle? Help a guy out. I am in IT transitioning to web development

I'm from Seattle and currently live in Austin. As such I'm biased and the northwest is far nicer but also far pricier. I'm also biased because as someone who never had to deal with allergies, Austin tries to kill me with it's so-called cedar pollen (it's actually ash juniper) every December through February. If I didn't love my job here (Arkane) as much as I do, I'm sure I'd plot an escape every December through February. Honestly, come stay for a week as soon as possible to determine the extent to which cedar pollen ruins your life. If after a few days your eyes look like crusted-over butthole meat and you're sneezing six or more times a minute stay the fuck away.

Blunoise

Another question. How is the diversity here for a black guy? I'm from Atlanta, so will I get bored quick since it is smaller

Another question. How is the diversity here for a black guy? I'm from Atlanta, so will I get bored quick since it is smaller
Very diverse. Remember that Austin is a super-liberal city. It's Texas so you'll always have hayseeds and yokels who cling to old ways; but race is pretty transcended here by the majority of people, I find. We care more about how intelligent/well-spoken/deep you are rather than how you look or dress. There is a pretty mixed demographic here, just on a smaller scale than something like NYC or LA or Houston.

Also... I dunno how big it is for you, but I personally came from a town with a really good hip hop/R&B scene. And that scene is terrible in Austin.

Blunoise

Very diverse. Remember that Austin is a super-liberal city. It's Texas so you'll always have hayseeds and yokels who cling to old ways; but race is pretty transcended here by the majority of people, I find. We care more about how intelligent/well-spoken/deep you are rather than how you look or dress. There is a pretty mixed demographic here, just on a smaller scale than something like NYC or LA or Houston.

Also... I dunno how big it is for you, but I personally came from a town with a really good hip hop/R&B scene. And that scene is terrible in Austin.
Thanks sounds good. And no I only listen to underground or Japanese hip hop. So I'll live with that. Also people call me a hipster so I should fit right in, I just don't want to get bored of the town after a few years even with the big outdoors

Thanks sounds good. And no I only listen to underground or Japanese hip hop. So I'll live with that. Also people call me a hipster so I should fit right in, I just don't want to get bored of the town after a few years even with the big outdoors
Move east of I-35 and you'll fit in then. :p

Anyways... I've been needing to find an EDM club in town. I think Kingdom and Lanai are about it. :\

Officially live in Austin now so that's cool. Do any of the Alamo Drafthouses here have notably better quality screens? Few of them playing the Reverent and I wasn't sure which to pick.

Move east of I-35 and you'll fit in then. :p

Anyways... I've been needing to find an EDM club in town. I think Kingdom and Lanai are about it. :

Kingdom is pretty lame,IMO. I remember going to Karma at an old location back in 2011, that was pretty damn good and popular. But then the new location killed it pretty badly. :|

Kingdom is pretty lame,IMO. I remember going to Karma at an old location back in 2011, that was pretty damn good and popular. But then the new location killed it pretty badly. :|
Republic Live could get some good shows (they had Milo & Otis before they shuttered), but yeah. Barcelona used to have awesome dubstep and d&b on Sunday nights back in the day, too.

I still need to go to Elysium.

Auctopus

So, I'm coming to Austin (from the UK) to work the SXSW festival. I'll be there from the Tuesday to the Monday after the festival.

I'll have a few days off that aren't dedicated to watching music so has anyone got any suggestions of things to do/places to eat?

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Officially live in Austin now so that's cool. Do any of the Alamo Drafthouses here have notably better quality screens? Few of them playing the Reverent and I wasn't sure which to pick.

Isn't the Ritz playing it in 70mm? You'd probably want to watch it there if that's what you care about.

kodecraft

Diversity is only OK tbh. Houston is alot more diverse than Austin. You coming from the A-town too.....yea you'll feel it if you come to Austin.

HawkeyeIC

I assuming my expectations were just too high, but La BBQ was a real disappointment. The beef rib was fantastic, pork ribs were just OK, and the brisket was good, not great. Luckily I only waited 30 minutes or so. Couldn't handle wasting that much time in line at Franklins, but maybe I should have?

Not great. Austin has a decent Latino population and a growing Asian minority. The majority is white. In the north part of town, I don't see many black people. A few of my neighbors are black, which a) surprised me when I moved in because of how few I see and b) made me happy because the city has a pretty big race and class segregation problem. Big sections of the east side have been known as the black part of town or the Latino part of town for a long time. That's kind of starting to change, but only in that some of those areas are being gentrified, and the people who live there are being priced out of their own neighborhoods.

Hylian7

I assuming my expectations were just too high, but La BBQ was a real disappointment. The beef rib was fantastic, pork ribs were just OK, and the brisket was good, not great. Luckily I only waited 30 minutes or so. Couldn't handle wasting that much time in line at Franklins, but maybe I should have?

I went to Franklins once, it was good, but I dunno if I would wait in that line more than once. I'd say try it once at least though, and get some extra to take home.

Funny story about how I got to go to Franklins. I worked as a developer and we started Agile (basically a method of organizing development of a product), and every two weeks we would have these iteration meetings. These things could last 4 hours to all day (yeah, they really dragged on pretty badly). We did really well on one iteration, so for the next one, we got to have our iteration meeting while in line for Franklins. We brought folding chairs and my boss brought a cooler of beer. Got our meeting stuff in line and had great BBQ.

Sydle

I've had both many times and they're the same level of amazing for me.

If you really want Franklin's I would recommend getting a few folks from work interested, order it, and pick it up. You'll have to wait several days. It's not worth a 3 hour line.

I'm pretty new to Austin, so maybe this isn't such a thing to you guys...but how is Cedar so damn toxic right now? Everyone is acting like they have the flu.

Also, Hi. It's a nice summer day in January.

Zoe

I'm pretty new to Austin, so maybe this isn't such a thing to you guys...but how is Cedar so damn toxic right now? Everyone is acting like they have the flu.

Also, Hi. It's a nice summer day in January.

ANwL6l5.gif

Most people don't get Cedar Fever their first year here. It wasn't until my third or fourth year that I got it.

(spring allergies knocked me right on my ass my first year though)

ANwL6l5.gif

Most people don't get Cedar Fever their first year here. It wasn't until my third or fourth year that I got it.

(spring allergies knocked me right on my ass my first year though)
tumblr_mlk5ciMkfE1sn8ji0o1_500.gif

High of 81 this Sunday. I'm happy my community service ends Saturday. Goddam what a shitty month for me (apart from my birthday).

Top Bottom