• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Australia tour of South Africa |OT| Battle of the Batsmen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I think australia might actually be deliberately cutting down the runrate. No way is warner not trying to attack duminy.

kmag

I've no fucking clue. Maybe extend it longer to make it harder for the saffers to be able to win?

He's been kicking most of duminy's deliveries. That's just super weird.

I think it's a dangerous ploy. SA aren't going to try to chase anything over 400, they're too wedded to their precious unbeaten in series run. You may as well score as much as you can by a set period of time.

It's also a bit unfair on Warner who'll probably get himself out before his ton playing completely against type.

Antiwhippy

Unless warner really doesn't like batting anything pitched wide outside off stump by duminy, or if he's really bothered by that rough, I can't think that this is anything other than a deliberate tactic.

Current Partnership: 51 runs, 20.5 overs, RR: 2.44 (Warner 17, Doolan 32)

Last Partnership: 123 runs, 20.2 overs, RR: 6.04 (Rogers 39, Warner 75)

Maybe Harris is sore and wants a longer rest?

I don't fucking know, this is bloody stupid by the Australians! >_<

They might have an idea of how many runs and how many overs SA will have to try and get them. Score too fast and declare at that number and you leave SA too much time, or go too long and give SA a ridiculous score to chase and they might go into their shells.

You want at least some of the batsmen thinking that they can be the hero and score the improbable not the impossible.

CricInfo said:
Lehmann, Warne and Clarke having an animated and anxious discussion in the balcony. Lehmann didn't seem happy with what is going on
Hope Lehmann pulls Warner aside and tells him to hit a 12 an over or he's cleaning Clarkes boots for the next 6 months.

Maybe they want Doolan to have a good innings to build his confidence?
#grapsingatstraws

Antiwhippy

But it's not doolan though. I don't think it's doolan fault. Warner hasn't got anything going at all. Some of it because they are bowling so many negative balls that they really should be called wides, but he has not been looking to attack anything at all.

Antiwhippy

Also not a bad session at all. We're 153-1 for that session, which for test cricket really is pretty amazing. Still gives us plenty of room to play it out before tea.

Maybe Warner cracked the sads because Clarke sent in the sedate Doolan rather than another player keen to smash on like Warner/Rogers were doing?

Maybe Warner really really really needed a poop and didn't want to have to run up and down the pitch.

He called Faf a sissy boom boom pants yesterday for needing to stop the game for a toilet break so he had to hold out until the lunch break to maintain his superior bro position in the bro ladder of awesome men.

EDIT: Yeah 450 declare. Won't need anymore than that.

Rezbit

Maybe Warner really really really needed a poop and didn't want to have to run up and down the pitch.

He called Faf a sissy boom boom pants yesterday for needing to stop the game for a toilet break so he had to hold out until the lunch break to maintain his superior bro position in the bro ladder of awesome men.

EDIT: Yeah 450 declare. Won't need anymore than that.

Lmao yeah, I can just picture him running down the wicket like a duck saying "hothothothothot"

Antiwhippy

So this just makes the period of play before weirder. Maybe south africa just found out bowling wide is a good way to make warner not play at anything and dools being dools. (he didn't play that poorly though, if we consider normal circumstances)

Maybe they really didn't want to bowl after lunch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom