• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Responding to the bolded: There's no logical correlation between the letter Q and Infiniti's performance this year. At least none that I have heard of. I suspect their performance this year is because they make great cars that are reliable and luxurious. At least that's why I like them.

The consensus was that Infiniti's new badges were going to hurt the brand and tank their sales. Neither of which happened. So for all the negative attention the everyday internet armchair analyst brought on the brand and their new names, it had no impact on the company, and in fact, sales actually went up. That's the point I'm making.

Is there a correlation? Hell if I knew. But it certainly didn't hurt the brand one bit. And Infiniti hardly made any changes to their line-up this entire year apart from some minor refreshes.

AlphaSnake

If they 'own' it then why did their lawsuit in 2005 fail to prevent Audi's usage of it?

(ironically, Audi found themselves in Infiniti's position a few years back: http://fourtitude.com/news/audi-rum...r-over-the-letter-q-ensues-says-jens-meiners/ )

I don't really play in this space, but if I were shopping for a luxury car I would consider Infiniti more on the fact that their many of cars are Nissans (which I've had great luck with) than what they named them. They could name their new coupe Dogmeat and I'd still give it a try.

The lawsuit didn't fail. Audi settled the suit amicably with Infiniti. The settlement stipulated Audi does not add the letter X to any Q-badged car. And that it keeps it to 1 digit after the Q (Q3, Q5, and no Q15 or Q20 etc). And also some money was provided to Infiniti as settlement too.

mkenyon

Banned
Actually, no. You're wrong. The 'former' Q30 was never a "car" version. The Q30 and QX30 were literally two identical cars; both elevated mini-crossovers one that is FWD and the other AWD. Identical to the Mercedes GLA (which is also FWD and AWD), the very same chassis that underpins the Infiniti.

Infiniti corporate just wanted to fill in a gap by calling the FWD car a Q30. But the dealer network ripped them apart because they are identical and forced them to change the name to just QX30 for both FWD and AWD models, so there will be a base QX30, QX30 Sport, and QX30 AWD.

Hatchbacks aren't Crossovers, from C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-infiniti-q30-qx30-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

The four-door Q30 hatch will slot into the lineup beneath the Q50 sedan. And because that lineup isn’t confusing enough, there will also be a QX30 using the same sheetmetal but crossoverized with more cladding and a slight lift. Nissan’s luxury division wants to play in the same down-market space that Audi, BMW, and Mercedes-Benz have recently entered, but recognizes that going tête-à-tête will require more than just fielding correlative products. Appealing to younger buyers, however, could prove easier and more rewarding in the long run for Infiniti than trying to battle the Germans on higher ground, their traditional areas of strength.

And on renaming it to the QX30 S

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/29/infiniti-q30-qx30-official/

Because of our crossover-obsessed culture, it's easier for automakers to brand new offerings as CUVs rather than hatchbacks. Take one five-door, front-wheel-drive car, add a teensy bit of ground clearance and all-wheel drive, and boom, success! So because the Q30 and ever-so-slightly higher-riding QX30 are so darn similar, Infiniti made the decision to just sell them both under the QX30 name
Dat bolded "identical" killin ya
Alpha ready to fight tho
Yeah, mostly this. I love watching him get riled up. 2EZ

AlphaSnake

Hatchbacks aren't Crossovers, from C&D:

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/2016-infiniti-q30-qx30-25-cars-worth-waiting-for-feature

And on renaming it to the QX30 S

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/12/29/infiniti-q30-qx30-official/

Dat bolded "identical" killin ya

Yeah, mostly this. I love watching him get riled up. 2EZ

The Mercedes GLA is a mini crossover ute, much like the Nissan Juke. Elsewhere you'd call them wagons, sure. But they're higher than typical 5-doors like VWs and the like, and so to this market they're CUVs. Even Infiniti calls it a crossover.

My bolding of identical stands. The two cars are identical. Even the very article you quoted says that the actual sheetmetal (you know...the body) is the same. The only difference is 1 inch difference in ride height and black plastic mud guards around the fenders. That's it. Same as the Mercedes GLA.

And again, Infiniti did not choose to change the name. The dealer network did. Why are you trying to tell me otherwise? I don't care what Autoblog has to say on this.

http://jalopnik.com/why-dealers-forced-infiniti-to-change-the-q30s-name-1752012232

Annnd:

Randy Parker, vice president for Infiniti Americas:

Referring to the former Q30, he said, “It has coupelike styling. But this car is a crossover. And what’s selling in the U.S.? Crossovers. So, we want to make sure consumers know we’re talking about crossovers.”

The models are almost identical in sheet metal. There are slight differences in body cladding, front and rear fascia and ground clearance.

The marketing realignment will not change how U.S. regulators classify the model that now will be sold as the QX30. For technical reasons, it will continue to be counted as a car.

'Killin me', you say? LOL

AlphaSnake

The Q30 is a fkn hatchback. The QX30 is a Crossover. The only difference between a Crossover and Hatch/Wagon is ride height, which the QX30 has over the Q30.

http://www.autotrader.com/car-news/...-and-qx30-crossover-confirmed-for-2015-227576

"almost identical"

move them goalposts

LOL. Don't blame me, blame the American market. Which is precisely what I said earlier, in THIS market it's a CUV. You can call it a hatch until your blue in the face, but that's a death sentence in the US and Infiniti's designation is very clear:

"We created the Q nomenclature to refer to sedans and the QX to cover crossovers," said Gunderson. "And the Q30 wasn't a sedan."

They know what the Q30 is. But they also realize it doesn't make sense to stick it where it doesn't belong. That's why in the European market the Q30 lives on as is. But for the American market we want it to be associated as CUV and not a taller hatch.

Also, a frame of reference: a Mazda 3 wagon is a hatchback. When you see a QX30 in person, you'll notice it is quite a bit taller than a Mazda 3 wagon even before the AWD lift. It's roofline is 60 inches tall, and could hit 62 in AWD spec. The Mazda is 57 inches, by comparison. Nissan Juke is almost 62, and your EX is just a tad higher at 62.5. To Nissan and many other manufacturers, anything over 60 is a compact crossover.

A CLA and GLA are 57 and 60. And the visual differences between the two are huge.

3-5 inches may not seem like a big deal but on these small cars it's very noticeable.

Infiniti-Q30-1.jpg

And if the QX50 is sold as one car, then the QX30 should be as well. It's purely logical.

mkenyon

Banned
*gets blue in the face*

its a haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch

It actually doesnt matter because the only thing that matters now is that 400hp TT V6. It will be mine.

*edit*

Wait, is the Audi A3 a Crossover too then? My world is falling apart.

AlphaSnake

*gets blue in the face*

its a haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatch

It actually doesnt matter because the only thing that matters now is that 400hp TT V6. It will be mine.

*edit*

Wait, is the Audi A3 a Crossover too then? My world is falling apart.

No. It's under 60 inches. It's 56 inches tall with less ground clearance, and actually based on the A3 sedan, which also has the exact same ride height at 56 inches and the same level of clearance. That's still a regular traditional hatchback.

This may be outdated, but I've always used a simple rubric for hatchback vs. wagon. If the cargo area is wider than it is deep, then it's a hatchback. Otherwise it's a wagon.

AlphaSnake

So the QX30 is a Crossover, and the Q30 *ahem* QX30S is still a Crossover despite having normal ground clearance?

Yes. Just like how the GLA250 is a crossover and the MUCH lower GLA45 AMG is too. Ground clearance doesn't change a whole lot between the two cars for Infiniti though. Looks to be no more than .5 lower, which would be truly negligible. No different than any other Infiniti with the sport package, including the Q50 and even my Q70/M56S.

Here's a picture of both side-by-side. Look at the massive wheel gaps of both, they're hardly any different.

xVyCYMZ.jpg

And the AWD car:

infiniti_QX30_1.jpg

AlphaSnake

lol

how long before alpha turns on jag/infiniti?! poor audi

I said fuck it to Audi because of how unreliable all of mine were. Plus they have AWFUL dealerships and service depts. Plus they all started to handle like wet noodles with soggy electric steering. The company nosedived for me. It's a cyclical industry, and it's normal for the consumer to abandon ship.

I am getting another Jaguar and Infiniti. Have my XE-S on order for a late May delivery. So unless the two brands fuck up bad, I won't be turning anytime soon breh.

Eos

acura precision concept
The elegant and powerful exterior is matched by its dramatic interior design, where cantilevered surfaces meet with striking tones, expressive surfacing and modern detailing. Of particular note are the double-layered instrument panel, the high-contrast front seat surfaces, the ultra-thin "floating" rear seats, evoking the look of modern lounge furniture, and the hand-crafted audio speaker grilles made of exotic wood.

The driver's space is highlighted by a compact, race-inspired, sports steering wheel with paddle shifters and Integrated Dynamics System (IDS) controls, a floating center meter, a driver's head-up display, a cantilevered center stack and an ultra-wide, thin and curved center display screen.

New Acura HMI Concept
The Acura Precision Concept also explores a new approach for Acura's digital human-machine interface (HMI), enabling a more intuitive, advanced and seamless connection between man and machine. The ultra-wide and curved center screen is operated by a floating touch pad suspended on the cantilevered center stack. Upon entry, the system scans each occupant and selects personalized features and functions, including maps, audio and customized vehicle performance settings. Acura Precision Concept dimensions:
Width 84 inches
Length 204 inches
Height 52 inches
Wheelbase 122 inches
Wheel/Tire 22-inch Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summer Tire

About the Acura Precision Concept
The Acura Precision Concept was created to explore new and challenging ideas for future Acura design, particularly Acura sedans. The concept was created by Acura's California Design Studio under the direction of Acura global creative director, Dave Marek. The exterior design was led by Michelle Christensen, principal exterior designer, with the interior design created under the leadership of John Norman, principal interior designer. Both Christensen and Norman also played a key role in the creation of the next-generation Acura NSX supercar.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/12/acura-precision-concept-detroit-official/

Akira

It's still a flagship car, doesn't matter where it rings on the ladder as a model or submodel. It's still the wrong motor for this type of car. The only worthy savior is if Lexus tries to go Aston Martin with this car and add some personality to it. But somehow I doubt it.

Wrong motor? What else would you have put in it? Lexus is benchmarking this against the 650i, which has a 445HP V8 turbocharged engine. The LC 500 has a NA V8 with 467 HP. They both have 0-60 times of around 4.5 seconds. An LC-F is rumored with a dual-turbocharged V8 that should go up against the M6 and AMG. As far as "personality", Lexus has been trying to inject performance and actual "fun" driving into their newer models since the last GS came about. But alas, a large segment of the enthusiast population will never give them props where its due.

I mean, am I the only one shocked at how Lexus was able to bring the concept car into production almost 1:1? The only big difference is the interior, which still blows the 650i out of the water and on par with the S-class Coupe interior.

nib95

Banned
Wrong motor? What else would you have put in it? Lexus is benchmarking this against the 650i, which has a 445HP V8 turbocharged engine. The LC 500 has a NA V8 with 467 HP. They both have 0-60 times of around 4.5 seconds. An LC-F is rumored with a dual-turbocharged V8 that should go up against the M6 and AMG. As far as "personality", Lexus has been trying to inject performance and actual "fun" driving into their newer models since the last GS came about. But alas, a large segment of the enthusiast population will never give them props where its due.

I mean, am I the only one shocked at how Lexus was able to bring the concept car into production almost 1:1? The only big difference is the interior, which still blows the 650i out of the water and on par with the S-class Coupe interior.

Lexus also seem to be at the top of nearly all major reliability studies and reports, so they're certainly doing something right. Still not too keen on the overall styling of their vehicles, but some of them are certainly hot (Lexus LFA comes to mind).

acura precision concept

Again with the crazy interior. While the exterior may lead to design cues that will turn up in the Acura family, that interior is one grand nothing of corporate design pablum.

PS - Round steering wheels are for bitches. Now enjoy this shitty tablet we glued to the steering column.

matmanx1

This is my least favorite page of this thread.

Haha, I know, right?

And regarding Lexus, I am still a bit of an apologist for their "sporty" cars. They get a lot wrong but the IS 250 I owned a couple of cars back was good enough for me to develop a bit of a soft spot for them. Their cars are built well, extremely reliable and their naturally aspirated V8 sounds fantastic. Here's Everyday Driver doing a fast blast review of the RC-F (which I know Alpha hates - sorry man!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET1tjflsXII

AlphaSnake

Yep. Wrong motor.

Luxury GTs don't need horsepower. They need a perfect combination of torque and horsepower. Have you ever driven an RC-F? The car requires revs, because it's 389lbs ft of torque comes in at nearly 5000RPM. On a car weighing over 3800lbs, it wears thin. This isn't just my complaint, this has largely been a complaint of most critics out there. 0-60 times don't matter in a car like this. And I also fully expect this LC500 to weigh in close to 4000lbs, if not over, so torque issues could become even more apparent.

Luxury GTs need torquey motors. Not high revving motors where the ratio of torque to hp is way off. You want as close to 1:1 as possible for a car like this. Look at Mercedes, look at BMW, look at Jaguar, and look at Audi. They all have hp to tq ratios that are very close on their luxury coupes. Hell, even look at the Lexus LS460 itself, it uses a well balanced motor (albeit one that is VERY old and outdated), but it has torque that comes in early enough.

Again, as I said before, the 10-speed transmission will help with the lack of low-end torque, but I suspect much of the press will not be delighted with this motor in this car unless the gear ratios are absolutely spot on to mask these deficiencies.

AlphaSnake

I agree with everything you said about the Q30 but considering the Macan a hatchback? No.

Has almost the same height as an Infiniti QX30 AWD and Infiniti QX50 (former EX). And up to 1.5 inches shorter if equipped with the optional air suspension. Still very much a crossover, though. :)

Also, the pictured car is riding on something aftermarket.

SliChillax

Has almost the same height as an Infiniti QX30 AWD and Infiniti QX50 (former EX). And up to 1.5 inches shorter if equipped with the optional air suspension. Still very much a crossover, though. :)

Also, the pictured car is riding on something aftermarket.

The Q30 is confusing, in some pictures it looks low and in others crossover-ish high. Does it have adjustable height? As for the Macan, that one is definitely lowered and on Vossen wheels. This is a stock one:
porsche-macan-images-7895.jpg

AlphaSnake

The Q30 is confusing, in some pictures it looks low and in others crossover-ish high. Does it have adjustable height? As for the Macan, that one is definitely lowered and on Vossen wheels. This is a stock one:
porsche-macan-images-7895.jpg

See above 3 pictures of all three QX30 variants. Only the concept car looked fairly low. The rest look like the Macan you posted, just smaller/less roomy proportionally.

I've seen the car in person (early Dec), it has the same ride height and clearance as the Mercedes-Benz GLA250 (its twin cousin that it shares a platform with).

SliChillax

See above 3 pictures of all three QX30 variants. Only the concept car looked fairly low. The rest look like the Macan you posted, just smaller/less roomy proportionally.

I've seen the car in person (early Dec), it has the same ride height and clearance as the Mercedes-Benz GLA250 (its twin cousin that it shares a platform with).

Yeah you're right, I definitely wouldn't call it a hatchback. When I say hatchback I think about the Golf, Focus, A-Class, 1 Series, A3 etc.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
QX30 is currently my number one pick for this year's replacement AWD vehicle. Alpha, any idea how loud they are? I want a quiet cabin that's good for long-ass road trips.

AlphaSnake

QX30 is currently my number one pick for this year's replacement AWD vehicle. Alpha, any idea how loud they are? I want a quiet cabin that's good for long-ass road trips.

It's using the same door cards and floor panel as the Mercedes. And I test drove that car numerous times before when car shopping for my mom. It is pretty quiet. Infiniti claims they've even improved on parts of the Merc:

The QX30’s supreme interior quietness adds to cabin comfort, with some of the lowest noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) levels in the premium compact segment.

The extensive application of sound-absorbent materials reduces the intrusion of wind, road and unwanted engine noise into the cabin. In addition, closed sections of the high-rigidity body structure protect the QX30 from any negative noise and vibration generated by broken or inconsistent road surfaces.

The result is an incredibly quiet and refined platform, allowing Infiniti engineers to isolate and emphasise the more pleasant and enriching tones of the QX30’s engines under acceleration, without disturbing the calm of the cabin

The GLA was a pretty quiet car, I'm impressed that the Infiniti will be even moreso. Also, don't be surprised if the Infiniti InTouch Audio has noise-canceling capabilities, as well.

I agree though, the QX30 looks splendid. If I need a 3rd car as a baby hauler, and I can lease one of these very cheap, I'll get it no questions.

Stinkles

It's using the same door cards and floor panel as the Mercedes. And I test drove that car numerous times before when car shopping for my mom. It is pretty quiet. Infiniti claims they've even improved on parts of the Merc:

The GLA was a pretty quiet car, I'm impressed that the Infiniti will be even moreso. Also, don't be surprised if the Infiniti InTouch Audio has noise-canceling capabilities, as well.

I agree though, the QX30 looks splendid. If I need a 3rd car as a baby hauler, and I can lease one of these very cheap, I'll get it no questions.

Exactly what I needed to ear and the GLA & Q predecessors make me less worried about "first year blues"

mkenyon

Banned
Exactly what I needed to ear and the GLA & Q predecessors make me less worried about "first year blues"
For what it's worth, every single time I've taken my Infiniti to the dealer has felt like the best possible interaction I could have. They take care of everything, and have even done some work ahead of time to save me possible issues in the future.

I'm having a hard time imagining buying another brand after this experience.

Stinkles

If it ends up being too pricey, might I suggest a CPO EX37/QX50.

I might cave on an EVO X MR before then, but I think I'll be able to stay strong.

Needs to be less than $50k after tax. I suspect it will be easily, but you never know.

SliChillax

I don't find anything objectively wrong with them at all. It's just not my cup of tea. I've always disliked Volkswagen driving dynamics, as well as all of the inputs, subjectively. Same with Audi.

Well you have the M135i which offers awd or rwd but that's too ugly in my opinion, the A45 but it's too expensive and the Focus RS which might be the best of the bunch but comes only with a manual if you dislike that (I know I do if I'm going to daily drive it)

AlphaSnake

Any idea what estimated MSRP on the QX30 is likely to be? I have to stay under a certain cap.

Needs to be less than $50k after tax. I suspect it will be easily, but you never know.

Oh, man. I wouldn't even worry about that one bit. The Mercedes GLA250 starts at $32,500 for a base FWD. Infiniti will probably come in $800 under that, if not more, and offer more standard equipment (the Infiniti's standard interior embarrasses the cheap Merc's look).

A QX30 AWD will probably be $35K. With a few options you should still be below $40K.

mkenyon

Banned
Well you have the M135i which offers awd or rwd but that's too ugly in my opinion, the A45 but it's too expensive and the Focus RS which might be the best of the bunch but comes only with a manual if you dislike that (I know I do if I'm going to daily drive it)
My lists of wants:

1) AWD, I live in the Pac NW, and it's nice to put my foot down any time of the year. And for going over passes.
2) Turbo and aftermarket goodness, or just amazing power out of the gate
3) 5 doors - hatch
4) More than a souped up econocar in terms of appointment and interior for making longer trips comfy.
5) Suspension, driving dynamics, and seating position not wrecked for the sake of being a Crossover.

I'd kill for a QX50 on the same suspension and tires as the sedan with the 400HP TT. I'd buy the Macan S in a heartbeat if I could afford it, and have thought very heavily about a CPO GLA45, but it's just a bit too pricey for what it is, IMO.

I don't mind manual at all for a DD as right now I only go through two stop lights on my 30 min commute, and in the future will hopefully have an even shorter commute once I move to Bend, OR. Home office, ideally.

This list seems pretty impossible, so I will probably end up just getting a sedan version of what fits the bill.

AlphaSnake

We don't have these in the US.

We just got the Focus RS a few months ago.

AlphaSnake

I'd kill for a QX50 on the same suspension and tires as the sedan with the 400HP TT.

This will happen. You'll just have to wait about 2 more years. Don't forget your car was pushed as a G37 wagon overseas by Infiniti. Once the new QX50 arrives, it'll boast everything you need.

mkenyon

Banned
This will happen. You'll just have to wait about 2 more years. Don't forget your car was pushed as a G37 wagon overseas by Infiniti. Once the new QX50 arrives, it'll boast everything you need.
I'm skeptical, as they just recently even raised the suspension on the QX50.

Thinking they'll have a QX50S or do something similar to the QX30/QX30S split?

SliChillax

My lists of wants:

I don't mind manual at all for a DD as right now I only go through two stop lights on my 30 min commute, and in the future will hopefully have an even shorter commute once I move to Bend, OR. Home office, ideally.

Damn you Americans and your wide, traffic-less roads.

Top Bottom