• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Automotive Discussion Thread | OT2 | Zero to pointless fighting faster than a GT86

mkenyon

Banned
Damn you Americans and your wide, traffic-less roads.
hah!

I live in a super rural part of Western Washington, and my office is on the outskirts of the nearest largish town.

The traffic in the US as soon as you get near a major city is generally fucking awful. Especially Seattle, which is the big city around these parts.

Yep. Wrong motor.

Luxury GTs don't need horsepower. They need a perfect combination of torque and horsepower. Have you ever driven an RC-F? The car requires revs, because it's 389lbs ft of torque comes in at nearly 5000RPM. On a car weighing over 3800lbs, it wears thin. This isn't just my complaint, this has largely been a complaint of most critics out there. 0-60 times don't matter in a car like this. And I also fully expect this LC500 to weigh in close to 4000lbs, if not over, so torque issues could become even more apparent.

Luxury GTs need torquey motors. Not high revving motors where the ratio of torque to hp is way off. You want as close to 1:1 as possible for a car like this. Look at Mercedes, look at BMW, look at Jaguar, and look at Audi. They all have hp to tq ratios that are very close on their luxury coupes. Hell, even look at the Lexus LS460 itself, it uses a well balanced motor (albeit one that is VERY old and outdated), but it has torque that comes in early enough.

Again, as I said before, the 10-speed transmission will help with the lack of low-end torque, but I suspect much of the press will not be delighted with this motor in this car unless the gear ratios are absolutely spot on to mask these deficiencies.

This is pretty spot on. If I'm cruising in a luxury GT I want to gas it at any rpm and feel the wheels scrabble for grip. Leave the revs for weekend sportscars.

Are there any wagons with 20-21 inch wheels that still unambiguously look like wagons? I feel like the nonstop increase in average wheel size is part of why wagons and crossovers seem to blend together, along with the general increases in all dimensions for autos.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Are there any wagons with 20-21 inch wheels that still unambiguously look like wagons? I feel like the nonstop increase in average wheel size is part of why wagons and crossovers seem to blend together, along with the general increases in all dimensions for autos.

There was the Dodge Magnum (in Europe: Chrysler 300 Touring Wagon). But that sold like crap here for the most part.

The upcoming Volvo V90 may offer 20s, who knows.

Do we know if the 4-cylinder in the new Q60 is the powertrain from the CLA or an in-house design? And if it will be available with AWD?

Made the mistake of showing photos to the missus :|

Qblivion

There is an 86 300zx with a bad crank sensor for $1000 on craigslist. Assuming that really is the only thing wrong with it that seems like a good deal. Should I?

It is an auto but still. Z car.

AlphaSnake

Do we know if the 4-cylinder in the new Q60 is the powertrain from the CLA or an in-house design? And if it will be available with AWD?

Made the mistake of showing photos to the missus :|

Yes, it's the same motor as the Mercedes, jointly created by both companies. The premium for the TT with 300HP won't be that much more expensive. Don't stick her with a lowly 4-banger.

Damn you Americans and your wide, traffic-less roads.

Lol if only.

From my office to my house at the bottom edge of the map:

12208315_10208087847056485_3936939762187200247_n.jpg

Doesn't matter what highway I take, 360, 12/408 or even 161 which is the toll road... it's like this every single day. What's worse is that this is only my commute... if you look at the entire Dallas area during afternoon rush hour, it's like hell on a screen... so much red and orange everywhere.

No Love

Banned
Porsche is king. Cayman is king. I am now a worshipper.

Met up with Evo X a few nights ago and checked out his Cayman GTS.

👍👍👍👍👍👍😂😂😂😂😂😂

Porsche is my lord and saviour.

Absolutely brilliant. I'm getting a Porsche. I'll post up a video later.

Lol if only.

Doesn't matter what highway I take, 360, 12/408 or even 161 which is the toll road... it's like this every single day. What's worse is that this is only my commute... if you look at the entire Dallas area during afternoon rush hour, it's like hell on a screen... so much red and orange everywhere.

lol Dallas. That fucking city. I was out in Arlington but every so often needed to go into Dallas after work and man. Man. Never seen a city that more needed an efficient public transit system, but was so ill equipped to have one. They built the whole place around everyone having a car so everything is too spread out for public transit, so now it's just a shit show.

👍👍👍👍👍👍😂😂😂😂😂😂

One of us! One of us! Gooble Gobble! Gooble Gobble! One of us! One of us!

matmanx1

There is an 86 300zx with a bad crank sensor for $1000 on craigslist. Assuming that really is the only thing wrong with it that seems like a good deal. Should I?

I wouldn't buy an automatic but if you are comfortable with it then see if the seller will let you have an inspection done to see what else the car might need. $1000 isn't much of a gamble unless the car needs thousands more to actually be safe and driveable.

You never really know what's lurking under the skin of an older car and it could either turn out to be a great deal or your worse nightmare. The only way to know is to have a qualified mechanic take a good look at it for you. At least that way you know what you are getting in to.

ameratsu

Take any ad that says "only needs _____" with a massive grain of salt. If that were the only thing wrong with it, they would fix it themselves and sell it for far more money.

SliChillax

Lol if only.

I come from a country where the main roads are always blocked, especially after 19:00 o clock when they block the boulevard to make it a pedestrian walkway for no reason whatsoever. There is stupid traffic at all times, it takes me half an hour to drive less than 1 kilometer until I get out of the city into the winding roads. If I had a manual I would have killed myself a long time ago. I wish I had a car here in Coventry where I currently go to uni because there's almost to no traffic at all.

TylerD

������������������������

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-COBUIBY16U&t=52s

-----------

Parts are on the way. Power steering return hose, water pump and pulley, thermostat, O-Ring for suspected DISA vacuum leak fix and a steering coupler. I've had a check engine light on so long that I forgot about the thermal oil level sensor code and didn't order one before my last oil change.

I pulled codes this morning before I placed the order:
- thermal oil level sensor
- mapped thermostat cooling - mechanical
- misfire cyl 2
- mf cyl 4
- mf on several cylinders
- mixture prep bank 1
- mixture prep bank 2
- mf cyl 5
- mf cyl 3
- mf cyl 6

All those mixture and misfire codes could be cleared by a $13 O-Ring. Exciting stuff.

I miss my old engine and accessories :(

Made appointment to get my driver-side air bag replaced at the dealer (TAKATA) and an appointment to get the front left suspension popping diagnosed. Still haven't been able to figure it out. Didn't have any play in the tie-rods so i'm thinking more along the lines of control arm ball joint. Only the bushings were replaced previously by the PO.

SliChillax

My pick would be the GT-R Black Edition for the sub £100k budget. Though having tested my other brother in laws firms Carrera 4S, it is pretty damn magnificent. Never tried a Cayman though, presumably they're almost as quick.

Well the Exige is like a 3rd car, the GTR can also be a daily or a second car :p

So a local dealership has the new V6 Mustang for $22k, and an base model Ecobosst for $23k.

I'm fncking tempted right now lol.

lol Dallas. That fucking city. I was out in Arlington but every so often needed to go into Dallas after work and man. Man. Never seen a city that more needed an efficient public transit system, but was so ill equipped to have one. They built the whole place around everyone having a car so everything is too spread out for public transit, so now it's just a shit show.

It really is a shit show.

I spent a couple of weeks last year working in downtown Dallas and rush hour was such a fncking nightmare. I ended up parking my car at my friend's apartment in Bishop Arts then took an Uber to the nearest DART station then used that to get in the office lol. I'm glad my boss was awesome enough to comp my travel costs that week coz that was some BS.

I come from a country where the main roads are always blocked, especially after 19:00 o clock when they block the boulevard to make it a pedestrian walkway for no reason whatsoever. There is stupid traffic at all times, it takes me half an hour to drive less than 1 kilometer until I get out of the city into the winding roads. If I had a manual I would have killed myself a long time ago. I wish I had a car here in Coventry where I currently go to uni because there's almost to no traffic at all.

Back when I used to work at a MLB stadium, they shut the roads for the valet service and emergency traffic, not for pedestrians lol. But they always had alternate routes and the traffic actually was never bad except for when before the game starts and ends.

What they're doing up there sounds dumb.

SliChillax

That's Albania in a nutshell. A country run by people who haven't even finished elementary school because abusing the system made more money for them more quickly. No one knows what they're doing. I can talk days about how shitty my country is but I dont want to get carried away.

AlphaSnake

That's Albania in a nutshell. A country run by people who haven't even finished elementary school because abusing the system made more money for them more quickly. No one knows what they're doing. I can talk days about how shitty my country is but I dont want to get carried away.

Oh believe me, having known plenty of Albanians, I know Albania is a terrible place to live.

Oddly enough, a lot of Albanians that escape the country move to places like the US and Canada only to try and corrupt and scheme the system and end up in jail over stupid shit. Like...why? Why would you ask for freedom, and then wash it away by laundering or not paying taxes?

SliChillax

Oh believe me, having known plenty of Albanians, I know Albania is a terrible place to live.

Oddly enough, a lot of Albanians that escape the country move to places like the US and Canada only to try and corrupt and scheme the system and end up in jail over stupid shit. Like...why? Why would you ask for freedom, and then wash it away by laundering or not paying taxes?

Because they are raised in a system that only teaches them to survive that way, they are raised with that mentality. Others were raised in an oppressed country with a crazy dictator and a communist regime until the late 90's and my generation (I'm 20) is the one suffering mostly from it, that's why a lot of Albanian students don't stay in their country. Main problem of Albania is the education system which is beyond horrible and that is clearly visible with our politicians, they make Trump look like a god. I left Albania when I was in 4th grade with my parents to move to Italy, then to Greece where my father opened his business. After living 3 years abroad then we returned back to Albania so my father could expand his business and that was hell for me. 7th grade till 12th grade when I finished high school have made me understand how much I hate the country. I finally left to study automotive design in Coventry UK.
The only good thing about Albania is cheap insurance. I can't imagine how much it would cost me to drive an M235i in the UK being 20 years old.

To answer your last question short: They don't ask for freedom, they ask for a shortcut to make money and then return back to Albania to show off. That's what most of them attempt.

AlphaSnake

Because they are raised in a system that only teaches them to survive that way, they are raised with that mentality. Others were raised in an oppressed country with a crazy dictator and a communist regime until the late 90's and my generation (I'm 20) is the one suffering mostly from it, that's why a lot of Albanian students don't stay in their country. Main problem of Albania is the education system which is beyond horrible and that is clearly visible with our politicians, they make Trump look like a god. I left Albania when I was in 4th grade with my parents to move to Italy, then to Greece where my father opened his business. After living 3 years abroad then we returned back to Albania so my father could expand his business and that was hell for me. 7th grade till 12th grade when I finished high school have made me understand how much I hate the country. I finally left to study automotive design in Coventry UK.
The only good thing about Albania is cheap insurance. I can't imagine how much it would cost me to drive an M235i in the UK being 20 years old.

To answer your last question short: They don't ask for freedom, they ask for a shortcut to make money and then return back to Albania to show off. That's what most of them attempt.

Welp, I can sympathize. I come from Russia, and a lot of Russian immigrants in NYC and Miami are crooks much in the same vein you described. It all does stem from a very similar mentality. They don't want to play by the books. For those reasons I have a very hard time trusting my own people.

grendelrt

I would rather have this as a weekend car: http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/d...ant1.modelId=10&pageNumber=1&action=topOfPage

Feels more special to me than a Cayman

Well the Exige is like a 3rd car, the GTR can also be a daily or a second car :p

I drove my Cayman daily for over a year. I picked up a truck recently so I have been driving that a lot, but the Cayman was awesome as a daily. I averaged around 25mpg as well, better than my truck lol.

SliChillax

For those reasons I have a very hard time trusting my own people.
Heh, tell me about it. I try to stay away from Albanians outside of Albania.

I drove my Cayman daily for over a year. I picked up a truck recently so I have been driving that a lot, but the Cayman was awesome as a daily. I averaged around 25mpg as well, better than my truck lol.

That's why I said the Exige is more like a 3rd car, you can't daily it. I mean you can try but it wont be as refined and comfortable as the Cayman. I also used a 981 for a month a year ago and the car was so normal to drive in the city, it was weird. Felt very comfortable, fuel consumption was great. Meanwhile the Exige will beat you up and that's why I would rather spend my money on it rather than on a Cayman.

Aw man I thought the normal V90 was a lock for the US already. From MT:

The V90, as we noted in December, is almost certainly headed to our shores. Which models we’ll get hasn’t yet been decided, but “if it’s not the regular one, [expect] the Cross Country variant,” Kersemakers says.

AlphaSnake

Their YouTube channel is top quality. Although this episode doesn't do anything for me since I'm never going to be in the position of hammering my headers, it's still nice to know.

Well, besides hammering, headers often get damaged when a car bottoms out or a rock flies into them. It happened to me on my 370Z and I always wondered if a little ding even has an affect. I figured a ding wouldn't, but that kind of beating?

Wow. Surprising

So a local dealership has the new V6 Mustang for $22k, and an base model Ecobosst for $23k.

I'm fncking tempted right now lol.

It really is a shit show.

I spent a couple of weeks last year working in downtown Dallas and rush hour was such a fncking nightmare. I ended up parking my car at my friend's apartment in Bishop Arts then took an Uber to the nearest DART station then used that to get in the office lol. I'm glad my boss was awesome enough to comp my travel costs that week coz that was some BS.

Back when I used to work at a MLB stadium, they shut the roads for the valet service and emergency traffic, not for pedestrians lol. But they always had alternate routes and the traffic actually was never bad except for when before the game starts and ends.

What they're doing up there sounds dumb.

Aren't the Ford turbo engines having problems now?

Aren't the Ford turbo engines having problems now?

Idk lol.

I just saw an ad from a local dealership selling them way under MSRP for some odd reason and I got interested.

I'm probably gonna do some research on that before I take a look this weekend though.

Mazda's Driving Matters campaign is one of the best IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UjmHOl4pU

Long live Mazda!

Man, who's cutting onions in Auto-GAF right now??

Kidding aside, I agree. This entire commercial basically sums up the life of an auto enthusiast, with or without a Mazda in the garage.

Atenhaus

Zach from TST pretty much nailed the reason why I'm looking at the CX-5 for my next vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6F3GDWGKVjE

Mazda's Driving Matters campaign is one of the best IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5UjmHOl4pU

Long live Mazda!

Seriously, I absolutely love Mazda. Ever since I bought a 2009 Speed3 a few years back I've managed to convert nearly my entire immediate family into Mazda lovers. My mom drives a CX-5 and my dad is seriously considering buying an MX-5. I'm just waiting out for a new Speed3 before I upgrade.

anyone here having a Golf 7 GTI? Thinking of getting one maybe.

what are the pros and cons?
Drove the current model for about 2 years. It's really fun to drive, liked that there were little differences to normal Golfs in the GTI, like having the honeycomb pattern on the dashboard, as a background on the screen, the golf-ball like gear knob, etc.

You definitely should spend your moned on the DCC. Without sports mode the sound of the engine is disappointing and it's the standard drivemode is more focussed on comfort, and invest in the performance package for the slip differential (and the look of the red brakes with GTI logo).

MPG was about 31.

What I didn't like is how high you seat, even with the seat completely set to the bottom. I like to sit as low as possible on a sporty car.

zjGxucX.jpg

R1jkSpJ.jpg

But here in germany my GTI cost as much as my current car, a Mustang GT, which is totally more fun to drive and looking not just another Golf with a bodykit - But in my area VW is the biggest employer so 90% of the cars on the streets are Audis and VWs

gYuuWvj.jpg

bSahQeE.jpg

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Idk lol.

I just saw an ad from a local dealership selling them way under MSRP for some odd reason and I got interested.

Allow me to save you some shoe leather and blood pressure.

That car that's way cheaper than you'd expect?

Oh it does not exist. When you get to the dealer they'll tell you all manner of reasons - here's the most typical one: "Oh sir, we only had one model at that price, however the good news is my manager is willing to extend blah blah finance blah blah something fuck you"

It's a bait and switch. Every single volume dealer does it, it's complete bullshit, and I doubt a single one has ever gotten in trouble for it. Know why?

Auto dealer networks are among the biggest financers of local and state politics. And that's also why you can't buy a Tesla in New Jersey, and you can't buy a car directly from the manufacturer ever. Because car dealers are basically Ticketmaster, inserting themselves needlessly into the auto buying process and charging you a "convenience" fee.

In short, they are almost all liars and criminals with very few exceptions.

Laekon

anyone here having a Golf 7 GTI? Thinking of getting one maybe.

what are the pros and cons?
I don't have a MK7 but the only con I can think of is maintenance cost if you aren't doing it yourself. It can be pretty high, in my opinion, for a <$30K car once parts start to go. At 62k miles the thermostat on my MKV is about to go. Because of the engine design you have to move the motor so it's $500+ in labor to replace a $30 part. This seems like a common issue also on newer versions. The DSG transmission is great but the 30-40k maintenance fee is like $800 at the dealer. Synthetic oil and premium gas also.

Every car has different strengths but I love my GTI. A WRX is the only other thing I would compare and the GTI is more refined, comfortable, and efficient while the Subaru seems more fun.

Smokey

&#128077;&#128077;&#128077;&#128077;&#128077;&#128077;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;&#128514;

lmao

nib95

Banned
Needs to be less than $50k after tax. I suspect it will be easily, but you never know.

Out of curiosity Stinkles, are there specific reasons you're sticking to the compact SUV range of vehicles? $50k is not a bad budget at all, plenty for that segment, perhaps even more.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Out of curiosity Stinkles, are there specific reasons you're sticking to the compact SUV range of vehicles? $50k is not a bad budget at all, plenty for that segment, perhaps even more.

I need clearance for snow in the winter and gravel in the summer, a luxurious quiet ride and a smallish footprint with great handling.

I just moved here. But I had to do some time in Houston first for two weeks of training for the new job. So I got a crash course in traffic. Dallas traffic is nothing to me after being in Houston. Plus I'm coming from Orlando where there is like one main artery through the city.

It's really a breeze. Although it further helps that I don't regularly have to be out in rush hour. But hey, at least Dallas does have the DART rail system which seems somewhat nice. At least gets to some notable places. More of an effort than I'm used to coming from Florida.

nib95

Banned
I need clearance for snow in the winter and gravel in the summer, a luxurious quiet ride and a smallish footprint with great handling.

Fair enough. Have you considered the newly updated 2016 BMW X1? You'd still get the 4yrs/50k miles if purchased in 2016, and the specs compare very favourably to the other cars in the class, better in-fact than the GLA.

2016 Mercedes GLA250 4MATIC - MSRP $34,500

Engine - 2 ltr Turbo (petrol)
Transmission - 7 speed Automatic
Power - 208 bhp
Torque - 258 lb-ft
Speed - 0-60 mph in 7.1 sec
Fuel economy - 28 mpg combined
Rear headroom - 35.4 in
Rear legroom - 33.9 in
Boot space - seats up - 481 litres, seats down - 1235 litres
Overall length & width - 173.9" - 71"

2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i - MSRP $34,800

Engine - 2 ltr Turbo (petrol)
Transmission - 8 speed Automatic
Power - 228 bhp
Torque - 258 lb-ft
Speed - 0-60 mph in 6.3 sec
Fuel economy - 27 mpg combined
Rear headroom - 39.4 in
Rear legroom - 36.4 in
Boot space - seats up - 505 litres, seats down - 1550 litres
Overall length & width - 174.8" - 71.7"

Can't really provide a similar spec comparison with the Infiniti QX30 as they've yet to be released, but it uses the same engine as the GLA above. The Range Rover Evoque might be another one to consider.

Random video comparison (for visual differences only).

2016 BMW X1 vs 2016 Mercedes-Benz GLA || Exterior Interior & Drive

Photo's.

Top Bottom