• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Looking back on it, the reason I stopped watching Punchline was that I was just bored with it.

The humor didn't work for me. The show felt like just a pretty face.

And maybe it does improve, but I wasn't willing to wait for it.

As I've grown older, I find myself less willing to wait for a show to improve. There are occasional exceptions to that, but I think generally when a show doesn't have it together at the start, the future typically isn't bright.

I dunno if you got to it, but the one interesting thing it had going for it was it was basically
Groundhog Day, had a whole time loop thing going on. The ghost of the guy was sent back in time to possess old body, and new ghost would then learn new stuff, and get sent back in time to possess old body. Also he was a she (but not really), and there was some body-swapping and they were subject to experiments 'cause they all had that superpower that he gets when he sees panties so it's a guy in a girl's body for reasons.
Anime.

Okay so I didn't put a lot of effort into that explanation. Maybe someone who actually liked it could do better.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Having just read the episode 2 and 3 impressions of his and seeing no such flaw, I'd like you to point out those bits.
zzz.

I strongly dislike the notion put forward in the referenced article that Chitanda is mindfully "managing" Oreki. When Oreki says his solutions to the previous mysteries were luck she does not "recognize it as a lie". The author is too strongly reading into the translation maybe, but also shows a crucial misunderstanding of who Chitanda is as a person.

So for this:
Chitanda is having none of this. A quick shot of her lip stiffening cuts to “then let me rely on that luck,” a line that simultaneously respects his self-image while recognizing it as a lie. You can’t rely on luck, and Chitanda knows what Oreki has isn’t luck.
Chitanda is not the holder of some greater knowledge. She wants to take a chance on Oreki's luck, even if it is just that. She does not hold some greater knowledge that she is using to manipulate Oreki. Chitanda's naïvety is core to how she operates, and even if she can get Oreki to help her she does this unknowingly. This is why Irisu's tasks shatter things later on in the series.
This read:
Initially guarded fronts give way to each of them admitting a degree of weakness, and coming to a stronger friendship as a result.
On the scene just doesn't really line up with what I see going on. There's not really an admitted weakness. Chitanda opens up an entryway to her past for Oreki that holds the potential for a deeper bond, and his indulgence in at least respectfully playing along keeps that entryway open.

What should really be emphasized about this scene is how these characters are being brought together. It's by characters we will never really see or meet, but they have a profound impact on the story. Chitanda draws similarities between her lost uncle and Oreki that pushes her to trust him. Oreki is prodded along by his sister to reach out to others, which is maybe the greatest prompt to him helping someone else in need. I don't really feel like the bond between Oreki and Chitanda is completely built at this point in the story, like the article seems to suggest. There is a trust these characters place in one another, but it's reliant on factors influenced outside of Oreki and Chitanda interacting with one another. At this point though, these characters are still mostly strangers, enabled by stronger outside connections.

Not to just keep going on forever, but this also stood out:
And just like when he betrayed her feelings in regards to the club poster “mystery,” Oreki is shamed by his own actions. He can’t betray that existing trust.
This is not really the right read. After suggesting Chitanda ask around to others close to her, it comes to light that Chitanda does not want to openly discuss this topic with others. Oreki does not feel shame in the sense that he is betraying Chitanda's trust, the sense of shame comes from Oreki missing the bluntly obvious. For someone who is supposed to piece data together and draw logical conclusions he was unable to read the situation he found himself in. Not the best way to start things off when someone asks you to be their detective.

javac

I'm so bored and time is going by soo slowly D: I'm thinking of just watching something right this minute to pass time. Two totally different shows but I have Tatami Galaxy and Bubblegum Crisis on hand since both aren't too long and are within arms reach, I'm too lazy to grab anything else. Bubblegum looks so up my alley, I might just pop it in.

However....I still need to watch...City Hunter 3 so I might just...watch that instead. I need more City Hunter...it won't be as good as CH1 or 2 but it can't be that bad...<_<......>_>

Andrew J.

Chitanda is not the holder of some greater knowledge. She wants to take a chance on Oreki's luck, even if it is just that. She does not hold some greater knowledge that she is using to manipulate Oreki. Chitanda's naïvety is core to how she operates, and even if she can get Oreki to help her she does this unknowingly. This is why Irisu's tasks shatter things later on in the series.

I don't know about Chitanda being manipulative, but she absolutely believed from minute one that Oreki was really a genius, no matter how much he denied it.

dimb

I don't know about Chitanda being manipulative, but she absolutely believed from minute one that Oreki was really a genius, no matter how much he denied it.
My point is less about Chitanda's general perception of Oreki and more about the context of that specific conversation. Chitanda realizes that there is something unique that makes Oreki successful, and she is even willing to concede that it is luck. Luck can be its own talent. Whatever it happens to be, she feels Oreki is the best shot she has to uncovering the past of her uncle. His deductive skills play a limited factor in why she is coming to him.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
My point is less about Chitanda's general perception of Oreki and more about the context of that specific conversation. Chitanda realizes that there is something unique that makes Oreki successful, and she is even willing to concede that it is luck. Luck can be its own talent. Whatever it happens to be, she feels Oreki is the best shot she has to uncovering the past of her uncle. His deductive skills play a limited factor in why she is coming to him.
I didn't even know that people considered Chitanda to be the one manipulating Oreki, particularly when you understand his sister's role in pretty much everything that happens in the series. The series is premised on the fact that the only reason he meets Chitanda is because of his sister in the first place.

Bakuman S3:
Maybe bit weaker than previous seasons as this had too much of the silly romance stuff of the main pairing but still all the manga creating stuff was interesting. Also dat Death Note reference lol.

dimb

I didn't even know that people considered Chitanda to be the one manipulating Oreki, particularly when you understand his sister's role in pretty much everything that happens in the series. The series is premised on the fact that the only reason he meets Chitanda is because of his sister in the first place.
Right, but the connection Chitanda has with Oreki is less obvious, because we do not see things from her perspective. The lines she draws between her uncle and Oreki are what prompts her to trust him. It's not really about her thinking he's some ace detective.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Right, but the connection Chitanda has with Oreki is less obvious, because we do not see things from her perspective. The lines she draws between her uncle and Oreki are what prompts her to trust him. It's not really about her thinking he's some ace detective.
Right, he heals a fracture in her identity, and then she reciprocates after his fall from the film arc during the pool episode. That's why their bond gets stronger and they begin to be on more equal footing in the second half of the series.

And I haven't watched the series in a while, but I imagine the implication is that Oreki's sister knew that Chitanda had this problem - since she's from a famous family after all - so she was hoping something would happen by throwing her hapless brother at her.

From the New World Episode 6
download.png
WAIT, WHAT!? WHY?

I feel like this episode was a bit of a step back for the series. Learning about the world and how it came to be like this was the best part of the show.
Watching Satoru just wreck house for a whole episode was okay, but not terribly interesting. Wasn't help by the fact that this was the least interesting episode visually so far.

Also maybe this was a mistranslated or something, but...
...how does he know what bullets are?

zzz.

I strongly dislike the notion put forward in the referenced article that Chitanda is mindfully "managing" Oreki. When Oreki says his solutions to the previous mysteries were luck she does not "recognize it as a lie". The author is too strongly reading into the translation maybe, but also shows a crucial misunderstanding of who Chitanda is as a person.

So for this:

This read:

On the scene just doesn't really line up with what I see going on. There's not really an admitted weakness. Chitanda opens up an entryway to her past for Oreki that holds the potential for a deeper bond, and his indulgence in at least respectfully playing along keeps that entryway open.

What should really be emphasized about this scene is how these characters are being brought together. It's by characters we will never really see or meet, but they have a profound impact on the story. Chitanda draws similarities between her lost uncle and Oreki that pushes her to trust him. Oreki is prodded along by his sister to reach out to others, which is maybe the greatest prompt to him helping someone else in need. I don't really feel like the bond between Oreki and Chitanda is completely built at this point in the story, like the article seems to suggest. There is a trust these characters place in one another, but it's reliant on factors influenced outside of Oreki and Chitanda interacting with one another. At this point though, these characters are still mostly strangers, enabled by stronger outside connections.

Not to just keep going on forever, but this also stood out:

This is not really the right read. After suggesting Chitanda ask around to others close to her, it comes to light that Chitanda does not want to openly discuss this topic with others. Oreki does not feel shame in the sense that he is betraying Chitanda's trust, the sense of shame comes from Oreki missing the bluntly obvious. For someone who is supposed to piece data together and draw logical conclusions he was unable to read the situation he found himself in. Not the best way to start things off when someone asks you to be their detective.

Thanks.

I actually pretty much fully agree with you and I should've been more critical with him. I kinda excused his idea of a manipulative Chitanda because I figured he meant to say that she does it subconsciously. But yeh, even that would still go too far against her characterization.

I mean there's also this part

Oreki characterized Chitanda as an airhead, but she&#8217;s clearly perfectly intelligent.

which further implies the lack of Chitanda's naivety but in actuality these aspects aren't completely mutually exclusive. Chitanda can perform tasks perfectly fine if she's given enough directions (like schoolwork and cooking), however, when it comes to reading social interactions correctly and responding accordingly, there she clearly struggles. And if you'd say she cannot be considered intelligent then by some definition, then Creamer's statement makes no sense to begin with.

Bakuman S3:
Maybe bit weaker than previous seasons as this had too much of the silly romance stuff of the main pairing but still all the manga creating stuff was interesting. Also dat Death Note reference lol.

I loved Frame in Flame, and also the PCP voices and such. But Frame in Flame easily one of OLDCODEX best songs, it made Reversi so good.

Andrew J.

Uh, no. Luck doesn't actually exist. Chitanda may be naive, but she's not superstitious.

All I know is that they took three movies and spliced them together into some incoherent mess. I can't remember much beyond that.

By changing several plot details and even removing other plot details.

I'm not giving them an inch. We already know that they're cutting 1/8th of the show out of existence.

Cornbread78

There is no need for another thread. Once we hit 200 we can all move to the Concrete Revolutio OT instead.

How cute, you're trying so hard..

Final Approach ep.7-9
More trash, buy at least we got some good comedy and the stupid drama bits were gone. Thankfully, these episodes are only 14 mins and it's a 12 ep series. ..

Jintor

funnily enough the first and second halves of that movie are still really great. It's just when the Golden Digimentals rolls around the entire thing really tanks.

funnily enough the first and second halves of that movie are still really great. It's just when the Golden Digimentals rolls around the entire thing really tanks.

With or without the edits, the third part still would've been hated.

The dub just foreshadows how shit the editing really is.

It's even more baffling that on the movie poster, they use the 02 designs of the Adventure kids, as if they were going to play a role in that third part.

JulianImp

So I wanted to change my CR sub to the three month plan but the site wouldn't let me, so I decided to cancel my subscription yesterday to try and renew it today... Now I've learned that not only will I be getting another 14-day trial, but CR has released region-specific prices for my country which make subscribing way cheaper than before. Yay!

Just a thumbs up in case there're other LAGAFfers in here who were either looking into getting a CR sub or are already subscribed to it and are still playing the international sub price.

Sterok

It's Smile people. Smile. It's not even Fresh or Heartcatch. It's just Smile. The one you're supposed to laugh at. The one you're supposed to mock even if you like it. So go along with the glitters. Laugh at the funnies. Laugh at the cheesiness. Laugh at the pointless changes. Laugh at the cringeworthy pop culture references. Laugh to have a good time. And most importantly, laugh in happiness that it's just Smile receiving this treatment and not something even slightly serious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom