• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Autumn Anime 2015 |OT| Like leaves on a tree… we’re falling one by one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks all. That's a little disappointing, I usually have a lot of fun with shounen stuff, and this sounded like a fun twist, but it just felt like the execution was kind of off. Oh well, I gave it a fair shot, guess I'll go watch something good instead, like Yuru Yuri.

If you enjoy shounen, almost sure you are going to enjoy OPM poking fun at a lot of shounen tropes. Its true that Saitama will always oneshot everything but with the introduction of more interesting characters, it makes the premise much more interesting, its not always the same joke.

If you enjoy shounen, almost sure you are going to enjoy OPM poking fun at a lot of shounen tropes. Its true that Saitama will always oneshot everything but with the introduction of more interesting characters, it makes the premise much more interesting, its not always the same joke.

Eh, it was three episodes of the same jokes, I have a hard time believing it'll get much better. And I didn't feel like the shounen trope jokes were particularly good or clever ones, honestly. I'll admit, though, that cyborg dude fighting was probably the most enjoyable parts of those three episodes, so maybe adding more people who aren't boring and predictable would help? But then that kind of defeats the central point of the show, it feels like. Maybe I'll give it another couple episodes if I get bored and have nothing else to watch. Thanks for the input, though.

you're comparing apples with lesbian oranges lol, but fair play to you all the same

Heh, not really trying to compare anything, honestly, just having a bit of fun with the fact that I enjoy a pretty wide variety of genres. Though I actually ended up going and watching Yuki Yuna, which I somehow missed when it aired however long ago that was.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 24

Manjoume-san is back and so good especially when he is talking to Juudai in his mind. The two are the best things in this anime and Ive missed it so much, I cant wait until he duels him in the real again.

Manjoume also makes the best faces, its so funny considering his personality.

jbug617

Banned
Funimation is launching a cable channel next year
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...ls-plans-for-new-cable-channel-300192374.html
FLOWER MOUND, Texas, Dec. 14, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- FUNimation announced today that it is ending its content and brand partnership with Olympusat on December 31, 2015, to distribute the FUNimation Channel. After that time, Olympusat will no longer be broadcasting FUNimation titles. FUNimation confirmed that it will be relaunching the FUNimation Channel in 2016 with a renewed focus on delivering fans the very best selection of anime content in the market. Further details on the relaunch of the all new FUNimation Channel will be announced soon.

"We're committed to making it easy to discover and connect with anime, and our new cable channel will provide the best in anime entertainment that fans have come to expect," said Mike DuBoise, COO of FUNimation. "We are grateful to all subscribers who have supported the FUNimation Channel over the last 10 years. While we finalize the new channel for launch next year, I encourage viewers to subscribe to our streaming service now at FUNimation.com – so they don't miss a single episode of their favorite titles."

OPM certainly has no high brow humor and while it likes to make fun of some fighting shounen tropes, it applies even more of 'em.

After the first couple episodes OPM branches out a bit more and adds a lot of world building concerning the super hero and monster aspects present in that world. That's nice for a change but also a necessity because the one-punch punchline does get old rather fast on its own.

It's somewhat fun but I'm mostly enjoying it for the animation showcase.

Phatmac

http://store.steampowered.com/app/420680/

GKzinBt.gif
I can finally be an anime girl and leave this shitty world!

Yu-Gi-Oh! ARC-V Episode 85
CWRvQ2-W4AAn03i.png

Fantastic duel overall. Serene going from Pendulum Summon to Fusion was one of the best moments.

Yuuri next episode, finally, though first Reira getting a chance to be all cool. Nice

I assume you have to be a shounen fanboy to appreciate OPM.

Hardly, I think that's more descriptive of Ushio and Tora or Dragon Ball Super. I think it plays off superhero tropes as much as shounen ones. The comedy is subjective and I can understand people not liking that but as an adaptation of one of the best looking manga series currently being published it is ace. I think the biggest complaints I've seen is a lack of a main narrative thread and the lack of any important women in the series, the first one I really don't care about the second I can completely agree with, OPM is worse then One Piece even when it comes to that. It gets slightly better later but not at a point the anime will pick up on.

Hardly, I think that's more descriptive of Ushio and Tora or Dragon Ball Super. I think it plays off superhero tropes as much as shounen ones. The comedy is subjective and I can understand people not liking that but as an adaptation of one of the best looking manga series currently being published it is ace. I think the biggest complaints I've seen is a lack of a main narrative thread and the lack of any important women in the series, the first one I really don't care about the second I can completely agree with, OPM is worse then One Piece even when it comes to that. It gets slightly better later but not at a point the anime will pick up on.

Is this really an issue with anime considering there are plenty of shows with all (if not largely) female casts? From a western perspective I see the argument of not having many and the few that are there are pretty sexualized though.

Now if we're speaking specifically shonen then yeah the issue exists.

Now if we're speaking specifically shonen then yeah the issue exists.

I'm talking about shonen series. Of the shonen I can think of, FMA I guess, Soul Eater and Medaka Box (duh) have the most representation, and by representation I mean that they are there and actually do shit. Nami and Robin don't fuckin' do anything but have bad proportions. When you look at the Big 3...

One Piece -

Strawhats - 9 members, 2 girls, 7 guys. Robin and Nami do nothing. Well, OP has evolved so that Luffy is Goku and Zoro is Vegeta so I guess they are in line with everybody else!

Shichibukai - 7 members, 1 girl, 6 guys. This gets even worse then you consider that there have been 11 Shichibukai we know of and Hancock is still the only girl.

Yonkou - 4 members, 1 girl 3 guys. That's ok I guess, but Big Mom is probably some ugly monstrosity.

Naruto -

Akatsuki - 11 members, 1 girl, 10 guys. Lol.

Kages - 5 members, 1 girl, 4 guys. The Kages switch around a lot but I think the Mizukage was in all the meetings and I don't remember other girls.

Bleach -

Captains - 13 members, 2 girls, 11 guys. Lel.

Espada - 10 members, 1 girl, 9 guys.

Vandenreich - I cannot be assed to remember how many members there are in this shitshow.

I don't know what I'm trying to say other then most of the time it seems like a girl is thrown in as a token thing. Even then, the S Ranks in One Punch Man are 17 members, 1 girl, 16 guys. At least Tatsumaki is the most important one I guess????

javac

It's less than two weeks until Christmas and Fate/Stay Night holds as the top selling item in our Holiday Sale! Turn A Gundam makes its first appearance in the top 5 below. Check it out!

1. Fate/Stay Night (Sentai Filmworks)
2. Girls und Panzer (Sentai Filmworks)
3. ef - A Tale of Memories/Melodies (Sentai Filmworks)
4. Towanoquon (Sentai Filmworks)
5. Turn A Gundam (Sunrise)
Right Stuf Facebook

-----

In regards to a G Gundam Blu-ray release:
G will be a while as they are remastering in Japan right now.
@shawnekleckner

I'm talking about shonen series. Of the shonen I can think of, FMA I guess, Soul Eater and Medaka Box (duh) have the most representation, and by representation I mean that they are there and actually do shit. Nami and Robin don't fuckin' do anything but have bad proportions. When you look at the Big 3...

One Piece -

Strawhats - 9 members, 2 girls, 7 guys. Robin and Nami do nothing. Well, OP has evolved so that Luffy is Goku and Zoro is Vegeta so I guess they are in line with everybody else!

Shichibukai - 7 members, 1 girl, 6 guys. This gets even worse then you consider that there have been 11 Shichibukai we know of and Hancock is still the only girl.

Yonkou - 4 members, 1 girl 3 guys. That's ok I guess, but Big Mom is probably some ugly monstrosity.

Naruto -

Kages - 5 members, 1 girl, 4 guys. The Kages switch around a lot but I think the Mizukage was in all the meetings and I don't remember other girls.

Bleach -

Captains - 13 members, 2 girls, 11 guys. Lel.

Espada - 10 members, 1 girl, 9 guys.

Vandenreich - I cannot be assed to remember how many members there are in this shitshow.

I don't know what I'm trying to say other then most of the time it seems like a girl is thrown in as a token thing. Even then, the S Ranks in One Punch Man are 17 members, 1 girl, 16 guys. At least Tatsumaki is the most important one I guess????

If someone want a boys action series with large or equivalent female representation then surely they would choose something with a female lead, I dont see the issue unless one is proposing it should be a requirement that ALL stories need to be built using the same formula and character representation? Actually even if that werent the case, then someone can just read whatever it is that interests them with the cast makeup they desire, last I checked there isnt a drought in manga, in fact, there are actually thousands of manga out there. Even among the list you chose, someone could just read Twin Star Exorcists, My Hero Academia, World Trigger even, BLack Clover. Why box someone in with only reading Weekly Shonen Jump or Weekly Shonen Magazine?

If someone want a boys action series with large or equivalent female representation then surely they would choose something with a female lead, I dont see the issue unless one is proposing it should be a requirement that ALL stories need to be built using the same formula and character representation? Actually even if that werent the case, then someone can just read whatever it is that interests them with the cast makeup they desire, last I checked there isnt a drought in manga, in fact, there are actually thousands of manga out there. Even among the list you chose, someone could just read Twin Star Exorcists, My Hero Academia, World Trigger even, BLack Clover. Why box someone in with only reading Weekly Shonen Jump or Weekly Shonen Magazine?

Because I specifically chose to talk about the series that are most popular in Japan and in the West?

And no, I'm not proposing that there should be a set 7:3 ratio or anything like that because that's idiotic. I think the actual problem is that these characters get sidelined so hard.

phaze

Naruto -

Just a correctionl; don't really remember what is the squad at the end but for the vast majority of the time when they are present, you've got Mei and Tsunade. So it's 2/5.

Also, Konoha 12 has 4 girls in it.

New PV for Undefeated Bahamut Chronicle

http://youtu.be/LYTSjZL0rl4

Will watch for pink hair.

Wait, I remember it being mentioned that the second season of Bahamut will be something completely different in tone to the first, is this it ?

Wait, I remember it being mentioned that the second season of Bahamut will be something completely different in tone to the first, is this it ?

This is an LN adaptation; it is completely unrelated to the Rage of Bahamut anime based on the mobile game, either the Genesis anime that has a second season in the works or the upcoming Manaria Friends anime featuring a female duo as the protagonists.

*sees that Funi is gonna release the second season of Psycho-Pass 2 in March*

Goddammit, can't we all just pretend that season never happened?

Just give us the movie.

phaze

This is an LN adaptation; it is completely unrelated to the Rage of Bahamut anime based on the mobile game, either the Genesis anime that has a second season in the works or the upcoming Manaria Friends anime featuring a female duo as the protagonists.

Ah so Genesis has a confirmed sequel, independent of that Manaria thing ? I guess the two got jumbled in my mind. <breathes a sigh of relief>

So, what is everyone's top 3 most hated anime this year?

Tokyo Ghoul: Root A is probably the closest it gets for me. An abomination both script and production wise.

Aldnoah Zero is a terrible show but at least you could laugh at how awful and silly the plot became. And it looked decently throughout.

Dunno about more, I drop everything that I don't enjoy quickly if I don't have any attachment to the franchise. I guess Soul of Gold might count but I knew it was going to be an atrocity coming into it. I got what I expected and I'm unable to even be angry with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom