• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of you guys who are afraid of posting things because you might get banned need to loosen up. Can you imagine if everybody on GAF had this attitude? Were would all the funny and interesting threads be?

Besides, Mods are quite lenient when it comes to bans. GAF is like one giant party WOOOO

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gaz Pwnage said:
some of you guys who are afraid of posting things because you might get banned need to loosen up. Can you imagine if everybody on GAF had this attitude? Were would all the funny and interesting threads be?

Besides, Mods are quite lenient when it comes to bans. GAF is like one giant party WOOOO
It's no secret that the FAQ thread is outdated. There are things in this thread that can get people banned for as long as 6 months. It's good to know.

I got a 3 month ban when I asked an OP to post the nude pics of his girlfriend. He said in the OP "i have nude pics i don't know what to do with".

Knowing not to do that is helpful. I've seen it happen to at least 20 people combined from multiple threads.

zoku88 said:
Red Scarlet got banned not too long ago
Earlier in this thread this was discussed. Apparently it was undone because mods can't decide themselves to ban mods without talking to Evilore.

I have seen disciple being done. Two mods being demoded.

hteng

Banned
first ban was about woman drivers

my second ban, which was just lifted yesterday was posting the word
faggot
and i was banned for a month, i think it's too harsh though

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
MThanded said:
1. If you only have an arcade stick for two of the current gen consoles and suggest that it would be nice to have a port of a game onto one of them consoles you will get banned. Even if you own the console that the game is originally on and you do not bad mouth it at all....

2. Don't joke about seeing pics if someone says that have pics of some chick they were once with. Even if its a joke you run the risk of getting banned

3. Don't social engineer someone to post their password...

These are the three ways i got banned
Ha, I feel like I was the cause of a mild culling on the OT due to one of my girl-age threads. My emo self destroyed gaf-lives.

hteng said:

my second ban, which was just lifted yesterday was posting the word *snip* and i was banned for a month, i think it's too harsh though

Id remove it just in case if i were you....just my opinion.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
hteng said:

faggot
That's one thing actually in the FAQ and gaf is gay friendly. They are still fighting for marriage rights and still being discriminated against.

Shurs

This is a good idea for a thread. While I'm clear on what is firmly ban-worthy, it's always nice to know how the Mods feel about things. I've never been banned, though there were a few times I've gotten into drawn out arguments that, in retrospect, I probably should have backed away from. I assume that my pristine record is likely due to being a relative unknown here on GAF. The manner in which the Mods handle the board is one of the reasons I enjoy posting on GAF. They're firm but they're also fair.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
hteng said:

faggot
The funny thing is that the off-topic forum for Penny Arcade co-opted that word. It's practically a term of endearment over there. But any emulator talk is an insta-ban. Things like that are why it pays to lurk.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
One time I got a ban where I joked around about the Team Ico game magically sucking just for being on the Ps3 since it had this string of games that were mega hyped (Lair and some other game that had the word Heaven or something in it) turned out to be clunkers. Oh well. It only lasted a month and I think I wrote a book or something during that time.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
DeathNote said:
It's no secret that the FAQ thread is outdated. There are things in this thread that can get people banned for as long as 6 months. It's good to know.

I got a 3 month ban when I asked an OP to post the nude pics of his girlfriend. He said in the OP "i have nude pics i don't know what to do with".

Knowing not to do that is helpful. I've seen it happen to at least 20 people combined from multiple threads.

Earlier in this thread this was discussed. Apparently it was undone because mods can't decide themselves to ban mods without talking to Evilore.

I have seen disciple being done. Two mods being demoded.
You aren't alone. I think they batch banned us or something! that thread was a massacre:lol

Like I said, don't even joke about it.
I thought mine was clearly an offhanded joke (it was preceded with a lecture on why posting them would be a shitty thing to do) but I still think a lack of j/ks or :D s is what killed me. I should have been more clear.

It made me really sad too, considering my personality and outlook on such things. It really bothered me to be banned for THAT. I felt like a wrongly accused sex offender or something! My record would always be tarnished...
For a while I considered never coming back because I was so embarrased/insulted, but eventually I realized I just wan't clear enough.

Anyway, it pays to be clear as crystal when you are joking kids, and never ask for pics.

_Isaac

Wow that nude request rule is new to me. Wasn't there also a looong discussion about a poster posting his own penis pictures. I think it was in the anal sex thread.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Yes it was a mass banning. :lol Someone tried to edit their post "whoa, edit, don't want to be banned" and they got banned. :lol

_Isaac said:
Wow that nude request rule is new to me. Wasn't there also a looong discussion about a poster posting his own penis pictures. I think it was in the anal sex thread.
Not sure, but I'd think it has to do with requesting a user to post another person's nude pics rather than his own. Might be a legal thing. He could maybe get sued? Iunno. Or it might have annoyed a mod.

_Isaac

You know that really makes a lot of sense. You have to be a real big douche to post nude pictures of someone you know.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the strict banning is a great thing about GAF. so many other forums just let so much bullshit go unchecked.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Don't know how big it is now, but joking that PSP game X would soon be ported to the PS2 would piss a lot of people off, might result in a ban.

Also big No on any homosexual epithets (gay queer etc) even if you aren't using the words in a way to demean the gay community. Just forget them If you do use one and you aren't banned, the GAF community will make you feel pretty stupid for using it which is almost as bad. take it from me.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
truly101 said:
Don't know how big it is now, but joking that PSP game X would soon be ported to the PS2 would piss a lot of people off, might result in a ban.

Also big No on any homosexual epithets (gay queer etc) even if you aren't using the words in a way to demean the gay community. Just forget them If you do use one and you aren't banned, the GAF community will make you feel pretty stupid for using it which is almost as bad. take it from me.
this is a lesson you should apply to your day-to-day life as well. =p

Wark

Rez said:
the strict banning is a great thing about GAF. so many other forums just let so much bullshit go unchecked.

Agreed. The banning makes this forum much more enjoyable than other forums because, for the most part, it isn't saturated with random people posting annoying bullshit threads.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Rez said:
That's the thing. It's not strict, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist. Sometimes the moderation appears to be completely random.

Wark

I'm glad the first reply of a thread isn't "first!" or something like in most other forums. :lol

Schrade

Hitokage said:
In another historical point of reference, permbans are also rarely permanent. However, this was more true during a certain period around 2000-2004 than otherwise.
Please bring Wollan back :(

_Isaac

Wark said:
I'm glad the first reply of a thread isn't "first!" or something like in most other forums. :lol

Every once in a while we get a "I can't believe I made it on the first page of an NPD thread!"

MIMIC

Banned
Solstice said:
I got a 30 day ban for generally acting like a dick in the "PB&J banned from schools" thread. In hindsight, I was just being facetious, but I guess I might have taken it a bit too far. :lol

I was banned in that thread, too.

God damn...of all places, why the fuck did I wander into that thread? :lol

Sibylus

Banned
fanboi said:
I just remeber that one member was banned for sheer stupidity... was what his name again...?

The only documented case in GAF history :lol
Good 'ol Dumbass_. Best junior member ever.

Aegus

I remember the day when Red Scarlet went through the Football 08/09 season thread. Was a massacre and the primary posters in the thread just suicided their accounts in protest.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Aegus said:
I remember the day when Red Scarlet went through the Football 08/09 season thread. Was a massacre and the primary posters in the thread just suicided their accounts in protest.
wow, what had they done?

Meesh

Feep said:
I got banned once, for a few weeks. I deserved it, though. I was being mean. Just an off day, really.
I probably should've been banned once, I was being a bit(a lot?) of a dick...it was a really long day. I've learned to simply not post on "dick days". Thanks mods for not banning me :)

I got banned for saying Valkyria Chronicals could be done on Wii in a screen shot thread. What i should have said was the artsyle is waaay more suited for wii.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
I got banned for saying Valkyria Chronicals could be done on Wii in a screen shot thread. What i should have said was the artsyle is waaay more suited for wii.
Only the Wii should have cel-shaded games? I didn't like the game play but I'm very glad 360 and the ps3 devs consider cel-shading and anime art style...

DeathNote said:
Only the Wii should have cel-shaded games? Cell shaidng is

Definitely not. But as much as i loved VC, style and all, it didnt look particularly next gen especially with all the graphical filters on. Realitic games on wii look like shit so i wish more effort....wait, why am i getting into this here? I loved the game. BUY IT PEOPLE.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gamer @ Heart said:
Definitely not. But as much as i loved VC, style and all, it didnt look particularly next gen especially with all the graphical filters on. Realitic games on wii look like shit so i wish more effort....wait, why am i getting into this here? I loved the game. BUY IT PEOPLE.
My point is.. so what? Flower is a really simple game. Doesn't mean the ps3 shouldn't have it. Which is why the PSN and xbox arcade have less graphically intensive games... to compete with the Wii. Also, diversity is always great.

I'm not trying to derail. But, it's hard not to speak up because your much worse rephrased comment and what I bolded dumbfounds me.

DeathNote said:
My point is.. so what? Flower is a really simple game. Doesn't mean the ps3 shouldn't have it. Which is why the PSN and xbox arcade have less graphically intensive games... to compete with the Wii. Also, diversity is always great.

I'm not trying to derail, but your much worse rephrased comment and what I bolded dumbfounds me.

No no no. I never said or meant the the PS360 shouldnt have cel shaded games. They look fucking great in HD. My point is, i wish i saw more of VC's style on Wii because almost no developer is willing to put time and effort into making a "realistic" artstyle look good on wii. I swear dude, you are looking for something that isnt there. I have and like all the systems

C.Dark.DN

Banned
I'm really a OT nerd.

I'm a com-science major and have ideas on how I'd develop games if I ever become able:

Gamer @ Heart said:
No no no. I never said or meant the the PS360 shouldnt have cel shaded games. They look fucking great in HD. My point is, i wish i saw more of VC's style on Wii because almost no developer is willing to put time and effort into making a "realistic" artstyle look good on wii. I swear dude, you are looking for something that isnt there. I have and like all the systems
I realize in the end you simply want more awesome games on Wii. No problem.

I find realistic textures on the ps3/360 diverse. Some are ugly, some are glitchy, and some are gorgeous. I'm a big fan of cel-shading and art style graphics because it simply looks as good as the artist can draw it and doesn't need to focus on realistic gameplay modeling/textures. They get focus on other gameplay elements. I personally want more games like that on the ps3 and 360. Borderlands is in my backlog but I very glad they went with that art style. I want it to evolve. Maybe some console mmorpgs. So, I just find VC very suited for the ps3 and 360 and I don't think it matters that they don't achieve Uncharted 2, gears of Wars 2, whatever level of graphics.

Anyways, sorry to derail.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Didn't follow the Epic Mickey thread, what made it such a ban-tastic topic ??? Was there just a string of PS360 fans crying their eyes out when it was announced for the Wii or something ?

NetMapel said:
Didn't follow the Epic Mickey thread, what made it such a ban-tastic topic ??? Was there just a string of PS360 fans crying their eyes out when it was announced for the Wii or something ?

One of the mods put "do not talk about how this should be ported to X or you will be banned" in the OP. People didn't read it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
ShadyLurker said:
One of the mods put "do not talk about how this should be ported to X or you will be banned" in the OP. People didn't read it.
which was silly, because it prevented even well thought out, articulate discussion entirely. it's not hard to pick out the people botching and moaning from the ones who really wanted to have a good discussion, the blanket-ban was entirely stupid. you're going to read all posts anyway, right? it's not like it would save [random mod] any time.

Rez said:
which was silly, because it prevented even well thought out, articulate discussion entirely. it's not hard to pick out the people botching and moaning from the ones who really wanted to have a good discussion, the blanket-ban was entirely stupid. you're going to read all posts anyway, right? it's not like it would save [random mod] any time.

Maybe they did it so they could just type Ctrl+f Xbox, Ctrl+f PS3 and auto-ban.:lol

LAUGHTREY said:
According to my icon still being banned, Mods are infallible. Fully clothed women are NSFW.

what was it?

never been banned but I got a funny tag for hurting someone's "Masters of the Universe"-feelings

Tabris

Apparently you can't comment on shitty DS graphics...or just anything anti-DS. I've been banned more than probabaly anyone in this thread for my anti-DS comments/opinions. Seems to finally be acceptable to disagree with aspects of the Wii now though. Took long enough for people to find out what I was saying was going to become true became true.

Aegus

Rez said:
wow, what had they done?

Basically the thread itself was never modded or mods never went in. So basically there was a 9 month old thread with ban worthy stuff. People were getting banned for things left, right and centre that they'd said months ago.

Then I believe someone uncovered a pic of one of the mods.....

And now the biggest thread in OT is dead and everyone has moved to a different place

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom