• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ban-Age: Unwritten rules of NeoGAF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I never been in those NPD threads... ill keep it that way.

Fersis said:

Oh, I am never posting in them, I just like to peruse the meltdowns. I would get banned in a second if I posted. Only thing I really do in the gaming side.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
bill0527 said:
I think I'm banned as soon as the mods wake up because of this months NPD thread. I stated on opinion on like page 34, but was then informed that somewhere buried in the previous 33 pages, a mod had said not to state that opinion or risk banning. And of course, I couldn't go back to edit it because I was subsequently quoted at least half a dozen times.

The point is, make sure you read entire threads, even the monstrosities.. doesn't matter if its 30, 40, 100 pages, because you never know when the rules will change on you middle of the thread and you might miss some important info.

Only two people quoted the whole of your post. The other 4 were all "lol did you not read any of the thread lol." You could have edited it out, at the very least it would seem you were repentant.

This reminds me of a bit of advice: don't post and run. If you can't hang around for 10 minutes to see if your post is causing the thread's foundation to crumble, then don't bother posting. This goes doubly if you are a thread starter.

morningbus said:
This reminds me of a bit of advice: don't post and run. If you can't hang around for 10 minutes to see if your post is causing the thread's foundation to crumble, then don't bother posting. This goes doubly if you are a thread starter.

Some of threads I started were for my own personal fun... like, if GAF's threads get boring in the middle of the night, and I want a good read, I create a thread. In that case, I wait like 5 minutes and read all the replies.

I think that's enough time, so that, if things are going severely downhill, you can fix it.

Cyan

Banned
bill0527 said:
I think I'm banned as soon as the mods wake up because of this months NPD thread. I stated on opinion on like page 34, but was then informed that somewhere buried in the previous 33 pages, a mod had said not to state that opinion or risk banning. And of course, I couldn't go back to edit it because I was subsequently quoted at least half a dozen times.
Mods can read your edits anyway, so it's not like people quoting you makes a big difference.

It's not that hard to go "whoops, my bad" and edit. Generally that's probably enough to keep you from being banned.

morningbus

The point still stands, people drop a bomb on a thread and then disappear, never even trying to explain themselves or clear up any misunderstandings. If you have an uninformed or otherwise despicable opinion, then this bit of advice probably won't help you. If you're about to get caught in the procedural workings of GAF moderation, then it could save you a ban.

daw840

Cyan said:
Mods can read your edits anyway, so it's not like people quoting you makes a big difference.

It's not that hard to go "whoops, my bad" and edit. Generally that's probably enough to keep you from being banned.

I really don't think they can. I don't remember the thread, but a mod came in asking what a post said before they edited it out.

morningbus

daw840 said:
I really don't think they can. I don't remember the thread, but a mod came in asking what a post said before they edited it out.

Could there be a difference in stealth edits and edits that are outside of the few minute window?

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
This would never and should never be a ban-able offense...but the whole "gaf is filled with ugly virgin gaming nerds" thing gets a little tired. Anyone who spends 5 minutes in the post your pics thread would know a large portion of gaf doesn't even come remotely close to that stereotype visually. And we've got cooks, dj's, cops, business men, lawyers, accountants and many more people who lead successful lives nowhere near their mother's basement.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
missbreedsiddx said:
This would never and should never be a ban-able offense...but the whole "gaf is filled with ugly virgin gaming nerds" thing gets a little tired. Anyone who spends 5 minutes in the post your pics thread would know a large portion of gaf doesn't even come remotely close to that stereotype visually. And we've got cooks, dj's, cops, business men, lawyers, accountants and many more people who lead successful lives nowhere near their mother's basement.

It's easy to lie on the internet.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
missbreedsiddx said:
The idea that the people you're playing TF2 with might have interesting lives of their own is too frightening to contemplate it seems.

bill0527

ConfusingJazz said:
Um, that banning was added to the OP, and then repeated on the top post of the next 22 pages.

Yeah but here's the thing, last night, I read the first couple of pages before any warning was issued or posted. This morning, I read the last couple of pages of the thread. I then decided to make a post. I didn't re-read the first few pages again because I had already done it last night. Somewhere in between all of that time and buried between the first few, and last few pages, a mod made a decree to not say something in particular. It really isn't hard to miss, unless you're the type of person that re-reads every page of every thread that you've read up to that point.

bill0527 said:
Yeah but here's the thing, last night, I read the first couple of pages before any warning was issued or posted. This morning, I read the last couple of pages of the thread. I then decided to make a post. I didn't re-read the first few pages again because I had already done it last night. Somewhere in between all of that time and buried between the first few, and last few pages, a mod made a decree to not say something in particular. It really isn't hard to miss, unless you're the type of person that re-reads every page of every thread that you've read up to that point.

With a thread as radioactive as the NPD, you damn skippy you should read the OP before posting again.

If I saw a thread dealing with race, abortion, or some other hot button topic over here on the OT, I would tread carefully.

Baker

Banned
missbreedsiddx said:
Lol whatever. 50% of that "post pics of your girlfriend/boyfriend" thread are ridiculously fake.

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Baker said:
Lol whatever. 50% of that "post pics of your girlfriend/boyfriend" thread are ridiculously fake.
:lol Reminds me of the time that guy posted a pic of his "gf" but it was actually a model.

Cyan

Banned
Baker said:
Dude... this is kind of awkward, but why are you using a gif of my girlfriend for your avatar?

Baker

Banned
Cyan said:
Dude... this is kind of awkward, but why are you using a gif of my girlfriend for your avatar?
I've wanted to change this thing for six months but I don't want to hear shit everyday from stupid pedogaf for having a Selena Gozez avatar.

Plus I had an application in at Disney at the time. :lol

Guess I'll contribute. My 3 bans were:

1. Creating a thread about Wipeout HD and using screens for Wipeout Pulse since those were the pics linked in the original article.

2. Backseat modding. I wrote something like "I think these people should be banned for posting pics for that game. Haven't they signed NDA?"

3. Telling someone to "Shut the fuck up".

My semi-bans (i.e. bans I avoided cause of mods being in a very nice mood or GAF users PM-ing me for the better good).

1. Posting magazine scans. Bish was in a very great mood (Canucks won a game or something :lol) and he replaced the scans with Canucks celebrating! :lol Infact, Bish was the only mod whose name I know and I hardly had some 30 or so posts...

2. My avatar was massive. Not just the size (some 300 by 300) but it was a gif and it was massive. I got PM-ed by someone telling me to remove it and replace it.

3. During E3, I posted link to a chatroom which was creating some one month before E3 to be prepared for the massive 500 Errors downtime. I had no clue that it's a bannable offense in posting link to an IRC chatroom and I got PM-ed by someone to remove it.

4. During pre-E3, even the slightest mistakes concerning games or rumors can get you banned for the whole E3 timeline. I posted link to Gears of War PC very excitely during pre-E3 and it had gameplay footage including new missions. Gamevideos decided to remove the video a minute or two later since they accidently uploaded it. The very next preceeding video was Army of Two. Oh boy, vultures started flying all over thinking I was making fun of Army of Two since it looks like Gears of War and vice versa. Luckily some people had opened the link before it was down and were able to take screencaps and were able to save the video.

All in all, my days at GAF were awesome and still are. From junior status where mods PM-ed me and ended the PM with their first name to GAF users telling me to remove inappropriate stuff. I avoided FAQ (one of those "Meh. who reads a manual! I've survived other forums!" habit. and when PM-ed, I decided to read it and it helped alot.

14,000 posts and counting. GAF is awesomesauce all over my body!

Nizz

Fersis said:
I've probably posted in maybe two of those threads before I decided to just stay the hell away from them.

I'll take a glance at the numbers (out of curiosity, and to watch a Mama Robotnik gif!) but I don't stick around.

I didn't know the plane.jpg was banned already. Glad I checked this thread.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Fersis said:
This, pretty much, I generally don't care about sales, the only thing I'm really just interested if a game I like sold enough to be getting a sequel. I don't need to know the specific numbers.

I once got a short ban for "not reading the OP." It was a new rule at the time, someone made a list of the best arcade games ever but added that "fighters were not included" for some reason or another. I responded a few pages deep that the list "needs more fighters" and got the hammer because the OP hated fighters or something.

I read the OP GAF! I read it and detested it!

I also got a month ban for trolling the Wii (which I won't deny even though I feel had I not been immediately banned, I could have qualified my statement.) I posted a reply and when it went through, I notice Dragona got a post in seconds before me that was basically the exact opposite of what I posted. Before I even finished thinking that I might get banned, I was banned.

I think being banned adds character, and as long as it isn't perm, you come back a better poster because of it. The mods do great work and are always just and right in their efforts to make GAF the best place on the internet...
2na8va9.gif

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Plywood said:
This, pretty much, I generally don't care about sales, the only thing I'm really just interested if a game I like sold enough to be getting a sequel. I don't need to know the specific numbers.
GamingGAF:
'I cant enjoy a game if it doesnt sell better than the other console games !!! ARGGGH!!!'
Im kind of old for that kind of stuff. Maybe if i was younger i would be member of the Wii and PS3 Defense Force...

By the way whats the deal with sport streams? Its a bannable offense to post link to wrestling,MMA,etc etc?

oh, don't edit every thread title on the front page to contain the word "nintendogs" to spite drinkycrow, you'll lose your admin-ship

just an FYI

Red Scarlet

Hmm, that guy seems like a friendly poster, and he did finally fix his American Psycho avatar that was about 30 pixels too tall, so for posting some NSFW pictures I'll just edit the post and include a "don't post NSFW pictures" message in the edited post.

Sigh, he posted more NSFW pictures. He'll see a ban with the message to not post NSFW pictures. That should definitely be the end of it, and we can move on.

Ok, he's posted NSFW pictures for a third time now. We can't play this game forever, so it's time to give him an ultimatum message to stop posting NSFW pictures along with another 3 week ban. I hope he doesn't come back and say he would have learned with a 1 day ban or that the bans were vague and overkill, as that would be rather silly.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mike Works said:
oh, don't edit every thread title on the front page to contain the word "nintendogs" to spite drinkycrow, you'll lose your admin-ship

just an FYI
wow! :lol

Cyan

Banned
Mike Works said:

just an FYI
:lol I remember that one.

For what it's worth, that was absolutely hilarious.

Cheech

PistolGrip said:
* Critiquing PC gaming is like cursing out mohammed

I keep reading this, but it's not true.

PC gamers can be antagonistic and bitter due to the marginalization of their platform at the hand of consoles, so you have to keep that in mind. As long as you're not an outright dick and don't respond in kind to them, you'll be fine.

The key is taking the upper road, and being the lesser dickhead. Always.

I can confirm "die in a fire" is bannable, I said it in jest to a fellow Sonic whore about his dislike of the Sonic R soundtrack of all things, and got banned for a couple of weeks. yes, really.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
missbreedsiddx said:

I agree but it also goes both ways you guys who have these jobs but have the balls to look down and call others nerds or losers at times, but avg 22 post a day on a gaming message board..

cntr

Banned
Mike Works said:

just an FYI

when did that happen?

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
No one answered my last question, but I''l ask another.

When someone puts "no ___ or ban" or "___=ban"
Do they add that to the OP, or is it a mod? Is that stuff enforced?
I only ask because I have a very specific thread I've always wanted to make, but I already know a bunch of dicks will do something to ruin it. Is it worth contacting a mod to get some info on the particular idea.
Its pretty harmless and sort of boring, but a thread I'd like to see just the same.

cntrational said:
when did that happen?
Story old as time...

Cyan

Banned
Staccat0 said:
When someone puts "no ___ or ban" or "___=ban"
Do they add that to the OP, or is it a mod? Is that stuff enforced?
No 56K or so help me I will LOCK THIS THREAD!

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Cyan said:
No 56K or so help me I will LOCK THIS THREAD!
I remember the kid who put "56k = ban" but also said that people need to post a LINK to images instead of embedding them.:lol He gor dragged through the mud for pages

shanshan310 said:
can anyone tell me why Shoop da Woop (firin mah lazor) is racist? I asked several of my friends, who're all pretty meme-savvy, but none of them knew it was...

2uj1coz.png

Not sure what the game is called..
Someone please hep. :D

tokkun

What would it take to get the 'So basically...' meme unbanned? That meme was the only redeeming facet of review score threads.

Don't express your dislike of Resident Evil 5. Even though it's a terrible game and anyone who thinks it's more than average has bad taste in games.

RobertM

toxicgonzo said:
:lol Reminds me of the time that guy posted a pic of his "gf" but it was actually a model.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=13051758&postcount=4427
bam! or was there more than one?

Red Scarlet said:
Hmm, that guy seems like a friendly poster, and he did finally fix his American Psycho avatar that was about 30 pixels too tall, so for posting some NSFW pictures I'll just edit the post and include a "don't post NSFW pictures" message in the edited post.

Sigh, he posted more NSFW pictures. He'll see a ban with the message to not post NSFW pictures. That should definitely be the end of it, and we can move on.

Ok, he's posted NSFW pictures for a third time now. We can't play this game forever, so it's time to give him an ultimatum message to stop posting NSFW pictures along with another 3 week ban. I hope he doesn't come back and say he would have learned with a 1 day ban or that the bans were vague and overkill, as that would be rather silly.
Can you post links with NSFW tags? I was banned without warning for that.

Salazar

My ban was for an assertion only someone crazy would argue against. A mod took exception. There may be some logical conclusion to be drawn, but I am too cowardly to draw it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom