• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battle for Mosul has begun. 1 million civilians trapped inside the city ruled by ISIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

gcubed

mmRCR9G.jpg

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...ad029c-9505-11e6-bb29-bf2701dbe0a3_story.html

A suicide attack in war... Isn't that just dying?

Why are they not cutting off the IS retreat into Syria?
I've been wondering about that myself.

I guess the good news is that soon tens of thousands of PMUs will be flooding into Syria to support the government there -- destroying ISIS and jihadist rebels.
Probs the same reason they made a "mistake" in Dier Ez-zor - one of the only SAA outposts in eastern Syria. They probably purposely left them an escape route that way. I don't think they care if they go toward Syria, just so long as they get out of Iraq. Also, word on the street is SAA, Russian, and Iranian militias have a surprise for ISIS baddies once they cross into Syria anyways.
Mosul has way more civilians than east Aleppo. So we'll see how this turns out. Hope we can keep civilian casualties to a minimum. I'm really looking forward to seeing ISIS high tail it out of there.

Iraqi army moves into the village of Al Hud just outside Mosul and finds corpses of ISIS fighters mutilated lying on the streets. The people inside rose up and killed the militants themselves

AL-HUD, Iraq (AP) — The mutilated bodies of Islamic State group fighters were still strewn on the ground of this northern Iraqi town on Wednesday. One was burned. Another's face was flattened by abuse.

Iraqi troops on the march toward Mosul moved into al-Hud a day earlier and declared it liberated. But they found residents had already risen up and killed many of the militants in the town themselves.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/00f6...r-bombs-mortars-slow-down-iraqi-advance-mosul
A suicide attack in war... Isn't that just dying?
It's the same as kamikaze dive bombers from Japan's Imperial army in WW2.

Let those ISIS run to Syria and Russia and the coalition armies is going to bomb the shit out of them.
ISIS use human shields when they retreat away from a location. The US objective is not to kill ISIS as they retreat away from Mosul, it's to corridor ISIS into Assad/Putin territory and ensure US interests are met; weaken Assad.

ISIS have simply been a tool used by every territorial power in Syria and Iraq.

casiopao

ISIS use human shields when they retreat away from a location. The US objective is not to kill ISIS as they retreat away from Mosul, it's to corridor ISIS into Assad/Putin territory and ensure US interests are met; weaken Assad.

ISIS have simply been a tool used by every territorial power in Syria and Iraq.

Well, if Coalition army won't bomb them, i can see Russia don't give a fcuk and keep bombing them lol. As they are damn savage and seems to give a zero care about human shield here.

ISIS started a surprise attack on Kirkuk this morning.

ISIS militants attacked several security buildings in the Iraqi city of Kirkuk, officials said, even as Iraqi and Kurdish forces battle the terror group for control of the second-largest city of Mosul.

Dozens of militants targeted four police stations and Kurdish security offices in Kirkuk, spreading themselves out through several residential neighborhoods. The clashes were ongoing in the southern part of the city as of Friday morning, security officials said.

(...)
more: http://edition.cnn.com/2016/10/21/middleeast/iraq-kirkuk-attacks/index.html

Terrible news: ISIS ratchets up the brutality and executes close to 300 men and boys inside Mosul
(CNN) ISIS executed 284 men and boys as coalition forces closed in on Mosul, an Iraqi intelligence source told CNN. Those killed on Thursday and Friday had been rounded up near and in the city for use as human shields against attacks that are forcing ISIS out of the southern sections of Mosul, the source explained. ISIS used a bulldozer to dump the corpses in a mass grave at the scene of the executions -- Mosul's defunct College of Agriculture in the north of the city, the intelligence source said.

The victims were all shot and some were children, said the source, who wanted anonymity because he is not authorized to speak to the media. CNN could not independently confirm the claim.

The United Nations earlier said it is "gravely worried" that ISIS has taken 550 families from villages around Mosul and is using them as human shields as Iraqi and Kurdish forces battle the terror group for control of Iraq's second-largest city. Two hundred families from Samalia village and 350 families from Najafia were forced out Monday and taken to Mosul in what appears to be "an apparent policy by ISIS to prevent civilians escaping," Ravina Shamdasani, deputy spokeswoman for the UN Human Rights Office, told CNN.

When Saudi Arabia runs out of money... never.

Saudi Arabia is not funding ISIS, please get your facts right.
ISIS consider the Saudi Dynasty to be hypocrites and call for their executions.
You have nonetheless private capital in Arabia who send them money but to believe that they exist because of that is just false.

I invite you to read the excellent book "ISIS apocalypse" who give a good background of the group.

Sijil

Saudi Arabia is not funding ISIS, please get your facts right.
ISIS consider the Saudi Dynasty to be hypocrites and call for their executions.
You have nonetheless private capital in Arabia who send them money but to believe that they exist because of that is just false.

I invite you to read the excellent book "ISIS apocalypse" who give a good background of the group.

Oh please, even Hillary Clinton admitted, as stated in her leaked E-mails, that the Saudis alongside the Qataris are funding ISIS to expand their influence in the Sunni world and to curb Iranian influence.

Al Qaeda also considers the KSA regime an enemy, but at the end of the day AQ and the Saudis are fighting side by side in Yemen against the Houthis.

KSA and ISIS/AQ dealing in the background is an open secret by now.

Oh please, even Hillary Clinton admitted, as stated in her leaked E-mails, that the Saudis alongside the Qataris are funding ISIS to expand their influence in the Sunni and to curb Iranian influence.

Al Qaeda also considers the KSA regime an enemy, but at the end of the day AQ and the Saudis are fighting side by side in Yemen against the Houthis.

KSA and ISIS/AQ dealing in the background is an open secret by now.

I am beyond believing everything
Russia
Wikileaks says.

And even if it was true, it's just Hillary Clinton opinion. Almost all experts on ISIS history and funding say that they are not founded by Saudi Gov, and that the MAIN source of funding come from taxes and oil revenues.

And Al Qaida and ISIS are two very distinct group right now, and in open conflict, the last issue of Rumiyya (isis propaganda) was speaking extensively about how AQ are apostates, so mixing the Yemeni situation don't really add something to the discussion.

It's pretty easy to throw up your hands in the air and just say "Well fucking Saudi and other gulf countries are supporting ISIS" but the situation is a lot more complicated than that.

There's two types of support gulf countries are providing to Syria and/or other Sunni militant groups.

First being state level support, which in this case is going to more "relatively moderate" groups, i.e FSA, Anti-Isis Jihadi groups. This falls under the standard proxy warfare that has been going on since the soviet invasion of Afghanistan. Saudi funds the kind of groups that aligns with its sunni interests and groups that could be used as a bulwark against Iranian proxies. Saudi won't feed the hand that would immediately bite it(ISIS) and one of ISIS's core propaganda is how heretical the dynasties of the Gulf are. ISIS has been actively trying to attacks Saudi installations.

Now there is a second level of support, which comes from citizens and the clergy. This mainly involves ideological support and money raised through religious charity donations that goes to a number of groups, including ISIS.

Saudi government knows about this. Do they encourage this ? I couldn't say but they definitely deflect the criticism of this terror funding network by calling it a interference in internal affairs. But really what it is that government is too dependent on clerical support to ever clamp down hard on this phenomenon. This happens not just in Syria but also other countries, prime example being Pakistan, where the Saudis have been accused for decades of allowing funding to flow to groups that are involved in mass shia killings.

So there, it's not as simple as Herp Derp Saudi Arabia. There's legit like 10 different forces involved in Iraq/Syria right now and it's a literal game of thrones.

An important factor also is the fact that Saudi king and his officials clerics have negated that there was actually a jihad in Syria.
They are also trying to fund the less ideological groups out there because they know that "jihadi-salafism" is REALLY anti-saud these days, and they fear the backfire.

But yes, you have certainly the support of some elements of the saudi nobility and the extreme clerical classes. They do killed a ton of people who were accused to fund ISIS, but since it's Saudi Arabia, you'll never know.

I am beyond believing everything
Russia
Wikileaks says.

And even if it was true, it's just Hillary Clinton opinion. Almost all experts on ISIS history and funding say that they are not founded by Saudi Gov, and that the MAIN source of funding come from tax and oil revenues.

And Al Qaida and ISIS are two very distinct group right now, and in open conflict, the last issue of Rumiyya (isis propaganda) was speaking extensively about how AQ are apostates, so mixing the Yemeni situation don't really add something to the discussion.
Come on, man. Both Hillary herself says this and the leaked 2012 DIA document says it. It's a pretty indisputable at this point. Wikileaks may deserve ire for doing massive data dumps without redacting sensitive info (and even dumping irrelevant docs), they've been onpoint for their entire history. It doesn't matter how they got the leaks - all that matters is the content.

Come on, man. Both Hillary herself says this and the leaked 2012 DIA document says it. It's a pretty indisputable at this point. Wikileaks may deserve ire for doing massive data dumps without redacting sensitive info (and even dumping irrelevant docs), they've been onpoint for their entire history. It doesn't matter how they got the leaks - all that matters is the content.

I want proof, i don't take Clinton's words as revealed truth.

I am not saying that it's impossible, i just don't have any reason to believe it. It doesn't make any ideological or strategic sense for Saudi Arabia to do so. ISIS is what made dealing with Iran necessary, the worst thing possible for Saudi Arabia.

I want proof, i don't take Clinton's words as revealed truth.

I am not saying that it's impossible, i just don't have any reason to believe it. It doesn't make any ideological or strategic sense for Saudi Arabia to do so. ISIS is what made dealing with Iran necessary, the worst thing possible for Saudi Arabia.
You're talking about the bastion of Salafi/Wahabi ideology with a whole history of funding terrorism of that ilk. And then a leaked DIA memo and Clinton's own words aren't proof enough for you.

Seems you just don't want to believe it no matter what.

A number of citizens of most European states are supporting ISIS financially and are fighting for them therefore all these countries are supporting ISIS.

Syder

A number of citizens of most European states are supporting ISIS financially and are fighting for them therefore all these countries are supporting ISIS.
The biggest providers of financial aid and manpower to terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda & ISIS has always been Saudi Arabia.

You're talking about the bastion of Salafi/Wahabi ideology with a whole history of funding terrorism of that ilk. And then a leaked DIA memo and Clinton's own words aren't proof enough for you.

I know what i am talking about, the main difference is back in the 80's or during the chechen war, a lot of "jihadi groups" were referring to Saudi Arabia as a role-model and the clerics supported their causes openly. Since the end of the 90's they totally changed their discourse because it was backfiring. Now they don't make any reference to armed struggle and a total set of old fatwas just disappeared and the same scholar who was legitimizing terrorism against Russia, two year later were rejecting it completely. They just follow the interests of the West.They don't have an ideological agenda, they just act on self-preservation, and if ISIS succeed, it's the end of the Saudi dynasty, since they are their main objective.

petran79

Banned
They just follow the interests of the West.They don't have an ideological agenda, they just act on self-preservation, and if ISIS succeed, it's the end of the Saudi dynasty, since they are their main objective.

One reason Saudi Arabia and Quatar refuse to accept any refugees inside their home soil.

Let those ISIS run to Syria and Russia and the coalition armies is going to bomb the shit out of them.

oh you mean like this Map right?
CufYRWpXgAEZ4-w.jpg

https://twitter.com/PrimeSourceInt
man Russia is so good at not attacking ISIS

-----

Also I know it is cool to hate on Saudi Arabia and some for just means

but they aren't funding ISIS guys

the email said Hillary assumed yet they have no evidence from anywhere that SA (the government) supports ISIS

I mean how silly can you be to support a group that attacks you not only at home but abroad on multiple occasion and also kills your citizens, government officials and soldiers

I mean you guys are going on such a ruse right now it is silly

even now the Saudis are providing airstrikes with the coalition against Deash

----------------

seems like you want to believe it no matter what

I mean a bunch of you guys are suffering some lagging affect

thinking it is 2003 or something

-------------------------
It is convenient to make the whole world some black and white... easy to understand analogoy but reality is not some pre-school finger pointing, emotion ridden adventure

The ISIS funding discussion seems to be fueled by a misunderstanding of what kind of organization they are - you can't really compare them to guerilla/cell-based terrorists groups because, as fucked up as they are, ISIS is a state actor with its own territory, infrastructure and economy.

They pillaged the riches of territory they conquered which included gold and currency reserves worth billions.

So yes, they do receive grants from foreign interests, including presumably Saudi, but that's not the basis of their wealth and not a high priority target of intelligence services - stopping those would just be a drop in the bucket.

I feel that politicians who put too much emphasis on this are prone to 'old school' thinking about terrorism and don't recognize ISIS for the unique threat it poses.

Oriel

Stop with all this Kremlinese bullshit. The House of Saud does NOT fund ISIS. Baghdadi's death cult wants to brutally massacre the entire lot of them and flatten Mecca and Medina. ISIS is funded by a mixture of taxes on those under its rule, oil revenue and the half billion dollars it stole from the Bank of Mosul when ISIS overan the city. Donations from private individuals is a small part of their funding model.

I feel that politicians who put too much emphasis on this are prone to 'old school' thinking about terrorism and don't recognize ISIS for the unique threat it poses.

Yes, there is a copy-past reading of the current middle-east crisis with the model of interpretation of the Cold War.

It's like you have on one side Iran with Houthis, Hezbollah and Iraq gov and on the other side Saudi Arabia with AQ, ISIS... I understand the appeal of this lecture, and it's true in some case (Iran and Hezbollah) but not in others (Houthis have their own tribal agenda, ISIS have his own very distinct ideology even from AQ). . . They deemed as kharijites by Saudi officials clerics. It's like thinking that Trotsky rebellion against Stalin was founded by Stalin himself.

Far right and Far left became so anti government that they would believe any conspiracy theory in order to question the norm.
The irony is that they just become a fiddle for another governments propaganda, when they assume they broke themselves from the clutches of western imperialism.
That and the fact that when one presents logic to them, they are so far gone that they sometimes assume that if you are anti their mentality then you are supporting the enemy, or are a hypocrite and turn a blind eye for other atrocities created by the other side.
It is as if one can't condemn both of these things but instead has to only choose one.

I hate when I see these things since it reminds me of my old high-school days when I too was like them in a political sense. I even watched and admired RT news as honest journalism lol
Ironically enough that account was previously blocked by Twitter for allegedly being "pro-ISIS". Just because Iyad El-Baghdadi happens to have the same last name as the ISIS leader.

His tweets are brilliant BTW and great reading. His burning of the idiot Stein was lovely.

yeah there are some great twitter accounts that logically destroy crazy theories right and center

Oriel

Oh and Also the whole Syrian pipeline conspiracy too that some Putin wankers toss around
https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi/status/790105575992557568
read this twitter thread to showcase how idiotic it is

Ironically enough that account was previously blocked by Twitter for allegedly being "pro-ISIS". Just because Iyad El-Baghdadi happens to have the same last name as the ISIS leader.

His tweets are brilliant BTW and great reading. His burning of the idiot Stein was lovely.

AmyS

Iraqi.jpg

Iraqi and Kurdish forces have launched a new offensive on a town near Mosul as part of a massive operation aimed at retaking the country's second largest city from the Islamic State group.

The Kurdish forces, known as peshmerga, said they launched a dawn offensive Sunday on two fronts to the northeast of Mosul, near the town of Bashiqa.

Maj. Gen. Haider Fadhil, of Iraq's special forces, said they had also launched an assault on Bashiqa, surrounding it and seizing parts of the town. He said the Kurds had captured two villages near Bashiqa and a small Shiite shrine in the area.

Over the last week, Iraqi and Kurdish forces have been battling IS in a belt of mostly uninhabited towns and villages around Mosul, contending with roadside bombs, snipers and suicide truck bombs.

The Mosul offensive involves more than 25,000 Iraqi ground forces as well as U.S.-led coalition aircraft and advisers. It is expected to take weeks, if not months, to drive IS from Mosul, which is home to more than a million civilians.

Bashiqa is close to a military base of the same name where some 500 Turkish troops are training Sunni and Kurdish fighters for the Mosul offensive.

The presence of the Turkish troops has angered Iraq, which says it never gave them permission to enter the country and has called on them to withdraw. Turkey has refused the demand, insisting that it play a role in retaking Mosul from IS.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/ct-iraq-mosul-islamic-state-20161023-story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom