• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Until it actually launches and it's crippled for months by bugs and netcode issues. Fixed only when they dump it on another studio.
Hardline and Battlefront didn't have these issues. EA and DICE brought BF 4 to nirvana, learned their lesson, and have been killing it in online ever since.

ISOM

world-war.jpg

18dxo6vhtc0urjpg.jpg

Rref.jpg

It better be something like this because otherwise, I'm not interested in a WWl game at all.

DOWN

Banned
That wasn't in game.
It's in engine. The assets are miles ahead of CoD based on the gif, and all the other Frostbite/DICE titles in recent history. That's the actual game character model and it's stunning.

You can't seriously think the team behind Frostbite would be outdone graphically by CoD when the CoD trailer looks far worse than recent DICE graphics work?

Compsiox

Banned
I just realized that my 3PM eye doctor appointment may cause me to miss the announcement.

I'm going to cry.

DOWN

Banned
They fucked around for so long and the graphic clearly became the focus (Ready at Dawn style), that the flight mechanics were subpar. No space battles. Half the modes are pointless, the launch game barely had any maps. The character creation was laughable (connected to leveling) and the gun balancing is still reactive rather then pro active.

But hey it was pretty (An i'm a graphics whore). Hope that's not the case with whatever this is.
It had 15 maps within the first two weeks so let's not

DOWN

Banned
Gaggin a bit @ those employees going off on the "CG cod" train when this appears to be doing the same "in-engine *downsampled from 8K on a computer you will never own at 0.10 speed*" thing Dice did with battlefront. That game came out gorgeous but not close to the reveal.
You can't seriously think a DICE Frostbite game will look remotely worse than CoD? Battlefield games are arguably the poster child for multi platform graphical and audio achievement. The media team uses the engine and game assets to make their trailers. They would know if the game has better bones than CoD's trailer visually.

El_Chino

It's in engine. The assets are miles ahead of CoD based on the gif, and all the other Frostbite/DICE titles in recent history. That's the actual game character model and it's stunning.

You can't seriously think the team behind Frostbite would be outdone graphically by CoD when the CoD trailer looks far worse than recent DICE graphics work?
Ummn, I never claimed why of that.

I just said in engine tends to look better than in game and that we should wait until the reveal before making comparisons.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Why r they using prop plane instead of more modern jets. I know the dictator Hitler had created jets for his Russian army by that point in time by documentaries.

J-Rzez

BF4 turned out to be an incredible value to me and it's one of the few justifiable "premium/season pass" purchases ever. Battlefront ran flawlessly and looked fantastic. BF4 is still my benchmark shooter.

I'll be there for DICE either way I guess. Even if the camera pans out and it's all space ships and shit and it's from the year 2200, though I'm dying for WW1/2.

Rockyrock

They've done Vietnam twice already (Battlefield Vietnam, and Bad Company 2: Vietnam), and neither seemed to be super successful. Both were really fun though.

The vehicles are totally unrealistic now, so there is no reason WWI vehicles would suddenly limit gameplay possibilities. If biplanes are too slow, then they'll just make them faster.

BestSpanishAmphibian-size_restricted.gif

http://i.imgur.com/bumTHhq.gifv

there is no realism argument to made around BF.. :p
I didnt say "Battlefield is good because the vehicle gameplay is like a simulation of real life" I just said that vehicles make Battlefield great. The constant battle between infantry and vehicular combat is the main draw of a BF game.

WWI was an mostly infantry fought war. And obviously the vehicles introduced were 'primitive' at best. Like who the hell wants to drive around a metal coffin that gets destroyed by small arms fire?

Orcus

The vehicles are totally unrealistic now, so there is no reason WWI vehicles would suddenly limit gameplay possibilities. If biplanes are too slow, then they'll just make them faster.

there is no realism argument to made around BF.. :p
Your right, it's not a sim. You don't repair helicopters in flight with a blow torch. ;) It's not fully an arcade game either. There is some basic constraints around actual performance of the vehicles in place to make it not seem completely unrealistic or too goofy. Tanks in WWI went like 5 mph and looked like lumbering monstrosities or a turn of the century tractor with armor and guns. The look and feel if that doesn't read battlefield to me. I don't think of bicycles, horses, and WWI era vehicles for troop transport when I think of battlefield as a franchise.

I think the WWI setting is incongruent with what I associate as a major part of the battlefield franchise, and that's the vehicle gameplay. But, that's just my opinion. I think the biplane combat in WWI would be awesome, as I think the slower speed and longer TTK would be fun for that specific vehicle scenario. I sure would miss the ground vehicles and helicopters though.

Deadbeat

Banned
WWI was an mostly infantry fought war. And obviously the vehicles introduced were 'primitive' at best. Like who the hell wants to drive around a metal coffin that gets destroyed by small arms fire?
Are you saying vehicles aren't metal coffins right now with the way battlefield is balanced?

Rockyrock

Are you saying vehicles aren't metal coffins right now with the way battlefield is balanced?

because of all the lock on garbage sure... We can all agree that shit needs to be wayyy turned down.

If you know what you're doing tho you can still put up numbers in tanks/NPCs even in BF4

but I mean would you find it fun driving at 2 mph over a dirt mound and having an infantry player kill you?

i'll pass

NoPiece

I didnt say "Battlefield is good because the vehicle gameplay is like a simulation of real life" I just said that vehicles make Battlefield great. The constant battle between infantry and vehicular combat is the main draw of a BF game.

There are planes, boats, tanks, trucks, etc in WWI, so you've got your full range of vehicles covered. It doesn't matter if historically WWI was mostly infantry battles, because BF isn't a serious war simulation. They can throw in tanks, they don't have to be slow, and they don't have to be destroyed by small arms fire. They can include biplanes, and make them fly exactly as fast as would make a fun map. If you were worried about Arma One, I'd understand but WWI has all the basic elements to make a good Battlefield game.

Your right, it's not a sim. You don't repair helicopters in flight with a blow torch. ;) It's not fully an arcade game either. There is some basic constraints around actual performance of the vehicles in place to make it not seem completely unrealistic or too goofy. Tanks in WWI went like 5 mph and looked like lumbering monstrosities or a turn of the century tractor with armor and guns. The look and feel if that doesn't read battlefield to me. I don't think of bicycles, horses, and WWI era vehicles for troop transport when I think of battlefield as a franchise.

What about the link I posted where the guy used C4 to blast the M1 tank 100 feet in the air then shoot a plane? BF is unrealistic, and sometimes (not always) goofy, that's one of the reasons it is so fun.. With the same amount of artistic license they take currently with vehicles, the WWI vehicles would be fine.

Here is some Codename Eagle gameplay - the WWI themed game the DICE guys did before BF 1942. You can see the vehicles (planes, tanks, even helicopters) are very dynamic and not putting around at 5mph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnYLKX3RYC0

Orcus

There are planes, boats, tanks, trucks, etc in WWI, so you've got your full range of vehicles covered. It doesn't matter if historically WWI was mostly infantry battles, because BF isn't a serious war simulation. They can throw in tanks, they don't have to be slow, and they don't have to be destroyed by small arms fire. They can include biplanes, and make them fly exactly as fast as would make a fun map. If you were worried about Arma One, I'd understand but WWI has all the basic elements to make a good Battlefield game.

I understand your point, but WWI just doesn't seem like battlefield to me.

3inch20cwtAAgunPeerlessLorryWWI.jpg

Does that seem like the kind of vehicle that you have those battlefield experiences in?

Deadbeat

Banned
because of all the lock on garbage sure... We can all agree that shit needs to be wayyy turned down.

If you know what you're doing tho you can still put up numbers in tanks/NPCs even in BF4

but I mean would you find it fun driving at 2 mph over a dirt mound and having an infantry player kill you?

i'll pass
They can make the tanks faster then. Throw in armored cars as well for more speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom