• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

Liamario

Banned
Gemüsepizza;77908573 said:
Maybe a thread title update is necessary now that we know that BF4 does not run at 720p but at a higher resolution in the PS4 dev enviroment.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584

jackbf4dks95.png

I suspected that this was why they were holding back on confirming anything.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
We've hardly seen BF4 on the consoles. Pretty sure all we've got was that one stream, which is a very, very poor way to get an idea of a game's true image quality.

When you made the comparison, I had to assume you were talking about the PC version of BF4 cuz that's the only one we've seen properly so far.

I'm actually comparing consoles because we've read enough and have off screen footage and direct feed screens/footage of KZ. There is at least on YT video with some off screen BF4 footage on PS4 as well. Unless the people in the video lied and it's not PS4.

PC is still its own beast. I'm mainly talking about the platforms at parity. In this case it's BF4 on PS4 and KZ on PS4.

Guy.brush

That new tweet probably means the game is running at 900p, 800p or 768p in the Dev environment. Certainly not @1080p, otherwise they would have probably mentioned it

Not so sure I'd take that as any sort of solid confirmation...but I did miss that

Depends on if you believe their target resolution and fps in March is still their target today. Clearly they are trying to get the best out of the PS4 and X1 if that tweet referencing optimization is to be believed.

720p60 is the lesser of two evils, but I thought the whole point of next gen was to make it so developers wouldn't have to compromise.

But no, gotta make those bullshots on the back of the box look nice.

zma1013

To those saying that bf3 runs silky smooth on their low-mid to mid-end hardware, do we even know if bf4 will perform similarly? I know my 6970 was able to manage well in singleplayer max with fxaa, but it also had difficulty in heavy multiplayer matches.

It should be better optimized, so yeah, I'd imagine it should run similar or possibly even a little bit better.

720p60 is the lesser of two evils, but I thought the whole point of next gen was to make it so developers wouldn't have to compromise.

But no, gotta make those bullshots on the back of the box look nice.

They don't make games to to play, they make them to look good for commercials.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Kind of a bummer, but my pre-order is far from being cancelled.

Maybe the next Battlefield will be 1080p.

if there's anything that trends guarantee, it's that standards for framerates and image quality will steadily rise as the generation moves forward.

no angel

I don't care about the resolution, next gen console stuff should still look loads better than current gen and that's enough for me, I really can't wait.

I'd rather 60fps for shooters though.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I shouldn't have to tell you how ridiculously terrible that is for judging proper image quality of a game.

I know it. What I can see is visual detail, draw distance in BF4. KZ has direct feed screen caps and it's 1080p though so it does have that going for it vs BF4 on PS4 right now. I still see a lot of impressive detail in KZ vs BF4. We're going in circles here though so I will be curious to see BF4 on PS4 when it launches.

Standards do need to rise, as ghst noted. I would rather them hit 1080p and compromise some things for consoles. We know PC will always be the best but 1080p 60 would be ideal for a game like BF4. As it stands, it's still one great looking game on consoles though.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Gemüsepizza;77908573 said:
Maybe a thread title update is necessary now that we know that BF4 does not run at 720p but at a higher resolution in the PS4 dev enviroment.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584

jackbf4dks95.png

I hope they manage to pull of an improvement as they say.

Nevertheless, I certainly don't expect 1080p/60p to become a standard throughout the generation. Might be looking for some living-room-friendly PC for multiplats in 3-4 years.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
dat ps4 power. dat ram. dat next-gen.

Battlefield 4 looks pretty good. If it's running at 720p, it could mean our beloved next-gen consoles are not as powerful as we would hope.

Pretty much. It's why the original Resistance has been unsurpassed on PS3. Launch games are always indicative of the full power of consoles.

USC-fan

Banned
There is no agenda, actually, despite Heavy's assertions.

The PS4 is the most powerful console this generation. It is not, however, as powerful as a high end PC and will not produce results equal to that PC. Something that some folks don't understand.

As ghst pointed out earlier, if you prod the DICE you get the truth. That was what that "horrible, slow CPU" reference was for. In comparison to Intel's current offerings, and AMD's high end - these are all running low end gear. Some much lower than others.

Perhaps yourself and Heavy should read the statements made by me in this thread and respond to those, instead of attempting character assassination. Especially Heavy, who would be too easy a target if one were to go through posting history (of which you are free to do for me, btw - you'll see a lot of accuracy).

Or, as mods would put it, "respond to the content of the post, not the poster".

Did you read the part where a friend of mine (BG) was stating "600gf" for the Wii U GPU, and I said "no, it is much lower" in those threads, then? No? Go through the post history.

We HAVEN'T seen BF4 on the consoles.
Lol too funny. Must have missed those threads
Lol

velociraptor

False.

Contrary to popular belief on GAF, these next gen consoles aren't really that powerful on the grand scale of things. People see the numbers these companies put out and their imagines begin to run beyond what's really possible.
False? Based on what?

The PS4 isn't packing a severely handicapped GPU. It is fully capable of running the game at 1080p.

Seanspeed

Banned
I know it. What I can see is visual detail, draw distance in BF4. KZ has direct feed screen caps and it's 1080p though so it does have that going for it vs BF4 on PS4 right now. I still see a lot of impressive detail in KZ vs BF4. We're going in circles here though so I will be curious to see BF4 on PS4 when it launches.

Standards do need to rise, as ghst noted. I would rather them hit 1080p and compromise some things for consoles. We know PC will always be the best but 1080p 60 would be ideal for a game like BF4. As it stands, it's still one great looking game on consoles though.
We really aren't going in circles. I'm merely suggesting that you actually see some direct comparisons before declaring a winner. Meanwhile, you're now using the fact that there are direct capture screens of Killzone as supporting evidence that Killzone looks better, even though that just kinda further proves my point.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
People are always so surprised to find enthusiast opinions in enthusiast communities.

"30fps is a fucking slide show"

Enthusiast opinions or manbaby stupidity? Are we pretending this is some high brow forum with intelligent discussion now? Please, I've been here long enough to know.

I never understood why people make such a big deal about resolution and 60fps. It has never been a big problem to me. But then again I have shitty eye sight so maybe I'm just not used to seeing everything in "HD" anyway ;)

zoukka

So why were you considering it in the first place?

It just seems strange to come in to this thread and say this is a deal breaker when you weren't even that interested in the first place and probably would have found some other reason not to get it anyways.

Read the reasoning in my post maybe? BF is a solid series as is CoD, so if there's nothing else at launch, those games do offer a lot of bang for your buck. I did play both Bad Company games a lot too.

Also I'm not stupid and finding excuses to hate on games. 720p is very disappointing considering the developer and the fact that a lot of the other shooters are 1080p.

KageMaru

False? Based on what?

The PS4 isn't packing a severely handicapped GPU. It is fully capable of running the game at 1080p.

So the game should be running at 1080p but DICE chooses not to run it at that resolution just because? Even though they are one of the leading studios when it comes to developing technology. Does that really make sense to you? Hopefully you don't fall back on the common tropes and say they are lazy or incompetent devs because you don't work in a studio like that by being lazy or incompetent.

Also I'd say compared to the alternatives, next gen console GPUs are handicapped, and yes even the PS4's.

antitrop

"30fps is a fucking slide show"

Enthusiast opinions or manbaby stupidity? Are we pretending this is some high brow forum with intelligent discussion now? Please, I've been here long enough to know.
Okay, well silly hyperbole will always be silly hyperbole, but coming across people who have 1080p/60fps as a minimum standard should be expected on an enthusiast gaming forum, is all I'm saying.

quest

Not Banned from OT
I don't know why anyone is surprised. It is launch cross-gen and multiplatform game. At least for now it looks like a choice of 1080p or 60fps. These are very modest machines and can't brute force their way out. I am sure things will get much better in future games.

antitrop

Too be fair, there is very little noticeable difference between BF3's Ultra and High settings. I wouldn't expect BF4's Ultra to magically become a noticeable increase over what BF3's was in comparison to High.

If they can get all the settings running on the PC equivalent of High on next-gen consoles, that's good enough. But that shit should be 1080/60.

Top Bottom