• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 PS4 runs at 720p native [DICE: Incorrect]

teiresias

Gemüsepizza;77908573 said:
Maybe a thread title update is necessary now that we know that BF4 does not run at 720p but at a higher resolution in the PS4 dev enviroment.

https://twitter.com/jackfrags/status/370894369404227584

jackbf4dks95.png

So I wonder if this means it's currently running at real 1080p or some weird thing with 1080 vertical but a weird horizontal (or vice versa)

I'd much prefer 1080p/30fps rather than 720p/60fps for next gen as long as there's minimal frame drops. Even a medium solution like scaled 1280x1080 is far better than 720p.

So the game should be running at 1080p but DICE chooses not to run it at that resolution just because? Even though they are one of the leading studios when it comes to developing technology. Does that really make sense to you? Hopefully you don't fall back on the common tropes and say they are lazy or incompetent devs because you don't work in a studio like that by being lazy or incompetent.

Also I'd say compared to the alternatives, next gen console GPUs are handicapped, and yes even the PS4's.

You honest to goodness believe DICE has already hit the top ceiling of the console's power with Battlefield 4, even before the console itself releases?

The game is clearly unoptimized, not for "lazy devs" or "incompetence" reasons, but for many others. Budget, time, and/or resource constraints are frequently apparent in cross-gen games like this. Remember DICE has to support several platforms of wildly different power at the same time.

velociraptor

So the game should be running at 1080p but DICE chooses not to run it at that resolution just because? Even though they are one of the leading studios when it comes to developing technology. Does that really make sense to you? Hopefully you don't fall back on the common tropes and say they are lazy or incompetent devs because you don't work in a studio like that by being lazy or incompetent.

Also I'd say compared to the alternatives, next gen console GPUs are handicapped, and yes even the PS4's.
A 7850 runs BF3 at 1080p at 60fps without any problems.

Oh yes, what a handicapped GPU that is.

It also runs Crysis 3 very well, and that looks better than BF4.

You honest to goodness believe DICE has already hit the top ceiling of the console's power with Battlefield 4, even before the console itself releases?

The game is clearly unoptimized, not for "lazy devs" or "incompetence" reasons, but for many others. Budget, time, and/or resource constraints are frequently apparent in cross-gen games like this. Remember DICE has to support several platforms of wildly different power at the same time.

Aren't the GPU's in the consoles almost 2 years old already?

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I think Guerrilla Game's approach is very interesting:

30FPS with maximum eye candy in single-player mode
60FPS for maximum playability in multi-player mode

It is similar to what many PC gamers do:

Up the settings on single player for best graphics, lower settings for multiplayer to get smoother framerate.

leadbelly

Banned
And what is that based on?

Well, as I pointed out already, if it runs similar to BF3 as a number of people in this thread have suggested, then it should run the game pretty well.A GTX 660 can run BF3 in ultra at around 45-50fps. Optimising the game to take full advantage of the specific hardware you'd think would have impressive results.

If you look at benchmarks from crysis 3 you'll not that both the GTX 660 and 7950 run the game at an average of 30fps at 1080p and very high settings. The PS4 isn;'t super high-end in comparison to current PC hardware, but it is better than you may think. And a few years from now you will see some pretty impressive looking games I'm sure.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/03/15/crysis-3-performance-analysis/5

Can someone break this down for me? It's running at a higher resolution in the devkit, but...less than 1080p? Is that normal? What does optimization mean in this case?

Well, as I pointed out already, if it runs similar to BF3 as a number of people in this thread have suggested, then it should run the game pretty well.A GTX 660 can run BF3 in ultra at around 45-50fps. Optimising the game to take full advantage of the specific hardware you'd think would have impressive results.

If you look at benchmarks from crysis 3 you'll not that both the GTX 660 and 7950 run the game at an average of 30fps at 1080p and very high settings. The PS4 isn;'t super high-end in comparison to current PC hardware, but it is better than you may think. And a few years you will see some pretty impressive looking games I'm sure.
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2013/03/15/crysis-3-performance-analysis/5

It's showing its age and its not even out yet.

Guys, never compare battlefield to kill zone and say 'if kill zone can do it....'. Battlefield absolutely dwarfs killzone in terms of scope. It's pathetic to even bring them up in the same sentence.

gtj1092

Read the reasoning in my post maybe? BF is a solid series as is CoD, so if there's nothing else at launch, those games do offer a lot of bang for your buck. I did play both Bad Company games a lot too.

Also I'm not stupid and finding excuses to hate on games. 720p is very disappointing considering the developer and the fact that a lot of the other shooters are 1080p.

I'm pretty sure your Wii u has plenty of 720p games.

zma1013

For multiplayer, anyway.

For singleplayer, locked 30. ABSOLUTE LOCKED THIRTY, is fine with me. You start the jerkin' down to the mid-20s shit is when I start to get pissed off.

I'm fine with a locked 30 for any of it and in my opinion, a locked 30 is much more preferable to a framerate that bounces back and forth between 30 and 60. It's just so bad looking when a framerate bounces around all over the place. So if they can't achieve a locked 60, then a locked 30 is the way to go.

zma1013

That's somewhat disappointing if it stays at 720p, but not too big of a deal as I can barely tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.

Have you actually played a game in true 1080p? Upscaling from 720 to 1080 doesn't count as it looks virtually the same as 720, possibly worse.

ufo8mycat

People keep comparing the PS4 GPU to the HD 7850 or whatever it is and state that card can run BF4 fine at max detail 1080p.

Is there any concrete proof that the PS4 GPU does indeed equal that card in performance, or is it just speculation ?

And another thing, even if the PS4 has the same performance as that GPU, wouldn't you need a certain spec'd CPU in order to take full advantage of that GPU?

Which I would assume the PS4 CPU clearly does not.

I am not a full on tech head so forgive me if the above doesn't make sense.

jet1911

I'm not an expert in that field but... The CPU in the PS4/X1 is kinda on the weak side, maybe DICE need to offload some CPU bound operation to the GPU? Is that possible? If they did that it could take some power away from the GPU to push the resolution higher. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :p

SSM25

Any info on why PS4 is being singled out here? With the way things are between Sony and EA I will not be surprised when the Xbox version is fully 1080p 60 fps with all features from PC.

Anyway, 720p 60fps is OK if consoles can get the full experience seen in trailers. Although, not good news for these brand new consoles.

Dany

Banned
Aren't there a whole bunch of xbox and ps3 games thats native resolutions is 540p, like COD I know this is tangentially related but the games native resolution could be lower and still look as magnificent.

Danneee

Anything less than 1080p and I won't even consider buying it. Just reeks of lazy hastily put together port.

I mean, it's practically BF3.

zma1013

Any info on why PS4 is being singled out here? With the way things are between Sony and EA I will not be surprised when the Xbox version is fully 1080p 60 fps with all features from PC.

Huh? PS3 got the timed exclusive DLC for BF3. Unless something drastically changed, then Sony would be the favored one. It's the polar opposite to the COD deals.

Skeff

Is no one reading the clarification from DICE? their currently running above 720p in the Dev environment and are still targetting 1080p/60 for PS4. Someone was likely told that currently it was running under 1080p and assumed the next resolution is 720p and assumed this wouldn't be increased by launch.

Much ado about nothing.

People keep comparing the PS4 GPU to the HD 7850 or whatever it is and state that card can run BF4 fine at max detail 1080p.

Is there any concrete proof that the PS4 GPU does indeed equal that card in performance, or is it just speculation ?

And another thing, even if the PS4 has the same performance as that GPU, wouldn't you need a certain spec'd CPU in order to take full advantage of that GPU?

Which I would assume the PS4 CPU clearly does not.

I am not a full on tech head so forgive me if the above doesn't make sense.

The PS4's GPU is basically a 7850, yes. Not exactly the same but very similar (PS4's should run a bit quicker, and of course it has 8 GB of GDDR5 to use instead of 1-2GB on market 7850's).

As for the CPU, expect better multithreaded coding from developers next gen to maximise performance over 8 cores on both systems (or however many they're allowed to use of those 8 cores). So bottlenecks should be minimal.

I'm not an expert in that field but... The CPU in the PS4/X1 is kinda on the weak side, maybe DICE need to offload some CPU bound operation to the GPU? Is that possible? If they did that it could take some power away from the GPU to push the resolution higher. Someone correct me if I'm wrong! :p

Nah resolution has nothing to do with the cpu.
it already runs at 60 fps so it means the world simulation is run at 60 fps.
It is the representation of that world that takes to much resources to render at 1080p@60fps. Dice go for 1600:900 at least that should be the floor for next gen resolution.

leadbelly

Banned
It's showing its age and its not even out yet.

It;s not as powerful as current high-end PCs are, but that doesn't mean games won't look impressive. You can't really compare the hardware directly to PC, but as we know it is somewhat similar to a 7850: !.7 TFLOPS vs 1.8 TFLOPS. You'd imagine developers will get more out of the hardware than they would a PC with 7850 in it. In that sense it should be able to run Crysis 3 level graphics at 30fps. That isn't too bad.

Seanspeed

Banned
Read the reasoning in my post maybe? BF is a solid series as is CoD, so if there's nothing else at launch, those games do offer a lot of bang for your buck. I did play both Bad Company games a lot too.

Also I'm not stupid and finding excuses to hate on games. 720p is very disappointing considering the developer and the fact that a lot of the other shooters are 1080p.
If your main reason for being interested in BF4 is because you would like a good multiplayer game for launch, then it would be a massive disservice to yourself to skip out on this game because of its native resolution. The game will still look good, but more importantly, its going to be one hell of an experience to play. I recently picked up PC gaming and am experiencing 64 player Battlefield at 60fps for the first time and its sooooo good for reasons other than the improvement in resolution.

Top Bottom