• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 4 - Xbox One Impressions + Bonus XB1 Controller Impressions & Vid

Row

Banned
Problem with the the XB1 controller seems that they improved a lot of minor things people won't notice much, while at the same time slightly diminishing the aspects of the controller you will notice constantly given how integral they are such as the triggers. All that of course leads to negative impressions.

Titanfall is only a timed exclusive. I personally don't mind waiting for Titanfall, since I'll have Destiny coming out in the Spring.

Do people actually have proof/statement from EA/Respawn that the title will be coming to PS4?

I mean, it could very well end up being a 2-3 year timed exclusive like Mass Effect, in which case - who cares? Titanfall 2 will likely be out by then.

pixlexic

Banned
You haven't been paying attention then. Hell, even several journalists made the same complaints, and that was well before gamers and laymen got their hands on it.

I'm sure it'll be an awesome controller, but I doubt it'll be as good as the 360's. We'll see I guess.

The funny thing is Microsoft added things that 360 gamers disliked about the DS3, that is looser and slightly taller sticks, plus spongier triggers that are now wider and closer to the bumpers.

Im sure its fine. .. need to get one for my pc.

nib95

Banned
Do people actually have proof/statement from EA/Respawn that the title will be coming to PS4?

I mean, it could very well end up being a 2-3 year timed exclusive like Mass Effect, in which case - who cares? Titanfall 2 will likely be out by then.

The 1 year exclusive thing was leaked via Game Informer. Respawn haven't been shy about the fact that it's not off the cards for the PS4 either.

EDIT: Apparently Cboat mentioned the 1 year exclusivity too, but I can't find a link.

gruenel

Unlikely, Mass Effect was exclusive for so long because it was published by MS.

One year exclusivity according to CBOAT.

Cels

so about the whole bumper-trigger thing...

how do people hold their controllers? i use my index finger for both R1/R2 on a dualshock and bumper/trigger on xbox. my friend uses index fingers only for L1/R1 and bumpers, and constantly keeps his middle fingers on L2/R2 and the triggers. I only use this method when the game requires you to press both bumper and trigger at the same time for some reason. I would have thought his method is much more common but with the whole confusion of hitting the should buttons accidentally maybe i'm wrong.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
so about the whole bumper-trigger thing...

how do people hold their controllers? i use my index finger for both R1/R2 on a dualshock and bumper/trigger on xbox. my friend uses index fingers only for L1/R1 and bumpers, and constantly keeps his middle fingers on L2/R2 and the triggers. I only use this method when the game requires you to press both bumper and trigger at the same time for some reason. I would have thought his method is much more common but with the whole confusion of hitting the should buttons accidentally maybe i'm wrong.

Xbox - Rest on LB and RB
PS3 - Rest in space between L1 L2 and R1 R2

Xbone - Rest on LB and RB
PS4 - Rest in space between L1 L2 and R1 R2

ZeroAlpha

Banned
Negative opinions about something related to the XB1? Colour me suprised it's really hard to take people's opinions about that system at all. thankfully won't have to wait long to see for myself.

NoTacos

Holy crap. If a lot of people feel that this controller is also a piece of shit when it's released then MS are in some serious trouble!
If anything we should be skeptical, at least of this guy's x1 controller review. All I've been hearing for the longest is how it's THE perfect controller.

I can believe the part about BF4 though lol oh Microsoft.......

People are expecting too much from next-gen.

I can see lots of angry Amazon reviews from joe-public "hardly any difference from the last console!".

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Ah, the memories...For those who haven't seen it...

input_laghqxmv.gif

Lolll, that is some next gen latency ;).

tusken77

The 1 year exclusive thing was leaked via Game Informer. Respawn haven't been shy about the fact that it's not off the cards for the PS4 either.

EDIT: Apparently Cboat mentioned the 1 year exclusivity too, but I can't find a link.

Yep. The Titanfall guys at Eurogamer were saying "they want to bring it to as many platforms as physically possible by the end of 2014."

mancan92

Banned
Played it at eurogamer and felt like a dream. Didnt have any of the issues hes talking about. Also bumper isnt totally connected to the trigger, I agree though that it is a very stupid shape. The controller in general definitely didnt feel any small infact im sure it is exactly the same and I have quite large hands.

When I played the XBO version at PAX, it looked pretty good but was running at 30ish FPS. Glad to hear this guy's build is 60fps, at least, even with all these problems.

Nutter

That seems more like the TV not having game mode on than the controller having lag.

With that said, its rather unfortunate that impressions on both platforms have been disappointing.

I'm hoping the controller will be good. There have been a few complaints in the past few months, but maybe they aren't a big deal. I really want one for my PC.

Mass Effect was published by Microsoft. Titanfall isn't. And as it's been mentioned before, it's supposedly exclusive for one year.

Yep. The Titanfall guys at Eurogamer were saying "they want to bring it to as many platforms as physically possible by the end of 2014."

Bet you "many platforms" doesn't include the Wii U.

Chobel

When I played the XBO version at PAX, it looked pretty good but was running at 30ish FPS. Glad to hear this guy's build is 60fps, at least, even with all these problems.

There was no XBO version in PAX, it was PC version which makes it odd that BF4 run 30ish fps.

Naminator

Banned
The game looks slightly better than Xbox 360 version of BF3 (I would say 50% better, no where near those videos of Paracel Storm gamescom build)

Games on the PS4 will look slightly better than the Xbox One confirmed.

Gif of the video.

animation1vdlfr.gif

I've had that happen on the xbox 360. It was all due to the latency in the tv. I think we should take this with a grain of salt, many in the media and even normal people have gotten a chance to play around with the controller and this is the first I have ever heard of noticeable input lag. He noted other issues in the build, so it could have been a fault in the build. I highly doubt that DICE would release a game with that much input lag. I have questions about the integrity of op as an unbiased reporter, but he does have evidence for this point.

I don't see how he could give an honest impression of the sensitivity of the joysticks. I also can't see the reason op should be able to give in game feeling impressions, as it seemed that something was really wrong with entire set up he was using.

Nutter

For me personally I would change the bumpers, but other than that I think its a better overall controller, compared to the 360 one.

Goku

Banned
gif is slowed down which exaggerates the latency but yeah heavenly sword is probably one of the worst offenders in this area.

Killzone 2 is a close second/ shared #1. The devs of Killzone however have masked the latency under 'that heavy feel'. So many people still beleive that Killzones 2's latency is a design choice.

As for the OP, stuff like that decreases my excitement for next gen in general :(

I'm beginning to feel like where there is smoke, there is fire, and in the case of the XB1 controller there have been quite a few people who have had "meh" responses to using it for the first time. The most common complaint seems to surround it's shoulder buttons and triggers, which clearly have received quite an overhaul.

Gif of the video.

animation1vdlfr.gif

It's the input lag from the TV people. Please, stop with this nonsense.

Played it at eurogamer and felt like a dream. Didnt have any of the issues hes talking about. Also bumper isnt totally connected to the trigger, I agree though that it is a very stupid shape. The controller in general definitely didnt feel any small infact im sure it is exactly the same and I have quite large hands.

Tried it myself, I think it's the best controller out of the two new systems which is a massive compliment considering how great I think the DS4 is

ethomaz

Banned
Err, it was running on an XBO devkit. I guess that's technically a PC version, but it was at the XBO booth with an XBO controller on an XBO kit.
MS showed Battlefield 4 running on Xbone (devkit, test kit, reatil, etc) the first time at Eurogamer... before they are using PC with a Xbone controller.

nib95

Banned

How could it be more connected out of curiosity?

microsoft-xbox-one-controller-4948_1_610x407.jpg

img6860jpg-5ea6ba_610w.jpg

top-580-100.jpg

I have motionflow set to ON when I play console games on my TV as I like them smooth especially if they are 30fps originally. I rarely notice the difference in input lag if motion is set to OFF or ON tbh, as its so tiny and unoticeable, all I know is it makes games look like 60fps and its a huge plus IMO. Input lag for me is absolutely nowhere near as bad as this video/gif. People must have rubbish tvs if input lag can really be that bad even with motionflow/ non game mode etc wtf? What kinda TV would introduce horrendous lag like in this video? I just don't understand.

That must be either one shit TV or the game isn't finished although its a bit strange a game this close to launch would even have input lag like that. That shouldn't even exist at all or even in early in development as there's no reason it would.

velociraptor

I have motionflow set to ON when I play console games on my TV as I like them smooth especially if they are 30fps originally. I rarely notice the difference in input lag if motion is set to OFF or ON tbh, as its so tiny and unoticeable, all I know is it makes games look like 60fps and its a huge plus IMO. Input lag for me is absolutely nowhere near as bad as this video/gif. People must have rubbish tvs if input lag can really be that bad even with motionflow/ non game mode etc wtf? What kinda TV would introduce horrendous lag like in this video? I just don't understand.

That must be either one shit TV or the game isn't finished although its a bit strange a game this close to launch would even have input lag like that. That shouldn't even exist at all or even in early in development as there's no reason it would.
lol wut

Motionflow introduces a shit ton of input lag. This is a matter of fact. Anything which causes additional processing will introduce input lag.

What TV do you have? I can do some digging to find out what kind of figures your TV has.

I2amza

Hmm. Looking at photos the controller doesn't seem smaller. Guess I will have to try it before I draw any conclusions.

TOYCOFFIN

Banned
If anything we should be skeptical, at least of this guy's x1 controller review. All I've been hearing for the longest is how it's THE perfect controller.

I can believe the part about BF4 though lol oh Microsoft.......

Really?

I've been hearing more glowing reviews about the DS4 than the new Xbone controller--whose complaints primarily lie in the crappy bumpers, the extremely light weight, and the triggers being dampened with no click.

velociraptor

Samsung D7000

33ms in game mode according to HDTVTest.

With Motionflow enabled, input lag is going to be double or triple that. Frankly, anything above 40ms is unplayable IMO.

fake edit:
116ms with Motionflow Smooth. Welp.

I really don't know how it doesn't bother you. I'm very sensitive to input lag. Some console games are nigh unplayable thanks to their atrocious lag. My Samsung has 40 ms of input lag in game mode but even then it bothers me when playing COD online.

Are you fucking kidding me with all these Juniors lately? Jesus.

Sad to hear about the whole thing can't wait to hear NeoGAF's impression of all this stuff after launch... not long now!

ethomaz

Banned

I have a Samsumg PLASMA D8000... in Game Mode (low input lag) it is fine but without Game Mode it is close to unplayable (of course I'm overeating but it is bad)... that's the input of the TV... I can't even describe if the controller have a big input lag too.

a916

Running on dev-kits? Shouldn't they be using actual hardware at this point?

Dev-kits ARE actual hardware... they just come with the ability to debug. Using a retail copy meant getting blu-rays pressed whereas with a dev-kit they can skip that entirely and either burn a copy, or load a built onto the dev-kit itself.

That's why it's likely that the Xbox ONE build they showed is very old. Since they are so busy finishing the game, I don't think they have time to make new updated demos with the latest code.

This is true. A demo build is forked out of the main build. But you expect it to be stable though otherwise it gives off a bad impression (which this does)

Gif of the video.

animation1vdlfr.gif

The year they were demonstrating Halo CE Anniversary (2011?), literally EVERY game at Fan Expo had brutal lag because they were using TV's with the 120hz motion smoothing crap turned on. So I'd take this gif with a grain of salt.

Also, I played Forza 5 at this year's Fan Expo and it was VERY responsive. I really doubt that there's something inherent in the console that would cause this.

Oh, and finally, the description of the controller just makes it sound like a hit piece. When I tried it, I thought it felt incredible and felt every one of the hundreds of millions of dollars they apparently spent on developing it in all the refinements. It definitely felt more responsive in terms of point of articulation on the accelerator and turning radius than the 360 controller was with previous Forza games.

Sojgat

Can't wait to get my hands on the controller and see for myself.

The tiggers and bumpers do look bad, but it's impossible to tell for sure.

Will be amazing if Microsoft have actually spent all that money just to fuck up their controller design,

Top Bottom