• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

Not controllers, not accessories like cameras, and not consoles..... but I have used it on Skylanders and it does work...

For whatever reason BB counts figures as games and not accessories. Discount does NOT work on consoles or accessories.

I'm guessing because figures are sometimes like in game DLC so they can kind of be seen as games.

Darn oh well, already have a pro controller but wanted to add a couple more before Smash drops.

Huh. The Weekly Ad on BB's website says "with purchase and activation."

Has this been changed, or was it like that from the beginning? Wouldn't want to drive to BB for no reason.

Its in the fine print, the front page ad says that but if you go to the fine print it says "Offer includes no contract phone with no activation needed" or something like that.

I don't mean to be so negative about all this, because it really is a fantastic deal-- I'm just concerned over all the red flags popping up left and right. I'll quit with the tinfoil hat speak from here on out ;)

As someone who used to work for best buy... This is an extremely rational way to look at it.

cwistofu

Its in the fine print, the front page ad says that but if you go to the fine print it says "Offer includes no contract phone with no activation needed" or something like that.

Great, thanks! Def going in for 4 years then.

EDIT: Another question--does GCU work for games on Black Friday?

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
As someone who used to work for best buy... This is an extremely rational way to look at it.
Are Best Buy employees going to call and come to our houses begging for us to return the games we buy?

Anyway, I've decided to let my pair of more hardcore Nintendo freak fans use my card since they'll never bump up against the 3 copies per game and my own spending won't clash with theirs. And I, I will set aside $60, turn it into a gift card and start that glorified rental train. Heck, I might even do it again and extend that out for the generation because why not? I'm gonna give the pre-paid phone to the little one because all they need is a dumb phone.

Great, thanks! Def going in for 4 years then.

EDIT: Another question--does GCU work for games on Black Friday?

It should, from what other people in this thread have said it works on games that are on sale/clearance.

Edit: My own question, does anyone know if the 10% trade in bonus from GCU combines with the 50% trade in bonus going on this week?

Are Best Buy employees going to call and come to our houses begging for us to return the games we buy?

I'm not really sure what you are saying exactly. No, I don't think that.

I just agree that Best Buy likes to get customers in with good deals, and change the terms of the plan down the road. Its not uncommon with retail stores. Not saying it will happen, but yea, it might.

Might have to go to best buy this weekend :)

Now I don't have to make my buddy come along with me to buy games anymore lol. Is the promotion just for this week?

Exquisik

It should, from what other people in this thread have said it works on games that are on sale/clearance.

Edit: My own question, does anyone know if the 10% trade in bonus from GCU combines with the 50% trade in bonus going on this week?

Yes it does, but the bonus is not 10% on top of the trade in value plus the 50%. It's 10% of the TIV plus the 50% of the TIV. Basically just multiply the TIV of the game by 1.6. Best Buy always reduce/lower the TIV of all games during the trade in bonus promotion.

Yes it does, but the bonus is not 10% on top of the trade in value plus the 50%. It's 10% of the TIV plus the 50% of the TIV. Basically just multiply the TIV of the game by 1.6. Best Buy always reduce/lower the TIV of all games during the trade in bonus promotion.

Hmm well im contemplating in Smash Bros Brawl since WiiU is coming out and w/ 50% + GCU bonus i'll get $14.40 for it, Splinter Cell Black List is $12.90 w/ GCU + Tax so I thought I'd just do a swap but i feel this isn't the best value for Brawl, though I could be wrong.

I wanted to just say that this GCU is pretty awesome.

The games ring up at $47.99 and if you pre-order, you will get an additional $10 Reward zone certificate on top of it via email.

Carib2g

Banned
Where can I see my current expiration date? I've checked every link on MY Best Buy, but it's nowhere to be seen! Thanks in advance...

DedValve

Banned
I'm curious to know if this still works. I'm in NYC and am visiting cross county mall today and thought I'd take the extra drive up to Best Buy on either Fordham road or Mt Vernon to see if this is still up. I'd save bucket loads on Smash and Pokemon this month.

Carib2g

Banned
I just did it with zero issues a minute ago in Long Island NY...

If only someone would be so kid as to let me know exactly where to see my current expiration date on my damn unlocked membership!

I should be good for the next 4 years...I just want to see some kind of visual proof that this is being tracked properly as far as my expiration date goes...

jmizzal

If someone wants to pioneer this today and see if it still works that would be awesome. If no one has by lunch time I might swing by the Best Buy near work and test it out.

I just checked online and the conditions don't look like they have been changed since yesterday. Keep tabs on this page for the second to last sentence: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mobile-...200050010&type=category&id=pcmcat346200050010

Thanks for the link, i'm gonna go try today, and if they hassle me I will pull up this link on my phone

OraleeWey

Yessiree bob, best that you check soon because by the time I bought my phone they only had like 2 left and everything else was $30 and up.

I just went there a couple of minutes ago. Best Buy is still honoring this. They had a bunch of AT&T Z222's. You just have to ask to get them for you. My total was $16.39. The employees there were amazed at this deal. This was at my local Best Buy thought, but it still works today. Good thru 2018.

I just did it with zero issues a minute ago in Long Island NY...

If only someone would be so kid as to let me know exactly where to see my current expiration date on my damn unlocked membership!

I should be good for the next 4 years...I just want to see some kind of visual proof that this is being tracked properly as far as my expiration date goes...

Sign into Best Buy My Rewards Zone, and then from account home go to overview and then rewards. You'll see it on the right in rather small print.

Double dipped on my way to work this morning with the last AT&T Z222 in stock. Good through 11/1/2018 now, let's hope that Best Buy lasts that long lol

Exquisik

Sign into Best Buy My Rewards Zone, and then from account home go to overview and then rewards. You'll see it on the right in rather small print.

Here's a picture of Falcon's instruction.

Code:
[IMG]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-y9_C6mH5SNU/VFewOvMPfLI/AAAAAAAAIMU/b5txLA96dI4/w1278-h696-no/MyBestBuyGCU.jpg[/IMG]

majik13

dont really have a BB along my commute. After the in store sign up, can you this membership deal be used for online orders? And when you preorder you get an additional 10% coupon for your next order? Can you pre order online for in store pick up? I know Toys R Us doesnt let you do that.

Exile20

dont really have a BB along my commute. After the in store sign up, can you this membership for online orders? And when you preorder you get an additional 10% coupon for your next order? Can you pre order online for in store pick up? I know Toys R Us doesnt let you do that.

Cancelled my preorder of Smash U for that reason, no store pickup. This deal came just in time. Will pickup Smash U Nov 21st.

dEvAnGeL

just did it with a different phone because the one mentioned was out of stock

IMG_0364_zpse97149b2.jpg

IMG_0365_zps42529e86.jpg

Carib2g

Banned

Double dipped on my way to work this morning with the last AT&T Z222 in stock. Good through 11/1/2018 now, let's hope that Best Buy lasts that long lol

Funny enough, I've been doing exactly that the last 2 days and there was never a date listed. But, after returning home after adding another 2 years, it now says 10/25/18...how strange, but I am happy to see confirmation of the expiration date.

I'm tempted to add another 2 years for $15...really can't beat that...but I also have reservations as to if Best Buy will even be around in 2020...

majik13

Cancelled my preorder of Smash U for that reason, no store pickup. This deal came just in time. Will pickup Smash U Nov 21st.

you cancelled your preorder at Toy R Us or Best Buy?

I have a 15% off online order promo at TRU. Hoping Smash will show up for in store pick up on launch day, along with a good free amiibo. Order them online and use my code. But I doubt it will all work out.

SegaShack

dont really have a BB along my commute. After the in store sign up, can you this membership deal be used for online orders? And when you preorder you get an additional 10% coupon for your next order? Can you pre order online for in store pick up? I know Toys R Us doesnt let you do that.

Yes it works online and yes you can preorder for store pick up. Some games when you preorder give you $10 in bestbuy certificates, it's not an additional 10%.

ok looking over a FAQ on the website

Q: Once I am a member of Gamers Club Unlocked, is there a limit to how many new video games I can buy with my 20% discount?
A: Yes. Members are limited to three copies of a new (i.e. not pre-owned) gaming software title per platform, per year. Collector’s and Limited Editions count toward that title limit. Game of the Year editions, usually released much later including additional content do not count toward that limit but would essentially start as a separate game and limit.

sooo after I buy 3 games on say my PS4 I will stop getting the discount for PS4 games that year? I could only get the 20% off for my WiiU and XB1 games?

someone who has used this- can you clarify?

ok looking over a FAQ on the website

sooo after I buy 3 games on say my PS4 I will stop getting the discount for PS4 games that year? I could only get the 20% off for my WiiU and XB1 games?

someone who has used this- can you clarify?

The limit is for the same game. You can only buy 3 copies of the same exact game and get 20%. You can buy as many new, different games as you want and get the discount.

umbra

Just got back, didn't have any problems with the deal and as someone mentioned earlier, it's probably best to just not even mention the special beforehand and let the people ring everything up, just in case you get someone who'll be a pain about the non-contract thing.

Sweet, glad to see it is still working today for people. I'm going to wait until after work and swing by one on the way home and try my luck. Going to have the promo link handy on my phone though just in case.

From what I understand about GCU, this would almost pay for itself with a single $60 preorder. Does that sound about right?

As annoying as it will be to have to go to Best Buy instead of go home on release day and find packages waiting for me, this seems too good to pass up.

DirtyLarry

Worked right away at the Best Buy in Bridgewater, NJ.
They also had the LG 440G TracFone.
$16.04 with tax.

Kid at the register said I was the second person to do it today, so he knew the drill already.

Looks like I will be doing all my video game purchasing from BestBuy the next two years, unless another retailer can somehow beat $12 off from the jump.

Thanks OP for the heads up.

Lizard with a ladder

learnin' with the blacks!
Just got back from Best Buy. Everything went smoothly.

Do they mail us a gamer's club card or are we supposed to give them our telephone number upon checkout every time?

Worked right away at the Best Buy in Bridgewater, NJ.
They also had the LG 440G TracFone.
$16.04 with tax.

Kid at the register said I was the second person to do it today, so he knew the drill already.

Looks like I will be doing all my video game purchasing from BestBuy the next two years, unless another retailer can somehow beat $12 off from the jump.

Thanks OP for the heads up.

I believe I was the person at that Bridgewater Best Buy, haha.

Went back like half an hour ago to pick up COD and get another 2 years. Good till 2018 now.

Top Bottom