• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Buy Gamers Club Unlocked for FREE with purchase of $15 prepaid phone this week.

DirtyLarry

I believe I was the person at that Bridgewater Best Buy, haha.

Went back like half an hour ago to pick up COD and get another 2 years. Good till 2018 now.
Haha that is great. Thanks for making my life easier!
And I was there like a half an hour ago myself and swore I saw someone walking out with what looked like the phone and a game in a small blue Best Buy bag.

Heel

For those curious about the welcome coupons, I just got an email this morning after signing up yesterday.

So if I don't have the gamer club yet, what exactly do I need to ring up?

The Gusto phone, and a 99 dollar gamerclub membership card?

Solidsoul

Banned
I want to thank everyone in this thread with a special nod to the OP. I am now officially a Gamers Club Unlocked member for two years for the first time ever.

I feel proud, earlier this year i quit doing business with Gamestop and now I found a much better place to get my games, not that any place wasn't better than Gamestop already.

To anyone with concerns, $16 is the checkout price. It's totally legit!

Psykoboy2

Worked for me just now as well. I have two different stores on my way into work so when I go home today I'll stop at the other one and do it all over again for 4 years.

dmann

I just purchased the Z222 phone and got GCU for $16.79 (including tax) at the Marietta, GA Best Buy. Checked my account online and I'm good until 2016. I might do this again later this afternoon after I get off work to extend it to 2018.

Great deal!

Chris R

Well fuck. I was going to buy $40 worth of PSN points hoping it would let me get GCU for $30, but GCU for $15 is a better deal!

So, as someone who does little to no shopping at BB, I'm looking for a step-by-step to get this done. I figure I can buy my games, my nephews games, and my bro-in-laws games and save us a ton of money through this. I see stuff about My BB Rewards, GCU, etc., so I have no idea where to start. Let's just assume I have no "club" or "membership" of any kind at Best Buy. How do I get in on this deal?

georly

I want to thank everyone in this thread with a special nod to the OP. I am now officially a Gamers Club Unlocked member for two years for the first time ever.

I feel proud, earlier this year i quit doing business with Gamestop and now I found a much better place to get my games, not that any place wasn't better than Gamestop already.

To anyone with concerns, $16 is the checkout price. It's totally legit!

I'll be trying after work. It'll help w/ my x-mas purchases this year, and then, once I eventually get a PS4, it'll help me buy all the games in my back catalog.

be sure to check your emails from BB- I just got 3 coupons for signing up for GCU yesterday
one-time use coupons:

-B2G1 free on pre-owned games
-save 10% off digital gaming purchase up to $14.99
-50% off purchase of strategy guide

using it for this:
shopping

Psykoboy2

So, as someone who does little to no shopping at BB, I'm looking for a step-by-step to get this done. I figure I can buy my games, my nephews games, and my bro-in-laws games and save us a ton of money through this. I see stuff about My BB Rewards, GCU, etc., so I have no idea where to start. Let's just assume I have no "club" or "membership" of any kind at Best Buy. How do I get in on this deal?

Pretty much spelled out for you in the first post.

Become a rewards zone member (it's free)

Go to best buy and get a Gamer's Club card off the rack.

Go find the phone needed (almost mentioned in the first post).

Give the clerk your rewards zone number (usually attached to your phone number or email, they can look it up either way)

Then have them scan the Gamer's Club card.

Then have them scan the phone.

They may ask you questions about activating the phone or insurance or some shit like that - just say no to all of it. Pay and go. You're done.

Went up to the counter to explain to the clerk what order to scan them in and he interrupts me and goes "Yeah, I know, you're the fourth person today."

I just replied "Oh good" and it worked out.

majik13

Pretty much spelled out for you in the first post.

Become a rewards zone member (it's free)

this part isnt explained in the OP or here. do that in store? online? What info is needed, etc. Where do you do this, or whats the easiest way?
Im likely just gonna google it though.

Just to be clear, you can also use this to extend your GCU membership, correct? Not just start a new one?

explained in the OP and in several posts. yes it extends memebership.

Jetku

Got this yesterday and so tempted to go back and extend my membership an additional two years. Only thing holding my back is the hope that I will have enbraced the digital distribution future by the end of 2016...

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
How do I tell if I have signed up for the membership? The cashier looked confused enough as it is. He scanned and gave me the Gamer Club Unlocked card (there's no actual info on it besides a bar code). I'm on the My Best Buy website and it's not entirely obvious that I'm actually signed up.

Vlade

Just did it with the non-att tracfone (they were sold out of the att one for some reason ;) ). so so awesome. they said this will work for $20 off the smash bundle.

How do I tell if I have signed up for the membership? The cashier looked confused enough as it is. He scanned and gave me the Gamer Club Unlocked card (there's no actual info on it besides a bar code). I'm on the My Best Buy website and it's not entirely obvious that I'm actually signed up.

my rundown:
go to bestbuy.com and make a mybestbuy account. remember your phone number. at best buy ask for 2 years of gamers unlocked. use your phone number when they ask for your mybestbuy account and your unlocked will be added to it. now you can use that phone number for 20% off in store new games.

Rhapsody

Banned
Thanks, got my GCU membership. Got the last AT&T phone there at the SoCal best buy on Tyler. Got through everything without a hassle.

Petrie

Banned
Got this yesterday and so tempted to go back and extend my membership an additional two years. Only thing holding my back is the hope that I will have enbraced the digital distribution future by the end of 2016...

No way. Why the hell would anyone want to "embrace digital" and pay $22 more for each game in doing so?

Physical forever. Or at least until the consoles become Steam.

U2NUMB

My buddy and I did it over lunch.. had to use the Trackfone as the ATT ones were gone.. also only 2 gamers unlocked cards left in the store. extended to 2018 and might do it again at a different best buy on the way home... physical media for games will still be a thing in 2020 right guys?

U2NUMB

As someone kinda entrenched in Gamestop, what are the benefits to using GCU?

20% off any new game.. even if it is on sale. Also learn to pre order games... many of the big games get you $10 back in reward money. You also get double reward points for anything gaming related.

Also little known fact if you have kids into things like Skylanders the 20% off also applies to them.

You also get a bonus for trade ins... for instance lets take a recent game I bought at Best Buy..

Shadow of Moridor
All before tax...
$60 base price
$47.99 - instant discount with club
$37.99 - $10 reward coupon I had from another game applied
---------------Out of the store.. new game 37.99, I received $10 back for pre ordering and double points towards more reward money

Played game.. enjoyed it.. returned it after 3 weeks for $44 with my 10% bonus.

Keep in mind I get that $10 reward coupon to apply to Sunset Overdrive which I did...

It is an AMAZING deal and you will NEVER go back to gamestop.

ok looking over a FAQ on the website

sooo after I buy 3 games on say my PS4 I will stop getting the discount for PS4 games that year? I could only get the 20% off for my WiiU and XB1 games?

someone who has used this- can you clarify?

No, you are limited to purchasing 3 of the exact same game on the exact same platform. So you can buy only 3 Copies of Madden for PS4, but you could also buy 3 Copies of Madden for Xbox One as well. And get the 20% off bonus.

The minute you buy a 4th copy of Madden for either platform, it will not apply the 20% discount.

Get gcu for $4.99 with a price match:

http://www.radioshack.com/tracfone-lg440g-no-contract-phone/1708107.html

With tax and a "Prepaid Wireless E-911 Charge," my total was like $5.70

best buy price matches online deals? news to me if true

No, you are limited to purchasing 3 of the exact same game on the exact same platform. So you can buy only 3 Copies of Madden for PS4, but you could also buy 3 Copies of Madden for Xbox One as well. And get the 20% off bonus.

The minute you buy a 4th copy of Madden for either platform, it will not apply the 20% discount.

was already clarified a few posts later-by Neuromancer, but thanks anyways homie

U2NUMB

best buy price matches online deals? news to me if true

was already clarified a few posts later-by Neuromancer, but thanks anyways homie

I have had them price match Amazon and Target online.. they just look up the website on their computer and if the SKU matches you are good.

this part isnt explained in the OP or here. do that in store? online? What info is needed, etc. Where do you do this, or whats the easiest way?
Im likely just gonna google it though.

explained in the OP and in several posts. yes it extends memebership.

Go Here to sign up for a MyBestBuy Account. This is their Rewards Program. It is on the bottom right of this page to sign up.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/global-promotions/my-best-buy/pcmcat309300050007.c?id=pcmcat309300050007

phalestine

aka iby.h
20% off any new game.. even if it is on sale. Also learn to pre order games... many of the big games get you $10 back in reward money. You also get double reward points for anything gaming related.

Also little known fact if you have kids into things like Skylanders the 20% off also applies to them.

You also get a bonus for trade ins... for instance lets take a recent game I bought at Best Buy..

Shadow of Moridor
All before tax...
$60 base price
$47.99 - instant discount with club
$37.99 - $10 reward coupon I had from another game applied
---------------Out of the store.. new game 37.99, I received $10 back for pre ordering and double points towards more reward money

Played game.. enjoyed it.. returned it after 3 weeks for $44 with my 10% bonus.

Keep in mind I get that $10 reward coupon to apply to Sunset Overdrive which I did...

It is an AMAZING deal and you will NEVER go back to gamestop.

Worth mentioning is also the 10% towards trade ins. I actually traded in Mordor today to bestbuy for 41.xx. Which is more than I paid for the game.

Just did this!

The lady at the checkout was blown away that the computer dropped the charge to $0.00. She thought it was a mistake until I told her that "It's a promotion you're doing." She asked "You're not even going to use this [phone] are you?" "Nope!" I'm cheeky.

She lamented the fact that she just did the $40 promotion last week, but I told her that she could do this one and extend it for 2 years. She thanked me and said she might do that.

Woo! That was so much fun that I might go back later this week and do it again. Just for the lulz.

jmizzal

I might go for the 19.99 smart phone, does these prepaid smart phones work with wifi even if the are not activated? Like can I use it to just download games but just not make phone calls? I could just give it to my nephew so he can download and play games on it.

Top Bottom