• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Science Fiction movie of the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
B0000844I8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I remember kinda liking Stargate when it came out but I bought that DVD awhile back and tried to rewatch that damn thing and it was damn near impossible. Impossible I tells ya! It's beyond stupid. I can't believe I actually enjoyed that at one time.

It is better than Time Cop though.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
DopeyFish said:
mana, any idea if the new stargate movie is coming or not? : <

Who knows. The plan was do to a movie using the TV show cast and then use that movie to launch Atlantis. That was axed and the movie's plot was turned into the Lost City two-parter. Doubt it'll happen.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
The correct response:

B00004TRD8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

But Stargate was cool. If they ever do a Stargate sequel I hope they bring back Kurt Russell and James Spader and pretend that the show never happened.

COCKLES

being watched
JC10001 said:
The correct response:

And if they ever do a Stargate sequel I hope they bring back Kurt Russell and James Spader and pretend that the show never happened.

"LAKE KNIVVES AND STABBEEEEIN WEAPONS!"

I'll raise you a....

matrix-post5.jpg

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
JC10001 said:
The correct response:

But Stargate was cool. If they ever do a Stargate sequel I hope they bring back Kurt Russell and James Spader and pretend that the show never happened.

Hell yes.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
COCKLES said:
"LAKE KNIVVES AND STABBEEEEIN WEAPONS!"

I'll raise you a....

matrix-post5.jpg

Well I'm one of the people who thought the Matrix sucked even before the last two movies came out so....

Actually sucked is way too harsh. It didn't completely suck but I didn't think it was all that great either.

VALIS

JC10001 said:
Because its based on actual events. Its non-fiction.

Really? Tom Hanks and Kevin Bacon are astronauts who nearly went to the moon?

Movie = fiction. Just because it's based on actual events doesn't make it non-fiction.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
VALIS said:

Movie = fiction. Just because it's based on actual events doesn't make it non-fiction.

Sure dude, whatever you say. Good luck finding a single person on this forum who will agree with you on that one.

fic·tion Audio pronunciation of "fiction" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fkshn)
n.

1. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.
2. The act of inventing such a creation or pretense.
3. A lie.
4. A literary work whose content is produced by the imagination and is not based on fact.
5. The category of literature comprising works of this kind, including novels and short stories.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
VALIS said:

It's not non-fiction, but it's also not science fiction. You people are retarded.

karasu

VALIS said:

That doesn't make it sci fi! If that were the case any movie based on anything that involves science is sci fi. Even Kinsey and A Beautiful Mind!

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
VALIS said:

:lol

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
Dan said:
It's not non-fiction, but it's also not science fiction. You people are retarded.

How can an artistic work, be it a book, a movie, or whatever be non-fiction when it is based entirely on actual events? Especially a movie like Apollo 13. Ron Howard, Tom Hanks, etc spent months with the people who lived through it to ensure a high level of accuracy.

If I went to a library and I wanted to read a book about Apollo 13 it would be in the non-fiction section. Why would a movie be any different? I mean I could understand your POV if the movie was loosely based on actual events but Apollo 13 is not one of those movies. Many people have commended the film for its accuracy. The people who lived through it said it was spot on. Heck, all of the dialog between the ground control people and the astronauts was taken verbatim from the actual transcripts and recordings.

VALIS

The Hugo Award for Best Dramatic Presentation is one of the annual Hugo Award categories, presented by members of the World Science Fiction Convention.

* 1996: Babylon 5: "The Coming of Shadows" (IMDb)
o Apollo 13 (IMDb)
o Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: "The Visitor" (IMDb)
o Toy Story (IMDb)
o 12 Monkeys (IMDb)

But that's only a commitee made up of SCIENCE FICTION fans who have been voting on their favorite SCIENCE FICTION works in various mediums for the last 50 years. But what the fuck do they know? A couple know-it-alls on GAF say it's not science fiction! One of you better alert them before they make future mistakes.

http://www.wsfs.org/

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
VALIS said:
But that's only a commitee made up of SCIENCE FICTION fans who have been voting on their favorite SCIENCE FICTION works in various mediums for the last 50 years. But what the fuck do they know? A couple know-it-alls on GAF say it's not science fiction! One of you know-it-alls better alert them before they make future mistakes.

http://www.wsfs.org/

Well the fact that they nominated Toy Story along with Apollo 13 proves that they don't know what the fuck they are talking about.

Toy Story = Fiction, but not science fiction

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
JC10001 said:
How can an artistic work, be it a book, a movie, or whatever be non-fiction when it is based entirely on actual events? Especially a movie like Apollo 13. Ron Howard, Tom Hanks, etc spent months with the people who lived through it to ensure a high level of accuracy.

If I went to a library and I wanted to read a book about Apollo 13 it would be in the non-fiction section. Why would a movie be any different? I mean I could understand your POV if the movie was loosely based on actual events but Apollo 13 is not one of those movies. Many people have commended the film for its accuracy.
A book about the factual events and a movie that recreates those events are not the same thing. Apollo 13 is fiction, regardless of how accurate it is.

fic·tion Audio pronunciation of "fiction" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (fkshn)
n.
1. An imaginative creation or a pretense that does not represent actuality but has been invented.

It's fiction.

-------------------
science fiction
n.
A literary or cinematic genre in which fantasy, typically based on speculative scientific discoveries or developments, environmental changes, space travel, or life on other planets, forms part of the plot or background.

Apollo 13 is however, not fantasy and therefore not science fiction. It's a piece of historical fiction.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
GaimeGuy said:
how about independence day?

Uh no. Independence Day was where the Devlin/Emmerich combo started to go bad. It was great with Stargate, started to go bad at ID4, and died at Godzilla. Emmerich showed with Day After Tomorrow that he wasn't the problem in the duo...

Shinobi

WTF...we just had a T2 orgy thread like two days ago, and it's been mentioned like twice in this thread. I don't get it.

terminator2_1024x768%5B1%5D.jpg

Only 90's sci-fi flick that comes close is Total Recall.

VALIS said:

:lol :lol :lol That's just dumb...

VALIS

Shinobi said:
:lol :lol :lol That's just dumb...

My God, a lot of you just don't understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction, do you? If you want to call Apollo 13 a genre other than science fiction, fine. I think it's sci-fi, so do plenty of other people, but I admit there's room for debate there based on your own definition of science fiction.

However, there is no room for debate that it is a work of fiction, whether it was based off real events or not. Fiction can be based on real events. Fiction can be a dramatic re-creation of actual occurances. People are laughing at me, you're the ones who are flat out wrong. EVERY MOVIE IS A WORK OF FICTION YOU DUMBFUCKS!

:D

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
VALIS said:
My God, a lot of you just don't understand the difference between fiction and non-fiction, do you? If you want to call Apollo 13 a genre other than science fiction, fine. I think it's sci-fi, so do plenty of other people, but I admit there's room for debate there based on your own definition of science fiction.
:D

Are these the same people who think we never landed on the moon?

1. The Matrix
2. T2
3. 12 Monkeys
4. Dark City
5. Total Recall

Stargate is not that great. But I still watch it whenever it's on TV.

With regards to the Dark City vs. The Matrix fight, maybe I'd feel different if I saw Dark City before The Matrix, but The Matrix is just a more entertaining movie. Dark City was very original considering it came before The Matrix, but the production values were just shit compared to The Matrix. That fight at the end of Dark City?? Wow, that was terrible. Still a cool movie.

Bregor

VALIS said:
EVERY MOVIE IS A WORK OF FICTION YOU DUMBFUCKS!

If every movie was a work of fiction, then there would be no need to classify them as fiction or non-fiction.

The events that were represented in the movie Apollo 13 truly occurred, they were not invented. Thus it is non-fiction. This is a simple point that apparently everyone except you understands.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Bregor said:
The events that were represented in the movie Apollo 13 truly occurred, they were not invented. Thus it is non-fiction. This is a simple point that apparently everyone except you understands.

Maybe he's Amish and just escaped the farm and discovered the internet?

"What? Peoples cannot fly in the outer space! This be science fiction! I'm going to go milk the bull now."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom