• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Science Fiction movie of the 90s?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warm Machine said:
It is a good movie but a few scenes just irritate me like when Hawke has to cross the road without his glasses on.

It does have the single most inspirational line in a 90s sci fi with "I didn't save anything for the trip back"

I didn't have any problem with that scene, I thought I was quite plausible and believable. What did you not like about it?

And yeah, that is a great line.

Deku

Banned
temp said:
Actually Total Recall came out in 1990.

I know it's not a great argument or anything, but Star Wars always seemed more like fantasy than sci-fi to me. I mean, and it could be both at the same time, but it never seemed all that sci-fiy to me.

No you're right, it's more fantasy/world war ii in space. I take my statement back.

Sullen

1. Gattaca
2. T2
3. 12 Monkeys
4. Dark City
5. Total Recall

Nothing original in my list, it's very similar to many of the other lists already posted.

Shouta

Most of the ones mentioned in the thread are great. I'd toss Men in Black on my list somewhere. It was such a fun movie.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
Dan said:
It's not reality. It has been invented. Unless all of that dialogue and every aspect is absolutely true to life, there isn't even an argument, let alone tackling the issue of it being a total recreation. It's historical fiction. A basis on real events doesn't make something non-fiction.

Which of the following is non-fiction:
Ron Howard's Apollo 13
or
Apollo 13: The Real Story

If you say both, you're an idiot.

there are plenty of books classified as non-fiction that are not completely true to life. take several american history books for example. the christopher columbus story anyone?

FnordChan

VALIS said:
Said flat out I can understand why some people don't see at as Sci-Fi, however, some people (like the World Science Fiction Society, of all people!) do.

Apologies for dragging the horse out for another round of kicking, but just a quick clarification on the Hugo awards. From the WSFS constitution:

"3.3.6: Best Dramatic Presentation, Long Form. Any production in any medium of dramatized science fiction, fantasy or related subjects which that has been publicly presented for the first time in its present dramatic form during the previous calendar year, with a complete running time of more than 90 minutes."

The key phrase here being "related subjects". For example, the 1970 Dramatic Presentation Hugo was given to news coverage of Apollo XI. So, if the WSFS gives a film a Hugo, it means it's science fiction, fantasy, horror, a mixture of any and all genres, historical fiction, documentary, or just something that a whole bunch of people who attended the Worldcon liked.

As for the best SF movie of the 90s, I'd probably go with 12 Monkeys if cornered. Hell, I could be talked into placing 12 Monkeys in the list of top three SF films ever (the other two being 2001 and Blade Runner) without much difficulty, but that's because I'm a sucker for Terry Gilliam. Granted, I like La Jetee better, but the two flicks are so different from each other that it's a moot point. Other faves include Delicatessen and The City of Lost Children, The Truman Show, and, on the anime front, the two Patlabor movies, Memories, Ghost in the Shell (personally, it puts me to sleep, but I still acknowledge that it's one helluva flick), and Roujin Z. I'm also reminded that I really need to get around to watching Gattaca one of these days, and that I should re-watch The Arrival and Galaxy Quest sooner rather than later.

FnordChan

Memories is all kinds of awesome and almost as good as Robot Carnival but ultimately not as strong as the trio of Starlight Angel, Tale of Two Robots, and Presence. Of the three shorts, Magnetic Rose was instantly my favorite, and still is. I just lovelovelove everything Satoshi Kon.

And I forgot about Roujin Z, for folk that ain't seen it, quick description is battle mechs + elderly healthcare. It is as good as it sounds.

Just to add some str8 up action, I always liked 8 Man After quite a bit.
8 Man missile hunchback + Ninja Scroll beehive hunchback would = supreme villain. Who could stop exploding bees? No One!

jurpark.gif

and

[x-files whore]
B00000ID1X.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

[/x-files whore]

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom