• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biker gang shoot out in Waco, TX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
NYT: Up to 170 face murder-related charges in biker melee:

The police charged about 170 people on Monday in the shootout among rival motorcycle gangs at a busy shopping plaza in this Central Texas city on Sunday that left at least nine bikers dead and 18 others wounded.

Law enforcement officials said the midday gun battle was primarily between the Bandidos and Cossacks gangs, a continuation of a long-running feud between the two groups, though members of the Scimitars — a gang affiliated with the Cossacks — and two other motorcycle clubs were also involved.

The people arrested after the shootout at the Twin Peaks restaurant, in south Waco, were charged with engaging in organized crime linked to capital murder, said Sgt. Patrick Swanton, a Waco Police Department spokesman. It will be up to prosecutors and a grand jury to decide what charges they will ultimately face, but capital murder charges can carry the death penalty.

The gang members were appearing before two magistrates, who were setting bond at $1 million each, said Sue Tweedle, the McLennan County booking supervisor. None of the gang members had posted bond as of yet.

Javaman

I can't help but think how funny it's going to be when the bailed out guys have to rent Kia's to drive back to their home state if the bikes are impounded.

If you have charges pending do you usually have to stay in the state or county that filed them? I wonder where they'll go if they have to stay around.

Jeff-DSA

I can't help but think how funny it's going to be when the bailed out guys have to rent Kia's to drive back to their home state if the bikes are impounded.

If you have charges pending do you usually have to stay in the state or county that filed them? I wonder where they'll go if they have to stay around.

I would assume that being in a gang with very connected resources would label them as flight risk.

If they send 100+ dudes into prison, that's going to be trouble behind walls. They're going to essentially import a gang with already recognized power structure into the prison.

Thug is usually used at a racist term toward blacks, stop making excuses and benine arguments over it. Its a known occurance, now stop discussing it.

If they send 100+ dudes into prison, that's going to be trouble behind walls. They're going to essentially import a gang with already recognized power structure into the prison.
I didn't even consider that. They will obviously bring the beef to prison. At that point you might as well just let them have a free for all.

I also would NOT want to be on that grand jury. Fuck that.

Javaman

Thug is usually used at a racist term toward blacks, stop making excuses and benine arguments over it. Its a known occurance, now stop discussing it.

I've lived in 6 different states and I've never heard it as a "code word" for only blacks. Keep trying to make it racist. It isn't, it's for people of any race who harass civilians or dress like stereotype criminals.

Hylian7

I've lived in 6 different states and I've never heard it as a "code word" for only blacks. Keep trying to make it racist. It isn't, it's for people of any race who harass civilians or dress like stereotype criminals.

...Have you been living under a rock for the last three years or so?

Please, go ahead and post a picture of what you think a "thug" looks like to you.

Carnby

...Have you been living under a rock for the last three years or so?

Please, go ahead and post a picture of what you think a "thug" looks like to you.

latest

I think if white people want to call white criminals "thugs," that's fine. Just be aware that if you're using it to describe a black person, you're using coded language and what you're really saying is "nigger" and no amount of "I ain't never heard of that!" is going to change it.

I think if white people want to call white criminals "thugs," that's fine. Just be aware that if you're using it to describe a black person, you're using coded language and what you're really saying is "nigger" and no amount of "I ain't never heard of that!" is going to change it.

This is bullshit, sorry. Context is everything in language.

Hylian7

I would not be surprised if this restaurant completely shuts down after that, getting the franchise license revoked is probably a pretty big deal in and of itself, however they had good reason to, as the owner didn't heed the warnings from the police.

C4Lukins

Guys, stop talking about the word "thug". If you want to talk about it, start a new thread.

Thank you. I did not want to even participate in this thread because of all of the garbage.

On topic, living in the area, it is funny how local news has covered it so much better then the various cable news networks. A lot of the major cable news networks are acting like all the moto gangs are on their way to Waco to wage war or something. They are not that stupid.

This is attention that they do not want, and while there may be acts of retalliation, these gangs are not stupid in the sense that they will intentionally draw attention to themselves. They do not have a political agenda for the most part and like to operate under the radar.

I saw an interview with a former operative that infiltrated a super violent gang, and he claimed half of them were ex marines. These are dangerous people, but I think their illegal activities trump the simple need for vengeance. They are not going to go Rambo and increase the local, state, and federal focus on their operations.

Javaman

Thank you. I did not want to even participate in this thread because of all of the garbage.

On topic, living in the area, it is funny how local news has covered it so much better then the various cable news networks. A lot of the major cable news networks are acting like all the moto gangs are on their way to Waco to wage war or something. They are not that stupid.

This is attention that they do not want, and while there may be acts of retalliation, these gangs are not stupid in the sense that they will intentionally draw attention to themselves. They do not have a political agenda for the most part and like to operate under the radar.

I saw an interview with a former operative that infiltrated a super violent gang, and he claimed half of them were ex marines. These are dangerous people, but I think their illegal activities trump the simple need for vengeance. They are not going to go Rambo and increase the local, state, and federal focus on their operations.

I wonder how many of them showed up and were caught off guard by the cops waiting for them. Riding a bike isn't very cell phone friendly so I'd imagine they were trickling in for a couple of hours until word spread.

Ullus

I did not know Banditos was an international gang, guess that explains why they are so confident here in Sweden.

C4Lukins

I wonder how many of them showed up and were caught off guard by the cops waiting for them. Riding a bike isn't very cell phone friendly so I'd imagine they were trickling in for a couple of hours until word spread.

Do you mean before or after the shootouts? Police were already on the scene anticipating something could happen, which is why the reaction from armed officers was so quick.

If you are talking about gangs trying to get down there afterwards, apparently law enforcement did a good job of intercepting them. Waco is between Austin and Dallas, and there are not a whole ton of routes outside of I-35 between the two. At the point that something went down it would be pretty easy to block off incoming gang members and tell them to turn back.

Hylian7

I used to live near Waco myself, it's crazy that this is the most violent thing that's happened there since the Branch Davidians, and actually the Branch Davidians was not in Waco city limits technically, just commonly associated with Waco because it was so close, just like how the fertilizer plant explosion in 2013 was labeled as "Waco" by some national media, but it was actually in West, which is a good distance from Waco.

It's extremely lucky that no civilians got hurt during this though, as this was in a busy strip mall on the corner of I-35 and Highway 6. For perspective, there's a Best Buy and Kohls in walking distance of that Twin Peaks.

KDR_11k

Odd how many people here never heard of the Bandidos before. I mean, here in Germany everybody knows that biker gangs are big into drugs and prostitution and fight for turf. Nobody thinks they're really the funny guys from the Werner comics.

The Guardian story on the matter said that the Bandidos were founded as a social group for ex-soldiers so having a lot of those still wouldn't surprise me.

Hylian7

Saw a friend of a friend from my high school that was a waitress at that Twin Peaks. She was off the day it happened, but they all have basically lost their jobs unless some miracle happens.

PSYGN

Hey, I've occasionally seen some guy riding down the highway on his Harley sporting a leather Cossacks jacket, but he has a stuffed monkey animal riding at the back.

Skull_Splosion

Neo Member
Hate to be the math guy, but that's 30 years.
I'm aware of this now. I wasn't completely sober when I posted that so my math skill(z) suffered. Although, I'm not extremely great at math as is lol.

Also, I thought this was going to be much bigger than it actually was. I know it's a little childish, but I was hoping more bikers to show up and Waco to have declared Marshal Law. I know I'm not helping the "gun-toating-ready-to-fight" Texan stereotype...

That is what came to my mind when I saw that many arrested. They they're all being held on $1m bail each.
Our police department is of decent size, but it's not huge. From what I heard, it took over 3 days to book everyone in. The first night, they had only booked 47 of them. Can you imagine the stacks and stacks of paperwork those desk jockeys had to do?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Holy hell, these Bandidos are looking to become extinct, aren't they?

Texas police warned of new threats from biker gangs

According to the bulletin released on Thursday, members of the Bandidos biker gang with access to military-grade weapons "are supplying the gang with grenades and C4 explosives" to target top level officers and their families with car bombs. The biker gang is seeking revenge after police shot at their members during the shootout in Waco.

The fucking bikers shot at the police first!!!! And now they are butthurt that they lost the fight?

This can't end well for them....

Melon Husk

Holy hell, these Bandidos are looking to become extinct, aren't they?

Texas police warned of new threats from biker gangs
According to the bulletin released on Thursday, members of the Bandidos biker gang with access to military-grade weapons "are supplying the gang with grenades and C4 explosives" to target top level officers and their families with car bombs. The biker gang is seeking revenge after police shot at their members during the shootout in Waco

The fucking bikers shot at the police first!!!! And now they are butthurt that they lost the fight?

This can't end well for them....

Bang bang biggity bang bang biggity bang

http://crimeblog.dallasnews.com/201...apons-at-waco-biker-gang-shooting-scene.html/

Police now say they recovered 318 weapons from the scene — not 1,000 as they previously reported, according to the Waco Tribune-Herald newspaper.

Guns, knives, batons, body armor and an AK-47 were recovered — some were found tucked into kitchen areas, food, vehicles and toilets, spokesman Sgt. W. Patrick Swanton told the newspaper.

Despite not being 1000, 318 weapons is still an insane number to be found in that restaurant. And they were stashed in kitchen areas and toilets? The article is kind of vague about whether they were there since before the incident occurred.

Sounds scary, doesn't it. Generally they are not the fully auto ones used overseas. They are semi auto like 99% of the guns sold in the US. Basically one shot per trigger pull.

I used to have a Polish variant of an AK-74.

Given the firepower of these gangs, though, I'm sure they are using the automatic versions. That all along with explosives have special tax stamps and additional clearance. Expensive too on the legitimate market.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom