• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Billionaire claims enough signatures for ballot measure to split CA into 6 states

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Fucking Jeffersonians, no wonder we beat them at football nearly half the time.

Ferrio

Banned
I'll just leave this here too:
qWX2tvR.png

Well looks like my guess was pretty acurrate. Eitherway, stupid idea no matter which party is pushing the agenda.

This helps and hurts both parties. In the event this passed (it won't) the republicans would lose the senate and would have a harder time holding the house. Larger states get a form of diminishing returns in their delegation if their populations are extremely large (Like CA), this would increase the # of reps "California" gets and they break democratic. However, this would give the Republicans the ability to have a state (not all of them) which adopts conservative policies (and elects them on a regular basis). In all if it is the Map shown above (multiple states) it would be bad for Republicans. If they only did two states, the Republicans could easily call it a victory.

This is only federal legislature concerns. I'm sure there are a multitude of local concerns also but as I'm not from CA I wouldn't know them off the top of my head.

This may hurt Republicans in the legislative branch, but this would be a huge win in the executive. Instead of California being a near default 55 electoral college votes for Democrats, Republicans now have a shot at all but Silicon Valley and West California.

Good enough for me, IMO.

But I'm a huge fan of direct democracy, so there is that.
Why? Given the majority opposition to important social issues of their times, I'm less inclined to believe in the power of direct democracy to be fair and representative, not more.

Good enough for me, IMO.

But I'm a huge fan of direct democracy, so there is that.
I'm fine with voter initiatives, but the minimum signature requirement should be a helluva lot higher than roughly 1/40th of the state's total population.

Imagine if our Constitution allowed federal ballot initiatives and it only required about 8 million signatures to get on the ballot.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
This is an interesting idea, but ultimately I hate it.

Love,
23 year San Diego native. Born & Raised.

Fury Sense

This is all a big scheme about Silicon Valley. All the other lines were drawn willy-nilly. Would be great for SV as a tech and economical hub, but would screw all the other regions that currently depend it.

Erico

Unconfirmed Member
I like how he proposes a new state that encapsulates the entire San Francisco Bay Area, and naming rights of this new state naturally go to Silicon Valley.

Shit's hilarious.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Why? Given the majority opposition to important social issues of their times, I'm less inclined to believe in the power of direct democracy to be fair and representative, not more.

I'm fine with voter initiatives, but the minimum signature requirement should be a helluva lot higher than roughly 1/40th of the state's total population.

Imagine if our Constitution allowed federal ballot initiatives and it only required about 8 million signatures to get on the ballot.
Call me jaded, but I'd like to believe that people have what they deserve in a system that allows more direct forms of democracy, even if that means voting sitty stuff every few weeks.

Of course, for direct democracy to work as it should, the population needs to be properly educated.

Opiate

This helps and hurts both parties. In the event this passed (it won't) the republicans would lose the senate and would have a harder time holding the house. Larger states get a form of diminishing returns in their delegation if their populations are extremely large (Like CA), this would increase the # of reps "California" gets and they break democratic. However, this would give the Republicans the ability to have a state (not all of them) which adopts conservative policies (and elects them on a regular basis). In all if it is the Map shown above (multiple states) it would be bad for Republicans. If they only did two states, the Republicans could easily call it a victory.

This is only federal legislature concerns. I'm sure there are a multitude of local concerns also but as I'm not from CA I wouldn't know them off the top of my head.

I agree to an extent, but if you've seen the drawn maps, they seem to be drawn in a very particular way that manages to turn the hugely democratic state in to 3 clearly democratic states, 2 clearly republican states, and 1 swing vote.

Edit: I see those maps have been posted.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Better names:

Silicon Valley = Hellanois
Central California = Methington
West California = Silicone Valley
South California = Mexico

Timeaisis

I don't see this as a pro-Republican move. Silicon Valley is a very liberal place (see chart on last page). It's more of a pro-silicon valley move.

Either way, Cali should probably be multiple states. 6 is way too many, though. The entire state seems to hinge on the whims of one the west coast, which is stupid and a shame. It'd be good to split it up, if you think about it. Let the new non-west coast states do what they need to do to get their shit together without having to worry about appeasing the folks over in Silicon Valley.

I don't live in CA, so I don't really know what's best for the state. The prosperity gap in CA is a huge issue, though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The problem is that you can't just secede or split by ballot measure. The borders and such are done by the Federal government, not the state government.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
While splitting the state up my not be the worst idea, the purposed way its being split up here is so dumb.

So let's pretend that there's even a 1 in a billion chance that this passes...

Won't the federal government just say no and that will be the end of it?

Edit:

The problem is that you can't just secede or split by ballot measure. The borders and such are done by the Federal government, not the state government.

Yeah, this.

Call me jaded, but I'd like to believe that people have what they deserve in a system that allows more direct forms of democracy, even if that means voting sitty stuff every few weeks.

Of course, for direct democracy to work as it should, the population needs to be properly educated.
Which is arguably why direct democracy doesn't work and why it's often not used. Relying on an educated, fair, tolerant society is for when human nature shows we are terrible at being all of the above. I shudder to think of the state of the US had civil rights, interracial marriage, gay marriage, and other social movements been at the mercy of the democratic mob.

Slayven

We should split up Florida first. Panhandle=Methlandia, Central Florida=Disney World staring the lame Jaguars, and the bottom part=Hotchicksandcocaineville

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
To give a little more background, Draper's plan is a straight up impossibility regardless of whether he spends 10 million or 10 billion on it. The creation of new states requires, under Article IV of the federal Constitution, the consent both of the legislatures of the involved states and of Congress. The chance of Congress approving this plan is zero.

Draper is fucking rich as fuck and when you have that much money, you can put practically anything on the ballot by putting all your resources into getting signatures (which means nothing).

For direct democracy to work as it should, a government should require a compelling number of citizen petitioners in order for an issue to make it on the ballot.

Roughly two percent of California citizens is not a compelling amount.

Even if it (insanely) passed it still doesn't matter - you don't get to just make your own state(s) and the federal government and 49 other states have to go along with it.

Damaniel

Banned
This is just a plan by a rich libertarian-minded guy to get out of paying his fair share of taxes to help the poor people in his state.

Hopefully, Californians as a whole will see this charade for what it is.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Which is arguably why direct democracy doesn't work and why it's often not used. Relying on an educated, fair, tolerant society is for when human nature shows we are terrible at being all of the above. I shudder to think of the state of the US had civil rights, interracial marriage, gay marriage, and other social movements been at the mercy of the democratic mob.
Well, Switzerland does it ok, even with the random racist belch here and there. Granted, their population is highly educated, which is something that California would need in order to improve the quality of its own system.

For direct democracy to work as it should, you should require a compelling number of your citizens petitioning something in order for said issue to make it on the ballot.

Roughly two percent of California citizens is not a compelling amount.
Switzerland makes it with 100,000 signatures out of a population of 8 million, give it or take. Would that be ok with you?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
I don't live in CA, so I don't really know what's best for the state. The prosperity gap in CA is a huge issue, though.

Splitting the state up is not going to solve that. California is an interconnected economy that benefits a huge number of other states in addition to California itself, and throwing down state lines to force a re-negotiation of things like water rights, irrigation sources, food production and exports would just create new and more opportunity for the corrupt elements of government.

Tripon

People in Orange County like to believe they're different from their L.A. brethren.

They're lying to themselves.

Angry Grimace

Even if it (insanely) passed it still doesn't matter - you don't get to just make your own state(s) and the federal government and 49 other states have to go along with it.

Even assuming, for the sake of argument, everyone in California voted for this and the Congress decided it was a fantastic idea, its still likely illegal:

Article IV, Section 3 reads: "New states may be admitted by the Congress into this union; but no new states shall be formed or erected within the jurisdiction of any other state; nor any state be formed by the junction of two or more states, or parts of states, without the consent of the legislatures of the states concerned as well as of the Congress."

The initiative process is not the legislature of the states concerned, moreover, its questionable whether "states concerned" means "the state of California as presented right now," or "each of the 6 proposed states."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom