• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splitting California into 3 states moves a step closer as billionaire gets enough signatures

dolabla

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/20...ing-california-three-step-closer-billionaire/

The chance of California splitting into three has moved a step closer after a billionaire secured enough signatures to trigger a referendum on the issue.

Tim Draper, who made his money through Hotmail and Skype, has gathered 600,000 signatures supporting the change – way above the 364,000 needed.

Those who want to break up California believe it would boost educational standards and reduce the political power of Sacramento, the state’s capital.

Providing the state authorities agree the signatures are genuine a referendum on the issue will be held this November alongside other mid-term elections.

SDCowboy

The state likely would benefit from splitting into two, but three ways seems a bit much....not that it's likely actually going to happen.

Last edited:

SDCowboy

Good question. I'm not sure how this would go down. I'm interested to see what happens.
Likely nothing happens. The odds of this passing at both the state and federal level are next to zero.

Politically, CA is far too important to the democrats to allow it to be broken up. You'd go from a guaranteed blue state worth a massive amount of electoral college votes, to suddenly it's a tossup. With the way the map I saw broke it up, Southern California would be hard red state, Norther California would likely be a swing state, with only the new "California" being a guaranteed blue state.

Last edited:

NickFire

Hmmmm. Considering how partisan the most visible CA politicians are, it would seem a vote against would be an actual vote to preserve gerrymandering in CA.

some states( mostly in the south iirc) have tried to secede but never happens. Too bad because I want to see what would be the possible fallout if it ever happened

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Must be another Russian idea. Weaken CA for the GOP.

Must be another Russian idea. Weaken CA for the GOP.

I think it is more likely to be Sasquatch. Maybe the Loch Ness monster. All more likely than muh Russia.

Anyway, good for them. Breaking up centralized governments into smaller government allows better representation. I hope California breaks apart so that people can control their governments more easily.

Rookje

As a native Californian who's lived in NorCal over 20 years and SoCal over 10, I'd support this. But it is so difficult to pass because of political reasons (re-districting/electoral votes etc.) its virtually impossible.

MrRogers

Living in a place that perpetually has the same party in power for the last thirty years and will continue until the end of time would be a nightmare, especially if your political beliefs are different. Your voice will never be heard. Corruption reigns supreme in such places as well. Its no wonder that some of the most harderned right wingers i know are from california.

theclaw135

Banned
Living in a place that perpetually has the same party in power for the last thirty years and will continue until the end of time would be a nightmare, especially if your political beliefs are different. Your voice will never be heard. Corruption reigns supreme in such places as well. Its no wonder that some of the most harderned right wingers i know are from california.

I'm scared alright, the road to a one-party state is on the horizon. In due time there could be no viable political representation for people like myself.

Last edited:

Diablos

Never going to happen.

As for being concerned about it being such a solidly blue state, maybe move to Texas?

There are red states, blue states, purple states. It’s nothing new.

Last edited:

theclaw135

Banned
Never going to happen.

As for being concerned about it being such a solidly blue state, maybe move to Texas?

There are red states, blue states, purple states. It’s nothing new.

Be my guest. I can't stand hot weather. Not interested in religion either, won't be happy near entrenched conservative values.

Last edited:
I’m Californian, no one wants this, no one has heard about this

Completely not true. This is at least the second attempt by said billionaire. His first attempt was like 6+ states.

Good question. I'm not sure how this would go down. I'm interested to see what happens.

Yes this thing could pass. But if it did pass California would seek federal guidance on how to regroup in a way it could self regulate. The fed could let them break up into three IF it seemed self governance of one state was still not more feesible. Or it could break into two states. It is basically admitting California is no longer able to self govern and it needs help/permission to restructure.

The likelihood of it passing is slim. But these movements are done to motivate the likeminded locals voting bases to vote more regardless of the actualality of it passing.

finowns

Completely not true. This is at least the second attempt by said billionaire. His first attempt was like 6+ states.

Yes this thing could pass. But if it did pass California would seek federal guidance on how to regroup in a way it could self regulate. The fed could let them break up into three IF it seemed self governance of one state was still not more feesible. Or it could break into two states. It is basically admitting California is no longer able to self govern and it needs help/permission to restructure.

The likelihood of it passing is slim. But these movements are done to motivate the likeminded locals voting bases to vote more regardless of the actualality of it passing.

It is true the average person has no idea about this. Not on their radar at all

iamblades

The corruption is the big issue IMO. In a one party state there is no incentive for good governance. You have seen it for decades in places like Chicago and DC, and you are starting to see it in California already.

You see it with the giant boondoggle public works projects like the non high speed high speed rail where the taxpayers were objectively lied to about the costs and the benefits of the projects. You see it with the nonsensical zoning laws and building codes that exacerbate the biggest issue facing the state. Which doesn't even make sense politically for a left wing party to be for protecting the economic interests of land owners, but that's a whole other topic.

Not that you don't have the same incentives for corruption in heavily red areas, but the stakes are generally smaller in the middle of nowhere Alabama than Chicago or LA, so the profit margin on corruption is going to be lower at least.

This is also without getting into the debate about the degree to which a larger government inherently leads to more corruption, but again, that's a whole other topic.

Boogie9IGN

600k signatures seems to disagree. Who's if they are legit of course.

600k out of just about 40m is like 1.5%. That's pretty much no one.

The only people I ever really hear talking about this is the crazy ass hippies in North Norcal

Last edited:
Top Bottom